Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazon Review
Mar 3, 2009

1F YOU B3LI3V3 H4RD 3NOUGH 1N 1M4G1N4RY TH1NGS, TH4T M4K3S TH3M SL1GHTLY L3SS F4K3!
This is probably absurdly too specific, but can any one recommend me a novel that is like what Pynchon did to turn-of-the-century North America and Europe in Against The Day, but set in The Middle East?

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

For something a little more literary, Warlock by Oakley Hall is a good one (Thomas Pynchon listed it as one of his influences). Also, don't let the name throw you--"Warlock" is just the name of the town the novel's set in. I ignored that book in my Amazon recommendations for so long because I figured it was just something about wizards or some poo poo until someone talked about it in the Western thread here.

This. Definitely this. I read it recently after seeing a recommendation quite a while back. Great book.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Anyone know of any good books on Ethnobotany? I have Food of the Gods but I would like to know what else is out there. Similarly, I just finished Oaxaca Journal and was looking for recommendations on travel books that looked into some similar concepts, e.g. botany, history, culture, etc. I hope this isn't too vague.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Patrovsky posted:

Anyone know of any good books on Ethnobotany? I have Food of the Gods but I would like to know what else is out there. Similarly, I just finished Oaxaca Journal and was looking for recommendations on travel books that looked into some similar concepts, e.g. botany, history, culture, etc. I hope this isn't too vague.

Michael Pollan's Botany of Desire. There's also a good PBS documentary based on the book, but not surprisingly it doesn't go into quite as much detail.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm hoping someone can help me out!

I'm looking for a book on Polish Mythology. A lot of the books I've seen have mostly been just about folklore, but I'm trying to find something that also talks about the beliefs of pre-christian Poland.

The other type of book I'm interested in is continental Germanic mythology. The one I've found that seems interesting is "Teutonic Mythology" by Jacob Grimm.

boonsha
Jul 22, 2009

Anybody want to make ten dollars and respond verbally?
Today I caught my girlfriend reading Twilight, so I feel the need to get her
something better. She doesn't read much, but she used to really like Virginia Andrews books, and she's read a whole lot of Nicholas Sparks as well. She likes vampires, but is hesitant to read Dracula because it's "too old and predictable".
So if anyone can recommend some type of modern vampire story or just general girly romance stuff that would be awesome, thanks!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

boonsha posted:

something better. She doesn't read much, but she used to really like Virginia Andrews books, and she's read a whole lot of Nicholas Sparks as well. She likes vampires, but is hesitant to read Dracula because it's "too old and predictable".
So if anyone can recommend some type of modern vampire story or just general girly romance stuff that would be awesome, thanks!

How about the books that True Blood is based on? I've actually never read them, but the show is great.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Day Man posted:

How about the books that True Blood is based on? I've actually never read them, but the show is great.
I don't know that those are "better" than Twilight but at least there's more of them to read.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Quantify! posted:

I don't know that those are "better" than Twilight but at least there's more of them to read.

The Sookie Stackhouse novels are orders of magnitude better. I would agree with Day Man that these would be a good upgrade for someone who likes vampire stories but isn't a big reader. Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver (and its sequels) might also be of interest.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Anyone have good post-nuclear/post-apocalyptic recommends? More in the vein of "Jericho" than, say, the Fallout games, but I'm looking for both.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Patrovsky posted:

I haven't read it myself, but the book "Empires of Food" has been on my to-read list for awhile. It might fit the bill.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Doc Faustus posted:

Anyone have good post-nuclear/post-apocalyptic recommends? More in the vein of "Jericho" than, say, the Fallout games, but I'm looking for both.

Alas, Babylon is the Jericho-est book I've come across. It's about a town in Florida trying to survive after America is destroyed by nuclear weapons. So yeah, very similar and also very good.

The Postman by David Brin is a pretty good bet, as well. It's about a man who takes up the role of a postman in post-apocalyptic America. The ending is a little crazy, but it's still good overall.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hey guys and gals, I'm trying to find good examples of meta-fiction, preferably novels but any sort of book is fine, as long as it deals with the meta aspects of writing.

So far I've read The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster and have House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski and Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar on my Amazon Wish List and know about stuff like Don Quixote, The Handmaid's Tale, Locos: A Comedy of Gestures and Pale Fire

I'd be looking mainly for newer works but any recommendations relating to sort of stuff like this at all would be helpful. Thanks!

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

boonsha posted:

Try the Kate Daniels books by Illona Andrews or the Kitty Norville ones by Carrie Vaughn. Both are more werewolf centred, but they don't take a very romantic view of vampires, if that's what you want to encouragw. The Hollows series by Kim Harrison might also work too.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hey guys and gals, I'm trying to find good examples of meta-fiction, preferably novels but any sort of book is fine, as long as it deals with the meta aspects of writing.

