Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Betting results have been updated on the site!

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_betting_leaders.php?4

Note that it does not appear that HiHo ChiRho has registered at the site, so I was not able to update the site with his results, but everyone else who bet on or participated in the Battle Royale should be there.

rickvoid has jumped out to a commanding lead, but there are still seven rounds of betting to go, and anything can happen!

Bad Munki posted:

I got the email saying my dude wasn't set up. He is now set up. Ready to fail spectacularly (I don't expect to make it past round one but I suspect that if I do, it'll be...quite something.)

We're still waiting on three more players to update their fighters. Once they are done, we can generate the randomized first round matchups, and open them up for betting! Once the matchups are generated, the fighter builds for the first round will be "locked in".

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Krysmphoenix posted:

There's nothing wrong with testing a build to see if it's any good, and to see if you can make it slightly better by getting a iron sword over a copper sword.
I will say that by now, the testers should at least have a build that is "good enough." There really are a lot of factors to take into this, and "the perfect build" isn't going to save you against that Yeti with a helm, armor, and lots of brawling that you forgot to test against.

Testing is antithetical to the spirit of the game, testers should be banned from participation.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Whoops, got Constable Swires' build in place. He's going to die in the first round, but really, I'd expect nothing less of him.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

LCQC posted:

Testing is antithetical to the spirit of the game, testers should be banned from participation.

Winning is all the sweeter when your opponent spent 8 hours tediously maximizing their build. ;)

Plus, since your competition has no idea of what builds they might be facing, there is no way for them to cheese through any particular match-up via testing.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I promise you, despite testing, Smatru is probably going to die anyway.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
How far off are we from the brackets being posted? I would like to get all planny or something.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ImperialGuard posted:

How far off are we from the brackets being posted? I would like to get all planny or something.

As soon as Albedo and Sir Penguin enter their builds things can get started.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:negative:

After 12 hours on planes, this was tear-inducing to come back to. GODDAMN GOBLINS! At least Biggs got the first kill of the tournament, and nothing anyone says will ever change that.

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008
All my winnings here after shall go to ale and hookers for McGruff the Crime Hound gotta keep the kid in shape after all.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Albedo and SirPenguin need to stat out their fighters immediately! If they don't get their stuff entered by sometime Friday, they risk losing control of their characters to another manager!

Speaking of which, if you didn't manage to enter a fighter in time for the tournament, you might have a chance at one of these guys' gladiators. They will be handed out on a first-come, first-serve basis if their owners do not show up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Quit holding up the fights! WE WANT BLOOD! :argh:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Bozikek posted:

Does this not count as multiple enemies? I know it doesn't always happen, I was just hoping it would.

I believe, though I haven't tested this, that being up against multiple Independent opponents (as in a Battle Royale free-for-all) does not trigger a Martial Trance as being up against a team would.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I threw 50+ dwarf contestants into an all-independent free for all. Martial trances can happen like this, but it's rare.

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Set up a massive dwarf free for all with minimal striking skills, GM dodge, shield use and armor user and let them have at it. Trances went off after fighting but it seemed rather rare. So the advantage I was hoping for in my bet was slimmer then I thought.

Edit: Beaten like a kolbold

Edit part 2: Try this for a laugh, set up like I did and see how long it takes for a dwarf to gain enough skill to actually kill another.

Bozikek fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 29, 2011

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Betting results have been updated on the site!

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_betting_leaders.php?4

Note that it does not appear that HiHo ChiRho has registered at the site, so I was not able to update the site with his results,

This horrifying mistake has been rectified.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Joining in on the science, one dwarf versus a team of 58 roosters will constantly drift in and out of martial trances. He will also drift in and out of consciousness, though chickens prove to be incapable of injuring a fully armored combatant even when he passes out from over-exertion. Once the number of chickens dipped below a certain point, he stopped over exerting himself and just murdered them all in short order.

In fairness, I forgot to use Vox's raws for this and just used my default DF setup, so the less-covering armor may not be chicken-proof.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Is the macro working fine for everyone? For some reason, whenever I try it in the official arena build, it assigns equipment fine, but not skills. It is simple to run, so I don't think I'm missing anything there. Female gremlin if that matters.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

jackyl posted:

Is the macro working fine for everyone? For some reason, whenever I try it in the official arena build, it assigns equipment fine, but not skills. It is simple to run, so I don't think I'm missing anything there. Female gremlin if that matters.

