Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I stared my PC gaming career with an AMD Athlon XP and an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Then, I went to an Intel q6600 and a Nvidia 8800 GTS. Now, I'm on a just-before-sandy bridge Intel I5 with an ATI 6870.

I've been amazed with every system I've built and completely satisfied with them, have never had any odd driver issues in any games (even launch Brink was a-ok for me and my ATI) so I guess my anecdotes are always going to cancel out jerks on the internet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Right now I have an ATI card but I'll probably buy an nvidia next because most of the games I play are "optimized" for nvidia cards v0v.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

washow posted:

Right now I have an ATI card but I'll probably buy an nvidia next because most of the games I play are "optimized" for nvidia cards v0v.

:ssh: The "Way It's Meant to be Played! (tm)" splashscreens are just marketing. Look at actual game benchmarks.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
All this talk is well and good, but every time I try to install ATI drivers (and I mean every. single. time.) I get an "install package error" and then this loving yellow/gold color causes my screen to go into epileptic fits if I leave Cat AI turned on.

I'm not saying it wouldn't happen with nVidia, I'm just saying it's a bitch and it's happening with ATI. (And ATI has no idea wtf is going on either. Their customer service was pretty abysmal thus far. nVidia could be the same way for all I know, but I've never used their cards.)

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:

Devil Wears Wings posted:

:ssh: The "Way It's Meant to be Played! (tm)" splashscreens are just marketing. Look at actual game benchmarks.

Oh is that so? Well I've been looking at benchmarks and 560ti seems pretty closed to 6970 which is like 50 bux more expensive

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

washow posted:

Oh is that so? Well I've been looking at benchmarks and 560ti seems pretty closed to 6970 which is like 50 bux more expensive

the 6950 1gb is the ATI countepart to the 560 Ti, the 6970 is closer to the GTX570 ($100 premium for like 10-20% performance over the 560 ti, don't bother)

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

washow posted:

Like the poster above me said, the GTX 560 TI trades blows with the Radeon 6950 1GB. Not sure where you're getting the idea that it's close to the 6970.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Been out of the loop for almost two years, is it still true that, between ATI and NVidia cards of comparable performance, the NVidia ones tend to be significantly more power-hungry (and/or to run hotter)?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

NihilCredo posted:

Been out of the loop for almost two years, is it still true that, between ATI and NVidia cards of comparable performance, the NVidia ones tend to be significantly more power-hungry (and/or to run hotter)?

It was like that for a while, but ATI's current flagship card creates a shameful amount of heat, noise, and you need a nuclear reactor to power it. Nvidia made a special effort to make their 590 card (which is ludicrously expensive) quiet, cool, and consume less power.

You just have to read reviews for each generation of video cards these days.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 31, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Node posted:

It was like that for a while, but ATI's current flagship card creates a shameful amount of heat, noise, and you need a nuclear reactor to power it. Nvidia made a special effort to make their 590 card (which is ludicrously expensive) quiet, cool, and consume less power.

Where you getting this info? Your claim sounded a bit dubious, and assuming we're talking about the 590 and the 6990, I checked out about 12 reviews for each and the stats for both cards are very similar in the power, noise, and heat categories. Some reviews showed each card pulling ahead of the other in one category or another, but no review showed one card completely slam dunking the other as you claim.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Node posted:

pretty much this. Brand loyalty is a silly thing, do a little research and don't worry if someone thinks their card (or their drivers???) is/are better than yours.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

washow posted:

That's the main reason I bought one. Yeah it's bad from a long-term consumer standpoint, but Nvidia keeps shelling out money to make sure that games are mainly tested on Nvidia cards sooooo

Plus the GTX 460 is probably one of the best cards I've ever gotten in terms of price/performance.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Where you getting this info? Your claim sounded a bit dubious, and assuming we're talking about the 590 and the 6990, I checked out about 12 reviews for each and the stats for both cards are very similar in the power, noise, and heat categories. Some reviews showed each card pulling ahead of the other in one category or another, but no review showed one card completely slam dunking the other as you claim.

Well, if you've read about 12 reviews, you probably have a better idea than I do. At guru3d, specifically http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-590-review/9 , it shows the 590 being a bit less in terms of power consumption and heat level (both cards are obscenely hot), but the big difference is the noise level, which is important to me. The 590 is about 6 dba less, which is significant when using that unit of measurement.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Node posted:

Well, if you've read about 12 reviews, you probably have a better idea than I do. At guru3d, specifically http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-590-review/9 , it shows the 590 being a bit less in terms of power consumption and heat level (both cards are obscenely hot), but the big difference is the noise level, which is important to me. The 590 is about 6 dba less, which is significant when using that unit of measurement.

