Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Iggles posted:

Didn't Jorah cover all of this in aGoT? Dothraki would kill knights with their awesome archery skills if the lords were foolish enough to meet them in combat. If they hide behind their castle it's fine for a while but wouldn't make them teribly popular rulers. And the smallfolk would all be dead/enslaved. Great plan to rule the now devastated and unpopulated kingdom.

I'm not sure the Dothraki would've been that successful in combat, necessarily. Historically, the Mongols and Tatars did win some notable victories, but over time as European nations began to change their tactics more and more eastern armies were crushed in the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Haraksha posted:

When did this talk of an eighth book come about?

He said here that he's planning on finishing it in seven books but he "know[s] better than to promise anything and write it out in blood. "

Basically he said "I don't want to confirm or deny anything because if it turns into another 'Meanwhile back at the Wall' I don't want to be [as] crucified" and people basically read that as "CONFIRMED: BOOK 8 is a reality".

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

bigmcgaffney posted:

Holy gently caress, coveted NFL Football Player Nnamdi Asomugha signed with the Philadelphia Eagles instead of the NY JETS, author George R.R. Martin has massive coronary

Gurm probably didn't even know who Nnamdi was , but today he - like all Jets fans - will be circlejerking around talking about how that "assomuggah" guy isn't even that good anyway J E T S JETSJETSJETS

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The Winds of Winter is going to open with Jon being revived by Melisandre. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
I hope Aegon dies in the Winds prologue.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Cryle posted:

This is the kind of thing you should figure out from subtext in my opinion? Catelyn brought her back from the dead after she was hung.

That's what I thought too. Am I totally misremembering, or did Jamie say something about Brienne's neck being covered up, like by a scarf or something? I figured it was to hide the hideous rope marks...

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Haraksha posted:

I want to say I was surprised that Jon bit it, but killing off main characters has almost become a cliche in GRRM's books.

He's not permanently dead though, 99% sure Mel will revive him or something.

quote:

Also, what the hell was the Meeereeeneeeseeee Knot? The only guy to actually get to Meereen was Quentyn. Victarion and Tyrion are close but doing their own things.

He has basically said that the problem was figuring out the timeline of when people would arrive, and went through a bunch of iterations, and supposedly fixed the problem by including Barristan as a POV.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Haraksha posted:

The Winds of Winter is going to open with Jon being revived by Melisandre. It's the only thing that makes sense.

My fantasy opening for Winds is a chapter with Stannis back at the wall. It would go along as normal, but end with him "flexing the fingers of his sword hand"

That phrase has been repeated way too many times for it not to be used as a tell later on.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

lapse posted:

He's not permanently dead though,

And this also seems to be a bit of a GRRM problem. Characters don't like staying dead.

Gangringo posted:

My fantasy opening for Winds is a chapter with Stannis back at the wall. It would go along as normal, but end with him "flexing the fingers of his sword hand"

That phrase has been repeated way too many times for it not to be used as a tell later on.

Only too late will they realize that this Stannis never once ground his teeth.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I like how everyone seems to hate Dany for not murdering innocent hostages or just killing off the entire ruling class of her city.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

lapse posted:

He has basically said that the problem was figuring out the timeline of when people would arrive, and went through a bunch of iterations, and supposedly fixed the problem by including Barristan as a POV.

Yeah, I get that's what he said. I definitely read all the interviews, but seeing the final product makes me wonder just how hard it was to get to that point. I guess without Selmy, it'd be pretty tough to really understand what was going on in the Great Pyramid after Dany left, but Tyrion and Victarion aren't there yet.

When he went on and on about not being able to figure out the timeline, I just kind of assumed this meant that those characters would actually have all come face to face with Dany by this point, but that still hasn't even been resolved entirely. Only one of the suitors is taken care of, and we could have gathered that without making Selmy a POV. Instead, the vast majority of the story is Dany putting off her marriage to Loraq, Tyrion going in circles with Jorah, and Quentyn inching forward to Meereen and still being the only one to actually get resolve their plot thread. Victarion doesn't even show up until halfway through the book and his plot is non-essential to this book and could probably have been left until The Winds of Winter (I like them in Dance though because they're exciting and it lets things in Meereen get off to a violent start in the next book).

