Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
I posted in the graphics thread a few days ago, but maybe this is a better place. What is the sweet spot for gaming at 2560x1600? I was looking at picking up a 6950 in the short term to work through my backlog, then another in a few month span when its on sale for cheap to crossfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

CRUISECONTROL posted:

I posted in the graphics thread a few days ago, but maybe this is a better place. What is the sweet spot for gaming at 2560x1600? I was looking at picking up a 6950 in the short term to work through my backlog, then another in a few month span when its on sale for cheap to crossfire.

That's a plan. Another one would be two 6850s or GTX 460/560s in CrossFire/SLI. More raw power than a 6970 while being competitively priced with one. CrossFire 6950s will just blow that away, though.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
So according to the OP DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI-D are equivalent. So what's the point of having DisplayPort at all then?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Cubemario posted:

So according to the OP DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI-D are equivalent. So what's the point of having DisplayPort at all then?

DisplayPort isn't exactly the same signal when it's native, but it can carry HDMI/DVI signals as well. When it's native, it can run absurdly high resolutions or you can daisy-chain up to three displays through one port. It's also more suited (at an under-the-hood level) for laptops or other devices that only sometimes plug into a display than DVI and HDMI. It's also neat for video content, because it can vary refresh rates without resyncing the display (according to Wikipedia, at least), and version 1.3 allows the screen to maintain its own screen buffer if the image isn't refreshing, which saves power on a laptop's GPU.

It's also designed to be an internal laptop connector, replacing LVDS and ending that little headache.

Really, just read the Wikipedia page on it. DisplayPort is capable of a ton of cool things that panel makers really have yet to take advantage of.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
FWIW in the BF3 Alpha I get 50-60fps with an OC'd Geforce GTX 570 at 1920x1200 so I'm not sure how much mileage you'll get out of a single card solution at 2560x1600. Then again BF3 Alpha right now is a completely unoptimized piece of poo poo so maybe you'll be fine.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

This Post Sucks posted:

Hey, I just got a U2410 used off of Ebay, and when I hooked it up, it almost looks as if the color settings are set to 16 bit with a lot of vertical lines going on it kind of like when you don't have a video driver installed.

My other monitor is working just fine, but I installed the Dell's U2410 driver just to try it out.

Any advice or should I just try and return it?

Thanks!

Edit: I've tried both DVI ports and the RGB port and they are all the same. I've ever tried reverting it back to factory settings.

The U2410 isn't all that old, so if it has a fault, it may well be under the 3 year warranty...

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

This Post Sucks posted:

Hey, I just got a U2410 used off of Ebay, and when I hooked it up, it almost looks as if the color settings are set to 16 bit with a lot of vertical lines going on it kind of like when you don't have a video driver installed.

My other monitor is working just fine, but I installed the Dell's U2410 driver just to try it out.

Any advice or should I just try and return it?

Thanks!

Edit: I've tried both DVI ports and the RGB port and they are all the same. I've ever tried reverting it back to factory settings.

The earliest revisions of U2410 had quite bad dithering problems on the sRGB and AdobeRGB presets, so it might be that. This was fixed in the A01 revision of the monitor, I believe.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Thanks, are LG monitors good though? It seems I never hear anyone talking about them.

That Asus looks like it'd be a good budget one, but sadly it can't be mounted which is one thing I'd like. I'll keep both up to consider though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there a reason why the U2410 is recommended despite its cost (mine are hand-me-downs)? Is there a site where I can get a better deal to look up?

How does this monitor hold up?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

edit: I skipped past it. Sorry for being lazy.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 29, 2011

.random
May 7, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is there a reason why the U2410 is recommended despite its cost (mine are hand-me-downs)? Is there a site where I can get a better deal to look up?

