Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Can the Cormac McCarthy fellatio contingent gently caress off back to their own thread please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Habibi posted:

It's cool, his fans seem to make up for it.
Lots of other jabs may apply but not really pretentious, but I figure you were just going with that one to make a short quip of it. At any rate our discussion about McCarthy and art in general has made the thread worse instead of better I think so I've got nothing more to add along those lines.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I just finished reading Jack Vance's Cugel's Saga and it's interesting to see the difference between the way the two authors treat their protagonists, who are similar on a couple of levels. In Vance's case, the titular Cugel is a glib-tongued, highly skilled but extremely arrogant and otherwise unsavory character and because the author freely portrays his negative elements you tend to find the character very appealing and likeable.

Rothfuss just seems to like his own characters too much, it almost comes off as if he's trying to convince you that Kvothe is this really cool and likeable guy and it really impedes how much I could sympathize with the character. WMF is marginally better in this regard, so maybe Rothfuss realizes it too.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
The only thing I don't understand is why people who like good literature read my lovely pulpy fantasy books, knowing full well in advance what they're getting into, and then have the gall to complain about it. Honestly.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Danhenge posted:

The only thing I don't understand is why people who like good literature read my lovely pulpy fantasy books, knowing full well in advance what they're getting into, and then have the gall to complain about it. Honestly.
So you want an insular thread where nobody criticizes the book you like? Sorry, that's worthless. There's no "good" and "bad" categories of literature and it's okay to compare mediocre books with exemplary ones and discuss how it could be better or what in fact it's already doing well.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Above Our Own posted:

Rothfuss just seems to like his own characters too much, it almost comes off as if he's trying to convince you that Kvothe is this really cool and likeable guy and it really impedes how much I could sympathize with the character. WMF is marginally better in this regard, so maybe Rothfuss realizes it too.

The problem with this criticism isn't that it's necessarily wrong, but that until we get to the end we won't really know if it's right, and even then it's kind of uncertain. Schrodinger's Criticism, as it were. Because the story is basically narrated by Kvothe, it's really hard to distinguish between Rothfuss writing Kvothe too cool or Rothfuss self-awarely having Kvothe writing himself as too cool. And it's something that's even harder to judge without the whole to look at.

I'm not saying I think it will all work out okay (I'd say the odds are greater that it will end up being an author issue rather than a deliberate one), but it certainly could end up being a case where reading the beginning knowing the end will forgive a lot of the things that are currently annoying people. It's just hard to tell.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There is definitely evidence for Kvothe actually being genuinely as cool as he says: every time his eyes flash or he suddenly glows with arcane power or his voice snaps with authority in the current day omniscient narrator timeline, it undermines the possibility that there could be some subversive unreliable fantasy narrator poo poo going on.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

Liesmith posted:

There is definitely evidence for Kvothe actually being genuinely as cool as he says: every time his eyes flash or he suddenly glows with arcane power or his voice snaps with authority in the current day omniscient narrator timeline, it undermines the possibility that there could be some subversive unreliable fantasy narrator poo poo going on.

A problem I had with it was that anytime he would talk to Deanna I would get serious "Nice Guy" vibes from him. I didn't finish the second book, but from what I've seen in this thread, he eventually blows up at her (and calls her a whore or something? I could be wrong here, sorry if so). In the book, is this depicted as justified or a serious lack of character?

And I like the discussion in this thread, it turned me on to Book of the New Sun and now I am going to check out Cudgel's Saga.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Well, this might just be me, but I wouldn't really have a problem with it if it turns out that Kvothe was actually very good at what he did - smart, gifted at magic, a decent musician, and all that jazz. I think it would be really unrealistic if he wasn't talented in some aspects and still had the reputation that he obviously does. But what I'm hoping could happen is that as the story draws to a close it's revealed in some way that he's either purposely exaggerating (for whatever reason), his tales of grandeur come crashing down around him as falls from grace, or it turns out some external force had been granting him much of his ability.

Like I said, I'm not sure that's likely, but until the next book comes out it's at least a possibility. One that I would like.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Before you read Cugel's Saga you may want to check out the first book, The Eyes of the Overworld.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ostiosis posted:

A problem I had with it was that anytime he would talk to Deanna I would get serious "Nice Guy" vibes from him. I didn't finish the second book, but from what I've seen in this thread, he eventually blows up at her (and calls her a whore or something? I could be wrong here, sorry if so). In the book, is this depicted as justified or a serious lack of character?

And I like the discussion in this thread, it turned me on to Book of the New Sun and now I am going to check out Cudgel's Saga.

