Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That was on Nitro wasn't it? From what I remember. Looking at all the shoots over the years. I've come to the conclusion that it wasn't WCW that was crazy but this whole business is loving crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

RBX posted:

That was on Nitro wasn't it? From what I remember. Looking at all the shoots over the years. I've come to the conclusion that it wasn't WCW that was crazy but this whole business is loving crazy

Not Nitro, Bash at the Beach 2000.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RBX posted:

WCW did have some one pull out a knife and place it on their opponents throat because he wanted to "cut his beard". Ignoring the fact the opponent did not have a beard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, he works fast!

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

RBX posted:

http://youtu.be/oeKnBR8l49w

I was 10 when I saw this.

This was the CM Punk promo of 2000's WCW.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Here's the thing about that promo: Hulk and Russo agreed to it. It was a total sham.

But Russo I guess dug a little too deep, and Hulk got offended, so he left the building with the belt, left WCW for good, and sued Russo.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
He sued allegedly because Russo called him bald.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

ChampRamp posted:

What's the general opinion of that promo here?

If it's on TV, it's a work.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Psychlone posted:

If it's on TV, it's a work.

Really? I meant whether it was a good idea creatively and buiness-wise to do.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ChampRamp posted:

Really? I meant whether it was a good idea creatively and buiness-wise to do.
The crux of Russo's booking policy has always been "everything else on the show is fake, EXCEPT THIS, THIS IS REAL", until the next segment when it goes back to being a work.

See also: Buff Bagwell once "threw" a wrestling match, then got on the microphone and said "hey Russo, did I do a good JOB for you?"

When you watch that promo, or Bagwell fake a fake fight, does it make you want to see what's next?

Contrast that to like, four weeks of McMahon getting the best of Austin, but Austin has his chance to get even at the PPV, oh man I've gotta see that!

But the worked shoot doesn't advance a story line, it simply entertains the infinitely small segment of the viewing audience who is smart enough to know what a shoot is but mark enough to believe it's actually a shoot.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

bobkatt013 posted:

WCW did have some one pull out a knife and place it on their opponents throat because he wanted to "cut his beard". Ignoring the fact the opponent did not have a beard.

That was Tank Abbott vs The Dog. Tank asked if he could use a weapon and got the okay. That was not what the bookers had in mind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The worst was when Goldberg walked out in the middle of a match, the commentators explained that this wasn't in their script and that now the two wrestlers left in the ring (Nash and Steiner I think) would have to improvise a finish on the fly to the scripted fake fighting going on in the ring.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The worst was when Goldberg walked out in the middle of a match, the commentators explained that this wasn't in their script and that now the two wrestlers left in the ring (Nash and Steiner I think) would have to improvise a finish on the fly to the scripted fake fighting going on in the ring.

Oh man, that's a memory. Was it Russo who came out on commentary and challenged Goldberg to fight Tank Abbott in a shoot?

The thing is I don't understand how some people can hate on dumb (business exposing) poo poo like that, then say stuff like Chikara slo-mo is fine.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Goldberg "sandbagged" a Jackknife Powerbomb, which the commentators chastised him for. He leaves the ring and screams gently caress YOU at Russo, who is on the stage.

Nash beats Stener with the Jackknife and the commentators laud Steiner for being a team player and going up for the powerbomb. :downsbravo:

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

ChampRamp posted:

Oh man, that's a memory. Was it Russo who came out on commentary and challenged Goldberg to fight Tank Abbott in a shoot?

The thing is I don't understand how some people can hate on dumb (business exposing) poo poo like that, then say stuff like Chikara slo-mo is fine.

It's probably the spirit its done in that makes the difference.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
You're really asking what the difference is between Vince Russo saying "Everything is fake except what is happening right now (but this is also fake)" and a comedy match catered to wrestling nerds

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

That was Tank Abbott vs The Dog. Tank asked if he could use a weapon and got the okay. That was not what the bookers had in mind.

I know its just one of those great WCW moments

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I know its just one of those great WCW moments

I thought we were posting bros and I got your back jack.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

You're really asking what the difference is between Vince Russo saying "Everything is fake except what is happening right now (but this is also fake)" and a comedy match catered to wrestling nerds

Who the gently caress do you think Vince Russo is catering to? It might be dumb, but he (or WCW in general often) did poo poo for smarks.

Both are catered to wrestling nerds and both are business exposing.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

There is also a huge difference when the wrestling nerds comprise 90% of your audience like CHIKARA vs 5% like WCW.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Moose Bigelow posted:

There is also a huge difference when the wrestling nerds comprise 90% of your audience like CHIKARA vs 5% like WCW.

Even if the audience is 100% wrestling nerds, why do business exposing stuff, then act like everything else is real?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

Also CHIKARA is fun while WCW tried to do shoot you got Forgot your Scissors Sid? Also all the other stupid poo poo mentioned on this page.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

ChampRamp posted:

Even if the audience is 100% wrestling nerds, why do business exposing stuff, then act like everything else is real?