How does this monitor hold up?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

Did... Did you even read the OP? Or any part of this thread?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Quanta posted:

The earliest revisions of U2410 had quite bad dithering problems on the sRGB and AdobeRGB presets, so it might be that. This was fixed in the A01 revision of the monitor, I believe.
While they had occasional dithering problems, they shouldn't be putting bands all over the place, especially not if you reset to factory defaults (which starts you out in "Standard" mode, rather than sRGB or Adobe RGB). It sounds to me like you may have found out why it was on eBay and not on someone's desk.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I have read, and read, and read, and then read some more, and then looked into the details of this monitor: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/ET.VS2HP.A01

I find that it's TN and that's the thing that makes me wonder. The OP leads me to believe that this technology will give me pretty crappy quality overall. Has this changed or am I just misunderstanding? I just play games, watch videos and browse a lot. I'm not in need of ultra high performance but don't want to waste money either.

Also, every description where it can be purchased lists response time at 2ms, but the tech documentation lists it at 5ms. Who's wrong here? (http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/MONITOR/2010/Acer/S232HL/S232HLsp2.shtml)

My last monitor died on me and I can pick this up within 10 hours when a store opens. Also it's only $170. Any compelling reason to avoid this thing?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

zxqv8 posted:

I find that it's TN and that's the thing that makes me wonder. The OP leads me to believe that this technology will give me pretty crappy quality overall. Has this changed or am I just misunderstanding? I just play games, watch videos and browse a lot. I'm not in need of ultra high performance but don't want to waste money either.

For a start all budget monitors are TN, so if you are in the market for a cheapish monitor don't let that worry you. The screen you are coming from would almost certainly have been TN anyway.

As for response time I wouldn't worry there either. IIRC its largely marketing these days anyway, it can be defined in different ways (same goes for contrast ratios)

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
So probably fine then. Thanks, just needed to know if I was looking at a stinker somehow. I'm not my grandparents, but that much tech talk is still kinda tough to decipher the first time you look at it.

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY
Okay, I could use some help.

I've been planning on building a new computer in line with the release of Diablo 3. The only thing I'm stuck on is the monitor. I know I'm going to be getting a Dell IPS panel, but what I'm stuck on is the size of the panel. Right now it's between 24" and 30". I didn't consider 27" because it's 16:9. Here's my rationale so far:

1. How far I sit away from the monitor. Is there such a thing as TOO big? I think right now I've either got a 19" or a 21", I can't remember. Where I'm situated at my desk I sit anywhere from 12" to 18" away from the screen.
2. Hardware. I know if I get a bigger screen which supports a higher resolution, I would need a beefier graphics card(s) to push higher resolutions to the screen. I'm not OPPOSED to doing SLI/Crossfire, but it's one more part which generates heat, and one more part which has the potential to break, and one more part which is going to drive the cost of the build up.

Any advice?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

HE ON THE TOILET posted:

1. How far I sit away from the monitor. Is there such a thing as TOO big? I think right now I've either got a 19" or a 21", I can't remember. Where I'm situated at my desk I sit anywhere from 12" to 18" away from the screen.
Seriously? That's...really close. Even if you just have a normal monitor towards the back of a normal sized desk and are sitting in a chair, you should be 24"-36" away. 12" is approximately the distance from your eyes to the front of the desk if you're sitting up straight. If you are sticking the monitor at the very front of the desk or whatever and have a 12" distace...stop that. It's terrible for your eyes to be that close to a monitor. But yes, you can certainly be "too big," especially if you sit that close to your monitor. For a 30" monitor you're going to want to sit at least 36" away from it, otherwise you're going to spend a lot of time moving your head and eyes around to see everything.

