Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Interesting stuff, thanks guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
What is the paperwork one would need for a VA loan? My stepdad lost his records in that stupid repository fire a long time ago, and while he'd qualify for a VA home loan, he'd have to start the ball rolling on all manner of bullshit paperwork to get it.

I really dunno how to even get started on this, or what to tell him. Where could I point him to get things going?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Wild guess says he'd need at the very least his DD214.

Maybe he could try : http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

Or maybe even this : http://www.va-home-loans.com/dd21_request_VA_loan.htm

EDIT: Oh my mad his poo poo was burnt in that fire. poo poo I don't even know!

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Is the south where most people are deployed to?

Sorry if this is really basic, civilian lurker here.

As I understand it, the most unstable regions are in the south. Kandahar is now becoming more unstable by the day and is the homeland of the Pashtus, and Helmund is also ethnic Pashtu I think.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Wild guess says he'd need at the very least his DD214.

Maybe he could try : http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

Or maybe even this : http://www.va-home-loans.com/dd21_request_VA_loan.htm

EDIT: Oh my mad his poo poo was burnt in that fire. poo poo I don't even know!

If it helps, he got out in 96. Dunno what that might have to do with anything record wise, but meh.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh that should be no problem then using those links. I thought you were referring to when HRC basically burnt to the ground but that was in the 70s

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Quick question, would there be public records of Captian's mast/Article 15s over the past few years, I was wondering if there was something like the old thread of court marshals, but for mastings.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Ryand-Smith posted:

Quick question, would there be public records of Captian's mast/Article 15s over the past few years, I was wondering if there was something like the old thread of court marshals, but for mastings.

You mean like for anyone to view? No.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Ryand-Smith posted:

All mast/article 15 information is protected under Privacy Act of 1974. The CO can do the anonymous report in the POD/POW but that's it.

Court Martial proceedings are public record though as long as it doesn't involve minors.

The Sock
Dec 28, 2006
Not sure if this is the right thread but I figured I'd ask it here first.

I got an e-mail from a huge contractor about a possible construction management job in Afghanistan.

Does anyone know much about civilian contractors? Its for an entry-level job in project controls. Anything would be appreciated.

I gave them my number and their HR is supposed to call me with more details as well.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Can anyone of you more knowledgable folks identify the various tanks and other tracked vehicles in this video?
[edit]Never mind, the video was removed by the user.

And can anyone identify this stubby looking tank?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVctIkhCBkY
It's apparently being used by the rebels in the Nafusa mountains.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 2, 2011

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Brown Moses posted:

Can anyone of you more knowledgable folks identify the various tanks and other tracked vehicles in this video?
[edit]Never mind, the video was removed by the user.

And can anyone identify this stubby looking tank?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVctIkhCBkY
It's apparently being used by the rebels in the Nafusa mountains.

T-62 It's hard to tell since the video looks horizontally compressed and the tank is obscured by dust in the only zoom shot.
Edit: The shape of the turret identifies it as a combloc tank and the unsupported suspension and number of drive wheels(T-72 has 6 and a skirt usually, T-54/55 has 5 but irregularly spaced) to me say t-62. It would be easier to tell if the video was higher res so you could see some details that would clinch it. A T-62 makes sense since the Libyans had them in their arsenal.

vains fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 3, 2011

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah, I'd say T-62 as well. It has the cast dome turret, and the slightly flattened top means it's not a T-55.

E: Also, if you look real hard you can see the bore evacuator halfway down the gun tube.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
I have a really important question. I have a flight physical tomorrow and they told me to fast for 12 hours for lab work. Only water and black coffee.

My question is can I drink beer? This is very important because I have beer and I want to drink it. Does light beer count as water maybe?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

manic mike posted:

I have a really important question. I have a flight physical tomorrow and they told me to fast for 12 hours for lab work. Only water and black coffee.

My question is can I drink beer? This is very important because I have beer and I want to drink it. Does light beer count as water maybe?

Only natural ice! or natural light!

For real though don't do it because I did that when I was ETSing and they thought I was dying or something so I had to do all the work again.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

manic mike posted:

I threw mine off drinking orange juice, so I'd suggest skipping it

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

I'm being told 20 different things so I'll just ask here. Google isn't being very helpful.

I'm married, my wife is finishing up a masters degree in another state right now. I'm under the impression that I'll get BAH for where I'm at, and only once I get a place (soon, she'll be out here in a little while)

However, someone told me that there's a way to get bah for where she lives while I live in the barracks here. I think it's crap, but the dude is an e-7 in special forces (family friend) I'm thinking it might be different for special forces. Anyone able to clear it up, or at least point me to where I can look this up?

O-room is full of barracks lawyers (not even admin people, just detailed out) and Finance is full of people tired of dealing with AIT kids trying to beat the system and don't take questions without an appointment.

Edit: Just found out that the answer is nope, I guess he must of misheard or something.