It's portrayed as a mistake, but if you read closely it's only a mistake because he actually reveals how he feels about her. Like, it's OK for him to be a douche who feels like he's in the friend zone, but it's not OK for him to tell her he loves her or that she has to belong to him now because he's put in the time. It would be OK if she didn't get mad, though.

Basically Kvothe only ever regrets the things he says or does if they lead to him not getting what he wants.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Above Our Own posted:

So you want an insular thread where nobody criticizes the book you like? Sorry, that's worthless. There's no "good" and "bad" categories of literature and it's okay to compare mediocre books with exemplary ones and discuss how it could be better or what in fact it's already doing well.

My question is why the gently caress are you even comparing it to literature in the first place. Trying to compare some 3rd graders painting of a seashore with a master painter is a dumb exercise

Liesmith posted:

We get the sense that he's really good at magic and also probably at beating the poo poo out of guys but that's literally it. Everything else including I'm an Awesome Sex Guy could just be some 20 year old kid who got lucky making poo poo up.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Liesmith posted:

Basically Kvothe only ever regrets the things he says or does if they lead to him not getting what he wants.
I agree, and I feel like the author almost isn't aware that this is not an admirable quality. Kvothe, although capable of altruism and heroism, is generally a self-serving rear end in a top hat who's constantly painted as a heroic paragon.

Cugel is a complete rear end in a top hat and far more self-serving than Kvothe, and like Kvothe he rationalizes everything he does. The difference is that the author is very clear on what kind of a man Cugel is and I connect much more with the character.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Danhenge posted:

My question is why the gently caress are you even comparing it to literature in the first place. Trying to compare some 3rd graders painting of a seashore with a master painter is a dumb exercise

Because that third grader's painting of a seahorse has been released at a professional level, and as such, is bein compared to other professional works. If you're fine with that little seahorse, then fine. Keep looking at it, But people who look at paintings for a living will tell you that it's bad. I like these books, but I'm not gonna complain when someone knocks them down as bad literature.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I guess The Book Barn frequently makes me irritable and for once it's my own fault.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Danhenge posted:

Your analogy is stupid and doesn't apply since I was comparing two popular, contemporary writers on one specific facet (prose) of writing, and even then only by exaggerated juxtaposition in response to someone questioning why I had described Rothfuss' prose as fantastic (I hadn't).

You completely failed to grasp the context where McCarthy was mentioned and literally nobody here is saying, "Heh, Rothfuss sure sucks compared to SHAKESPEARE" so leave it alone already.

DRLLRKLLR
Sep 22, 2010

Danhenge posted:

You may be joking (I can't tell sorry), but as a counterpoint I don't think everyone necessarily does know that they are getting lovely pulp fantasy. Before I read "Name of the Wind" I had heard only good things about it. In fact the main reason I read this thread was to see if anyone else had similar criticisms to me (they had). Maybe I need to scratch the surface a little more, but every other website I looked at was very complementary about Rothfuss and his work.
Maybe Rothfuss isn't aiming to high (although even as pulp it isn't particularly good), but considering how much praise it gets it's not unreasonable to make some criticism and unless you're saying that the audience for fantasy is unable or unwilling to appreciate good writing I don't see why "genre writing" can't be held to the same standards as everything else.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Above Our Own posted:

You completely failed to grasp the context where McCarthy was mentioned and literally nobody here is saying, "Heh, Rothfuss sure sucks compared to SHAKESPEARE" so leave it alone already.

Yes I literally just admitted that

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Danhenge posted:

Yes I literally just admitted that
Right on, sorry I started composing my long winded post before you replied and failed to make good use of the preview button.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The Road is a terrible book.

But this is not the place to discuss such things, this is the Patrick Rothfuss thread. Does anyone have things to discuss about Patrick Rothfuss or Patrick Rothfuss's works?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

JT Jag posted:

The Road is a terrible book.

But this is not the place to discuss such things, this is the Patrick Rothfuss thread. Does anyone have things to discuss about Patrick Rothfuss or Patrick Rothfuss's works?

I don't read very often, but something about The Name of the Wind just roped me in. I really fell in love with the book once Kvothe started telling his story. While I'm certain;y not a connoisseur of books by any means, I felt that it was a story well told, and it kept me interested through the entire thing. I stayed up almost entire nights telling myself "just one more chapter". I felt It honestly got me reading again for a little while.

The Wise Man's Fear, though, felt far too long, and lumbered in alot of places. It felt slow, and osmewhat disjointed. By the end of the book, I really felt that I wasn't even interested in Kvothe anymore. He just because such a weird and unappealing main character. I really can't put my finger on it, but something made me just sort of angry that he felt himself a hero one way or another, and I got sick of his odd, smug sense of righteouness and superiority.

