Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

BigHead posted:

Well if you belong in HYS and/or have the giant cock that you keep repeating that you have, then you wouldn't need a Conviser's.

Were you the guy on the AK Journal and looking at AKCOA / SCOAK / AK trial court? If so, I'll give you a reference if you PM me your phone number and, uh, we get in touch or something.

Sort of but yes. I didn't get ALJ (fuckers passed me by; ain't like I had bigger and better) but I'm on the international journal and Alaska is kind of like a foreign country so maybe that's a tie. I'm still interested in working there next summer; give me a few days to buy PMs (I'm roadtripping) and I'll send you a message. Thanks, Bighead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I seriously finished each section of the bar like 30 minutes to an hour early and went outside to smoke and get food because seriously it's a loving standardized test taken by a bunch of loving retards.

yeah it felt boss being one of the first people to stroll out of the MBE. If you could take a standardized test to qualify as a doctor I could probably pass that

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
there are standardized exams on the doctor track and I could probably have passed them with a couple of months of study as a 16 year old. Doogie Killpatient, MD

also one of our (2005) commencement speech guys was a JD/MD who is probably still in school

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
in other news my flight out of this country possibly forever (probably not forever) is at 8:20 today, good luck with that whole dollar not dying in a fire thing

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Adar posted:

in other news my flight out of this country possibly forever (probably not forever) is at 8:20 today, good luck with that whole dollar not dying in a fire thing

gently caress you, I pray for devaluation. I will throw handfuls of money at Sallie Mae and laugh and yell "SUCK MY DICK" as the building burns down.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

CaptainScraps posted:

gently caress you, I pray for devaluation. I will throw handfuls of money at Sallie Mae and laugh and yell "SUCK MY DICK" as the building burns down.

I sometimes pray for a little Mugabe-conomics so I can get my loans paid off before the 10 year IBR thing. I would also laugh at Sallie Mae only I'd do it while fleeing to Brazil or some other almost-not-a-3rd-world country.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blar posted:

I sometimes pray for a little Mugabe-conomics so I can get my loans paid off before the 10 year IBR thing. I would also laugh at Sallie Mae only I'd do it while fleeing to Brazil or some other almost-not-a-3rd-world country.

I'll run off to Iceland. They know how to deal with a devalued currency.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

CaptainScraps posted:

I'll run off to Iceland. They know how to deal with a devalued currency.

their most favored way ATM appears to be not letting anyone take foreign currency out

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011

Adar posted:

Are you moving for internet poker or is there some other reason

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Would the authors of the OP object to my blatantly ripping it off into a powerpoint presentation I want to give? A bunch of undergrads from an organization I was in have contacted me about law school and the lsat. I only want to give the no jobs, die alone speech once.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Carooe posted:

Are you moving for internet poker or is there some other reason

I am taking a job on the Isle of Man if that means anything to you

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Adar posted:

a whole isle full of men, huh :raise:

gabi
Sep 10, 2008
Just going to leave this here:
Woman Goes into Labor, Finishes Bar Exam Anyway

taichijedi
Nov 8, 2006

Adar posted:

I'm probably way off base, but I would guess asset management.

Isle of Man is a good place to employ asset protection strategies for US based assets by erecting LLCs, since it is a British protectorate (thereby employing favorable British law into the methodology) reducing the risk that the US courts will not recognize the choice of jurisdiction clause. This is a different tack than is used in Nevis and Anguilla, whose LLC acts are based off of actual US LLC acts (Delaware and Wyoming, respectively) but the results are the same.

The only down side is the stricter provisions of 2 or more members required for formation and the fact that accounting records must be kept on the Isle of Man.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

CaptainScraps posted:

The USD bought 8 Ethiopian Birr a few years ago. It now buys 17 birr, and that trend isn't likely to stop soon.

I love this job.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Diplomaticus posted:

The USD bought 8 Ethiopian Birr a few years ago. It now buys 17 birr, and that trend isn't likely to stop soon.

I love this job.

If we ever meet up I'll buy you a Birr :roflolmao:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

taichijedi posted:

It is also a good place for the internet gambling.
I once knew a guy from the Isle of Man. He seemed to think it was pretty boring.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

taichijedi posted:

Isle of Man is a good place to employ asset protection strategies for US based assets by erecting LLCs, since it is a British protectorate (thereby employing favorable British law into the methodology) reducing the risk that the US courts will not recognize the choice of jurisdiction clause. This is a different tack than is used in Nevis and Anguilla, whose LLC acts are based off of actual US LLC acts (Delaware and Wyoming, respectively) but the results are the same.

The only down side is the stricter provisions of 2 or more members required for formation and the fact that accounting records must be kept on the Isle of Man.

gently caress me that's sexy keep talking.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

echopapa posted:

Okay, I figure if I just post this and don't say who it is, I should be fine. Enjoy reckless parenting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3IUiFjsyAk
You're kind of a terrible person hth

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

gabi posted:

Just going to leave this here:
Woman Goes into Labor, Finishes Bar Exam Anyway

She's really nice, too, I worked with her when she directed the NULaw musical.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

taichijedi posted:

Also: it's a great place for disreputable U.S. companies to launder money.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Anyone who's done federal loan consolidation have any tips? My 3 step process of fail:

1) I went to the NSLDS to get report/review.
2) Then I log into the servicer's website to find the account number to each loan.
3) Then I don't see the same loans under the servicer's website and have no idea who owns/who services these loans.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Roger_Mudd posted:

Anyone who's done federal loan consolidation have any tips? My 3 step process of fail:

1) I went to the NSLDS to get report/review.
2) Then I log into the servicer's website to find the account number to each loan.
3) Then I don't see the same loans under the servicer's website and have no idea who owns/who services these loans.
When you fill out your consolidation paperwork, just list as much information as you have for each loan and the DOE will get the details for you from their database. I'd just copy what's on NSLDS. DOE will send you a list of loans to be consolidated before they write the actual loan, so you'll be able to review what they found. Let them do the initial legwork, and if they miss a loan or two, then you just have to focus your efforts on those. You also have some time (I think it's 180 days) after consolidation in which you can add additional loans in case you forget any.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
My friend's sister just asked me about taking LSAT. Normally, I'd be happy to offer some advice about prep courses and such, except she asked me how to register for the LSAT and where you write it. Maybe I'm just jaded and bitter, but that's basic information I expect someone to be able to figure out themselves.

She's also looking at the October sitting without having looked at an exam yet. I'd offer her my practice exam books except they're at my mom's house.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Penguins Like Pies posted:

My friend's sister just asked me about taking LSAT. Normally, I'd be happy to offer some advice about prep courses and such, except she asked me how to register for the LSAT and where you write it. Maybe I'm just jaded and bitter, but that's basic information I expect someone to be able to figure out themselves.

She's also looking at the October sitting without having looked at an exam yet. I'd offer her my practice exam books except they're at my mom's house.

Strangle her.

My cousin is now going to a T4 so he can join the FBI.

:ughh:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

My friend's sister just asked me about taking LSAT.
Someone has to pad out the bottom of the curve, so I say she should go for it

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Everybody in this thread is or will be on IBR; does anyone know how today's debt ceiling deal will affect us?

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

diospadre posted:

Everybody in this thread is or will be on IBR; does anyone know how today's debt ceiling deal will affect us?

Only thing I've heard is that subsidized staffords are no longer available to law students beginning in 2012. I guess what this means for us on IBR is that these things can suddenly up and vanish a year later. I'm glad I'm already signed up.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I've been notified that tomorrow I will receive a low paying but legal job offer. :woop:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I've been notified that tomorrow I will receive a low paying but legal job offer. :woop:

:argh:

Whatcha gonna be doing?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

:argh:

Whatcha gonna be doing?

Consumer and Bankruptcy stuff.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Consumer and Bankruptcy stuff.

Congratulations :love: My baby's growing up.

Sorry I'm not goony-looking enough for you :(

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Brooks Brothers in Canal Place sells poplin suits, those are pretty cool in the summer.

This is good information to have.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Roger_Mudd posted:

Congrats! You will now be working in a miserable profession in terms of the work you do, but with all the benefits of low pay.

I think this thread has been focusing too much on the "no jobs" stuff lately, and not enough on how the job itself will twist and corrupt you as a person. Clearly we need more, "The futile search for money is the only salve for my empty soul, for I have chosen a profession that makes monsters out of men," chat.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

SlyFrog posted:

Congrats! You will now be working in a miserable profession in terms of the work you do, but with all the benefits of low pay.

I think this thread has been focusing too much on the "no jobs" stuff lately, and not enough on how the job itself will twist and corrupt you as a person. Clearly we need more, "The futile search for money is the only salve for my empty soul, for I have chosen a profession that makes monsters out of men," chat.

Pffft. No jobs is much easier to do.

A snippet from an e-mail conversation I had today.

quote:

Frankly, at your age, given the difficulty we have getting courts to even give us a chance with suits against lawyers, I would consider getting into another type of trial practice.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Linguica posted:

Someone has to pad out the bottom of the curve, so I say she should go for it

I told her to look around on the LSAC webpage regarding registration but I gave her a real answer about studying for the LSAT. I hope she doesn't actually go to law school and this is just a phase.

Also, I love how even as a law student, my friends will call me for legal advice when they've been arrested. Since I'm a great friend, I never answer my phone when I'm sleeping.

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

blar posted:

Only thing I've heard is that subsidized staffords are no longer available to law students beginning in 2012. I guess what this means for us on IBR is that these things can suddenly up and vanish a year later. I'm glad I'm already signed up.

Based on the few news reports I've seen, the bill adds a provision that requires grad students to now pay interest on (formerly?) subsidized federal loans. So I guess the low rates remain, but now they accrue while in school. Goes into effect summer 2012.

A very small amount of info here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/01/2341046/graduate-students-will-pay-more.html

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Adar posted:

Good luck with that; you win the official "you told me so" award, as I'm somewhat convinced that I ruined my life by not dropping out of law school (or fully embracing a career in law and going all-out in pursuing a legal career) after 1L year. :emo:

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Also, I love how even as a law student, my friends will call me for legal advice when they've been arrested. Since I'm a great friend, I never answer my phone when I'm sleeping.

Solution: don't have any friends outside law school :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

cendien posted:

Based on the few news reports I've seen, the bill adds a provision that requires grad students to now pay interest on (formerly?) subsidized federal loans. So I guess the low rates remain, but now they accrue while in school. Goes into effect summer 2012.

A very small amount of info here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/01/2341046/graduate-students-will-pay-more.html

That's $8,500 a year accruing 6.8% interest. A little better than the 8.5% grad plus loans but still quite the chunk of change when you're talking about law school tuition. Biggest mistake of my life was getting a higher education.