Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
This one is kind of relevant. Why? Because the PCG review reveals that Montreal is not a proper city hub, and I'm actually really bummed out about this, since I was hoping for a completely non-spoiled hub...

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Needed Cuts - How long in development and they still couldn't fit it all in?
( http://www.trueachievements.com/n4768/deus-ex-human-revolution-needed-cuts.htm )

It was announced earlier this week that Deus Ex: Human Revolution had gone gold and hit their delivery milestone on target.

However, in a recent interview with Major Nelson on his podcast, Jonathan Jacques-Belletete, art director for DE:HR, revealed that during the four years of development, the team had to make a large number of cuts to ensure the game would be finished in time. Such sacrifices even included a complete city hub which had to be removed, apparently to Jacques-Belletete's dismay. Although this was removed quite early in development, other cuts were made very late in the process, purely to ensure that deadlines were met. Jacques-Belletete went on to say that if everything had been included, the game would have had 100+ hours gameplay.

The art director went on to reassure Major Nelson that, despite the edits, there was still 25 - 40 hours of gameplay depending on how much of a completionist the player is, which is comparable to similar games such as Mass Effect. During the interview Jacques-Belletete also revealed how much he felt that games such as Mass Effect and BioShock owed to the original Deus Ex, and how this had finally come full circle with the same games now influencing DE:HR.

Personally, I have always felt that JC Denton was one of the great unsung heroes in videogame history, and none of the games since that first Deus Ex have ever given me quite the same experience. I hope that this prequel can finally deliver.

Major Nelson's Podcast number 404, is still available on iTunes and Major Nelsons website ( http://majornelson.com/podcast/ ). The interview starts at the runing time of 48:43 and is approximately 20 minutes duration.

edit: On a bit more positive note, even if it's kind of irrelevant to the game itself, here are some pictures from the Wooster Street Social Club DX:HR Art event.

Even more pictures can be found here. A video posted on Kotaku can be found here. :)

Tecman fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR_Bob84
Apr 13, 2009
Always sad to read about cuts to a great game. With a complex game like this i can understand time becoming an issue during development. You don't want a DNF on your hands after all.

While i don't really like dlc i will say that if they make a new city hub dlc or something i'll be all over it. The only style of dlc i like are the fallout ones where you get a good 5 hour mini expansion out of it.

EDIT: As long as it does not turn out like KOTOR2 where you notice stuff missing (like a goddamn proper ending) i'll be happy.

DR_Bob84 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 29, 2011

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
To me quality is, in all but the most extreme and specific cases, more important than quantity. As long as they cut the right things, and minimized padding, we'll be in even -better- shape for those cuts. Cuts made that would leave a game incomplete (or deliberately held back for no reason than to sell three weeks later as DLC*) would be crappy though.

*- Not insinuating that that's going to happen with any cut content, this is just an example. I already know about Tracer Tong as well. That's not what I'm talking about.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 30, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
On one hand, I recognize that they probably cut stuff that wasn't good enough to make it into the final game, but goddamn I want it so bad.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Huge portions of Deus Ex were left on the cutting room floor as well. Like the freaking moon and the White House levels.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Tecman posted:

This one is kind of relevant. Why? Because the PCG review reveals that Montreal is not a proper city hub, and I'm actually really bummed out about this, since I was hoping for a completely non-spoiled hub...

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Needed Cuts - How long in development and they still couldn't fit it all in?
( http://www.trueachievements.com/n4768/deus-ex-human-revolution-needed-cuts.htm )

Sad to see my suspicions from earlier this month confirmed, but it really was obvious that there'd be a content hole or they would have whored that 3rd hub out all over the web like they did with Hengsha.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

AngryBooch posted:

Huge portions of Deus Ex were left on the cutting room floor as well. Like the freaking moon and the White House levels.

If only DLC was popular back then...I wish they'd included it in the GoTY edition.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In other words, DX:HR is going to have a lot of DLC.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

I said come in! posted:

In other words, DX:HR is going to have a lot of DLC.

Beats wondering what the hell a moon mission could be like. God drat, I wanna play that. I'd buy DLC for the first one right now!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Beats wondering what the hell a moon mission could be like. God drat, I wanna play that. I'd buy DLC for the first one right now!

Yes, I would as well! A moon mission sounds very cool.

If DX:HR turns out really good, I will for sure buy DLC for it. I have no problems doing that at all for games I really enjoy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You will all buy the DLC on day one, do not deny this. :colbert:

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

FadedReality posted:

Right on. Here's the album.

I didn't think I could get more excited for this game after the beta but it just happened.

