Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

I always wondered... was Sting injured in 1996 which is why he never wrestled and just did run ins during his crow persona transformation? Or was that intentionally done to build the epic build up to Starrcade against Hogan?

What ChampRamp said. Hogan has claimed he was pissed off at Sting for not working out and getting in the best shape of his life during that time which is why he wanted the finish to Starrcade 97 changed. Snicker snicker, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

triplexpac posted:

People say Eric had one good idea, but holding off Sting & Hogan was really well done. It showed patience you don't see anymore. Not sure how much of that was him, but since he was in charge at the time I assume he could have made the match happen whenever he wanted.
I remember legitimately thinking that Hogan/Sting at Starrcade was going to truly be the Match of the Century. It should have been, with all that hype and build, but Hulk Hogan's politics, and the faux-screw job/Bret Hart entirely hosed the match up.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Flameingblack posted:

I remember legitimately thinking that Hogan/Sting at Starrcade was going to truly be the Match of the Century. It should have been, with all that hype and build, but Hulk Hogan's politics, and the faux-screw job/Bret Hart entirely hosed the match up.

What should have happened is Hogan should have cheated something big at the start of the match so he had the advantage beating Sting down, with every one afraid that this would be just another nWo screwjob. Then Sting comes back and starts beating up on Hogan. Two or three of Hogan's cronies run in and get stopped by the likes of Bret Hart and Lex Luger. Sting hits the splash, death drop and then locks on the death lock for the submission win. Hogan tapping out would have been huge.

Instead we got Hogan having a huge advantage on Sting for... little reason, some attempted run in's, a fast count done really slowly and the Bret Hart bullshit. It caused completely no confidence in Sting winning that he technically had to win the belt AGAIN and all of the momentum created in 1997 did not follow through into 1998.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah Meltzer said pretty much the same thing on a podcast a little while ago. He heard about the storyline ahead of time and thought it sounded good, on paper there was no reason to think otherwise. No one could have imagined they would have booked the match in that lovely way.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

Yeah Meltzer said pretty much the same thing on a podcast a little while ago. He heard about the storyline ahead of time and thought it sounded good, on paper there was no reason to think otherwise. No one could have imagined they would have booked the match in that lovely way.

Yeah the way Meltzer described it really made sense to me. And then I got sad it didn't happen like that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Probably where I remembered it, or Mullet and I were on the same page.

Stuff like Starrcade 97, King of the Ring 95 and the Invasion are the reasons why I'm the fantasy booking gently caress I am today. It's things that went so very wrong that had every excuse not to go wrong.

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet

Lone Rogue posted:

Probably where I remembered it, or Mullet and I were on the same page.

Stuff like Starrcade 97, King of the Ring 95 and the Invasion are the reasons why I'm the fantasy booking gently caress I am today. It's things that went so very wrong that had every excuse not to go wrong.

To be fair, WWF was in such bad shape in the summer of 1995 that you really couldn't book KOTR '95 to be a good PPV. Could it have been better than it was? Yes, but in no way could it have been "great" or even "pretty good". The entire company was poo poo at that time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Captain Kickass posted:

To be fair, WWF was in such bad shape in the summer of 1995 that you really couldn't book KOTR '95 to be a good PPV. Could it have been better than it was? Yes, but in no way could it have been "great" or even "pretty good". The entire company was poo poo at that time.

I've talked about this in... unbelievable detail. Not so much here but on Facebook and blogs because I once got really obsessed with how people called 1995 an impossible to salvage year for the WWF.

We could have had Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels as the KOTR final without changing a single participant in the tournament.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
If memory serves, and correct me if I wrong, Taker couldn't work for poo poo in 95.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Q_res posted:

If memory serves, and correct me if I wrong, Taker couldn't work for poo poo in 95.

Still would have been better than Mabel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
That reminds me of a classic quote from that fat piece of poo poo Scott Kieth

quote:

Retire now, you crippled, has been, slow-moving, fried-food eating, motorcyle-riding, no-selling, tobacco-chewing, no-money-drawing, talentless piece of selfish poo poo.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Q_res posted:

He could work but still played to his gimmick. If he had Shawn bumping for him it would have made for a much better match.

Also, WWF had Owen Hart and British Bulldog wrestle to a draw which lead to them having a re-do in the Qualifyer in Yoko vs. Lex. Meaning an inexplicable excuse to ensure that Bulldog and Owen, who were Top five in WWF workers in 1995 being kept out of the KOTR. Keeping Jeff Jarrett out was another WTF. The only guy who was kept out that made sense was Razor Ramon since he was injured.

You could have had Lex, Owen, Bulldog, Shawn, Savio, 123 Kidd, Bob Holly and Jarrett as the KOTR. Tell me that wouldn't have been a drat good KOTR. My favourite fantasy book is having Lex Luger turn heel and join the Million Dollar Corporation and win KOTR to face Diesel at SummerSlam. While Diesel vs. Lex doesn't sound like something exciting, it would have still been better than Diesel vs. Mabel, would have created a number one heel for the WWF in 1995 and maybe Lex would have stayed. If anyone wanted that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

triplexpac posted:

Still would have been better than Mabel.

Well, I definitely can't argue with that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

bobkatt013 posted:

That reminds me of a classic quote from that fat piece of poo poo Scott Kieth

To be fair, Undertaker really was insufferable for the first long while of his Biker gimmick. At least I remember hating his stuff with a passion back then. Maybe not to Scott Keith levels, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like how motorcycle-riding is apparently an insult.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Don't tell that to Tyler Black: http://www.fcwwrestling.info/sethrollins11.html

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Endorph posted:

I like how Scott Keith is insulting someone for eating fried food and moving slowly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

El Duke posted:

I like how Scott Keith is insulting someone for eating fried food and moving slowly.
And not having talent.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also him saying that eating fried food is an insult. So Scott you never eat fried food? Does he still review anything or does he just try to make money off Beniot and cry about how Beniot is no longer the best?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Scott Keith only eats yogurt.

