Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I would like to verify the veraciousness of the The Mike and Tom Eat Snacks recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Seriously. I thought the episode was pretty slower than usual, but then....holy poo poo.

Also listen to Mike and Tom Eat Snacks, people.

I just started listening this week based on the recommendations in this thread. Great stuff and now I want a Lorna Doone, Jim.

I'm reminded slightly of Walking the Room, only with more emphasis on candy and less emphasis on Grip 'Em Ups. (Which is not to say anything bad about WTR, I'm a cuddlah for life.)

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I've gone through about 45 back episodes of Walking the Room in the last 3 weeks. It's fantastic.

I get a little annoyed with MATES, because they pretty much never talk sincerely about anything. They never really joke about anything real, either. It's just a string of goofy jokes. A lot of people like that, but I need something more grounded.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I just wanted to say to our viewers, and I know they're not viewers...

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Teepkick Shakur posted:

When is a good time to go see popular comedians at UCB? I check the schedule on their website and I see a lot of productions with unknowns but last time I checked I didn't see anything for any of the more well knowns but I know they always have shows there. Is there a specific day thats best for catching those comedians or do you happen to know if theres a centralized LA comedy schedule?

Death By Roo Roo (LA Edition) is probably my favorite regular show that UCB does. It's pretty drat solid no matter who shows up but man, if you can see a show where Brett Gelman, Adam Pally, and Curtis Gwinn are all on stage together it's loving hilarious. They're goddamn geniuses.

Always check the schedule. As in check everyday because sometimes a random show (typically a Sat. or Sun. show) will get bumped for something else and tickets can go fast. Before the MTV Movie Awards that Aziz Ansari hosted last year they randomly bumped a different show and he just did stand up. He tried out a lot of new material and also material he was going to use on the MTV Movie awards. It was 5 dollars and he ended up doing about a 2 and a half hour set.

Also ASSSSCAT is always a toss up. Anyone could show up. It depends on how much you're in to comedy though. If I said Andy Daly was going to be there to most of my friends they'd say "who is that?"

But the obvious most consistent lineup is the standup show Comedy Bang Bang. Follow their twitter feed because once they announce the partial lineup/when tickets go on sale they sell out almost immediately because the theater seats so few. But for five bucks I've been able to see a ton great stand up. Louis CK, Maria Bamford, Patton Oswalt, and a ton more.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Teepkick Shakur posted:

TJ Miller, Tom Lennon, Lil Wolverine.

I just want TJ and Tom to take the piss out of L Dubya for 45 minutes.

If you want some piss-taking, then I think Jeff Garland needs to be back. The episode he was on with Christopher Mintz-Plasse where he just shat on the kid for most of the episode was priceless.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

The latest Lou Reads is out. All sorts of forces are being wielded right now to stop this episode from happening. Listen to it before some kind of magic spirit stops me! I am going to run down to my local Santeria and get some more Protection Candles and a can of Money Luck Spray just to cover my bases. So mote it be, ya'll!

Lou Reads from Creepy Hollow: A Place for Spirit Keeping, Spell Casting and Other Nonsense.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Just to see the incredible Len Maltin game, Adam Scott, Edgar Wright, and... uh, someone else who is really good.

I bet Seth or Jonathan would be really good at the Len Maltin game, actually.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Patton Oswalt was frighteningly good at it. I don't think he's been on in a while.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

big business sloth posted:

Seth would ace it.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

big business sloth posted:

Just to see the incredible Len Maltin game, Adam Scott, Edgar Wright, and... uh, someone else who is really good.

I really doubt they would do another person's podcast cause they would've done it by now.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

CortezFantastic posted:

I really doubt they would do another person's podcast cause they would've done it by now.

That ship seems to have sailed post-Jordan and Jesse Go.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Yannick_B posted:

Yeah, that was really terrible.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Yannick_B posted:

Man I didn't even know they did someone else's podcast and not advertise it. Shame it sucked though. I'll probably give it a listen eventually.

edit: I would love to hear them on DLM or Joe Rogan Experience. The latter mostly because he would actually be able to get deep into Seth's psyche instead of the silliness he puts off on UYD. Plus he would probably be able to pull another insane tale out of Jonathan's past.

