Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
That's a pretty lovely sale for a chain of stores that's closing.

Is their online store still going to be open? Maybe they don't want to liquidate, and are just planning to send stock to the warehouse or something.

Decided to start reading Discworld. I got mightily confused at the reading order guides so I said gently caress it and am just going to read them in publishing order. Is there any particular reason to read them the other way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Here, it's 10% off almost everything, 20% off CDs and DVDs, 40% off Blu-Ray and a few oddball items at 30% off. I'm hoping they'll slash prices even further.

The DVDs in particular are ridiculously overpriced. The King's Speech was $30. I don't know of anywhere else that has it over $20.

I picked up a copy of Main Street for $5.50 (with 10% off), but I was going to do that at some point anyway and classic lit isn't easy to find in stores around here. My Mom had been wanting to read it after I suggested it to her, but the seriously tiny hometown public library doesn't have it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
By the way, why doesn't Amazon have to tax their merchandise?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

spixxor posted:

Decided to start reading Discworld. I got mightily confused at the reading order guides so I said gently caress it and am just going to read them in publishing order. Is there any particular reason to read them the other way?
This discussion comes up periodically in the Pratchett thread, so you can check there for opinions. In general, there's not a lot of huge spoilers or anything that would ruin your enjoyment if you pick one method over the other.

A lot of people (including me) prefer reading them in publishing order because it lets you see the evolution of the writing style and the gradual introduction of new countries/species. Others prefer to read the storyline of one group (e.g. wizards, witches, or Watch) all the way through rather than jumping around. It's really all about personal preference.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

By the way, why doesn't Amazon have to tax their merchandise?

This is a very hot political issue in a lot of states. Basically they're passing that task on to their customers, but almost no one actually reports purchases from Amazon on their taxes, so states are missing a fair chunk of revenue.

The issue is that whenever a state tries to force Amazon to charge sales tax, Amazon just packs up and moves their distribution centers to another state. Eventually they'll be forced to tax everyone, but not until there are more states requiring it than not.

quote:

That's a pretty lovely sale for a chain of stores that's closing.

This is how it goes for any major chain that goes out of business. They reset their pricing to MSRP, then take a percentage off of that. You won't find a good deal until the last few days they're open, but by then anything worthwhile will be gone because a staggering amount of people will overpay for books and DVDs simply because there's a sign saying "Store Closing Everything Must Go!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There's a store up where my mom lives, that has a "GOING OUT forBUSINESS" sale about once a month. (the sign really does look like that, GOING OUT and Business are in HUGE letters. For is in these tiny tiny ones)

Basically it's like 10% off anything, with the prices raised up by 10-15%, and it's been going on for years.

No signs of stopping either. Some people just really love the idea of getting a bargain.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Jeff Wiiver posted:

According to my father the Borders closing "sale" is a joke. He was in the DVD section and was interested in buying the complete set of Deadwood. They had it marked down from $150 to $120, which isn't bad, except Amazon has it for $96 shipped.

That's a shame. I thought they were trying to get rid of some dead wood before they closed down. :downsrim:

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Give it a week or two. When the last round of Borders was closing, they had 25% off everything in the store, then by the next week it was 50% off, then 75%.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Most everything but paperbacks can be sold back to warehouses and stuff - especially when it's as large a "client" as a chain store. They have no real reason to give real deals on most of their merchandise.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

In addition to Borders and Angus & Robertson going, Reader's Feast (semi-independent) in Melbourne has now closed down too.

Aside from being generally crummy, this also sucks given that I'm hunting for a bookstore job and am up against about 600 or 700 refugees.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 26, 2011

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Jeff Wiiver posted:

According to my father the Borders closing "sale" is a joke. He was in the DVD section and was interested in buying the complete set of Deadwood. They had it marked down from $150 to $120, which isn't bad, except Amazon has it for $96 shipped.

Yep, Circuit City did this as well. I saw a video on another forum, but I can't find it now.