HE ON THE TOILET posted:

2. Hardware. I know if I get a bigger screen which supports a higher resolution, I would need a beefier graphics card(s) to push higher resolutions to the screen. I'm not OPPOSED to doing SLI/Crossfire, but it's one more part which generates heat, and one more part which has the potential to break, and one more part which is going to drive the cost of the build up.
It depends on what sort of games you plan on running. If you're more or less just interested in Diablo 3 and equivalent games, you could certainly get away with some single-card solution, like a 6950/6970/570. If you'd also be interested in something like, say, Battlefield 3 when that comes out, then you would probably need to kick it up a notch, either to a dual-GPU solution, or something like a 6990 (which is pretty much a dual-GPU solution anyhow, just on a single PCB). For some current-game references, on BF2:BC at 2560x1600 w/4xFSAA a 6950'll do about 45fps, a 6970/580 will do ~50fps, and a 6990 will do ~90fps. At 1920x1200 the 6950 does 65fps, and the others all do higher than that.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

DrDork posted:

It depends on what sort of games you plan on running. If you're more or less just interested in Diablo 3 and equivalent games, you could certainly get away with some single-card solution, like a 6950/6970/570. If you'd also be interested in something like, say, Battlefield 3 when that comes out, then you would probably need to kick it up a notch, either to a dual-GPU solution, or something like a 6990 (which is pretty much a dual-GPU solution anyhow, just on a single PCB). For some current-game references, on BF2:BC at 2560x1600 w/4xFSAA a 6950'll do about 45fps, a 6970/580 will do ~50fps, and a 6990 will do ~90fps. At 1920x1200 the 6950 does 65fps, and the others all do higher than that.

Ever since I got my second monitor I stopped running games in full screen. Is there anyone here who games at 2560x1600? It seems like you spend a lot of extra money on video cards and still get middling performance. Plus, with two+ monitors full screen sucks, clicking on another monitor causes the game to minimize and the screen to change resolution. I guess nowadays they have the windowed (no borders) mode which gives you full screen without being annoying. I don't think there is much of a difference in immersion between full screen and 3/4ths of the screen, and having the game run at a smooth 60fps more than makes up for the loss.

Sorry this is so rambling, what I'm trying to say is that just because you have a huge monitor does not mean you need to spend the premium for a video card beastly enough to push 60fps at 2650x1600.

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY

DrDork posted:

Seriously? That's...really close. Even if you just have a normal monitor towards the back of a normal sized desk and are sitting in a chair, you should be 24"-36" away. 12" is approximately the distance from your eyes to the front of the desk if you're sitting up straight. If you are sticking the monitor at the very front of the desk or whatever and have a 12" distace...stop that. It's terrible for your eyes to be that close to a monitor. But yes, you can certainly be "too big," especially if you sit that close to your monitor. For a 30" monitor you're going to want to sit at least 36" away from it, otherwise you're going to spend a lot of time moving your head and eyes around to see everything.

You're right. I actually just measured and it seems I had way underestimated my viewing distance. I'm sitting about 24" away from my current monitor.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Magic Underwear posted:

Sorry this is so rambling, what I'm trying to say is that just because you have a huge monitor does not mean you need to spend the premium for a video card beastly enough to push 60fps at 2650x1600.
While you're right in that you don't have to, if you're already thinking about dropping $1200+ for a U3011, you can probably afford the price bump between a 1920x1200 card and a 2560x1600 card.

That said, if you're only 24" away from the monitor (and can't/don't want to move it further back), you may be in the "too close for comfort" range for a 30" monitor. It's rather subjective, though, so you may want to give yourself a little demonstration and cut out a 17.75x27.5" bit of cardboard and see if you can comfortably view the entire thing at that distance. The U2711, by comparison, is 15.25x25.5" or so.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

The main decider of full screen vs windowed mode for me is if the game will let me play movies on my second monitor (a TV) while still running full screen. A few games still gently caress that up (COD7 and BF2 I'm looking at you) but a lot of them handle it properly these days. I haven't messed around with those resizing programs though so maybe there's a workaround.