Cement trucks full of it, but it's not deep fried!

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

Scott Keith only eats yogurt.

Cement trucks full of it, but it's not deep fried!...yet
:eng101:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

:eng101:

"One deep fried cement truck filled with yogurt coming up."
"THIS IS BETTER THAN WASHING MY OWEN HART SHIRT FOR THE FIRST TIME!" :neckbeard:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
I would legit pay to see a competitive eating contest between Scott Keith and Matt Hardy.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

it is. I've only hit one motorcycle rider in my driving career, and in my opinion that's 2,999,999 too few.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I decided I'm going to watch every Nitro, PPV, and maybe Thunder starting from the debut Nitro episode in September 1995 with these VHS recordings I have.

I'm only two months into it, but man did WCW start out rough... The Dungeon of Doom were horrible heels, and WCW didn't know how to promote a PPV at all. Considering I'm just watching Nitro and not Saturday Night, they didn't even tell you a single match that would be at War Games '95. They just kept saying "Hogan's Team will be a man down at War Games!", and the promos said something like "Hogan, Savage, Sting and Luger team up to defeat muscular dystrophy!". I kind of wish I could watch the Raw that was on opposite like with WWE 24/7, because I'd love to see what these shows were going up against at the time.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Astro7x posted:

So I decided I'm going to watch every Nitro, PPV, and maybe Thunder starting from the debut Nitro episode in September 1995 with these VHS recordings I have.

I'm only two months into it, but man did WCW start out rough... The Dungeon of Doom were horrible heels, and WCW didn't know how to promote a PPV at all. Considering I'm just watching Nitro and not Saturday Night, they didn't even tell you a single match that would be at War Games '95. They just kept saying "Hogan's Team will be a man down at War Games!", and the promos said something like "Hogan, Savage, Sting and Luger team up to defeat muscular dystrophy!". I kind of wish I could watch the Raw that was on opposite like with WWE 24/7, because I'd love to see what these shows were going up against at the time.

Raw was probably Bret vs. Fatu, Ahmed Johnson vs. local jobber and Jacob & Eli Blu vs. 123 Kid & Bob Holly.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I hate to bring up the games again, but the best part of Revenge was Dr. Frank.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
1-2-3 Kid and Bob Holly was a brilliant prelude to Cody Rhodes/Hardcore Holly!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Astro7x posted:

Man I can't wait till you get the riveting feud between DDP and Hacksaw over DDP's missing ring. I believe they may have had a "Lord of the rings" match, but I may just be making that up.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Matt Cruea posted:

I hate to bring up the games again, but the best part of Revenge was Dr. Frank.

He was based off of Jumbo Tsuruta. Of course he was great!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lone Rogue posted:

He was based off of Jumbo Tsuruta. Of course he was great!

Um, no, he was obviously Frankenstein's monster... DUH...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I know it would never happen today, but I miss all those wacky modded Japanese fake wrestlers. It just padded out the roster so nicely, and gave you guys you could gently caress around with.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

LordPants posted:

Man I can't wait till you get the riveting feud between DDP and Hacksaw over DDP's missing ring. I believe they may have had a "Lord of the rings" match, but I may just be making that up.
I am actually doing the same thing that the other guy is doing, except fast forwarding through the matches since they're just pretending to fight and I'm more interested in the chaos of the clusterfuck of the disaster of managing to take the hottest angle to that time and turn it to complete garbage within 2/6/12/18 months depending on how generous you want to be.

Recapping the Lord of the Rings feud:
DDP has ring that no one else ever mentions or covets for any reason
DDP interrupts opening of Nitro to demand that security search everyone, it seems he lost his ring
Duggan gives a promo in the back saying he found the ring near the toilet
DDP confronts Duggan, Duggan gives him ring but also punches him with the Taped Fist Of Doom
They fight at PPV. Duggan, as the face, won't tape his fist for the match, despite it being a taped fist match.
DDP wins the match, Duggan tapes his fist afterwards and lays out DDP

As bad as it sounds, it's only like the 3rd stupidest angle on the PPV, behind Mongo joining the Horsemen, and literally anything at any point involving Kevin Sullivan with the exception of the famous Falls Count Anywhere match.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Astro7x posted:

Shoot me an email if you really want to watch the Raws opposite these episodes. It's my IM handle at gmail dot com

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 28, 2011

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

http://youtu.be/oeKnBR8l49w

I was 10 when I saw this.

CaptainRapesAlot
Jul 25, 2007

Drivin' down the road,
lookin' for a Waffle House,
and drinkin' lots of Wild Turkey

RBX posted:

Did they actually air that on PPV unedited, with no bleeps?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

CaptainRapesAlot posted:

Did they actually air that on PPV unedited, with no bleeps?
I remember Vince Russo vividly calling Hulk Hogan the poo poo on the bottom of his shoes, live and unedited.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

RBX posted:

What's the general opinion of that promo here?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

ChampRamp posted:

What's the general opinion of that promo here?

Of the promo itself, or of its purpose? I guess it's alright as a promo, I've heard better, I've heard much worse. It's purpose was asinine.

Edit - It's probably hard for me to be unbiased about it since I think Russo's a piece of poo poo, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

While what he said may have been true the entire thought process that went into it was completely unprofessional.