Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think I'll pop my nose in here.

Has an explanation for the SW Galaxy's seeming technological stagnation ever been given? I mean, going from Knights of the Old Republic Era, to Empire Era technology doesn't seemed to have changed much, hell it seems to have regressed in a few areas (above-mentioned Cortosis, no personal shield generators, etc). Yet in Empire Era development seems to occur at a brisk pace, someone invents a planet exploder, fighter designs routinely render ones only a decade or two old obsolete, the bullshit with stuff like the suncrusher, etc etc.

Is it just another case of poor writing, or does every millennia or two a nice war blow up half the Republic and set science back a dozen centuries?

I seem to remember an explanation suggesting that technology only really jumped forward in any meaningful manner during galactic wars, as people researched new weapons or ship technologies. During long periods of peace scientific development stagnates somewhat, and a lot of tech has been lost in wars. I might have got this from something about the Great Hyperspace War, but I can't remember what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

just another case of poor writing

This is almost always the answer.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think I'll pop my nose in here.

Has an explanation for the SW Galaxy's seeming technological stagnation ever been given? I mean, going from Knights of the Old Republic Era, to Empire Era technology doesn't seemed to have changed much, hell it seems to have regressed in a few areas (above-mentioned Cortosis, no personal shield generators, etc). Yet in Empire Era development seems to occur at a brisk pace, someone invents a planet exploder, fighter designs routinely render ones only a decade or two old obsolete, the bullshit with stuff like the suncrusher, etc etc.

Is it just another case of poor writing, or does every millennia or two a nice war blow up half the Republic and set science back a dozen centuries?

:science: Why, the Star Wars universe runs on the Red Queen's Hypothesis!

Tech beyond a certain level degrades naturally over time, so a 20-year-old ship doesn't perform as well as a new one. In order to keep their technology at the same place, they have to continually invent new twists that will, themselves, weaken and disappear over time! Some things keep up, some don't.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Has an explanation for the SW Galaxy's seeming technological stagnation ever been given?

I always took it to be that for a long time, they've been at or near the limits of technology. Fashions change, small refinements are always coming down the pipe, and they can always build things bigger and better whenever they get together the political will to do it (e.g. Death Star). But for the most part, their technology is as good as it's capable of getting.

My usual real-world example of this is the personal firearm. In the last hundred years there have been a few small improvements and refinements -- they're a bit lighter, a bit less jam-prone, some loading systems are a bit faster -- but for the most part they're the exact same machines as they were a century ago. The technology is pretty much at its limit. No one bats an eye at a thirty-year-old used gun if it's in good shape.

In Star Wars, it's like that for almost everything. No one bats an eye at a thirty-year-old used droid (or Dreadnought) if it's in good shape. It's still compatible with everything, and basically the same thing as they could get new.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Q: What's the best Pandora station?
A: Star Wars Radio
Makes every day in the cubicle feel like a spaaaace adventuuuuuure!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Was there ever a story in the vast depths of the Expanded Universe about some sort of anti-Force movement rising up? Like, people who wanted to eradicate all Force users on principle for whatever reason?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Was there ever a story in the vast depths of the Expanded Universe about some sort of anti-Force movement rising up? Like, people who wanted to eradicate all Force users on principle for whatever reason?

A reverse crusades against The Force religion, hmm...

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Roboto posted:

A reverse crusades against The Force religion, hmm...

I was thinking less along the lines of "gently caress their religion" and more along the lines of wanting to level the playing field. Not in the sense of "They're dangerous and must all die" but more "They are born with privileges we can never have and that is not right."

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 28, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Korra?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I was thinking less along the lines of "gently caress their religion" and more along the lines of wanting to level the playing field. Not in the sense of "They're dangerous and must all die" but more "They are born with privileges we can never have and that is not right."

So, this?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-Jedi_sentiment

This might be what you mean.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pope Mobile posted:

Q: What's the best Pandora station?
A: Star Wars Radio
Makes every day in the cubicle feel like a spaaaace adventuuuuuure!

You blew a Tosche Station joke

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kreia from kotor 2 isn't a fan of The Force. She thinks it's manipulative and tyrannical, although she doesn't have anything against Force users and is one herself.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Not A Bear posted:

Vader got some 'splainin to do - would have loved to have seen Darth explaining this one to the Emperor, annnd now I really want to see a buddy cop film with Vader as the reckless loose cannon getting dressed down by Comissioner Palpatine :v:

I rather think it's the Emperor who has some explaining to do, what all with the "It seems that in your anger you killed her"-business.