CHIKARA slow-mo is as "business exposing" as Santino doing the Cobra or any other multitude of wrestling comedy. Comedy isn't "business exposing" because the loving "business" is entertaining people. Having constant lovely "shoot" rants talking about each other's personal backstage problems on-screen and expecting anyone outside of like 5% of the audience to give a gently caress isn't even "exposing the business", it's just really loving dumb. And what business is there to expose? This isn't the '80s, kayfabe has been dead for well over a decade.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So is the Death of WCW Book any good, the one by Wrestlecrap's R.D. Reynolds?

http://www.amazon.com/Death-WCW-WrestleCrap-Figure-Present/dp/1550226614/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312078472&sr=8-1

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Astro7x posted:

So is the Death of WCW Book any good, the one by Wrestlecrap's R.D. Reynolds?

http://www.amazon.com/Death-WCW-WrestleCrap-Figure-Present/dp/1550226614/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312078472&sr=8-1

It's really good, and gives a good overall view of what went wrong. The details aren't 100% accurate, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Matlock posted:

It's really good, and gives a good overall view of what went wrong. The details aren't 100% accurate, though.

Also it is Bryan Alvarez that makes it good not RD Reynolds

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think all RD did was type it, Alvarez did most of the heavy lifting.

I haven't read it in awhile, but I have read it a bunch of times. A great book that you will speed through.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

Goldberg "sandbagged" a Jackknife Powerbomb, which the commentators chastised him for. He leaves the ring and screams gently caress YOU at Russo, who is on the stage.

Nash beats Stener with the Jackknife and the commentators laud Steiner for being a team player and going up for the powerbomb. :downsbravo:

Does the actual incident exist on youtube? I can't find it.

I found the aftermath: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS8ksd5jFNI

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMNDhmotEE&t=150s

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks for tracking that down Matlock.

That's loving bizarre. "What are they gonna do now, improvise?" Was all of that nonsense a work? I must have either blocked the Russo Era of WCW out of my mind or just didn't keep watching at this point.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
99.9% of all shoots are fake

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngnyMoODND0

The leather jacket on a pole match where Tank pulls a knife on him at the end. This is priceless.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I'm an absolute poo poo poster with no authority but this should be the first entry in PSP Goldmine.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

I'm an absolute poo poo poster with no authority but this should be the first entry in PSP Goldmine.

Too late.

Tarasenko Tank
Apr 17, 2011
Speaking of Death of the WCW, there was an incident they mentioned where Goldberg speared a lawyer, and the lawyer got right back up. Did that actually happen, and if so, is there a clip of it?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Too late.

I was motioning that PSP have it's own goldmine but I will settle for this being #2.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Captain Charisma posted:

I think all RD did was type it, Alvarez did most of the heavy lifting.

I haven't read it in awhile, but I have read it a bunch of times. A great book that you will speed through.
I read it on a flight to and from Hawaii-LAX, it's that easy to digest. 250 pages, nothing complex, just "here's why June 1999 was awful, up next, July 1999" - very easy to digest. And it's either free to download or extremely easy to download, infact I literally got the book from PSP within the last few weeks.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I read it on a flight to and from Hawaii-LAX, it's that easy to digest. 250 pages, nothing complex, just "here's why June 1999 was awful, up next, July 1999" - very easy to digest. And it's either free to download or extremely easy to download, infact I literally got the book from PSP within the last few weeks.

Yeah, it's a great book for a casual read because it's laid out very neatly in chronological order. Nothing really complex and, as I've said before, the best book on the subject. It's not revisionist like WWE's take saying it was all Turner's money nor is it obnoxiously smarky blaming everything on Hogan and calling it a day.

I kind of want to read it again because not only does it give credit for WCW's successes but has a field day humourously knocking their failures.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Yeah, it's a great book for a casual read because it's laid out very neatly in chronological order. Nothing really complex and, as I've said before, the best book on the subject. It's not revisionist like WWE's take saying it was all Turner's money nor is it obnoxiously smarky blaming everything on Hogan and calling it a day.

I kind of want to read it again because not only does it give credit for WCW's successes but has a field day humourously knocking their failures.

Having re-read this book in the wake of the nWo roundtable I think it unfairly blames Nash for a great deal. The finger poke actually had a story to it but Goldberg wound up out for 9 months when he smashed the limo window with his arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

Having re-read this book in the wake of the nWo roundtable I think it unfairly blames Nash for a great deal. The finger poke actually had a story to it but Goldberg wound up out for 9 months when he smashed the limo window with his arm.

Fingerpoke was beginning of 1999 The hilarious limo incident was the end of 1999. After he was tazared he feuded with Scott Hall and then beat Kevin Nash then left due to a movie. He was not in the title race again until Sting made an open challange