Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I liked the idea of Evolution more than the execution, because I love the Horsemen. Although it did largely succeed in getting two new guys way more over than they had been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

crankdatbatman posted:

Also, on that note, how long did Hulk Hogan keep the WWF title in the 80's? I keep hearing it was like a 5 year reign or something like that, but I seriously have no idea how they could book that without it getting stale.

Guys were much less exposed back then. You'd only ever see Name Wrestler vs. Name Wrestler at a house show, on Saturday Night's Main Event or PPV (and there were months between PPVs, not 3-4 weeks). Most of the time on TV, it was jobber squashes. This led to storylines that ran for much longer than they do today and much longer title runs.

Compare that to now where the main guys are on tv every week and PPV every 3-4 weeks. edit - And the shows are 2 hours instead of one, and a main event guy could be in a ton of segments during one episode.

In addition to all that, the business model has changed. TV used to support the live events, which were the real cash cow. Now the live events are there to support TV, PPV and DVD sales, as I understand it.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 28, 2011

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
^^^^^^e;b, I'll just leave my own question in here:

I've got a really specific question. I remember this Orton match where he went for his gutwrench stalling neckbreaker (he's been pulling it out again lately) but the setup got botched like three times. He finally gave up and just did a DDT or something instead, then kinda smirked at the crowd like "yeeeeeah, I know..." What match was this? I feel like it was 2004ish.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oatgan posted:

I remembering loathing the RAW main event scene during the entire tenure of Evolution. Meanwhile, Smackdown had the vastly superior Team Angle :swoon:

and has Hogan done anything that hasn't eventually gotten crazy-stale?

His reality TV show ended early due to his family exploding.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

crankdatbatman posted:

Foochs, don't you go to Wake Forest? I remember you lamenting your team in some TFFs GDTs last season.

Ok, wrestling question: Is there anyone who actually enjoyed Triple H's reign of doom from 2002/2003 or whenever? (I'm not very good with what wrestling happened what year after like the invasion) I remember being kind of bored with it, but marvelling at just how long it would go. I wanted him to keep it for like 3 years just to see if they would actually do that type of booking.

Also, on that note, how long did Hulk Hogan keep the WWF title in the 80's? I keep hearing it was like a 5 year reign or something like that, but I seriously have no idea how they could book that without it getting stale.

Graduate of Wake, yes. Hence why I'm in NC now. :eng101:

HHH's RoT was like, mind-boggling with how awful it was. Evolution got over Randy and Batista but it buried so many other people in the process.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Minidust posted:

I've got a really specific question. I remember this Orton match where he went for his gutwrench stalling neckbreaker (he's been pulling it out again lately) but the setup got botched like three times. He finally gave up and just did a DDT or something instead, then kinda smirked at the crowd like "yeeeeeah, I know..." What match was this? I feel like it was 2004ish.

Holy gently caress, I know this one off the top of my head (kind of). It was during the Booker/Benoit best of 7 series on Smackdown, when Booker got hurt and Orton took over for him. Not sure which match, but it would have been later in the series, I want to say somewhere 4-7.

And I remember it being a bit different than you do - I feel like he tried it a couple times, and Benoit kept sort of blocking it, so Orton just smirked and DDT'd him. Cannot believe I remember this so vividly.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

HHH's RoT was like, mind-boggling with how awful it was. Evolution got over Randy and Batista but it buried so many other people in the process.

I remember everyone absolutely hating how long HHH's run went with that title and the moment it was over they turned around and booked JBL with a 9 month reign on Smackdown and everyone was pissed off again... Well I didn't mind it so much. I love JBL promos.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
JBL and his Cabinet sucked until the tranquillizer/Godzilla promo in Japan. That redeemed the entire thing.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Lone Rogue posted:

JBL and his Cabinet sucked until the tranquillizer/Godzilla promo in Japan. That redeemed the entire thing.

H-h-hes... he's a tyrannosaurus rex... he eats pizza... and little japanese fellas.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

That was the best part of the cabinet part of jbl's heel run.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Toadofsky posted:

If I were a professor and I taught a class in that building I would start every lecture with HEY YO. The students would love me.

"So I'm going to announce the grades for the class project.

Survey says...One more for the good guys."

(heel turn on the dean)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Holy gently caress, I know this one off the top of my head (kind of). It was during the Booker/Benoit best of 7 series on Smackdown, when Booker got hurt and Orton took over for him. Not sure which match, but it would have been later in the series, I want to say somewhere 4-7.

And I remember it being a bit different than you do - I feel like he tried it a couple times, and Benoit kept sort of blocking it, so Orton just smirked and DDT'd him. Cannot believe I remember this so vividly.
Thanks! Based on that I managed to find it on YouTube. It's weird, the first attempt looks as if Benoit is blocking it like you said, but the second attempt definitely looks like a botch, and Orton's reaction to it is even better than I remembered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eEVPIjZD-0&t=3m12s

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Minidust posted:

Thanks! Based on that I managed to find it on YouTube. It's weird, the first attempt looks as if Benoit is blocking it like you said, but the second attempt definitely looks like a botch, and Orton's reaction to it is even better than I remembered:

Haha I remember this, kudos to you Strenuous Manflurry. I thought it was during the Orton/Benoit Raw rematch after Summerslam 2005. Wasn't Orton just coming back from a shoulder injury at the time? Could explain it.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
When Austin returned after his neck surgery and before he turned heel he had a feud with Triple H (I think it was over Triple H running him over with a car). I recall one night Triple H was giving a promo against Austin, with Triple H in the ring and Austin near the entrance. Triple H said something near the end of the promo like "Yeah, Austin, you're a BMF, a big mother fucker", of course the profanity was bleeped out. After he said this, I think Austin looked at him like Triple H had slapped Austin's mother and I think he charged him. Of course, I'm not quite sure Triple H actually said that word but it was implied.

