Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifeloveregret
Nov 29, 2005

start spreading the news

Ursus Veritas posted:

I'm bitterly disappointed that I forgot about the show at Gus'; I'm glad you had a blast though, Halifax isn't all bad.

Gus' was insane! Downtown Halifax is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Anyone get the new Ampere record in the last few days? Most people I've seen are reporting some pretty severe warping sadly. Mine's slightly warped but not terrible. The First Five Years is pretty much perfect though, only Like Shadows was affected.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

gently caress me for being a poor college student in the midwest, I would love to go to this.

hedgecore posted:

So I posted about my band a page or two back and some of you were real into it - our EP is now streaming.

http://deadringer.bandcamp.com/album/enjoy-the-ride

Feedback would be rad! If you're unfamiliar, we're a pop punk band in the vein of late 90's/early 00's Epitaph/Fat stuff.

I know this was posted a while ago, but it reminded me you're playing the Dingus House next month, hell yea.

Thanks for that link Saddr Weirdr, glad I finally get to see BTMI again. Also, anyone listen to the new Heartsounds album yet? You can stream it here: http://www.facebook.com/heartsoundsband, I don't know if I like is as much as their first album yet, but it's really good.

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

Someone recommend me something that is like Leatherface's Mush. That album is so loving good, it's makes me sad nothing I know (yet) compares. :smith:

Try "Caution" by Hot Water Music. While not exactly similar, still a stellar album.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Sharon is Karen posted:

Try "Caution" by Hot Water Music. While not exactly similar, still a stellar album.

I would go a little further back in HWM's catalog, maybe Fuel for the Hate Game. Also Board of Rejection by Gunmoll.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Saddr Weirdr posted:

Vacation is streaming! First song in, album of the year.

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/spinner#/8

I thought you were talking about the band Vacation.

But this is good, too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ferrule posted:

I thought you were talking about the band Vacation.

But this is good, too.

It's up on QUR now. It's so dang good.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I don't really like Vacation, Actually I'm just really disappointed by it. I loved goodbye cool world, Adults, and their split with O Pioneers!!! I dunno, its not that punk sounding? Too electronic and dancy, which I guess is something considering I have Death From Above 1979. I can't quite place it. I guess the middle of the album is alright.

It's official, they're boring! :saddowns:

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
Here's some really good stuff nobodies discussing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-airReQvhU

I'll never stop listening to it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm really digging that, HATEPOSTING, thanks.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Wow, Jeff Rosenstock really summoned his inner Buddy Holly in "Why, Oh Why, Oh Why". I wasn't sure what to think when I heard the opening track on Vacation, but I ended up listening to the album twice over. Great stuff.

e: here's the link to the album, for the lazy: Vacation

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 27, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sharon is Karen posted:

Yeah I have Caution and to be honest I don't really like it at all. I will try some older HWM perhaps.

RoryBlank
Feb 3, 2010

Quantumfate posted:

I don't really like Vacation, Actually I'm just really disappointed by it. I loved goodbye cool world, Adults, and their split with O Pioneers!!! I dunno, its not that punk sounding? Too electronic and dancy, which I guess is something considering I have Death From Above 1979. I can't quite place it. I guess the middle of the album is alright.

It's official, they're boring! :saddowns:

The first time I heard it it, I was honestly a little weirded out by it, but listening to it again, spending more time with individual tracks, the whole thing is growing on me more and more.
It's kinda hard not to listen to it with a bunch of prior expectations, but I think doing that kinda ends up being a bit of a disservice to the whole album. If you look at their full discography, they've done a lot of really radical shifts, but as many different kinds of sounds they've worked with, the more you listen to some of that really disperate work, the more you can kinda see and appreciate how it all fits together, even if something seems a little out of place at first.
Hell, that being said, there've been at least a song or two on all of their albums that it took me a little bit of time to warm up to. Hell, more often than not, when I listen to Scrambles, I usually skip 9/11 Fever. I appreciate the sentiment behind it, but most of the time, I just really don't feel like listening to that one track.

It's a nice album to listen to on a bike ride or long walk...

Also, that having been said, while I like this album as a whole, for some reason, I don't really picture this as being an indicator of everything else that they do, as much as a specific standalone project, with a very specific sound, that is, itself specific to this album and its particular tone.

RoryBlank fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 27, 2011

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009
GCW is their worst album :colbert:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LCQC posted:

GCW is their worst album :colbert:

GCW has Even Winning Feels Bad, which is their best song. Statement: Invalidated.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
That Prawn band is pretty sweet.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Quick question: Bomb the Music Industry! is playing Baltimore on the 31st, which is right before I leave for school. Having listened to barely any BTMI! (beyond live videos of their awesome Weezer and Neutral Milk Hotel covers), should I go? Are there any records I should listen to before going?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You should totally go, it's a blast and a half. I saw them and didn't recognize at least a quarter of the songs and it ruled. I spent an hour and a half ducking Jeff's guitar because I was so close that I kept almost getting hit in the head.

As far as albums that aren't Vacation, the last three were all various shades of loving rad. Can't really wrong with any of them, but Get Warmer was the weakest of them.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Parachute Underwear posted:

http://www.denovali.com/celeste/

all their albums are free, you will probably get depressed listening to them a lot though :(

This is the greatest thing I've heard in aeons.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

W424 posted:

This is the greatest thing I've heard in aeons.

Welcome to the wonderful club of people who know about celeste.