I like option 5 on the hostage situation. I want to knock out everyone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

You will all buy the DLC on day one, do not deny this. :colbert:

I will not be peer pressured. :colbert:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I think it'd be cool if they just made a JC Denton model and just put the moon and white house missions in DHXR as a standalone, Minerva's Den type DLC.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Let's just hope, per the extended trailer, that our boy Jensen will make it on the moon in JC's place. :patriot:

Is it wrong if I like Adam Jensen more than JC Denton?

a terrible ivan
Jul 26, 2011

We had an interpreter. He got drunk as a lord when he had to translate. So we cooked him in boiled water.
I don't think that Jensen have to be limited by what JC intended to do. Adam will have a sun mission. There will be a confrontation with a major antagonist of Deus Ex universe (The Sun) and you will be able to resolve it by using one of the following: revolver, ventilation, boxes, sunglasses.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Ripoff posted:

Let's just hope, per the extended trailer, that our boy Jensen will make it on the moon in JC's place. :patriot:

Is it wrong if I like Adam Jensen more than JC Denton?

Not really. JC has some hilarious lines, but overall I never felt any kind of attachment to him. Adam is somehow more endearing while being a :reject: who worked out. He even manages to make the trenchcoat less dorky than JC's.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AxeManiac posted:

The moon mission was to stop a rogue AI that had taken over a mining base and was flinging rocks at the Earth with its mass driver. There's a newspaper in DX that talks about a mass driver mishap, which was one of the surviving bits of foreshadowing. The moon base itself is actually in the game, it was reused as the interior of Area 51.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Pretentious Turtle posted:

He even manages to make the trenchcoat less dorky than JC's.

That's because floral print makes everything way classier!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

The moon mission was to stop a rogue AI that had taken over a mining base and was flinging rocks at the Earth with its mass driver. There's a newspaper in DX that talks about a mass driver mishap, which was one of the surviving bits of foreshadowing. The moon base itself is actually in the game, it was reused as the interior of Area 51.

This in mind, it might have been neat, but otherwise wouldn't really add too much to the game, other than making you suspicious of Daedalus(?), which I figure most people probably already were.

Point is, DX was already a rather lengthy game, and it was probably benefited by most of the cuts (ignoring that some of the later levels tended to be more linear/corridor oriented than not.

Interesting to see how things turn out with Human Revolution. Seems like having a three hubs for roughly a three act play would be ideal, but at the same time, who knows. I am so anxious to finally play through this game, my concerns are honestly more a matter of whether or not I will be able to moderate my time so I don't get 20 hours through, utterly sleep deprived and delirious, unable to comprehend what the hell is going on.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Linguica posted:

From the PC Gamer review:

I'm sure this must be that Jensen is "patient zero" or whatever for the aug-acceptance genome. If so, that's really lame, since the second I read it I IMMEDIATELY knew where the game was going to go with it, and if it ends up making it a big shocking reveal at the very end? Ugh.

Sorry to bring this speculation back, but I figured patient zero was going to be something more exotic, like an alien, or maybe some poor kid they've got doped up in a secret lab somewhere, something a little more immoral. If it's just Adam then what's the big deal? Maybe Adam was treated with the patient zero stuff in secret which is why he hasn't rejected his augments, rather than simply being patient zero in the first place.

Then again I suppose you can start connecting the dots pretty easily to Adam - Pritcherd mentioned he wanted physical security from a high profile company, but Sarif insisted on hiring Adam (why?). Also, the painfully obvious foreshadowing of naming the hero Adam, as in the first man, as in the first man of the new wave of human evolution as brought about by the mysterious patient zero and augmentation.

I like speculating now, before the game comes out and we'll be able to find out for ourselves. I mean while actually playing the game this is the sort of stuff we'll be wondering about so it's fun to air it a little early and extend the period of curiosity before discovery as much as possible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dolash posted:

Sorry to bring this speculation back, but I figured patient zero was going to be something more exotic, like an alien, or maybe some poor kid they've got doped up in a secret lab somewhere, something a little more immoral.

I feel like it's linked to the FEMA installation (so probably something more like the locked up kid) you find given the e-mail you can find in the medical room towards the end of the level.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dolash posted:

Sorry to bring this speculation back, but I figured patient zero was going to be something more exotic, like an alien, or maybe some poor kid they've got doped up in a secret lab somewhere, something a little more immoral. If it's just Adam then what's the big deal? Maybe Adam was treated with the patient zero stuff in secret which is why he hasn't rejected his augments, rather than simply being patient zero in the first place.

Then again I suppose you can start connecting the dots pretty easily to Adam - Pritcherd mentioned he wanted physical security from a high profile company, but Sarif insisted on hiring Adam (why?). Also, the painfully obvious foreshadowing of naming the hero Adam, as in the first man, as in the first man of the new wave of human evolution as brought about by the mysterious patient zero and augmentation.

I like speculating now, before the game comes out and we'll be able to find out for ourselves. I mean while actually playing the game this is the sort of stuff we'll be wondering about so it's fun to air it a little early and extend the period of curiosity before discovery as much as possible.

