Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Just keep looking. I got a Yashica Electro GSN for 30$ 2 weeks ago (meter/lights/shutter working, film not through yet...), and I missed a working Canonet ql17 g3 a while ago which ended up 48$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I just snagged an Olympus Stylus Epic for .99 and a a generic 35mm point and shoot with underwater housing for $2 (going tubing later today). Deals are def out there, you just have to be willing to look and drive. If you live in any kind of youth epicenter, ie Austin, Portland, etc, chances are thrift stores have already been picked through pretty heavily or are priced with ebay as a reference. Whenever I visit my family in San Antonio I always visit local thrift stores because they have not been picked over by every youth photographer like in Austin.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Yeah, the Vancouver area is pretty much a wash for thrift store bargains because it's a double-headed thing with both thrift store junkies that know when all the latest stock comes out and a large population of photography/art school students and other photographers.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If anyone is looking for a sweet camera, I see that camera-traders.com has a Ricoh GR1s for $349. It has a fantastic 28mm f/2.8 lens, good controls and I highly recommend it.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
drat... shouldn't have read this thread, now I want a Poor man's Leica ( Canon Canonet G III QL17 ).

It seems to me like they are in the 60-100$ range on ebay right now, or am I mistaken?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

General Gingersnap posted:

Just wait and search craiglist. I just restored a Canonet ql19 I got off craigslist for around $30. I got my XA off KEH for $45 with a flash. I hear the bay area is the best place for camera thrifting though, but Texas isn't too bad. Maybe I should start a thread about fixing up 1970's midrange rangefinders. Will anyone be interested?
My next camera will either be a Pentax MX or a midrange rangefinder from the 1970's - so I'd be very interested in some opinions on such cameras and ways to keep them operational.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The MX is fairly bulletproof. Even if the meter dies, it's still a decent camera.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

My next camera will either be a Pentax MX or a midrange rangefinder from the 1970's - so I'd be very interested in some opinions on such cameras and ways to keep them operational.

Get a Canonet. Really great lens and they are designed so well. There is nothing I don't like about them.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
My Klasse S arrived just in time to take it on holiday with me, already put two rolls of film through it and I absolutely love it. It may've cost more than any camera I've bought before (including a new dSLR) but it's bloody worth it.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
^^^^^Post some pictures man post some piczzz.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

^^^^^Post some pictures man post some piczzz.

I'm back at home in a week, I'll be developing my film pretty much immediately.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

brad industry posted:

Get a Canonet. Really great lens and they are designed so well. There is nothing I don't like about them.

Just bought one with new seals on it... can't wait to play with it :)

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Maybe I should start a thread about fixing up 1970's midrange rangefinders. Will anyone be interested?

Very interested. I just snagged a 'well kept' but as is Canonet 19 for 20 dollars, and while my fingers are crossed, I'm not holding my breath for a fully awesome one. From what i'm reading I'm imagining I need to probably at least clean the battery terminals and swap out the light seals. I'm not quite confident fixing a sticky shutter that I've read so much about Canonets...

However, right now, my biggest challenge is holding in my excitement while I wait for the thing in the mail. :toot:

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
I recently bought a ql19 off of CL. The shutter was incredibly sticky, managed to fix it though. If I can I will make the thread tonight. PS- If anyone wants to trade a their Canonet for my Stylus Epic DLX let me know. I Already have a Yashica T3 and an XA so it feels a little unnecessary.

elmwood
Aug 22, 2004

Your story has become tiresome.

Trambopaline posted:

Where do you guys find old 60's and 70's rangefinders? I keep trying our equivalent of ebay, but I either get people better off than me paying 200 dollars for old XA's, and just now I had a woman try to push a Canonet 19 for 300 dollars...

Not that I bought any -- I'm trying to simplify my life -- but I saw them all the time at estate sales in the Buffalo area, especially in old money neighborhoods in the city, and upper middle-class suburbs. Plenty of 35mm SLRs and lenses, too. SLRs were usually overpriced, but glass was always cheap.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.
Leica mini 3, with velvia 50

Leica mini 3, fuji 800

Stylus epic non-zoom, fuji 800

Got a roll of ektar 100 in my leica now... waiting to finish it.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
Finally found a Yashica T4 superD. Excited to start playing with it!

grumblybear
Jul 24, 2007
(2S)-1-phenylpropan-2-amine

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Finally found a Yashica T4 superD. Excited to start playing with it!

enjoy the poo poo out of it man, i practically love mine more than my dick (insert richardson reference here).