That says the 6990 is about 50 dba under load, which is the ambient sound level in an office or classroom, but still 10 dba less than a normal speaking voice, according to their chart. That's louder, but you're never gonna hear that under the sound from a game unless you listen for it.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
Wait, didn't ATI have that crippling bug for Brink? :crossarms:

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Crosspostin' from parts picking

Get at least a 5770 which is now $100 AR at Newegg. Cards slower than that are too crippled to worth their price.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Amrosorma posted:

And NVidia has crippling bugs for Battlefield 3 right now. It's just the nature of PC gaming, no matter what device you pick you're going to run into issues with a certain game somewhere down the line.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And NVidia has crippling bugs for Battlefield 3 right now. It's just the nature of PC gaming, no matter what device you pick you're going to run into issues with a certain game somewhere down the line.

"crippling bugs" that are remedied by switching to a different driver, in an Alpha for an unreleased game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

The worst thing about my ati card is that it really sucks at procedurally generating terrain in Space Engine :saddowns:.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Wait, isn't Battlefield 3 in alpha?

I think there is a big difference between alpha and RTM.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Brand loyalty is loving stupid. The sooner people learn this the better. The consumer gains nothing out of it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't consider BF3 being in an alpha state to be a factor, it was an issue with the drivers, not the game, that got patched by NVidia. My point was that these issues crop up from time to time with both companies.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Speaking of video cards, would you guys say they are a bad purchasing decision right now with the upcoming Southern Island and Kepler GPUs? I'm worried I won't be able to play Skyrim on release day(I could, potentially; I'm only running a Radeon HD 4650 but I have a lovely 1280x1024 monitor so it isn't totally worthless at native resolution) but I don't want to jump the gun and drop the money on a new video card and monitor to take advantage of it when those GPUs are apparently coming up in Q4 2011/Q1 2012.

I have no experience with what happens to pricing when new GPUs come out, so I'm just trying to avoid buying a card and having it immediately not being able to run new games, or wasting money when I could have bought the card much cheaper a few months later.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Speaking of video cards, would you guys say they are a bad purchasing decision right now with the upcoming Southern Island and Kepler GPUs? I'm worried I won't be able to play Skyrim on release day(I could, potentially; I'm only running a Radeon HD 4650 but I have a lovely 1280x1024 monitor so it isn't totally worthless at native resolution) but I don't want to jump the gun and drop the money on a new video card and monitor to take advantage of it when those GPUs are apparently coming up in Q4 2011/Q1 2012.

I have no experience with what happens to pricing when new GPUs come out, so I'm just trying to avoid buying a card and having it immediately not being able to run new games, or wasting money when I could have bought the card much cheaper a few months later.

Yeah, I'd wait and see if the new cards live up to the hype. The only game that you'll guaranteed need a better card than the 4650 if you don't mind low settings is ARMA 3 and that's late Q2 or Early Q3 2012.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't consider BF3 being in an alpha state to be a factor, it was an issue with the drivers, not the game, that got patched by NVidia. My point was that these issues crop up from time to time with both companies.

Driver issues are part and parcel of any game's development during the alpha stage though. But by gold, they should not cause showstopping bugs.

Now to be fair, I don't think ATI has released drivers that led to the melting of actual consumer hardware:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/warning-nvidia-19675-drivers-can-kill-your-graphics-card/7551

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Red_Fred posted:

Brand loyalty is loving stupid. The sooner people learn this the better. The consumer gains nothing out of it.

Coke is way better than pepsi (when they're not using brown slave death) but I'll buy whatever the best 250$ video card is when I make a new computer.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, I'd wait and see if the new cards live up to the hype. The only game that you'll guaranteed need a better card than the 4650 if you don't mind low settings is ARMA 3 and that's late Q2 or Early Q3 2012.