Were they allowed to get away with saying that stuff in front of audiences back then? I know the content was much more adult-oriented back then, but children still went to the shows, I'm sure. I remember the Kat went topless at a PPV once after winning the Women's Championship. Are there any other instances of really adult language, content, or even nudity in wrestling?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

crankdatbatman posted:

When Austin returned after his neck surgery and before he turned heel he had a feud with Triple H (I think it was over Triple H running him over with a car). I recall one night Triple H was giving a promo against Austin, with Triple H in the ring and Austin near the entrance. Triple H said something near the end of the promo like "Yeah, Austin, you're a BMF, a big mother fucker", of course the profanity was bleeped out. After he said this, I think Austin looked at him like Triple H had slapped Austin's mother and I think he charged him. Of course, I'm not quite sure Triple H actually said that word but it was implied.

Were they allowed to get away with saying that stuff in front of audiences back then? I know the content was much more adult-oriented back then, but children still went to the shows, I'm sure. I remember the Kat went topless at a PPV once after winning the Women's Championship. Are there any other instances of really adult language, content, or even nudity in wrestling?
This one jumped to mind, I figure Stephanie was supposed to interrupt The Rock and she was late:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lodEzAzdx8&t=4m09s

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.
Am I the only person who doesn't like El Generico? I find his over-the-top selling to be awful and distracting.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Karl Ontario posted:

Am I the only person who doesn't like El Generico? I find his over-the-top selling to be awful and distracting.

gently caress you. :argh:

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Karl Ontario posted:

I heard about your sort.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Karl Ontario posted:

Eat a dick.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Karl Ontario posted:

Pretty much, yes. Generico owns. He eat your babies, like a buffet.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Karl Ontario posted:

Guess you don't like pro wrestling. Find a new hobby.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Minidust posted:

Okay, that does looked botched. How little I knew of wrestling 6 years ago.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
From the fairly small number of Generico matches I've seen he's definitely lived up to his name :shobon:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

how can someone enjoy this stupid sport and not like el generico?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I dunno I guess I just love wacky characters - and as wacky as a fake mexican is, he doesn't speak and has no discernible personality beyond "he's got a mask! he drops people on the turnbuckle pads!"

... from the stuff I've seen

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
What stuff have you seen?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Beeswax posted:

I dunno I guess I just love wacky characters - and as wacky as a fake mexican is, he doesn't speak and has no discernible personality beyond "he's got a mask! he drops people on the turnbuckle pads!"

Seriously, if you post something like this and try to explain it with "from the stuff I've seen" then you really haven't seen much. I'm being straight with you, watch more of his work.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Beeswax posted:

So you didn't watch anything of Generico's from the entire year of 2010 where he was feuding with Kevin Steen?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Beeswax posted:

It's not that he doesn't speak, he doesn't speak English, and he really doesn't speak Spanish, so you get hosed up promos like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDH5Cp7_4Iw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv6qrCoN3GI

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Wow, you guys are being assholes to the guy. If you took the mask and gimmick away from Generico, nobody would give a poo poo about the guy.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

Wow, you guys are being assholes to the guy. If you took the mask and gimmick away from Generico, nobody would give a poo poo about the guy.

I didn't mean for my comment to be rear end in a top hat-y but couldn't you say the exact same thing about the Undertaker?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

I didn't mean for my comment to be rear end in a top hat-y but couldn't you say the exact same thing about the Undertaker?

Nah, Taker is a tall guy who can (or at least used to) move well. Probably better than anyone else his height. There's a bunch of guys who can do what Generico does.

I wasn't really referring to your comment, but the eat a dick poo poo.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

ChampRamp posted:

I wasn't really referring to your comment, but the eat a dick poo poo.

Christ, it's called a joke.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Lloyd Boner posted:

Yeah, I think we were all being a little bit overly defensive for comedic effect. But Generico is great. He gets across this good-natured, sweet, endearing character so well. And (as I understand it, I mostly seen him in PWG and Chikara, not ROH) his Steen feud was all about him being forced away from those aspects of his character.

Sure, there's a lot of guys who could do the same things he does physically, but I'm not sure how many of them would be as effective in terms of connecting with their audience.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Minidust posted:

This one jumped to mind, I figure Stephanie was supposed to interrupt The Rock and she was late:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lodEzAzdx8&t=4m09s

There was also Austin saying "bullshit blue suit" to Vince about a month or two back on RAW. How that one missed the censor and didn't cause a flap (due to TV-PG) is anyone's guess.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Lots of indy guys can physically do what the other guys do, so I don't really understand that complaint. What sets some above others to me is they're good enough to put the different pieces together and make it great.

Also, this.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Lloyd Boner posted:

Nope, I never joke. I literally want everyone with differing opinions than my own to find a dick, cook it to their liking, and eat it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
El Generico is one of the best wrestlers in the world with or without the mask. Undertaker wasn't consistently having good matches until 2002 or so, so yeah he pretty much just was all gimmick until then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Generico can pretty much work any style of match on any part of the card and make it exciting and compelling to watch, he's an incredible wrestler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

El Generico is the loving best wrestler in the world and has been able to stay so fresh despite the fact that he really hasn't changed anything about his character in 8 years. He is loving awesome.