Basically they raise the prices of everything then offer only 10% off. Much of the stuff you can get at the going out of business sale is actually cheaper at other stores/online.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

freebooter posted:

In addition to Borders and Angus & Robertson going, Reader's Feast (semi-independent) in Melbourne has now closed down too.

Aside from being generally crummy, this also sucks given that I'm hunting for a bookstore job and am up against about 600 or 700 refugees.

The South Wharf Borders has changed into some weird discount book store, where everything is $5. I have no idea if they'll be around for any appreciable time, or if the proprietors of the Borders just needed a better way to get rid of stock.

The funniest thing to me about these places going out of business was the selling of fixtures and such. I guess you want to recoup as much money as possible in such a scenario, but it just seemed odd. It'll be interesting to see what stores the spaces become.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Asclepius posted:

The South Wharf Borders has changed into some weird discount book store, where everything is $5. I have no idea if they'll be around for any appreciable time, or if the proprietors of the Borders just needed a better way to get rid of stock.

Dirt Cheap Books? There was a CD store in Perth called Dirt Cheap CDs with the same kind of logo, and the Camberwell A&R turned into a Dirt Cheap Books. They actually had some pretty good stock left, I picked up Black Swan Green and Shriek: An Afterword for five bucks each.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Borders is now up to a minimum of 20% off everything in the store, but the only things 40% off are blu-ray and magazines. CDs are still 30% off.

I didn't purchase anything, but there was still a big crowd of people in there buying stuff. Perhaps not as crowded as last Saturday, but not far off.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hello, Book Barn. I have a question about books. Specifically the physical properties of them.

Been readin' some books. Pretty good books. Something weird is happening to the book itself as I read it, though.

The edges of the pages are turning grey like that. As I go through the book, the edges grey up along with my progress.

Why is this happening? This is the third in a series, and the other two, printed the same, same page thickness and all that whatnot have this greying all the way through. It can't just be crap on my hands rubbing off on them or all the edges would be discoloring like that. What's going on here?

:confused:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I think you hit the nail on the head that it's from your hands. I dunno about you, but I hold paperbacks in my left hand, with my left thumb along the side of the page to hold it open and maybe my left pinkie propping open the other side. If I had, say, oily hands due to hot summer weather, I'd expect exactly that wear pattern from my thumb as I progressed through the book. On the other side it would be less because it's the back of my pinkie, mostly fingernail, touching that page. Might also be a bit of shadow as the pages will never lay quite as flat once a book has been read.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Turn the page, wash your hands.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Your hands naturally secrete oil and it's getting onto the pages. No biggie. I guess if it really bugs you, wear gloves when reading?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

How are you liking ASoIaF, Wulfolme?

(why can I recognize that book from that sliver of the back cover?)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wulfolme posted:

Hello, Book Barn. I have a question about books. Specifically the physical properties of them.

Been readin' some books. Pretty good books. Something weird is happening to the book itself as I read it, though.

The edges of the pages are turning grey like that. As I go through the book, the edges grey up along with my progress.

Why is this happening? This is the third in a series, and the other two, printed the same, same page thickness and all that whatnot have this greying all the way through. It can't just be crap on my hands rubbing off on them or all the edges would be discoloring like that. What's going on here?

:confused:
The ink on the pages is smudging onto the edges from your fingers. Look at your thumbs after an hour of reading, they'll probably be grey with cheap ink. It's extremely common with paperbacks nowadays that the ink smudges all over the loving place.

Solution: read book with tweezers, or buy book that's not printed with cheap ink.

my l41 m4ss4cr3
Nov 1, 2008

by angerbot
There's about a page long story in Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami where a devil sits by a Finnish country road and has a farmer come by and talk with him; they use really archaic speech which comes out as Old English in the translation. I don't suppose Murakami finishes the story elsewhere in his work but does anyone know what type of dialect he used to get that archaic effect in the original Japanese?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Wulfolme posted:

Why is this happening?