So it just seems like this knot shouldn't have been as confusing and difficult to work with as he made it out to be.

However, I'm also looking at it as a well thought out finished product and I don't really have any idea what the previous versions of the story looked like.

eXXon posted:

I like how everyone seems to hate Dany for not murdering innocent hostages or just killing off the entire ruling class of her city.

No denying that the hostages were innocents, but empty threats don't defeat enemies. Dany didn't really do anything. Her dragon hosed some poo poo up on its own and she paced around a lot and hosed that guy Daario, but she was never really queenly.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

There was loving 400 pages spent on Dany's woe-is-me-I-want-to-gently caress-Daario poo poo hardly any character development. I can't stand her whiny poo poo anymore and her "I AM THE DRAGON" crap. At this point I'm sick of her I hope Tyrion is a Targ so he can kill Dany, take her Dragons and then go burn down all of Westeros.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

It felt like I was reading bad fanfiction the whole book.

gently caress you GRRM. Mereenese knot my rear end.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Haraksha posted:

Perhaps you should re-read the prologue of ADWD?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
How the gently caress did Tyrion spend the entire book getting to Mereen and still not get in?

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
A whole book of unraveling the "knot" and I'm still not sure what the outcome/point of the entire Slaver's Bay saga is supposed to be. Which would honestly be to GRRM's credit, if I had been given any reason to give a poo poo about Meereen. If.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Zeitgueist posted:

How the gently caress did Tyrion spend the entire book getting to Mereen and still not get in?

He did get in; remember he performed with Penny at the first pit games held since the pits were re-opened.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

A whole book of unraveling the "knot" and I'm still not sure what the outcome/point of the entire Slaver's Bay saga is supposed to be. Which would honestly be to GRRM's credit, if I had been given any reason to give a poo poo about Meereen. If.

Slavery is Bad, dude. Dany is a Champion of Justice.

Dumb girl killed Drogo too early he would have come back about now ready for a sloppy bj.

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 30, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Yeah, it's mentioned how he saw Selmy at one point. Also, was Tyrion ever in Braavos? In one of the Cersei chapters, someone mentions to her that he saw Tyrion at a mummers show in Braavos.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

VaultAggie posted:

Yeah, it's mentioned how he saw Selmy at one point. Also, was Tyrion ever in Braavos? In one of the Cersei chapters, someone mentions to her that he saw Tyrion at a mummers show in Braavos.

It was probably Groat/Penny.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Yeah, this is my problem with the whole Meereen thing - I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo about it at all (I'm really surprised he didn't introduce a new character who was a Harpy to give us some perspective on the struggle but NO! Dany is perfect and slavery is Bad!!). There is nothing interesting about it, and gurm goes and wastes an entire book which we've been waiting for years on without progressing at all. If you had told me that by the end of the book Dany still would not have been out of that loving city, I would have given up and waited until TWOW was out so I can read one after the other. Now I'm stuck fuming that I waited all that time for a book that did not progress the plot in the least.

At least Jaime's and Selmy's chapters were interesting, and Victarion is a total badass. But seriously, basically nothing happened in this book that could not have just been mentioned off screen. The whole time I felt like gurm was just spinning his wheels out of indecision.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Iggles posted:

Didn't Jorah cover all of this in aGoT? Dothraki would kill knights with their awesome archery skills if the lords were foolish enough to meet them in combat. If they hide behind their castle it's fine for a while but wouldn't make them teribly popular rulers. And the smallfolk would all be dead/enslaved. Great plan to rule the now devastated and unpopulated kingdom.

Yeah, it's the archery they need to fear. Historically, excellent horse archery has been the bane of even well trained foot soldiers. The knights and free riders are only a small fraction of any Westerosi army. The bulk is poorly trained peasant infantry led by some decent men-at-arms and serjeants ( :v: ).

quote:

But then you're not really reading, maaaan.