Ah, alright, cool. And yeah, I honestly don't mind if my games look like poo poo. I appreciate graphics but don't care at all if they aren't there unless it runs poorly. Hey, one more question since I'm here: If I look at a card that requires a 6-pin PCI-e connector, is that something I'd see on my motherboard anywhere, or is it just a PSU thing? My PSU claims to have the connectors and normally that'd be enough to satisfy me but I'm looking at a picture of a GTX 560 right now and just don't actually see where the two plugs would go in. Would it be next to the PCI-e slot on the motherboard or something?

edit: I see it now, thanks Bloody Hedgehog.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 31, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

gokuesque posted:

Coke is way better than pepsi (when they're not using brown slave death) but I'll buy whatever the best 250$ video card is when I make a new computer.

Now now, Coke doesn't work their labor to death, they just hire death squads to kill them when they act up. But if we're talking business practices, I'd say AMD is the better company processor-wise. Intel literally bribed boutique PC makers to not use AMD CPUs, to delay PCs using them or to under advertise them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Ah, alright, cool. And yeah, I honestly don't mind if my games look like poo poo. I appreciate graphics but don't care at all if they aren't there unless it runs poorly. Hey, one more question since I'm here: If I look at a card that requires a 6-pin PCI-e connector, is that something I'd see on my motherboard anywhere, or is it just a PSU thing? My PSU claims to have the connectors and normally that'd be enough to satisfy me but I'm looking at a picture of a GTX 560 right now and just don't actually see where the two plugs would go in. Would it be next to the PCI-e slot on the motherboard or something?

Yeah, the power connector requirement is purely a PSU thing. Typically power connectors on cards are either on the very back edge of the card, facing outward, or the rear top edge of the card, facing up.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, the power connector requirement is purely a PSU thing. Typically power connectors on cards are either on the very back edge of the card, facing outward, or the rear top edge of the card, facing up.

Nvidia tends to place them on the edge of the card furthest to the front of the case. I know this is true with my 560Ti, and should probably hold for a plain 560.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Amrosorma posted:

Did it? I have an ATI card and played Brink at launch without any bugs that could be blamed on the video drivers, and certainly nothing even approaching "crippling." About the worst thing I experienced in Brink is that on some maps the game's audio would occasionally freak out and everyone on the server would only be able to hear a few random sound effects.

You can't extrapolate my experience to all other ATI users, but I'm just curious how widespread that bug is/what that bug is.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
loving lol at that EA $5 games sale. Literally have never seen so many cheap games that I wouldnt even accept money to play. Biggest pieces of poo poo ever. It would have been nice to get Dead Space 2, but no, lets just not put anything decent except BC2 on sale.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Blazeing w Hitler posted:

loving lol at that EA $5 games sale. Literally have never seen so many cheap games that I wouldnt even accept money to play. Biggest pieces of poo poo ever. It would have been nice to get Dead Space 2, but no, lets just not put anything decent except BC2 on sale.

Mirror's Edge is worth $5 if you've never played it & have no objections to Origin.

Other than that, yeah, they just put all their crappy games nobody will buy on sale. And the Sims I guess, which people bought but is still crap. RA3 is pretty good too, but it's been on Steam sale for $5 I think, and it's getting to be an older game.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 31, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I will be honest in that for some reason I subconsciously prefer Nvidia, and I don't know why.

But I still use an ATI card atm cause the 5770 is great value.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Zedd posted:

I will be honest in that for some reason I subconsciously prefer Nvidia, and I don't know why.

Advertising, probably. There's a reason why NVidia keeps paying publishers for those "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" splashscreens: They work.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Advertising, probably. There's a reason why NVidia keeps paying publishers for those "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" splashscreens: They work.

I used to have a friend that was a major Nvidia fanboy (Im talking when we where both 14 or so) and he would upgrade every time a new card came out, maybe he left an impression.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zedd posted:

I used to have a friend that was a major Nvidia fanboy (Im talking when we where both 14 or so) and he would upgrade every time a new card came out, maybe he left an impression.

That's just dumb as poo poo, whether it's ATI or nVidia. :psyduck:

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Well, Nvidia also works closely with developers to make sure their games don't crash at release. That's what the "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" splash screen is from.

Strong Female fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 31, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That's just dumb as poo poo, whether it's ATI or nVidia. :psyduck:
Yup; I really don't want to know how much money he spend.
Oh well I haven't seen the guy in ages and for his sake I hope he toned it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Blazeing w Hitler posted:

At least you get $5 games on your store. The UK just gets ripped off. No sales and the games they sell via their own platform are cheaper to buy retail. Good job EA!

• Locked thread