Because you haven't bought a kindle yet treekiller. :mad:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wulfolme posted:

inky smudges

This reminds me of the poo poo dye that was used to color the binding for Wolves of the Calla. That poo poo gets everywhere when you read the book.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

BellumGallikku posted:

There's about a page long story in Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami where a devil sits by a Finnish country road and has a farmer come by and talk with him; they use really archaic speech which comes out as Old English in the translation. I don't suppose Murakami finishes the story elsewhere in his work but does anyone know what type of dialect he used to get that archaic effect in the original Japanese?

No, but I'd love to know how much of it was Murakami's tin ear and how much the translator's.

quote:

Whither ye be gang in sich 'aste? the Devil called out to a Farmer. Done broke me ploughshare and must to fixe it, the farmer replied.

(Edit: sorry if this sounds really snotty and rude. My point is that the translation is really synthetic and cobbled-together, and the original might actually be totally different.)

Unless you meant the bit the narrator thinks is Finnish. Anyway, there's a Japanese literature thread and a Japanese language thread in (I think) A/T, they're probably better bets than here.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 1, 2011

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

How are you liking ASoIaF, Wulfolme?

(why can I recognize that book from that sliver of the back cover?)

Storm of Swords took me all of 96 hours from start to finish. Bathing was eschewed.

I am taking a loving break before I start Feast for Crows.

And thanks for all them replies.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

Storm of Swords took me all of 96 hours from start to finish. Bathing was eschewed.

I am taking a loving break before I start Feast for Crows.

Storm of Swords is easily the best; it's just cover-to-cover huge events. Feast for Crows is pretty disappointing if you go straight into it after ASoS.

Has anyone read The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To? A friend of mine lent it to me and I started it today, and it is hilarious so far. It's by DC Pierson, who's a member of DERRICK Comedy.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
You know, a lot of us tend to exaggerate how bad AFFC really was. It was disappointing mainly because we wanted to see the storyline progress further after 4 years of waiting.

I mean, there is some interesting behind-the-scenes stuff that happens in AFFC that you didn't get with the other books and you get to see what's happening in other regions besides the ones the main POV's were limited to.

It's also a shorter read than its two predecessors, but it does drag in places.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

The main problem (apart from the Brienne chapters being utterly boring) is that most of the book didn't capture the immense scope that the other four do. I know that's mostly a result of the exclusion of the more far-flung viewpoints (Jon and Dany), but the book definitely suffered from it.

That being said, the Jaime chapters rule and it's enjoyable seeing Cersei steadily make more and more decisions that come back to bite her in the rear end.

What did you think of ADwD, Contra? (Sorry to have this discussion in here, but I want no part of the Bad Thread.)

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

That being said, the Jaime chapters rule and it's enjoyable seeing Cersei steadily make more and more decisions that come back to bite her in the rear end.

You're just saying that because of my avatar aren't you? :smug:

What did you think of ADwD, Contra? (Sorry to have this discussion in here, but I want no part of the Bad Thread.)

I have some news: The Bad Thread's basically gone. It's nothing but discussion in the spoiler-thread right now. No more rape jokes, lemoncakes, or spoilers.

Honestly, I thought it was a solid book, but it suffered because of two certain main POV characters (whose names I shall not mention here) that had stagnating plotlines. However, there is a certain main POV whose chapters have some of the best writing GRRM has done in ages. And that's all I'll say because I'd hate to spoil anything for anyone (outside of the bad thread of course).

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Interesting article about why Angus & Robertson and Borders collapsed in Australia; not because the bookselling industry is dying, but because of lovely business practices.

http://www.scribepublications.com.au/blog

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Borders has jumped to a minimum of 25% off. The only items 50% off are greeting cards and magazines. I think I'll play chicken with them one more week before making any decisions on things to buy.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
edit: Google came through. Disregard.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 7, 2011

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Looks like Borders has hit its apex. It was 30% off most stuff last week and it's 30% off most stuff this week. Nothing has changed.