I will probably still read the 3rd book if it manages to be significantly shorter than TWMF, but after having such a great time reading the first book, I feel like this series won't be one that I remember all that fondly looking back.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm not ashamed to admit that I read, and re-read, The Name of the Wind three-odd times in quick succession in the month or two after I first bought it. And I've read it again a couple or so more times since (including my re-read before purchasing Wise Man's Fear).

The new book, I found serviceable, but it hasn't ignited quite the same fire in me, and I haven't re-read a single page yet since finishing.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
I'm on the sixteenth chapter in The Name of The Wind(I know, I probably shouldn't be here, spoilers and all) and I'm enjoying myself. Now, I don't know if that is because the last 3 books I read were super serious or if it is actually something good. I guess I will find out.

I'm very interested in the chest Kote has locked up in his room. Let me guess, that's a mystery saved for the last book?

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Glug_Glug posted:

I'm on the sixteenth chapter in The Name of The Wind

So you only have a hundred or so chapters to go!

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Pretty much all of the mysteries, including the chest, have been saved for the last book. Which makes this thread relatively safe since there's nothing shocking to spoil because any plot points discussed are more the equivalent of "Luke goes to Cloud City" than "Darth Vader is Luke's father."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ostiosis posted:

To me, nothing - or more accurately, very little - in his interactions with Denna strikes me as being in any way 'justified' or realistic. That whole dynamic is easily one of my least favorite on-going themes in the series, and I cringe every single time they share a paragraph. It's like Rothfuss sat down and thought, "OK, I need these characters to get from point A to point B to point C," and then wrote in the crap that gets them there without any concern for how believable the character interplay actually is.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Habibi posted:

It's like Rothfuss sat down and thought, "OK, I need these characters to get from point A to point B to point C," and then wrote in the crap that gets them there without any concern for how believable the character interplay actually is.
Or he is just completely clueless about normal relationships.

Bonus edit for more Rothfuss:

Rothfuss posted:

A pretty young Asian woman makes eye contact with me. She cocks her head to one side. “Are you Patrick Rothfuss?” she asks.

“I am,” I say.

She looks hesitant, then says, “Can I have a hug?”

“Absolutely,” I say.

And we hug.

I decide that this is probably going to be a pretty good convention.

Rothfuss posted:

We sometimes can pee outside, which is cool, so long as nobody’s watching. And the bathtub is fair game too. But that’s pretty much it in terms of kosher places to pee. Although, come to think of it, the sink is also acceptable in certain rare situations
Rothfuss just go ahead and tell us your username already because you are pure Goon.

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 3, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Above Our Own posted:

Or he is just completely clueless about normal
relationships.
Oh that is absolutely a possibility (read: probability), and one I've brought up once or twice throughout this thread. It's further supported by Kvothe's relationships not with women, but with his regular friends.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Above Our Own posted:

Rothfuss just go ahead and tell us your username already because you are pure Goon.

Hey guys ask me anything.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Ok for Doors of Stone, maybe like, some robots? Some sympathy powered robots.

What do you think?

Mistress Khary
Jan 27, 2005

And if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
He's having an author chat for a few hours now on the Westeros boards:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/55628-qa-patrick-rothfuss-chat-thread/

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Mistress Khary posted:

He's having an author chat for a few hours now on the Westeros boards:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/55628-qa-patrick-rothfuss-chat-thread/

In response to someone asking if the series will be longer than a trilogy:

Patrick Rothfuss posted:

Nope. Three books. A good story needs an ending.

I'm pretty glad about that, since it (hopefully) means that he'll be wrapping the loose ends and mysteries that have been on hold since the first book.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
I posted this:

MarshallX posted:

How do you feel about the love it/hate it praise/criticism of the Fae/Felurian chapters?

Pat Rothfuss posted:

I don't know much about it. I don't spend a lot of time trolling around, looking for online discussions of my work.

I knew some people weren't going to like it, because fantasy readers are mental about having sex in their books. I swear, it's like they're 12 year old boys who still think girls are icky. And kissing them is extra icky.

It stems from the Tolkien tradition, of course. Pretty much no women. No sex. Just a bunch of guys questing and slapping each other on the back. With VERY rare exception, nobody ever talks about a girl (or guy) they might have left at home. Nobody is in love. For all you know, Gandalf is smooth as a ken doll under those robes.