I don't mean to poo poo on anyone who listens to audiobooks, but when you're listening to one, you really are not reading. Just on a very basic level, you're giving up the ability to pause, reread, and speed or slow your pace at your leisure. Sure you can pause and rewind on your ipod or whatever, but it's so much easier when you're looking at words instead of listening to someone speak. There's other reasons why I don't think listening to an audiobook is analogous to reading a book, but I don't want to get into a big derail about it.

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Someone really needs to get updating GRRM's website. It's embarrassingly amateur, and isn't up to date to boot. This guy has an HBO series based off his work... why not put a bit of effort and dedication into it?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Adama posted:

Someone really needs to get updating GRRM's website. It's embarrassingly amateur, and isn't up to date to boot. This guy has an HBO series based off his work... why not put a bit of effort and dedication into it?

The guy still use a DOS machine to do his writing, just be happy you don't dial in to a BBS to get to his site.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

kanonvandekempen posted:

I was thinking about the last daenerys chapter and this is how I interpreted it: She got pregnant because all conditions of the prophecy have been fulfilled:
Stop me if this sounds patronising but you know that women don't have periods whilst pregnant right?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

Audiobooks are bad? I personally can't stand them, but I know a lot of people that "read" books this way and can discuss them just fine.

If they aren't bad, then why can't you stand them? That's bad, isn't it? Sounds bad.

I have some objections to audiobooks.

The first and foremost is that they completely and totally disconnect you from the act of reading. When you make the effort (there is effort involved and that's why so many people don't do it) to read a book, your own mind, your own personality, and your own inner-voice "read it to you." You read descriptions of people, places, and feelings; and you interpret them with examples from your own life experiences. It's what makes reading so personal. You get your own mental picture of what a person sounds like, or looks like, and it's unique to you. This is why seeing a book made into a movie is always somewhat jarring. Worse, you go back to re-read the work and suddenly all you can see and hear is the actors cast and their own tone and voice. The work, as you first interpreted it, is gone forever.

So a guy reading it to you and doing the voices for you completely removes this from the experience. Now, every character sounds like the guy who read it, which also influences your ideas of what they must look like or be like. I think that's bad.

The second reason is that it's just lazy. If you have the capability and the vocabulary to read a book, then the amount of time it takes to read it yourself as opposed to having it read to you is about the same. Ok, so you can't read while driving your car but you can be read to. Save it for when you can sit down and turn the pages, it's better that way.

I make the time to read because it is rewarding in and of itself. Being read to might give you the text, but it also distorts it. And (opinions, remember) it's lazy and it's dumb.

At no point in this answer did I turn into a caricature and say, "reading, maaaaaaaaan."

Feel free to disagree, I'm just making my case.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

PeterWeller posted:

I don't mean to poo poo on anyone who listens to audiobooks, but when you're listening to one, you really are not reading. Just on a very basic level, you're giving up the ability to pause, reread, and speed or slow your pace at your leisure. Sure you can pause and rewind on your ipod or whatever, but it's so much easier when you're looking at words instead of listening to someone speak. There's other reasons why I don't think listening to an audiobook is analogous to reading a book, but I don't want to get into a big derail about it.

I agree with this, but I get the impression that most people who use audiobooks do so for logistical reasons (i.e. they have to spend 2+ hours a day driving), not because they like it better. So showering them in condescendence as if they were lazy illiterates is pretty annoying.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

I agree with this, but I get the impression that most people who use audiobooks do so for logistical reasons (i.e. they have to spend 2+ hours a day driving), not because they like it better. So showering them in condescendence as if they were lazy illiterates is pretty annoying.

Yeah, which is why I don't want to poo poo on the people who are listening to the audiobooks.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have some objections to audiobooks.

Your objections are my own, but that doesn't mean we should derail this thread in an attempt to educate the Philistines.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Dr. Faustus posted:

And (opinions, remember) it's lazy and it's dumb.

[...]