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 29, 2011

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

CortezFantastic posted:

Man I didn't even know they did someone else's podcast and not advertise it. Shame it sucked though. I'll probably give it a listen eventually.

edit: I would love to hear them on DLM or Joe Rogan Experience. The latter mostly because he would actually be able to get deep into Seth's psyche instead of the silliness he puts off on UYD. Plus he would probably be able to pull another insane tale out of Jonathan's past.

I think they would need to go somewhere the host knows the show and can interact with them properly. On JJGO, Jesse tried to get some rapport/camaraderie and absolutely failed at it. He talked about boning down to Seth and that shut him down for the rest of the show, leaving Jonathan to try and keep the thing afloat.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
How bout Seth and Johnathan on WTF? That would be a trip.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I'm currently on 217 of UYD, and I usually rip through two or three eps a day. What I'm wondering is what happens when you get caught up to the current eps and have to listen week to week? I feel like maybe I'll lose interest like I have with Comedy Bang Bang, which was my favorite podcast before i got deep into UYD.

I think I lost interest in CBB though when Scott stopped saying What's Up Hot Dog. I know that sounds completely ridiculous, but once that stopped it was like the magic just disappeared, where now i don't HAVE to listen to the show, i just get to it when i get to it and only if I like the guests.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

chazburgr posted:

If you want some piss-taking, then I think Jeff Garland needs to be back. The episode he was on with Christopher Mintz-Plasse where he just shat on the kid for most of the episode was priceless.

Really? I thought he came across as a dick - just kept talking over people and giving out homespun wisdom. I mean, I like the guy's work but he really didn't come across well for me.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Binowru posted:

How bout Seth and Johnathan on WTF? That would be a trip.

It would be the only episode of WTF that I would skip.

El Goatherd
Jun 25, 2005

hate is art
Any other Collings and Herrin listening goons present? It doesn't look like there are going to be any more after their rather public breakup. I know it had low production values and was incredibly childish (but still funny) at times but it was still a compulsive listen and I wish they'd kiss and make up already.

That infamous thing Herrin said about Collin's mum remains one of my favorite podcast moments ever.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Really? I thought he came across as a dick - just kept talking over people and giving out homespun wisdom. I mean, I like the guy's work but he really didn't come across well for me.

He just needed people who could push back a little, rather than clam up. I'd like to hear him on Walking the Room or something.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is Keith and the Girl funny?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Oh yeah, I just meant the UYD guys would be good at the Maltin game, I can't imagine how they'd move a show with other people around. And give it to Jesse Thorn to do a dumb poo poo thing while they were on. drat that sounds awkward.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Since I've hated on him in the past, I feel compelled to say that "The Sound Of Young America" is a great podcast, and that Jesse deserves a whole dump truck filled with props for that. That said, I was really dismayed and dissapointed by the "Jordan Jesse Go!" ep with Jonathan and Seth. Such a wasted opportunity. I don't think Jesse was a fan of the show, and he thought they were kind of 'party' type comedians. I really wished he'd have interviewed in a more formal setting for TSOYA

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Holy poo poo, this is Spike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxv-RR2biYo

Ahahahahahah. I didn't picture him as black. Awesome.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is Keith and the Girl funny?

I used to be really, really into KATG, but it's hard as hell to keep up with a daily podcast. Nowadays, I can't get back into it for the same reason that people can't get back into soap operas and comics: so much poo poo has happened that I totally missed. I don't know who's with who (is Keith still with Kat? I hope Keith is still with Kat :ohdear:) and who hates who and who's interning now and ugh.

As for if it's funny... a lot of people here hate Keith. You have to be able to completely ignore his retarded political views, sort of like Adam Carolla. Guests tend to keep him from going off the deep end though (like James Fritz does for Mike David on Red Bar Radio). And I think Chemda is probably the best regular female podcaster. Mainly, though, I loved all the regulars and the guests who just made the show this fun daily drama of relationships and breakups and label signings and castings. It's turned me onto several comedians before they broke out (Myq Kaplan before Last Comic Standing, for example), and I also cried a little when Keith and Chemda revealed they broke up, not gonna lie.

Plus, it's the only podcast I've ever listened to that actually covers "current events" (lots of awesome celebrity mocking), and I think it succeeds there.

Though this is all probably 100+ episodes ago, so who knows. Maybe it's all gone downhil. YMMV :v:

e: Kat and Keith are living together :woop:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 30, 2011

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Ari Shaffir did a storyteller show at a Montreal peeler bar tonight, and Harris Wittels did an x-rated Foam Corner. That dude owns.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

Ari Shaffir did a storyteller show at a Montreal peeler bar tonight, and Harris Wittels did an x-rated Foam Corner. That dude owns.