I just got two cheapish 560 Ti's to game at 2650x1600, but at the most intense parts of Crysis 2 I keep crashing due to my Zalmann 750 watt power supply not being able to quite handle it. Apparently even the lower end 560 Ti's can use up to 360 watts of power each under peak load which is ridiculous. A 1200 watt PS is on its yay (Antec), I kind of needed it for the longer cables anyway.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sadus posted:

I just got two cheapish 560 Ti's to game at 2650x1600, but at the most intense parts of Crysis 2 I keep crashing due to my Zalmann 750 watt power supply not being able to quite handle it. Apparently even the lower end 560 Ti's can use up to 360 watts of power each under peak load which is ridiculous. A 1200 watt PS is on its yay (Antec), I kind of needed it for the longer cables anyway.

Have you tried BF3 beta at all? Need to get setup for when BF3 and ME3 come out, all I have right now is a single GTX460 which is barely cutting it @ 2560x1600. Twin 560 Tis would be pretty cheap...

e: new thread title thanks SWSP :toot:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

e: new thread title thanks SWSP :toot:
Hey wait a second!

My 27" IPS panel is 16:9 :downs:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hey wait a second!

My 27" IPS panel is 16:9 :downs:

Guess someone's subhuman! :smug: Got your new MBA hooked up to it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

Guess someone's subhuman! :smug: Got your new MBA hooked up to it?
I don't think my mid-2010 27" iMac will do Target Display Mode from a ThunderBolt port (only DisplayPort), unless I'm confused.

I contemplated upgrading the iMac as well, but I still want Target Display Mode support with my Kanex adapter for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't think my mid-2010 27" iMac will do Target Display Mode from a ThunderBolt port (only DisplayPort), unless I'm confused.

I contemplated upgrading the iMac as well, but I still want Target Display Mode support with my Kanex adapter for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Huh, yeah you seem to be screwed. Either you keep current iMac and don't get to hook MBA up to it, or you upgrade iMac and then wait for an adapter that will let you still hook up 360/PS3 to it.

I'm a go add this to OP...

e: please fact check the following updated descriptions:

quote:

Dell U2412M (IPS) :alert: NEW :alert:
Inputs: DVI, DP, VGA lost 1x DVI, HDMI, Component and Composite compared to the 2410
Resolution: 1920x1200
Recommended: Probably, look for goon testimonials in ths thread
+/- Anti-Glare Coating
+ LED Backlit
+ USB Hub (lost media reader)
+ Factory calibrated (not a replacement for real calibration, though)
+ Picture-in-Picture
- 6-bit panel. Technically "worse", but a lot of reviewers praised the 2311H without even realizing it was 6-bit. If you do color-sensitive work / are a professional, you may want to find an alternative.

2010 Apple LED Cinema Display (IPS)
Inputs: 1x Mini-DisplayPort
Resolution: 2560x1440
Recommended: Sure, if you like Apple.
+/- Glossy
+ Integrated magsafe connector
+ Integrated USB Hub
+ Integrated speakers and Integrated iSight Webcam
+ LED backlit!
- Has a pretty short cable that's moulded into the screen
- no height adjustment

2010 iMac 27" (IPS)
Inputs: 1x Mini-DisplayPort
Recommended: N/A
+/- it's also a computer!
- Can't do Target Display Mode with Thunderbolt Macs as of 8/1/2011
* identical to the LED Cinema Display otherwise

2011 Apple Thunderbolt Display (IPS)
Inputs: 1x :black101: Thunderbolt
Ports: 3x USB 2.0, 1x FW800, 1x Gigabit Ethernet, 1x Kensington
Recommended: Yes, if you have a Thunderbolt Mac.
+/- Glossy
+ Integrated magsafe connector
+ Integrated USB Hub
+ Integrated speakers and Integrated Facetime HD Webcam
+ Integrated GigE + FW800
+ LED backlit!
- Has a pretty short cable that's moulded into the screen
- :black101: Thunderbolt Only
- no height adjustment

2011 iMac 27" (IPS)
Inputs: 1x :black101: Thunderbolt
Recommended: Yes, if you have a Thunderbolt Mac.
* Same as the 2011 Thunderbolt display, but with a computer!
- Only does Target Display Mode with Thunderbolt Macs (old Kanex adapters will not work!)