I picked up Nixonland as a gift for my Dad. He's been wanting to read it and no area libraries have it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That's far from an apex, it just means they're doing pretty steady business at that level so there's no need to bump up the discount just yet. We will eventually see 80% or more off, if only for a day or two.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I've read over 3 thousand books, probably more. Im not trying to brag. I actually have a problem with it, books consume my life and I read 3 to 4 a week, fiction nonfiction. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, it consumes my life in the fact that I will forego going out with friends in order to read books. Also, books is a strong word. I read authors meaning Ill pick an author and then just read everything they've ever written. I don't know why but I've done it as a kid. It started with Hardy Boy books and just snowballed.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 16, 2011

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Hollis posted:

I've read over 3 thousand books, probably more. Im not trying to brag. I actually have a problem with it, books consume my life and I read 3 to 4 a week, fiction nonfiction. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, it consumes my life in the fact that I will forego going out with friends in order to read books. Also, books is a strong word. I read authors meaning Ill pick an author and then just read everything they've ever written. I don't know why but I've done it as a kid. It started with Hardy Boy books and just snowballed.

Holy poo poo.

That certainly sounds like an addiction/obsession, albeit a strange one. Since you've used the terms "problem", "consumes my life", I'm going to have to say that you might benefit from some therapy.

Also, how do you keep count? Where'd you get the number 3,000 from?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
That sounds like the best addiction ever. I love reading, but I also love film and music and video games, so sometimes those things distract me from my 700 strong collection of books.

I'm curious though, how do you get the books? Do you go to the library or buy them used or what? :allears:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I don't see any problem. I started with Hardy Boys (and Nancy Drew). :)

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Hollis posted:

I also do the thing where I read everything an author has written, but I'm not at a place in my life where it's a problem. I agree with the poster who suggests that you might need to look at some outside resources (like therapy) so that you can be living the life you'd prefer to live. If you suffer from social anxiety it might be easier & more comfortable for you to spend time with books than go out with friends, and talking with someone could help you sort that out. I mean, it's also possible you're just an introvert -- but you don't sound happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I have a mood disorder, and use to take a small dose of Seroquel, I have went through therapy but that was focused mostly on me dealing and interacting with people. I'm okay with it but sometimes it gets really bad and it takes up days of my time. It's kind of a weird thing to have. Some people think man I wish I had that. No you don't it's compulsive behavior. If I pick up a book and start reading it ,I will have to finish it.

Over the years its become fairly manageable as a disorder.

1. I buy from used book stores, generally. I've never really spent money on books I just go to used book stores and do a cycle. Basically there are 3 used book stores, I buy book A from Store A and when I finish I take it to B and get credit as if its a new book, etc... etc..Oh this is a cheap way to get books and build a ton of credit. I have probably 1000 dollars in bookstore credit among the various used bookstores around here.

2. I get them from online in EPUB or HTML format.

3. The 3000 number comes from the fact that I've read since I was 4, I literally read all of the young adult section at Rapides Parish Library when I was like 7. That's a weird story because apparently they were doing some sort of Scholastic Book Challenge when I was in second grade I didn't know about it. I won and got to go the state capital. I figure I read now around 80 to 100 books a year.

It's just like any other compulsive disorder, you feel compelled to do it. It's kind of weird. On the other hand, I write like a madman but have never been published. Oh and yes my grammar is bad I blame reading Beckett and Saramago when I was younger.

edit:
Oh I thought I should add it doesn't give me in special insight into anything, I'm not like super smart. I'm intelligent and I can talk to you about most authors but other than that I don't know how to do poo poo with poo poo. Things get lost in the wash with this because I read so much that stuff bleeds together. I retain a good bit , plots, some specific things that stick out but I can't like verbatim tell you details of a book I read 10 years ago. Just because you read something doesn't mean you understand it. I can read a paper on quantum physics and I have done that, but I don't understand it. It's not like I am sitting around reading manuals and manuals on medicine or anything. I have but I'm not a genius so I retain a little bit and then lose it over time. That's actually one of the ways I manage it is to read things I am not interested in like bird watching or some other droll subject.

Also, I am not unhappy with it , but it does sometimes interfere with me interacting with people. As Ill be like " Okay please stop talking and let me finish what I am doing I have this book I want to get back into"

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 17, 2011