Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Is there any kind of ETA for the new book? I checked on his site and blog but couldn't find any kind of estimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Clinton1011 posted:

Is there any kind of ETA for the new book? I checked on his site and blog but couldn't find any kind of estimate.

He apparently just started it in March, so it'll be at least a few months.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I always felt Logen was basically Korgoth of Barbaria

And I imagined the Practicals looked like this:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Finished Last Arguments of Kings yesterday - Jesus CHRIST. This guy hates his characters. It was an awesome ride but the most depressing thing I've read since Perdido Street Station.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Dramatika posted:

Finished Last Arguments of Kings yesterday - Jesus CHRIST. This guy hates his characters. It was an awesome ride but the most depressing thing I've read since Perdido Street Station.

I hope you are going to pick up Best Served Cold next, then The Heroes. I think he only gets better with every book he releases.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I also finished Last Argument of Kings yesterday. Going to start Best Served Cold in a few days. I already have The Heroes but I definitely want to read them in order.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Beastie posted:

I also finished Last Argument of Kings yesterday. Going to start Best Served Cold in a few days. I already have The Heroes but I definitely want to read them in order.

BSC and the Heroes are totally unrelated and you can read them in any order.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

zoux posted:

BSC and the Heroes are totally unrelated and you can read them in any order.

There is a character arc in Best Served Cold that I think you would want to read before you read The Heroes. It's not required to enjoy The Heroes but the character is in both books and it just makes sense to follow their story in the correct order.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Clinton1011 posted:

There is a character arc in Best Served Cold that I think you would want to read before you read The Heroes. It's not required to enjoy The Heroes but the character is in both books and it just makes sense to follow their story in the correct order.

That's the most major thing, but there are a couple of other things too. Even though they are stand alone stories, several references are made in The Heroes to the events of Best Served Cold. While they aren't spoilers that would totally ruin the book, they definitely give away some of the ending. Monza is referred to at least once as gaining political power (or something along those lines) so you know she succeeds at least partially in her mission. Both the fact that Shivers is back in the North and has lost his eye give away most of his arc. Also, BSC contains the scene where Gorst "fails" the king, which helps to explain much of his angst in The Heroes.

The two books could definitely be enjoyed in any order, but I'd still recommend reading BSC first.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Yeah, read BSC first because the events of 'the heroes' are directly after BSC chronologically.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I picked up Best Served Cold today, and will probably start it tomorrow (it's my day off.)

I didn't realize that this thing was such a behemoth of a book. I swear to god my Kindle feels heavier after getting it.

More pages just means more bloodshed :black101:

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Honestly, they're all really fast reads. I got them all on my Kindle and was honestly shocked at how thick they were when I saw physical copies in a bookstore.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Just finished up The Heroes recently. I already need another Abercrombie fix. I'm hoping the next book takes place in Gurkhul and we get to see what's become of Ferro since Last Argument. Also maybe set us up for an epic showdown between Bayaz and the Prophet.

StabbedUp
Aug 23, 2009
I've read them all and have just finished Heroes. Good stuff. Heroes rather reminded me of the way music bands often put out an album, put out a second one refining their technique then produce a third which is different and experimental and annoys some of their fans.

It's definitely a departure from his previous style and is in the style of a strong British tradition of war weary battle stories. Here's an excerpt from a Siegfried Sassoon poem:

"The rank stench of those bodies haunts me still
And I remember things I'd best forget.
For now we've marched to a green, trenchless land
Twelve miles from battering guns: along the grass
Brown lines of tents are hives for snoring men;
Wide, radiant water sways the floating sky
Below dark, shivering trees. And living-clean
Comes back with thoughts of home and hours of sleep.
To-night I smell the battle; miles away
Gun-thunder leaps and thuds along the ridge;
The spouting shells dig pits in fields of death,
And wounded men, are moaning in the woods.
If any friend be there whom I have loved,
God speed him safe to England with a gash.
It's sundown in the camp; some youngster laughs,
Lifting his mug and drinking health to all
Who come unscathed from that unpitying waste:
(Terror and ruin lurk behind his gaze.)"

Very similar in style.

Other possible influences might be Sven Hassel, a war weary soldier who served in the German Army on the Russian front - his character Porta is identical to Tully. He sold tons of books in the sixties and seventies over here and in the 80s when Joe was a teenager the second hand book shelves were full of cheap battered copies.