So far I've read The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster and have House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski and Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar on my Amazon Wish List and know about stuff like Don Quixote, The Handmaid's Tale, Locos: A Comedy of Gestures and Pale Fire

I'd be looking mainly for newer works but any recommendations relating to sort of stuff like this at all would be helpful. Thanks!

My recommendation for metafiction will always be the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. They're quite fun if you like that kind of thing, and it definitely helps to have some knowledge of literature.

Patrovsky fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 29, 2011

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

I really enjoyed Charles Yu's How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe, which has kind of a Vonnegut-meets-Futurama thing going on.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Radio! posted:

Alas, Babylon is the Jericho-est book I've come across. It's about a town in Florida trying to survive after America is destroyed by nuclear weapons. So yeah, very similar and also very good.

The Postman by David Brin is a pretty good bet, as well. It's about a man who takes up the role of a postman in post-apocalyptic America. The ending is a little crazy, but it's still good overall.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to second Alas, Babylon, it's basically just Jericho except set in the sixties. It was my favorite book for a long, long time, I really can't recommend it enough.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!
Been trying to get some narrative driven journalistic or non fiction works on par with David Simon's amazing books. Read and re-read Homicide and The Corner even at the busiest times of my university degree because they were so gripping and after getting all psyched up for Summer reading I drilled through Generation Kill, Matterhorn (I know it's not technically non fiction) Hella Nation, The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test and Hell's Angels in the past fortnight have yet to find something that's nearly as good, found myself dragging myself through Evan Wrights books and Tom Wolfe's style in The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test just pissed me off for some reason.

Recommendations on books focusing primarily on the 20th or 21st century would be just grand.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

If on a winter's night a traveler

boonsha
Jul 22, 2009

Anybody want to make ten dollars and respond verbally?
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Chumpion posted:

Been trying to get some narrative driven journalistic or non fiction works on par with David Simon's amazing books. Read and re-read Homicide and The Corner even at the busiest times of my university degree because they were so gripping and after getting all psyched up for Summer reading I drilled through Generation Kill, Matterhorn (I know it's not technically non fiction) Hella Nation, The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test and Hell's Angels in the past fortnight have yet to find something that's nearly as good, found myself dragging myself through Evan Wrights books and Tom Wolfe's style in The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test just pissed me off for some reason.

Recommendations on books focusing primarily on the 20th or 21st century would be just grand.

I'm a fan of RIchard Ben Cramer's books, especially What It Takes, which might be the best book on presidential politics ever written. Gay Talese and Joan Didion are good, too. And if you're willing to hunt around, Tom Wolfe edited an anthology called The New Journalism I'd recommend.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks guys.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

I have a kindle arriving tuesday, and I am now scrambling for new books to read on it.
I just tore through Johnathan Maberry's Patient Zero, but didnt especially like the villains in the second book. My all time favorite book though is Besters The stars my destination. Anything similar to that in terms of semi-realistic future sci-fi with fast pacing?

TheJazzMess
Jan 14, 2008

by angerbeet
Can anyone recommend me something along the lines of Harry Potter and The Magicians?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

TheJazzMess posted:

Can anyone recommend me something along the lines of Harry Potter and The Magicians?

Susan Cooper, The Dark is Rising.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I'm reading 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus. It's a very readable and very broad overview of what Native American societies were like pre-contact.

Does anyone know of any books like that for Asia and Africa?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Does anyone know any good books about Abrahamic angels and demons? Basically books talking about/listing them all and going into detail about them. I find that stuff really interesting and I would love to have a collection of books on the subject.

Hell, if you know of any fiction that may utilize various angel and demons (specifically the struggle between the two) that'd be cool too.

boonsha posted:

You could try The Last Vampire series of books by Christopher Pike. Those are probably my favorite vampire books. The books are a little philosophical/theological and start incorporating some science fiction in the last two or so books.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Hey guys, I recently finished reading The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter and I really enjoyed it. Looking for more in that sort of vein - not necessarily fairy tale-like but dark, with good prose.

On a completely different note, I'd also like to read more books set in ranches, farms, and other rural-like places, kind of like Annie Proulx. I picked up Close Range the other day and loved it. Can't really describe why but it's the combination of the prose and the general melancholy air of the stories.

nWoCHRISnWo
May 4, 2009
Any good non-fiction books about adventures in Las Vegas? Are there any good autobiographies from big time gamblers/poker players?