Carnival Rider fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 5, 2011

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
You used to be able to do that with geographical bachelor status but amazingly enough nearly every spouse lived in like 90210 or manhattan. Pretty crazy poo poo.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I saw mentioned in the USMC thread that people sell off extra gear from CIF. I looked through the listings and you can get poo poo like SAPIs and Plate Carriers for like 1/5th of what a similar civilian product would be. Is this legit? Are there any restrictions? (Not that I have any need for this stuff)

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

You used to be able to do that with geographical bachelor status but amazingly enough nearly every spouse lived in like 90210 or manhattan. Pretty crazy poo poo.

Yeah, I was thinking he might have oldish information. Thanks though.

Roope
Dec 9, 2006
Is there an international (military) competition for marksmanship/shooting? If there is one, what is it called? I've searched Youtube for military games, military pentathlon, military olympics etc. but these events seem to concentrate mostly on obstacle courses, swimming and running.

e. Wikipedia says that shooting is actually part of military pentathlon.

Roope fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 5, 2011

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Do fighter pilots have the option to do a simple bailout anymore? I'm thinking in terms of a plane that is:

-limping along badly and barely airworthy
-still relatively controllable
-will not make it back to base

I know there are ejection seats but those are harsh and using one can result in damaged vertebrae.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Pretty sure the parachutes are attached to the seat

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, they are. These days military aircraft are substantially larger and shaped differently from WWII/Korea era aircraft. If you jumped out of the cockpit you'd be well more than liable to hit the leading edge of the wing or get sucked into the engine.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
The Navy T-34 has no ejection seat. They use bailout procedures similar to old WWII fighters. But it's only a training aircraft and it's going to be replaced with the T-6B.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

manic mike posted:

The Navy T-34 has no ejection seat. They use bailout procedures similar to old WWII fighters. But it's only a training aircraft and it's going to be replaced with the T-6B.
Why the hell would Beechcraft call the T-6 the Texan? Yeah, I know it's homage, but that's just horribly confusing. Would be awesome if Navy started flying AT-6/SNJs again.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

grover posted:

Why the hell would Beechcraft call the T-6 the Texan?

Because much like a famous Texan, it never saw combat?

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

GD_American posted:

Because much like a famous Texan, it never saw combat?

he's not even a Texan, he's from Connecticut :ssh:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
For a while I've considered either joining the RAF or the Metropolitan Police (London) but suffer from Bipolar and went through a bout of psychosis about two years ago. I am however currently off medication on the advice of my mental health workers.

From what I've gleaned, and this could well be wrong, you can join the armed forces in the UK with bipolar but not the police.

Just wondering if this is right or not, and whether anyone here has experience of serving with a pre-existing mental health condition?

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Experto Crede posted:

For a while I've considered either joining the RAF or the Metropolitan Police (London) but suffer from Bipolar and went through a bout of psychosis about two years ago. I am however currently off medication on the advice of my mental health workers.

From what I've gleaned, and this could well be wrong, you can join the armed forces in the UK with bipolar but not the police.

Just wondering if this is right or not, and whether anyone here has experience of serving with a pre-existing mental health condition?

When I was going through the recruitment process there were basically three categories of illness/problems/what-have-you. There's

- Fine, we can deal with you having that, we can live with it
- Um, that illness is cool if it's been gone for a while, but recent is a no-go
- Sorry mate, if you've ever had this, you're out of luck

For me, I had depression at Uni. My recruiter freaked out about this, put me under loads of stress and I freaked. Finally got to the doc and he asked about severity, how I dealt with it and when I last had it.

If you're not dependent on medication you've got a better chance, but it depends on where the doc sticks bi-polar in those categories. Best bet is an AFCO (Armed Forces Careers Office) and ask for a medical appointment. Don't neccessarily trust the recruiters, they're not all malicious, some of them just don't have the info.

Oh yeah, I got in, so it's not impossible.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Basic doesn't have a break for the Christmas/ New Year's holiday, does it? That sounds both dumb and really suspect to me.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Eyre Kneed posted:

Basic doesn't have a break for the Christmas/ New Year's holiday, does it? That sounds both dumb and really suspect to me.

Christmas Exodus is real.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

GreenMeat posted:

Christmas Exodus is real.

For most branches, if you're at Marine Corps bootcamp you get to enjoy cleaning or getting hosed up all day on Christmas and New Years.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
When I went to bootcamp you couldn't leave but it was holiday routine for about two weeks. It still sucked though.

Not sure how the navy does these days.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Apparently for guys who end up stuck in Air Force basic over Christmas there's program where families or organizations take them in for the day and feed them.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Casimir Radon posted:

Apparently for guys who end up stuck in Air Force basic over Christmas there's program where families or organizations take them in for the day and feed them.

This must be new. This did not exist (to my knowledge) when i was in basic for christmas in 07.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

When I went to bootcamp you couldn't leave but it was holiday routine for about two weeks. It still sucked though.

Not sure how the navy does these days.

Holiday routine day of, 2 different meats for dinner. Normal day otherwise.

(Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years btw)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Sorry if this got asked on the previous page; I only read this one.

My gf flies enough that she sees military personnel in uniform at airports pretty frequently. She wants to know what the right etiquette for showing appreciation to them.

I knew of this campaign from a while back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfFYxSdKdo
and I don't know if that took off or not. I'd like to hear what if anything people might think is appropriate.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
handjobs most definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet
Seriously either blow them or don't even acknowledge that they're in uniform

• Locked thread