Kelly's Heroes also sprang to mind - Joe said in an interview that he watched a lot of war films to research Heroes.

The Western concept should be good. I'm surprised no one has as yet mentioned Firefly, the obvious example of a Western crossover. I loved Firefly and I love Abercrombie so looking forward to seeing them marry. I did smile to see him claim in an interview that he's playing Red Dead Redemption as research.

One last thing - that piece of lit crit linked upthread. It had me fuming, it was so pretentious and ignorant. Barbarians in the North is not some allegory for Thatcher's Britain, it's an absolutely standard trope in the genre which the critic is too poorly read to realise (eg Conan, GRRM). Surprised to see it linked as an excellent review and even more surprised no one trashed it. I could go on a lot longer but it's an old post now and I don't want to necro it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

StabbedUp posted:

I did smile to see him claim in an interview that he's playing Red Dead Redemption as research.

I hope he's been playing the Undead Nightmare expansion. :zombie:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Beastie posted:

I hope he's been playing the Undead Nightmare expansion. :zombie:

No. No no no no! Zombies would be a loving terrible addition to the world. Simple muzzleloaders are the logical next step.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Bummey posted:

No. No no no no! Zombies would be a loving terrible addition to the world. Simple muzzleloaders are the logical next step.

The Shanka can be the Zombies.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Clinton1011 posted:

The Shanka can be the Zombies.

What. No.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Well, I finished Best Served Cold and I loved it. The whole idea of revenge only brings more revenge really tied into Shivers character (hating Logen) and Monza's idea of payback.

I can't wait to start The Heroes tomorrow. The only downside is this is the last Abercrombie book I'll be able to read for quite some time.

Also sheesh duders I was kidding about the zombies.

Bump: Spent the past two nights reading The Heroes all night. At first I was sure it was pretty much just another Abercrombie book.
Then on day one when the actual battle started I was blown away. I love how he would describe some mundane commander or soldier and have them killed, then switch to the perspective of their killer. The leap-frogging around has me hook, this is his best one yet.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 14, 2011

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Just finished the trilogy (got stuck towards the end of the 1st book, then eventually picked up Before they are hanged and loved it, read it and Last Argument of Kings as fast as I could) and holy crap, that ending is pretty tough. None of this happy nonsense!

Best part of the trilogy: when Quai turned out to be Tolomei. Wow, that was some pretty cinematic writing.

Kept thinking it'd make a great film trilogy, only it's probably far too gruesome. Reading the end in Agriont with the Inception soundtrack worked a charm.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I picked up the first book of the trilogy completely at random (new kindle, was just looking for stuff to read) and got hooked. I finished the trilogy a couple weeks ago but I've been holding off jumping into Best Served Cold because I felt like I needed a little break after that ending. I really enjoyed it though, and even though I haven't gotten into the stand-alone books yet I like the thought that he's parceling out the story in self-contained chunks instead of dragging it out, but we still get to revisit the world he's created.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I tore threw the last 10 chapters of The Heroes this morning. The ending was a bit more of a let don than the other books. I'm not sure if I feel that way because it seemed uneventful, or if this is the last of this series for some time.

I really did like how he would describe the battle from both sides and flip flop between killers and the killed.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beastie posted:

I tore threw the last 10 chapters of The Heroes this morning. The ending was a bit more of a let don than the other books. I'm not sure if I feel that way because it seemed uneventful, or if this is the last of this series for some time.

I really did like how he would describe the battle from both sides and flip flop between killers and the killed.

I'm just getting started on it, and my first reaction is "holy poo poo Gorst is a loving beast. He's like Gregor Clegane with a worse attitude, no wonder nobody makes fun of his voice to his face."

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I don't know if you're far enough in yet, but pretty soon you'll start to figure out that he's also loving pathetic in his own way. I still can't decide if I hate or pity the guy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah he knows what he wants but he goes about getting it in such round-about ways and in the end he just screws himself over

Also gently caress Bayaz, in the first book you admire him and then you slowly realize how he is such a cocksucker for no loving reason.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I don't know if you're far enough in yet, but pretty soon you'll start to figure out that he's also loving pathetic in his own way. I still can't decide if I hate or pity the guy.

I have a hard time hating him just because of how much he hates himself.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Beastie posted:

Also gently caress Bayaz, in the first book you admire him and then you slowly realize how he is such a cocksucker for no loving reason.