"Yah Vader, apparently she still had your kid. My bad."

quote:

Actually, this is the one thing I CAN buy. Vader doing a complete sever from all his past ties and never ever thinking about his stepbrother would fit his new personae.

As a man who hasn't called his mother in over a week despite her not living that far away, I can totally relate to Vader never visiting his home planet.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

WhyteRyce posted:

You blew a Tosche Station joke

:smithicide:

On an unrelated note, I think I found the shortest wookieepedia entry:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Systems_Analyst

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Korra?
I said in the thread I was wondering if Star Wars had ever done it, and lo and behold.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
In semi Star Wars related news Lucasfilm is putting out a new movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpA6TC0T_Lw

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Palace of Lies posted:

which individual character killed the most Jedi?

Griveous?

Jar Jar. He singlehandedly tarded his way into putting a crazyman into power, killing all the jedi.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Gutcruncher posted:

Jar Jar. He singlehandedly tarded his way into putting a crazyman into power, killing all the jedi.

I'm pretty sure this was Lucas' way of flipping off all the fanboys who whined about Jar-Jar in the first place.

"You hate him NOW? Fine, now you REALLY have a reason! Suck it!" *crosses hands over crotch while making pew pew noises*

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Nckdictator posted:

In semi Star Wars related news Lucasfilm is putting out a new movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpA6TC0T_Lw

The fact that Lucas has been planning and talking about this thing since over a decade before Episode I came out gives me hope that we may yet see the Star Wars live action series someday.

EDIT: The premiere of which I will probably watch with my grandkids in the retirement home in 2062.

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!
What's the point of actually watching Red Tails since that trailer shows virtually the entire movie?

Though I did see the original Star Wars trailer once... very slow moving and ten minutes long. Trailers really have changed, but it's a shame they either show you the best bits of a movie or give you 90% of the story without any surprises.

So are the action sequences of Red Tails 100% CG? :what:

Magic fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 30, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I'm on the 4th book of the X-Wing series by Michael A. Stackpole. After this one it switches over to Aaron Allston as the author. I like the series so far, should I read Allston's books too or is it going to pull a West Wing on me?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Haledjian posted:

I'm on the 4th book of the X-Wing series by Michael A. Stackpole. After this one it switches over to Aaron Allston as the author. I like the series so far, should I read Allston's books too or is it going to pull a West Wing on me?
Allston's books are actually considered better than the Stackpole ones. Man just knows how to write humour.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Yea, Allston's work really is better. It's also refreshing that he, instead of focusing primarily one his one pet character like Stackpole (Corran), he manages to give plenty of time to all the major cast, and develop most of them pretty well (Face owns :allears:).

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Anticipating more human-bothan business. Oh yeah. And X-Wings.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Geddy Krueger posted:

Yea, Allston's work really is better. It's also refreshing that he, instead of focusing primarily one his one pet character like Stackpole (Corran), he manages to give plenty of time to all the major cast, and develop most of them pretty well (Face owns :allears:).

I couldn't get into Allston's novels as they had an almost completely different cast. I read Stackpole's books for Corran, he was my favorite of the series, when he wasn't in Allston's I stopped caring.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Haledjian posted:

Anticipating more human-bothan business. Oh yeah. And X-Wings.

Nope, and less than you'd think.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

I couldn't get into Allston's novels as they had an almost completely different cast. I read Stackpole's books for Corran, he was my favorite of the series, when he wasn't in Allston's I stopped caring.

I have some bad news for you, Epi. Corran, he's... Well, he's... This is really hard to say. Corran Horn is... a Mary Sue. :negative:

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!

Magic posted:

Though I did see the original Star Wars trailer once... very slow moving and ten minutes long. Trailers really have changed, but it's a shame they either show you the best bits of a movie or give you 90% of the story without any surprises.

Are there any links to this? The only videos I can find are a couple of minutes long and I really can't imagine a ten minute long trailer.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Geddy Krueger posted:

I have some bad news for you, Epi. Corran, he's... Well, he's... This is really hard to say. Corran Horn is... a Mary Sue. :negative:

I'm aware. So?