The cursor needs to be highlighting the leftmost column (the fighter race list) when you run the macro. I neglected to mention that.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 29, 2011

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Albedo and SirPenguin still have not created their characters. I am considering them abandoned at this point, and putting them up for takeover. The fighters are:

Tsundere Lamia, a female Serpent Man fighter managed by Albedo.

and

Urvad, a male Dwarf fighter managed by SirPenguin.

Those who are currently not managing a gladiator in the tournament may now claim either of these as their own! This includes losers from the battle royale event. Note that if Albedo or SirPenguin show up sometime today, their fighters will be returned, but otherwise, they will be yours for the entirety of the tournament!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Who's taking the anime snake?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Halloween Jack posted:

Who's taking the anime snake?

It looks like Albedo just did finally show up and claim the fighter.

SirPenguin's male dwarf fighter Urvad has still not been outfitted, though, and is available to claim.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
I'll adopt Urvad!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

I'll adopt Urvad!

Please take a moment to register your account at http://arenachallenge.com, and ownership of the fighter will be transferred over to you as soon as Vox gives the go-ahead.

EDIT: If you aren't able to register and activate your account today, the fighter could be given to the first registered and activated player who requests it.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 29, 2011

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Please take a moment to register your account at http://arenachallenge.com, and ownership of the fighter will be transferred over to you as soon as Vox gives the go-ahead.

Approved.

SirPenguin still has 12 hours from the time of the transfer to come back and ask to reclaim Urvad, but for now, Quadratic_Wizard is the proud owner of a brand new dwarf.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Kick the tires on that one.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The fighter's management has been transferred.

Quadratic Wizard, please build your fighter as soon as you get a chance.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Well, now Quadratic Wizard is MIA. Poor Urvad is having an inordinate amount of trouble finding a home!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'll claim that spot, just give me a moment to register!

e: if I do get this, can I swap from a dwarf to a Molemarian?

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 30, 2011

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bogart posted:

I'll claim that spot, just give me a moment to register!

e: if I do get this, can I swap from a dwarf to a Molemarian?

The prevailing policy for "adopted" fighters is that they retain everything other than their original ownership. If we give you the character, will you be able to skill it out tonight? I really want to get things underway.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh, yeah, that's fine. Just figured I'd ask!

vv Okay!

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 30, 2011

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bogart posted:

Oh, yeah, that's fine. Just figured I'd ask!

Assuming that Quadratic Wizard doesn't show up in the next couple hours, and you are available to set up the character immediately, it will go to you.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ok, character made! Thanks for the opportunity. :unsmigghh:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
And with that, all fighters are ready for the tournament!

The first-round schedule should be generated later tonight, at which time the betting window will be open for all first-round matches!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bogart posted:

Ok, character made! Thanks for the opportunity. :unsmigghh:

Excellent!

And so, finally, the tournament begins! Here is a link to the initial scheduling!

Go ahead and place whatever bets you wish via the betting framework built into the site. As soon as a few bets are in place, I can get some fights underway either tomorrow or the day after. I will be doing a bunch of them at once as soon as things get started, so bet now or forever hold onto your money! Note that you'll be betting largely blind for the first round, so pick based upon species, ownership fighter, or even names you like if you wish. In the second round and beyond, you'll have a much better idea of what each fighter is capable of.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 30, 2011

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
I'm gonna bet and I will loose every bet that I made, including this one.

Something is wrong with the above sentence. Can you figure it out?

I wish all the combatants good luck, and show your opponents NO MERCY!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Alright. Betting on all the Kobolds.
Go Team Kobold!

We're going to die horribly...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bet all my dough. I'm going to win and make it big, or be poor and dead.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Bet all my money on every single match. Can't wait until tournament five which will start with 256 gladiators and 128 matches! :shepicide:

Even so, the glorious TED will still come out on top, even if his opponent is several weight-classes higher than him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm up against Bene Elim's character. If the entire planet was one gigantic orgy, that would be about how hosed I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
I'm fighting a dwarf. I'm sure that my death is assured. As such, I've bet all my money on myself. Clearly this is a wise course of action.

• Locked thread