Brain is confused between 2010/2011 Macs right now, so I probably swapped some stuff around. Once we confirm it accurate here, can also toss into OP of the Mac Hardware thread.

Apple :argh:

movax fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 2, 2011

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Apple basically just killed the market segment of people who like their displays but not their computers.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Apple basically just killed the market segment of people who like their displays but not their computers.

They are just trying to merge them.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

gently caress that, they can pry the rig I built myself from my cold dead hands.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

movax posted:

+/- 6-bit panel. Technically "worse", but a lot of reviewers praised the 2311H without even realizing it was 6-bit. Wouldn't worry about it.

The one proviso to this is that it's recommended to get a proper 8-bit display if you're professional or even semi-professional and use a graphics program like Photoshop. I have two NEC displays (a true 8-bit NEC PA241W at work and a 6-bit NEC PA231W at home) and the limitations of 6-bit become apparent when, for example, I'm using Photoshop on the 23" monitor and gradients I apply are banding quite badly. The 8-bit panel reproduces everything perfectly, on the other hand.

.random
May 7, 2007

Quanta posted:

The one proviso to this is that it's recommended to get a proper 8-bit display if you're professional or even semi-professional and use a graphics program like Photoshop. I have two NEC displays (a true 8-bit NEC PA241W at work and a 6-bit NEC PA231W at home) and the limitations of 6-bit become apparent when, for example, I'm using Photoshop on the 23" monitor and gradients I apply are banding quite badly. The 8-bit panel reproduces everything perfectly, on the other hand.

Not sure it's worth including in the OP, but I suppose it's as good a time as any to mention that I tried the U2311H (two of them, actually) hooked up to my MBP. Both exhibited the vertical "pinstriping" (especially on less-saturated colors) which someone mentioned earlier in the thread, which I found it immensely annoying.

Then again, a friend could only see it when squinting, so who knows.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

movax posted:

Apple :argh:
For the Apple LED CD, the only "DisplayPort fuckery" you have to worry about on the PC side is having a DisplayPort output at all--after that it's just a cheap adapter to get to mini-DP. It's not as much of an issue now as it was when the ACD first switched to that, because most cards these days have at least one DP output.

For the U2412 you have it being LED back-lit as a +/- where all the others having it be LED is just a +, not sure why that is. And at 82% CIE 1976, I'm not really sure if it even really qualifies as "wide gamut" as it's only 1% more than many monitors that we consider "normal gamut" such as the U2311H. The ZR30W actually has a wider gamut than that.

.random posted:

Not sure it's worth including in the OP, but I suppose it's as good a time as any to mention that I tried the U2311H (two of them, actually) hooked up to my MBP. Both exhibited the vertical "pinstriping" (especially on less-saturated colors) which someone mentioned earlier in the thread, which I found it immensely annoying.
This is a semi-common problem with Macs, and apparently stems from the dithering formula that the monitor uses and the dithering formula that Mac OS X uses not playing nicely with each other. Exchanging the monitor is very unlikely to help that--you just have to go with a different model entirely and hope its' dithering plays better.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 2, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

For the Apple LED CD, the only "DisplayPort fuckery" you have to worry about on the PC side is having a DisplayPort output at all--after that it's just a cheap adapter to get to mini-DP. It's not as much of an issue now as it was when the ACD first switched to that, because most cards these days have at least one DP output.

For the U2412 you have it being LED back-lit as a +/- where all the others having it be LED is just a +, not sure why that is. And at 82% CIE 1976, I'm not really sure if it even really qualifies as "wide gamut" as it's only 1% more than many monitors that we consider "normal gamut" such as the U2311H. The ZR30W actually has a wider gamut than that.