The problem would be that the material was gained without Adam's consent, most likely. Megan probably took some from him without asking, and that's a big loving no-no as far as the law is concerned. It would ruin Sarif if they used that research for anything big, or maybe even if they didn't use it at all. That said, I'm not entirely convinced it is Adam yet. I think it's possible that Adam RECEIVED the treatments created from Patient Zero. I think it's entirely possible they'll throw something like that out of left field.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Pretentious Turtle posted:

The problem would be that the material was gained without Adam's consent, most likely. Megan probably took some from him without asking, and that's a big loving no-no as far as the law is concerned. It would ruin Sarif if they used that research for anything big, or maybe even if they didn't use it at all. That said, I'm not entirely convinced it is Adam yet. I think it's possible that Adam RECEIVED the treatments created from Patient Zero. I think it's entirely possible they'll throw something like that out of left field.

So far as conspiracies and plot twists go, "your girlfriend stole some of your hair for her lab research" isn't exactly a shocker. Even if they pushed it so that she only dated him in the first place so she could get close enough to get his genetic material (ew) and keep other companies from using him, at most that's a shocker in a really boring legal briefs sort of way, not a deep dark secret sort of way. "I'm sorry Adam, I... I... I used some of your tissue in my research without your written consent!"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think Patient X is Paul Denton. The whole thing is finding DNA compatible with augmentations, and that's why Paul was special. But they're also talking about how Adam is taking to his augmentations well, so I can see it being him too. Or if it is Paul, Adam is an experiment to see if Paul's DNA can be used to make people augmentable?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

I think Patient X is Paul Denton. The whole thing is finding DNA compatible with augmentations, and that's why Paul was special. But they're also talking about how Adam is taking to his augmentations well, so I can see it being him too. Or if it is Paul, Adam is an experiment to see if Paul's DNA can be used to make people augmentable?
Leak spoilers: We're all complaining due to the insane foreshadowing (more like "telling you straight from the start") thanks to that PDA in Megan's office when you literally start the game, and if you compare that data to your medical records found down the line you can see that it pretty much matches (not to mention Megan's data has "AJ" in them), PLUS why Sarif invested a lot more in you than was needed just to save your life and basically sliced you apart, even your still-healthy parts, for his personal terminator (military augs are expensive as gently caress), or the fact that he even bothered to save you by throwing a shitload of money at you. Then there's the "I'm sorry" from Megan in the intro credits sequence.

But don't worry folks, that's not the only "conspiracy" or "mystery", there are at least two more plotlines, but I'd rather not talk about them yet, since they don't seem to be so heavily telegraphed as this one was. :) One of them is kind of obvious to anyone who has read the comic series, though.

Also, I guess the cut city hub ( :( ) explains why they moved Barrett's fight from Hengsha to Detroit.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 30, 2011

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Tecman posted:

Leak spoilers: We're all complaining due to the insane foreshadowing (more like "telling you straight from the start") thanks to that PDA in Megan's office when you literally start the game, and if you compare that data to your medical records found down the line you can see that it pretty much matches (not to mention Megan's data has "AJ" in them), PLUS why Sarif invested a lot more in you than was needed just to save your life and basically sliced you apart, even your still-healthy parts, for his personal terminator (military augs are expensive as gently caress), or the fact that he even bothered to save you by throwing a shitload of money at you. Then there's the "I'm sorry" from Megan in the intro credits sequence.

But don't worry folks, that's not the only "conspiracy" or "mystery", there are at least two more plotlines, but I'd rather not talk about them yet, since they don't seem to be so heavily telegraphed as this one was. :) One of them is kind of obvious to anyone who has read the comic series, though.

Also, I guess the cut city hub ( :( ) explains why they moved Barrett's fight from Hengsha to Detroit.

I don't really mind how blatant it is, I never go into a game expecting any real mystery or whatever. however, I'm sure there's other stuff going on in the game, and I would be absolutely delighted to find out that certain "obvious" conspiracies were red herrings or have some unexpected facets to them.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Here are a couple more answers off EM's tumblr: http://eidosmontreal.tumblr.com

We we find more than one silence upgrade in the game? I like to make a silent takedown.
Frank says:
Yes, there is more than one silencer in the game.

How did you decide on the game engine to use?
Frank says:
Our lead programmer at the time spearheaded the search. We had a group of people look at various engines.

how many villains are there going to be in the game? is there a main one, or many? looking forward to buying this game!
Frank says:
Lots of villains!

Today is my brithday! So... how Adam Jensen celebrates his birthday? I wonder if I give him a present he will say "I never ask for this"
Frank says:
Happy birthday! I believe Adam spent his last birthday alone in his apartment. I know, it’s sad, but it’s an important step if you want to maintain your dark and gloomy personality for everybody else to enjoy the other 364 ¼ days of the year. As for what he’d say to you if you gave him a present, it all depends on what you’re giving him.