EDIT: It's Star Wars. Luke was a Mary Sue too.

draize_train
Apr 26, 2006
Luke Skywalker is not a Mary Sue, at least not according to the generally accepted definition. Mary Sues are wish-fulfillment characters without any serious flaws. Luke was rash and moody and made mistakes because of it (facing Vader too soon against the advice of a 900-year old mentor who should know what he's talking about, underestimating Jabba which put all his friends in danger, letting his anger get the better of him when fighting Vader, etc.). I can't really comment on Corran Horn, since I haven't read anything with him in it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

There was that time Corran Horn tried to fight a bunch of stormtroopers with a lightsaber he found even though he didn't know how and got his rear end beat. Although he still killed like five.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Luke was a Mary Sue? Based on what? You can argue that he's intended as a stand-in for Lucas in the story but that's not the sole qualification of a Mary Sue. Mary Sues basically become the center of the story's setting, to the degree that all the other characters are defined pretty much solely by their relationship to the Sue, which isn't the case in Star Wars. The other thing with Sue characters is that they have few, if any, real character flaws. Luke is riddled with those flaws, and he has to grow and learn from the consequences of his rash judgements in order to win out in the end.

Corran, on the other hand, barely changes or grows at all (Note: I'm basing this on X-Wing arc Corran, I haven't read I, Jedi or anything else involving him). The biggest event for him, in regards to character development, is the discovery that his grandfather was a Jedi and that he's inherited Force sensitivity, and he barely changes at all. But man, he's just awesome at everything :allears:. He gets into Rogue Squadron almost as soon as he joins the Republic military even though his previous job was... being a cop, and not only that but he's immediately the top pilot in the training group. He finds a lightsaber and, with no history of any sort of training with a weapon that's acknowledged as being ridiculously dangerous to use without lots of practice, manages to kill several people. In the dark. Without hurting himself.

There's more but this post is :spergin: enough as is, so I'll just leave it at that.

Edit: Beaten like a Twi'lek slave girl

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Honestly, original X-Wing Corran Horn didn't really peg my Mary Sue meter, mostly because of who he's around. He's our hero and gets at least one 'only you can save the day' moment per book, but he's around so many other people who are also very competent.

Bror Jace outflies Corran in the first book. Ooryl shows up Corran at every turn and doesn't brag about it. Wedge is placed essentially out of the league of the rest of the pilots. Horn isn't the only important or useful member of the team; he's just very, very good at a lot of things which is why he's in an elite commando/pilot squadron.

He's just action-movie level untouchable/awesome, which I can accept for my dumb action movie book light reading.

There's no excuse for him in I, Jedi and beyond, though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ZeeToo posted:

Yes there is. The excuse is "gently caress KJA"

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

Honestly, original X-Wing Corran Horn didn't really peg my Mary Sue meter, mostly because of who he's around. He's our hero and gets at least one 'only you can save the day' moment per book, but he's around so many other people who are also very competent.

Bror Jace outflies Corran in the first book. Ooryl shows up Corran at every turn and doesn't brag about it. Wedge is placed essentially out of the league of the rest of the pilots. Horn isn't the only important or useful member of the team; he's just very, very good at a lot of things which is why he's in an elite commando/pilot squadron.

He's just action-movie level untouchable/awesome, which I can accept for my dumb action movie book light reading.

My original post about him being a Mary Sue was mostly just a joke, Corran isn't nearly as offensive as a guy like Kyp Durron (or Thrall, right arioch? :allears:), and he's actually pretty likable for the most part. I just think that a book series like this is better as an ensemble piece and that doesn't work as well if most of the action is filtered through the perspective of a few characters, in this case it's mainly Wedge and Corran, and I guess Kirtan Loor since most of the antagonist side of the story revolves around him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Haledjian posted:

I would agree that they are equal or better. Biggest inprovement is not ending every drat chapter with a huge statement like "we will do this, or we will all die." I swear stackpole ends every drat chapter with a cliff hanger, and in the end it just pissed me off so much.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

I would agree that they are equal or better. Biggest inprovement is not ending every drat chapter with a huge statement like "we will do this, or we will all die." I swear stackpole ends every drat chapter with a cliff hanger, and in the end it just pissed me off so much.
I hope it has less of his incredibly awkward beginning-of-book exposition scenes.

"As someone who just escaped from Planet X and am about to launch a dangerous attack against the base on Planet Y, I think I will have my hands full."
"As your girlfriend, I agree with you."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The only real problem with the Wraith Squadron trilogy is that they had to kind of half-rear end the ending of Solo Command a bit. They should've gone ahead and blew up the real Iron Fist because I don't think Courtship specified if Zsinj still had Iron Fist as a Super..

Geddy Krueger posted:

(or Thrall, right arioch? :allears:)

Thrall's pretty bad, the cloak quest is pretty bad, but I do like how he rages in that one part of the quest.

Anyway, point being, neither Thrall nor Corran Horn are as offensively bad as Knaak's characters. Not that I've ever actually read any of the books, because I draw my line in tie-ins at Star Wars. :argh:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Whatever, Starfighters is the best X-Wing book.