Ah Crap!
Dec 1, 2003

same day, more shit

cf posted:

Pretty cool, I like it. Could stand a lil mastering, but yeah, I vibe with it.

thank you. did some mastering. we're going to send it in to make tapes.
new mixes are at the bottom: http://shortwalk.bandcamp.com/

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Sounds much better. If you ever want to do a split or use this stuff for a split, I'd be very interested.

https://tapesofaneongod.tumblr.com
Poke around and shoot me an email.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?
There are people that prefer newer BTMI to old? What in the world?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

LtTennisBall posted:

Quick question: Bomb the Music Industry! is playing Baltimore on the 31st, which is right before I leave for school. Having listened to barely any BTMI! (beyond live videos of their awesome Weezer and Neutral Milk Hotel covers), should I go? Are there any records I should listen to before going?

I listened to them recorded before I saw them the first time, I didn't really like it. However I then saw them, and they are easily one of my favorite live bands to see. So yes, go see them.

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010

gerfatty posted:

There are people that prefer newer BTMI to old? What in the world?

yes believe it or not, some people like music besides ska.

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah I have Caution and to be honest I don't really like it at all. I will try some older HWM perhaps.

"Versus God" by Dillinger Four. Then go gently caress your own face for not liking "Caution".

Honestly, I hated HWM forever until I randomly listened to "till the wheels fall off" and then I slowly began to appreciate them, and eventually grew to enjoy most everything they've put out.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

iron chic posted:

yes believe it or not, some people like music besides ska.

See, I'd be pretty down with that if it were true in their case. Sure, there's definitely more ska songs on their older records, but man is that stuff more interesting. I much prefer the chaotic stuff. It's almost a different band at this point. Not that I still don't dig the new stuff, but yeah.

Maybe I'm just being a dick? probably. Ah well.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I've been listening to Germfree Adolescents a lot the past couple of days, and I'd figure I'd ask; are there any punk bands other than X-Ray Spex, Flipper, and Rocket From The Crypt that use saxophone to any real extent? I've been told Fear does, but other than that I'm all out of :sax: punk. Anyone know anything else?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I guess they're more post-punk/hardcore than straight up punk, but Daniel Striped Tiger makes use of a horns "section" (three dudes I think) that includes a sax, and Ten Grand and United Nations have sax sections in a couple songs.

EDIT: So the new BTMI! album got me interested in their older stuff and the 1-2 punch of "Congratulations, John, on Joining Every Time I Die" and "Showerbeer" on To Leave Or Die In Long Island makes me super happy. "Congratulations, John..." is just hilarious.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 28, 2011

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Inspector_71 posted:

EDIT: So the new BTMI! album got me interested in their older stuff and the 1-2 punch of "Congratulations, John, on Joining Every Time I Die" and "Showerbeer" on To Leave Or Die In Long Island makes me super happy. "Congratulations, John..." is just hilarious.
TLODILI firmly occupies a spot in my second tier of BTMI releases. I love everything on it, it's just too drat short (of course, Adults! is even shorter, and I would rank it above TLODILI, but whatever).

because everyone wants to know what these tiers are (nobody wants to know what these tiers are):

I - Scrambles, Adults!, Vacation
II - To Leave Or Die In Long Island, Goodbye Cool World
III - Get Warmer, Album Minus Band

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010

Moe_Rahn posted:

I agree with this. To Leave Or Die... has the best and worst songs BTMI's ever recorded.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Moe_Rahn posted:

These are good tiers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Where can I get Scrambles and Adults!

EDIT: Never mind, they're on Quote Unquote, just not from the BTMI! page.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 29, 2011

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I've been listening to Germfree Adolescents a lot the past couple of days, and I'd figure I'd ask; are there any punk bands other than X-Ray Spex, Flipper, and Rocket From The Crypt that use saxophone to any real extent? I've been told Fear does, but other than that I'm all out of :sax: punk. Anyone know anything else?

Check out the Young Wasteners LP "We Got Ways". There's also this awesome single I have on my computer by this band called Fatsy Wataire that has a cool saxophone part on it. Maybe i'll remember some more after I wake up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Inspector_71 posted:

Where can I get Scrambles and Adults!

EDIT: Never mind, they're on Quote Unquote, just not from the BTMI! page.

The other three albums are also there, all of BtMI's music is totally free.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

gerfatty posted:

See, I'd be pretty down with that if it were true in their case. Sure, there's definitely more ska songs on their older records, but man is that stuff more interesting. I much prefer the chaotic stuff. It's almost a different band at this point. Not that I still don't dig the new stuff, but yeah.

Maybe I'm just being a dick? probably. Ah well.

I agree, I really don't dig vacation. Maybe I need to listen to it more, but it really doesn't feel like a BTMI album!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dickeye posted:

The other three albums are also there, all of BtMI's music is totally free.

Yeah, I already had the albums linked from the BTMI! "Bands" page on the Quote Unquote site, and the rest are just loose in the "Albums" section, which I hadn't thought to check for whatever reason.

Also I really like Vacation, especially "Vocal Coach".

punxnbutter
May 22, 2007

Nonsense is better than no sense at all

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Stooges and Against All Authority

You ought to get the first FEAR record as it's pretty rad

punxnbutter fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 30, 2011

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

punxnbutter posted:

Stooges and Against All Authority

You ought to get the first FEAR record as it's pretty rad

Already got FEAR the Record (just haven't listened to it yet), and I know (and love) the Stooges. Fun House is one of my favorites.

I was listening to London Calling today and I don't know if you guys or I should feel more embarrassed for not mentioning The Clash as a sax band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Sass Dragons back together. Just so ya know.