Praxis kits or bullets are fine. He loooves those! A multi-million dollar surgery in which augmentations he doesn’t need are crammed into his body against his will, leaving him unsure of what he’s become… not so much. Happy shopping!

are any of the character within the game inspired by any of your developtment team?
Frank says:
Er… yes? Let’s leave it at that shall we? Not every truth is made to be out there.

Are you as sick as I am about people saying your game has "bad" graphics? I think the Crystal Engine is fine and that the modeling, textures, animations, and lighting are fantastically stylized and appropriate. The PC version even has DX11 tech. Basically, what is wrong with peoples eyes, yep that's my question.
Frank says:
“Everybody is entitled to his or her opinion. Does it make me sick when I hear about bad graphics? No. The game is what it is. Not everyone will perceive it the same way. Personally, I’m astonished by the amount of flavor, atmosphere and detail the artists managed to cram in there. I find it quite a treat to look at… and no, I wasn’t paid to say that.”

Is Barrett ( the big scary augmented guy lol), related to Gunther Hermann from dx1 ? Looks like they came out from the same mama
Frank says:
“I do believe Barrett was on the market for a skull-gun too, so the similarities are adding up…”

What is the back story on the face stamp that Sarif put on Jensen's face? Is that where the bullet entered and they were just lazy about covering it up? I would be pissed if they saved me but stamped my face, just saying. It does look cool though...
Frank says:
“Are you referring to the hexagon on Adam’s forehead? I believe it’s just a cover plate to access his hacking augmentation.”

Will we be able to style Adam's hair? Maybe dye it and get a nice perm? Better yet augment it with laser like abilities! OMG, is that what broke the mirror is Adam's apartment, the lasers?!
Frank says:
“Yes, hair-lasers broke Adam’s mirror. So now you understand why putting in a feature allowing you to style his hair would’ve been irresponsible on our part. Imagine stealthing your way into a compound and finding a mirror. You’d probably feel an urge to fiddle around with your hair (yeah, I know you would) and – oh no – lasers! You’d be dead in seconds. I don’t need those angry letters.”

Will we have any flash backs to the Mexicantown Massacre? Will Jensen ever live this event down?
Frank says:
“There are no direct flashbacks in this game, no. But since this is such a major part of Adam’s story, it’s not impossible it might be explored at a later time. I would like that myself very much!”

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Tecman posted:

Frank says: “Are you referring to the hexagon on Adam’s forehead? I believe it’s just a cover plate to access his hacking augmentation.”
Nice to know what that's all about now. Tradition suggests it should be on the back of his neck/skul, but that's progress for you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Smoky Bandana posted:

Nice to know what that's all about now. Tradition suggests it should be on the back of his neck/skul, but that's progress for you.

Adam/Sarif prefers convenience before subtlety.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Adam/Sarif prefers convenience before subtlety.

I'd like to imagine he leaves his firewire for it on his desk and headslams into it for easy access.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Reive posted:

I'd like to imagine he leaves his firewire for it on his desk and headslams into it for easy access.
Wanna see a magic trick?

Watch as I make this firewire plug... disappear

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

27 hour game? it's crazy to think we've already played a third of it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

guidoanselmi posted:

27 hour game? it's crazy to think we've already played a third of it.
Yeah it seems like the game is going to be significantly shorter than Deus Ex, or at least have significantly fewer locations. That was one of my favorite things about it, how you went all over the place.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

On the other hand, a shorter game can also mean more reactivity. I mean, Alpha Protocol takes like 6 hours to play through, but you can play it through multiple times and see wildly different stuff; I'll take that over an 80 hour epic RPG any day.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

On the other hand, a shorter game can also mean more reactivity. I mean, Alpha Protocol takes like 6 hours to play through, but you can play it through multiple times and see wildly different stuff; I'll take that over an 80 hour epic RPG any day.

Definitely agree and Deus Ex seems to be exactly that kind of game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Linguica posted:

Yeah it seems like the game is going to be significantly shorter than Deus Ex, or at least have significantly fewer locations. That was one of my favorite things about it, how you went all over the place.

I dunno man I honestly felt like the original started to drag on. Some of the areas felt like pointless padding.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pretty much. What HR lacks in length it makes up for with substance - I mean Modern Warfare lasted about the same time as the HR leak, but other than a few key points I wasn't really up to replaying it. I've already played the leak through about three times. :saddowns:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Captain Oblivious posted:

I dunno man I honestly felt like the original started to drag on. Some of the areas felt like pointless padding.
Which areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deus Ex could use a difficulty mode above "Deus Ex" though.
There's challenge but not as much as I'd like.

• Locked thread