Holy poo poo, I wish I had seen an X-Rated Foam Corner.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
It was really the Uh Yeah Dudes who were awkward, not Jordan and Jesse. Jordan and Jesse were doing their usual thing, and the UYD guys just didn't want to play along.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
On a vaguely related note, I just saw the Edgar Wright-related Attack the Block, and it was awesome. A really fun low-budget action movie with strong acting and no CGI. Super fun, several notches above standard summer action movies.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

wafflesnsegways posted:

He just needed people who could push back a little, rather than clam up. I'd like to hear him on Walking the Room or something.

I dunno man, I figure if you go on something like that, surely you make an effort NOT to be an rear end around people you've never met unless they give you reason to and Mintze-Plasse seemed like a nice enough guy. I think this was the episode that caused me to bail on DLM, in fact.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
(nevermind)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just listened to the CumOnFood Lou Reads.

:stare:

:barf:

:barf:

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

wafflesnsegways posted:

It was really the Uh Yeah Dudes who were awkward, not Jordan and Jesse. Jordan and Jesse were doing their usual thing, and the UYD guys just didn't want to play along.
Jordan and Jesse did their usual thing, but Seth is not a usual person.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Fil5000 posted:

I dunno man, I figure if you go on something like that, surely you make an effort NOT to be an rear end around people you've never met unless they give you reason to and Mintze-Plasse seemed like a nice enough guy. I think this was the episode that caused me to bail on DLM, in fact.

I know how ridiculous and apologetic I sound saying this, and I also realize Garlin's comedy has always had some "bite" to it, but remember: the guy did have a stroke. I've met a few stroke survivors who honestly have no brain filter to speak of who consequently sound like complete assholes. He even mentioned it as the reason for his behavior during that podcast, and honestly he may have been telling the truth.

Edit:

Fil5000 posted:

And to be fair as well, I think what made me really stop listening to DLM was the banter being interrupted by Doug going "SILENCE IS TIME FOR QUIZ NOW". I get that he has to get off before CBB comes on, but there doesn't HAVE to be a game every time, does there?

I agree; this, and any time Doug interrupts a funny joke or discussion with "what does that have to do with movies?" or whatever, are my two nitpicks of the show.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 30, 2011

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I would listen to Doug Hates Sports.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

plastered quack posted:

I know how ridiculous and apologetic I sound saying this, and I also realize Garlin's comedy has always had some "bite" to it, but remember: the guy did have a stroke. I've met a few stroke survivors who honestly have no brain filter to speak of who consequently sound like complete assholes. He even mentioned it as the reason for his behavior during that podcast, and honestly he may have been telling the truth.

Edit: Vv as would I :) vV

Well to be fair, brain damage is a pretty good reason for having no brain filter. I also don't doubt that the experience of having a stroke probably makes you give less of a poo poo about other people's opinion of you. I guess I must have heard that but it didn't register.

And to be fair as well, I think what made me really stop listening to DLM was the banter being interrupted by Doug going "SILENCE IS TIME FOR QUIZ NOW". I get that he has to get off before CBB comes on, but there doesn't HAVE to be a game every time, does there?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

wafflesnsegways posted:

I've gone through about 45 back episodes of Walking the Room in the last 3 weeks. It's fantastic.

I get a little annoyed with MATES, because they pretty much never talk sincerely about anything. They never really joke about anything real, either. It's just a string of goofy jokes. A lot of people like that, but I need something more grounded.

Walking the Room is my favorite podcast. It might be the only one that I can listen to over and over, and it's hard not to include "grip-em-ups" or Corndogging into everyday conversation. That said, the shows are sometimes uneven due to the improv factor, but its enough that when I listen to it running, I sometimes have to stop due to giggling.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I have been making my way through a lot of the recent WTF's that I missed, and the two I was most surprised about were Demitri Martin, and Nick Thune. They were a lot more interesting than I had anticipated. It was interesting hearing Nick Thune really open up and talk about his faith. It seems like I will always stop listening to WTF for a while, then I will go back to it, and when I do go back to it I realize how good of a podcast it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
UYD is def. the best comedy podcast. I've been slowly listening to every ep over the past year and am on 241 now. Gonna be sad when I run out :(

• Locked thread