I wouldn't say it's for no reason. Since Bayaz is effectively immortal he's stopped seeing short-lived humans as anything but ants or chess pieces or whatever. Not that this excuses the absolute fucker in any way, but his attitudes are comprehensible. And his motivation is simple as poo poo: pure hatred for the Prophet.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009
I saw Bayaz as the perfect summation of Abercrombie's theme: the self always wins out over the collective. Hence why Logen goes back to being the Bloody Nine, Shivers can't be a good man, Monza gets her revenge, Jezal becomes a lazy poo poo and Bayaz ruins everyone's lives because he really hates a guy.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

anathenema posted:

I saw Bayaz as the perfect summation of Abercrombie's theme: the self always wins out over the collective. Hence why Logen goes back to being the Bloody Nine, Shivers can't be a good man, Monza gets her revenge, Jezal becomes a lazy poo poo and Bayaz ruins everyone's lives because he really hates a guy.

I always thought the defining character arc of his work was that people change, but more often than not they change back.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

And his motivation is simple as poo poo: pure hatred for the Prophet.
His motivation isn't even that noble - the Prophet turned against him and raised his army of cannibal ninja wizards because Bayaz was such a megalomaniac. Bayaz killed Juvens, betrayed and killed Kanedidas and his daughter, has no problem with violating the second law when it suits his purpose, openly mocks the first law, and claims that in the final analysis the only law is what you can get away with. The last thousand years of human history has been him pushing chess pieces against the Prophet, and there is no limit as to what he's willing to do to defeat his enemies and hold on to his powers (up to and including setting off the magical equivalent of nuclear warheads inside crowded cities).

The world that Bayaz runs is pretty much indistinguishable from a world run by a standard Evil Dark Lord Necromancer, he just keeps a much lower profile and works through cut-outs (subborned leaders, his bank, his apprentices, etc.)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I just finished it, and fact: Gorst owns. :colbert:

e: especially his rant at the end. "Battles? Bitch, I love battles."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I haven't read Heroes in a while, did Gorst send that letter to his king or not? The one where he is a rear end in a top hat in it. And to add a little more depth, I thought it was pretty obvious that Logen was the descendant of the third brother the one who could commune with spirits and that Bez was a son of the 4th brother.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 1, 2011

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hollis posted:

I haven't read Heroes in a while, did Gorst send that letter to his king or not? The one where he is a rear end in a top hat in it. And to add a little more depth, I thought it was pretty obvious that Logen was the descendant of the third brother the one who could commune with spirits and that Bez was a son of the 4th brother.

Nah, he just writes it and tearsGorsts it up every night. :black101:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Finally finished the First Law trilogy today. The books took a while to build up steam, but I really like the direction everything ended up going in, and I think the trilogy had a really solid, satisfying ending.

Any advice on the next Abercrombie book I should go to from here?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

AcidCat posted:

Finally finished the First Law trilogy today. The books took a while to build up steam, but I really like the direction everything ended up going in, and I think the trilogy had a really solid, satisfying ending.

Any advice on the next Abercrombie book I should go to from here?

Best Served Cold is next, both in terms of publication order and chronology.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Daveski posted:

Best Served Cold is next, both in terms of publication order and chronology.

And from here out his books are amazing. I didn't realy care for the trilogy but the stand alone books are so good.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

The Supreme Court posted:

Kept thinking it'd make a great film trilogy, only it's probably far too gruesome. Reading the end in Agriont with the Inception soundtrack worked a charm.

HAH! I did the exact same thing, lol. Glad I'm not the only one. I also used the soundtracks from Crimson Tide and Gladiator. Hans Zimmer is too perfect :rock:

After watching Game of Thrones, I would prefer an HBO series as opposed to movies. Better yet, an awesome hard R animated mini series... but they never do those anymore.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

That's why someone a few years ago made this pilot for [adult swim]. Unfortunately it was too expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYJ8G_ou6Dc

I mentioned earlier that Logen is basically Korgoth.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Demtor posted:

After watching Game of Thrones, I would prefer an HBO series as opposed to movies. Better yet, an awesome hard R animated mini series... but they never do those anymore.

What? No. No. HBO would butcher this series just like they did with A Song of Ice and Fire. Books should not be made into movies. Muppet Christmas Carol is the only exception to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Butcher?! Whoa, that's an extreme opinion but I respect that. Most people I know enjoyed it. To each his own I guess. They certainly did get away with a lot of, "well we didn't have the budget for [fill in with whatever when necessary]"