Edit: http://cgi.ebay.com/YASHICA-T4-SUPER-D-35MM-CARL-ZEISS-T-LENZ-SUPER-SCOPE-/280717602342?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item415c12ae26

grumblybear fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 4, 2011

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Blast. Just got my Canonet but the diaphram is shot, doesn't open up pas around f/4 and the viewfinder looks like it's toast, framelines floats around and the aperture display is not functional. To tune it up costs over a hundred... well I can keep hunting, and keep this one for parts, but yeesh. That was disappointing.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I think that is a common problem, you can open it up and lube it yourself. I just took mine apart to clean the viewfinder and it wasn't hard at all. Look on the Canonet Flickr group for instructions.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The lens on my Ricoh is falling apart. I don't really care, because it was $20, but was hoping to sell it for a bit more than that on ebay.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Scored an XA II off ebay for $29. Psyched, to say the least.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
leica mini 3

ektar 100

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Is the Stylus Epic 115 DLX decent at all? I accidentally won it with a $1 bid and now get to pay $12 in shipping. :arghfist:

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Camerapedia says it has a "Multi-autofocus 38-115mm (f/4.5-9.7) zoom lens."

Wouldn't exactly hold my breath for amazing results, but it might fill in as a complete dag camera when you don't want to bring anything fancier.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

I thought maybe someone would find this useful. I stumbled upon an article mentioning that the iPhone has quite a few lightmeter applications.

http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/hardware/quick-tip-a-look-at-5-iphone-lightmeter-apps/

I think that's a pretty cool idea and should help me with the Canonet that I just received!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

xenilk posted:

I thought maybe someone would find this useful. I stumbled upon an article mentioning that the iPhone has quite a few lightmeter applications.

http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/hardware/quick-tip-a-look-at-5-iphone-lightmeter-apps/

I think that's a pretty cool idea and should help me with the Canonet that I just received!

If you're comfortable with guessing at the current scene EV, Expositor is a great slide-rule style way of calculating exposure:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/expositor/id315686714?mt=8

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Is the Stylus Epic 115 DLX decent at all? I accidentally won it with a $1 bid and now get to pay $12 in shipping. :arghfist:

Not really. The zoom models are probably better than [random brand]'s zoom models but they don't hold a candle to the fixed lens models.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

saw this baby on Tokyo Camera Style just now:

Fujifilm TIARA II

$250 :cry:

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
There's no reason to pay that much for a TIARA II. I got mine for $50 and I've seen plenty floating around for a similar price since then. Then again, I am in Japan and also finding good information on them in English is a bit of a pain.

MCapitan
Aug 16, 2006
Took a Nikon Lite-touch to the beach a few weeks ago:

Blackpool Pleasure Beach 1 by Farley91, on Flickr

Light leaking here was my own fault for opening the back before I rewound the film :doh:

Blackpool by Farley91, on Flickr

Blackpool Arcades by Farley91, on Flickr

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I love my canonet, and I love film. That is all.

Expressive hands by trambopaline, on Flickr

Lonely by trambopaline, on Flickr

Colour by trambopaline, on Flickr

Panel by trambopaline, on Flickr

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 21, 2011

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_Trip_35

£40 on ebay, is this any good?

Whats attracting me is the lack of battery. (and I want to be David Bailey)

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

The Trip 35 is a decent camera, but the price seems pretty steep for something so basic. For that amount of cash you should be able to find a Rollei 35.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

AceClown posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_Trip_35

£40 on ebay, is this any good?

Whats attracting me is the lack of battery. (and I want to be David Bailey)

I got a really nice one for my girlfriend for around £25, no marks/scratches and came in the original case with the manual, beautiful camera.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
contax t2 with 160

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Ah yes. Love the razor-sharp Zeiss lens on the T2. I'd use mine a lot more if it weren't so heavy and bulky relative to what it is.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Do you want to sell it to someone who will? (me!)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Sirkus posted:

Do you want to sell it to someone who will? (me!)

Mine has sentimental value since it was a hand-me-down from my dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I HATE CARS posted:

I'm back at home in a week, I'll be developing my film pretty much immediately.

I am very interested in seeing your pics. The Klasse S is floating around everywhere here and I am wondering if it is worth paying the price.

• Locked thread