It worked pretty well with Tolkien, because he was following along in this ancient tradition of the Saga. But I'm telling a different sort of story, it's the story of a young man's life. How can I tell the true story of a seventeen year old boy and not have mention of sex in it? Am I supposed to pretend he's been neutered?

Meh. So yeah. As a writer, you get used to the fact that some people are going to hate what you write. You can't live in fear of that. If you do, you'll never get anything done.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Wait, someone praised the Felurian chapters?

You got me Pat, my juvenile perception of sex being icky is why I found something uncomfortable about Kvothe casting Level 4 erotic massage before regenerating his mana to channel lotus petals of orgasmic thrust.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
You don't know anything about it, huh? But you're cool with characterizing everyone in this group you know nothing about as 12 year olds. So the enormous backlash of hate to your lovely elvin fanfiction wish-fulfillment chapters is just that the internet thinks girls are icky. Really? That's what you're going with? The internet hates sex? Do you want to give that one another shot?

Also, you're a goddamn professional writer. Stop saying, "meh."

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

MarshallX posted:

I posted this:

This is the worst thing he could have written. He just doesn't understand the criticism at all, which shows he's completely clueless and Kvothe isn't this deep, lying braggart that a lot of people are hoping, but just a two-dimensional adolescent creep.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Hahaha "I don't really look for criticism" "As a writer, you get used to the fact that some people are going to hate what you write"

Pat studied at the Tim Buckley school of criticism management I see.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Hahaha "I don't really look for criticism" "As a writer, you get used to the fact that some people are going to hate what you write"

Pat studied at the Tim Buckley school of criticism management I see.

Admittedly, I think his books are overhyped, but I didn't read any arrogance in his reply and I think he's actually speaking truth.

Not every piece of criticism need be taken and some just can't be taken without compromising what the story is all about. A lot of people don't like the fact that Scott Lynch's books include swearing and that his characters are thieving jerkwads, either. He can't really do anything about that because the story is about thieving jerkwads and there's a lot of swearing in it.

The sex is creepy and idealized, yes. It's awkward and weird and flowery, but that's kind of the point of the story. Kvothe is a goon. This is his journey. His sex is going to be awkward and flowery and poetic, because that's what sex is to him. Rothfuss can't really do anything to change that without turning Kvothe into a not-goon, which changes the story.

Maybe what makes people upset is that the book does not act or treat Kvothe like a goon, which he most assuredly is (and really, that's what I feel betrays it and makes it hollower). But even though it doesn't appeal to us doesn't mean it doesn't appeal to someone. It's frequently a cop-out to suggest that the reader just doesn't "get it." The reader can often disagree with what's going on, though, and that's usually what happens.

And you can't really take criticism from the internet, let alone criticism from people who disagree with the fundamental idea of the book, because then it's not really your book, but a book by committee. A committee who are interested in what appeals to you and makes you happy being totally wrong and wanting the exact opposite.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

anathenema posted:

Kvothe is a goon.

I think the problem most people have is that Kvothe is a goon because Rothfuss is a goon. It's poor form to self-insert yourself, but it feels like that's what he's done. Since the author hasn't written any other books, we don't know if he can write any other persona, and the characters here are all viewed through a goony lens, especially the women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Its kind of a different thing to say "I left it in because creepy sex scenes that go on for 200 pages define my story" than it is to say "I left it in cause anyone who complains is 12 year olds who think girls are icky"

No one is criticising the inclusion of sex per-say, no one is saying every book is to be a sterile pulp with no growing or emotion, I'm sure there's hundreds of writers who could have handled those scenes much better. But Rothfuss didn't handle it well, its not written creepy and weird because thats it has to be, it was written creepy and weird because (until evidence to the contrary shows) thats the only way he can write.

I get that you cant just listen to every bit of critic that comes your way, thats fair enough, obviously "YOU SUCK AND YOUR BOOK SUCKS" isn't going to help you, nor is "WHY ISN'T KVOTHE IN SAPCE FIGHTING MARTIANS?! WRITE THAT!!!" but you can't seriously argue that "hey maybe he shouldn't have street fighter moves for sex?" isn't a totally fair critic or that it'd break the story at all.

Ignoring the fact that a good lot of readers didn't like how Kvothe learns Dragon Ball Z moves with a sex nymph for a year is one thing, outright insulting anyone who thought it was a terrible part of the book is another. I know this rant seems a little Nerd Entitlement but I really don't mean to imply that SomethingAwful.com should have any real say in what an author writes, or how he writes it indeed. However, that said, there are much better ways of saying "Screw you guys I give no fucks" than saying we're all children for not liking it.

• Locked thread