Hell, even a fictional book if it fits the wants.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 22, 2016

TropiusInABox
Jul 22, 2011
Ok, this could be a bit vague.
Basically my knowledge of literature is embarassingly and tragically limited; I grew up reading mostly the Harry Potter series as a child and then those horrible, horrible Warcraft novels by Knaak as a teenager.
I somehow managed to get through two years of A-level English literature with good grades despite this, and my crappy tastes improved slightly from reading the classics that were assigned. Of those I enjoyed Wuthering Heights, The Great Gatsby, The Collector, All Quiet on the Western Front, and To Kill A Mockingbird most of all.
Now I could do with some reccomedations of more books that are well acclaimed and seen as essentials in the same vein, though I'd generally prefer things that have aged well and are well written rather than famous for being influential or culturally important (I couldn't stand Shelley's Frankenstein for example). For that reason I'd also prefer texts from the beginning of the 20th century to the present over anything written before that period.

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

Any good non-fiction books about adventures in Las Vegas? Are there any good autobiographies from big time gamblers/poker players?

The Professor, The Banker, and the Suicide King is a pretty entertaining read about Andy Beal, the banker who played for millions upon millions in Bobby's Room in Vegas. It's not super well written but worth a look.

I've yet to read it, but I've heard great things about The Rise and Fall of Stu Unger. Great and tragic poker player and I'm sure you'd like it if youre into poker player biographies.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

TropiusInABox posted:

Ok, this could be a bit vague.
Basically my knowledge of literature is embarassingly and tragically limited; I grew up reading mostly the Harry Potter series as a child and then those horrible, horrible Warcraft novels by Knaak as a teenager.
I somehow managed to get through two years of A-level English literature with good grades despite this, and my crappy tastes improved slightly from reading the classics that were assigned. Of those I enjoyed Wuthering Heights, The Great Gatsby, The Collector, All Quiet on the Western Front, and To Kill A Mockingbird most of all.
Now I could do with some reccomedations of more books that are well acclaimed and seen as essentials in the same vein, though I'd generally prefer things that have aged well and are well written rather than famous for being influential or culturally important (I couldn't stand Shelley's Frankenstein for example). For that reason I'd also prefer texts from the beginning of the 20th century to the present over anything written before that period.
Pick and choose from this list:

http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

There's a lot of good reads in there. You could probably pick 5 titles at random and come across something you'll like. Check them out from a library and you won't spend the price of a modern novel on an old novel that you possibly won't like. Libraries have a billion copies of the classics and if you're reading a classic you should really be smelling the book too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I highly suggest I, Claudius and its sequel Claudius, the God. Its an awesome account of the end of Augustus's reign along with Tiberius, Caligula then Claudius himself. It also has one of the greatest villains as you completely understand what she does but it is completely horrifying at the same time. Then when you finish you can watch an amazing mini series

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Quantify! posted:

Pick and choose from this list:

http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

There's a lot of good reads in there. You could probably pick 5 titles at random and come across something you'll like. Check them out from a library and you won't spend the price of a modern novel on an old novel that you possibly won't like. Libraries have a billion copies of the classics and if you're reading a classic you should really be smelling the book too.

I second this suggestion, but with a caveat: the abundance of Rand and Hubbard on the reader's list is a result of stuffing the ballot box, not good taste (not that some of the board's omissions aren't questionable). For a direct suggestion, since you liked All Quiet..., you might want to check out Karl Marlantes' excellent Matterhorn, which recently came out in paperback.

TropiusInABox
Jul 22, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions!

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

TropiusInABox posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!
I'm working my way through Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian at the moment. How do his other works measure up to this in tone and prose? I'm considering putting the time into reading the entire Border trilogy, but I'm also interested in his other stuff.

(I know All the Pretty Horses was recommended on this page but I consider my own question a bit broader)

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

Bringing Down The House by Ben Mezrich (the book that 21 was very loosely based on) is an OK read about the MIT students who managed to win a shitload of money playing blackjack in Vegas. The general story is interesting enough but the writer kind of sucks IMHO - your mileage may vary.

csidle posted:

I'm working my way through Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian at the moment. How do his other works measure up to this in tone and prose? I'm considering putting the time into reading the entire Border trilogy, but I'm also interested in his other stuff.

(I know All the Pretty Horses was recommended on this page but I consider my own question a bit broader)

I've read all of his books and Blood Meridian is pretty much the pinnacle. Not to say that his other stuff isn't worth reading - Suttree in particular is excellent (prose and story-wise) and surprisingly funny for McCarthy. The Border trilogy is very good as well if you want more Western stuff from McCarthy, though it takes that in a different direction.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I started Blood Meridian just today, and holy poo poo it's amazing.

Now for my question! I finished reading Oryx and Crake (by Margaret Atwood) last night and I loved it; are the remaining two books in the MaddAddam trilogy worth reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Whoops, double post.