Ok, edited my post up there. Let me see if I've got this stuff right about Apple displays:

2010 Apple Cinema Display - works with anything that outputs DisplayPort
2010 iMac - will not work with Thunderbolt Macs as a target display.
2011 Thunderbolt Display - only works with Thunderbolt Macs.
2011 iMac - only works with Thunderbolt Macs as a target display.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Anyone working with different sized screens of the same (vertical) resolution?

Currently I'm using a 20" 1600x1200 4:3 panel alongside a 20" 1680x1050 16:10 model which works surprisingly well because although the heights are different everything pretty much lines up between the two screens.

(see how the window is in roughly the same place on each screen)

If I swapped out the 16:10 for a 24" Dell I'd be matching the vertical resolution of the 4:3 panel but the physical height is going to be quite a bit more (if my high school trig serves me correctly). Just wondering if this is going to be really jarring.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dissss posted:

Anyone working with different sized screens of the same (vertical) resolution?

Currently I'm using a 20" 1600x1200 4:3 panel alongside a 20" 1680x1050 16:10 model which works surprisingly well because although the heights are different everything pretty much lines up between the two screens.

(see how the window is in roughly the same place on each screen)

If I swapped out the 16:10 for a 24" Dell I'd be matching the vertical resolution of the 4:3 panel but the physical height is going to be quite a bit more (if my high school trig serves me correctly). Just wondering if this is going to be really jarring.

It's not too bad. I've attached a horrible low-light picture of my setup (1x U3011, 2x 2209WA).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Even though I'm poo poo out of cash, I feel like I need to get a U2410 since the replacement is not ideal for my needs (even discounting the 6-bit panel, it has bullshit connectivity.. I want to hook my old stuff sometimes, dammit!) and they'll no doubt be all gone soon..

Edit: done. bought one from eBay, refurbished apparently, a05 rev, includes a 3 year warranty and 0 bright pixel guarantee, just as new. hope it's all good! it'll sit alongside my 2007wfp.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 2, 2011

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hurray I got a megathread title change under my belt :toot:

HalloKitty posted:

Even though I'm poo poo out of cash, I feel like I need to get a U2410 since the replacement is not ideal for my needs (even discounting the 6-bit panel, it has bullshit connectivity.. I want to hook my old stuff sometimes, dammit!) and they'll no doubt be all gone soon..

Edit: done. bought one from eBay, refurbished apparently, a05 rev, includes a 3 year warranty and 0 bright pixel guarantee, just as new. hope it's all good! it'll sit alongside my 2007wfp.

You didn't have to rush to get a U2410, they still have quite a decent stock of them so I hear. An intrepid cheapass bargain hunter from RedFlagDeals (Canadian version of slickdeals I guess) got on the phone with Dell for a U2410, the rep said $420 and he lowballed them with an offer for $380 so they agreed on a price of $405 or almost $200 in savings.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
How dramatic is the difference between IPS and TN panels anyway?

I'm looking to upgrade monitors to the 23-24" range, driven by my new computer with an HD6850. Right now, I'm using an IPS panel (Dell 2007WFP), in addition to having 2 IPS panels at work (2005FPW). I've been gaming more and more, so a 120Hz panel sounds interesting and the lower price seems like it'd let me go for a 24" over a 23", but I'm really worried that I'm going to get a TN panel and just hate it out of the box because I'm so used to IPS panels at this point.

Additionally, how odd is it to run dual monitors of differing sizes? I'm thinking if I do go with a larger monitor here that I might keep my 2007WFP and go dual monitor, supposing my video card can handle it (and I would imagine it can). I'm just somewhat worried how awkward it would be having the differently sized monitors linked like that?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Go to your nearest Best Buy and walk down the aisle looking at all the monitors from an angle and then you'll run back to your IPS fast enough. 120hz monitors are for people who play a lot of FPS every day.

Also a lot of people go with different sized monitors, just be aware that nVidia cards run hotter doing different resolutions at the same time (so I am told anyhow).

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

movax posted:

drat that's some lovely AG coating :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Manny posted:

drat that's some lovely AG coating :v:

Apparently vitamin water takes it right off though.