At no point in this answer did I turn into a caricature and say, "reading, maaaaaaaaan."
Audiobooks aren't books for people who don't like to read. Audiobooks are for people who like to read so loving much they wish they could do it while driving to work, mowing the lawn, doing the dishes, etc... I read 25 or more print books a year, and nearly as many in audio format.

I'm genuinely sorry that you don't like them, but your generalizations are off-base, and you DID turn into a caricature. I highlighted your inconsistency in my quote.

If you'd ever consider reexamining your currently held opinions on audiobooks, the full-cast reading of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, with the author himself reading the non-dialogue parts is simply incredible.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Too bad there's only one good book in that trilogy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Roy Dotrice is awesome and the way he reads books is awesome. End of argument.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Phylodox posted:

Roy Dotrice is awesome and the way he reads books is awesome. End of argument.
I split aDwD between audio and print. I listened to it during my commutes and read it on my kindle during my lunch breaks and at home. My only complaint with Roy's reading is that he forgot half the voices for his characters, and no one was thoughtful enough to make a quick reel of samples, so they could refresh him each time a recurring character appeared.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Iggles posted:

Stop me if this sounds patronising but you know that women don't have periods whilst pregnant right?

The women in my family do and don't say whilst

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Krinkle's inbred freakshow family aside women don't generally have periods whilst pregnant

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Mr.Brinks posted:

Yeah, this is my problem with the whole Meereen thing - I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo about it at all (I'm really surprised he didn't introduce a new character who was a Harpy to give us some perspective on the struggle but NO! Dany is perfect and slavery is Bad!!). There is nothing interesting about it, and gurm goes and wastes an entire book which we've been waiting for years on without progressing at all. If you had told me that by the end of the book Dany still would not have been out of that loving city, I would have given up and waited until TWOW was out so I can read one after the other. Now I'm stuck fuming that I waited all that time for a book that did not progress the plot in the least.

At least Jaime's and Selmy's chapters were interesting, and Victarion is a total badass. But seriously, basically nothing happened in this book that could not have just been mentioned off screen. The whole time I felt like gurm was just spinning his wheels out of indecision.

I didn't say this in my previous post, but it's more or less what I was getting at. He spent almost a thousand pages "unraveling the knot", but at the end of the book we're still in Slaver's Bay. We have been in Slaver's Bay since A Storm of Swords. This is going to be a loving 4 book arc before it's all done.

We're getting to "Perrin wishing after his wife" levels of stagnation.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Krinkle posted:

The women in my family do

Are you sure?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Mr.Brinks posted:

A few characters mentioned that some slaves had been generally well-treated by their masters, but now were homeless and starving because Dany abolished slavery. Also one of the Westerosi (Tyrion, maybe?) made a point of stating that even despite slavery being illegal in Westeros, a lot of people were treated as de facto slaves anyway.

That said, the Meereen stuff was still incredibly boring and I've got no problem with GRRM presenting slavery as a negative thing. It's slavery.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, Tyrion was actually something of a voice of reason on it. He had that inner monolog about how every slave makes the choice of life as a slave or death as a freeman and how the life of a peasant in Westeros was in a lot of ways worse than being a slave in the East.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Plus at least with slavery families can stay together whereas out in Westeros you got all these Snows and Flowers and Rivers ridin' round shootin' crossbows and listening to trash sodomite music like "The Bear and the Maiden Fair". You start letting that song get out of control and one day you wake up and you got white walkers pinning cloaks on good highborn ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I enjoyed the book, it wasn't great at all times; but sometimes it was loving awesome. Sometimes it disappointed. That's my opinion. What novels don't ever disappoint??
I think any competently written and edited novel should never disappoint. If there's a section that makes the reader think "god, this is tedious and pointless, when will the author move on," then it should be fixed, and if it's not, I feel entitled to complain about it.

Plenty of novels I've recently read haven't disappointed like Martin (and Rothfuss but this is the wrong thread for him) does for large sections - The Big Sleep, Grand Sophy, Lolita, Foucalt's Pendulum, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Blood Meridian, etc. Sure, the authors are among the best of their genres, but I thought Martin was supposed to be among the best in fantasy.