Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.
ThePeacock, have you tried Planned Parenthood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010

Skywriter posted:

ThePeacock, have you tried Planned Parenthood?

The one in my city's phone number isn't in service, and nor is the website...I'll drive by next time I'm in that area, but I'm doubting it exists anymore. :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

The Peacock posted:

The one in my city's phone number isn't in service, and nor is the website...I'll drive by next time I'm in that area, but I'm doubting it exists anymore. :(

Usually there are multiple PP locations within bigger cities. You might have to drive further, but it's worth calling them and seeing what they have to say. I'm assuming you put your zip into PP's locater thing on their official site?

VV aw I was afraid of something like that. I don't know much about free clinic services outside of the US. :(

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 27, 2011

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010
I live in Canada, and the next closest one for me would be in Toronto...I live about 300 km away at least.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?

The Peacock posted:

I live in Canada, and the next closest one for me would be in Toronto...I live about 300 km away at least.

300K in which direction? If you live near Windsor, I can tell you which OB/GYN to ask for a referall to.

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010

Fanky Malloons posted:

300K in which direction? If you live near Windsor, I can tell you which OB/GYN to ask for a referall to.

I'm actually in Windsor, please let me know which one! :)

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

The Peacock posted:

I'm actually in Windsor, please let me know which one! :)

OMGGGG. That explains why the PP probably doesn't exist anymore - disappearing into thin air is how businesses roll here.

Anyway, Dr. Bourke at South Walkerville Medical Centre did mine. Did you say that you don't have insurance? Because I'm pretty sure OHIP won't cover it, meaning you'll have to pay the 400-ish bucks for the IUD itself (if you go with the Mirena, I don't know how much the Paragard costs).

I don't have PMs, but if you want to ask me anything about it I can give you my AIM or email or whatever :)

The Peacock
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, I'll definitely take your email :)

My BF is probably going to be getting insurance soon through his new job, so I'll be able to get coverage that way. Either way, I'll pay or not.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

The Peacock posted:

Yeah, I'll definitely take your email :)

My BF is probably going to be getting insurance soon through his new job, so I'll be able to get coverage that way. Either way, I'll pay or not.

Cool, my email is edited out :D - ask away!

Fanky Malloons fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 28, 2011

Fat Lazy Unicorn
Sep 19, 2007

Fanky Malloons posted:

Did you say that you don't have insurance? Because I'm pretty sure OHIP won't cover it, meaning you'll have to pay the 400-ish bucks for the IUD itself (if you go with the Mirena, I don't know how much the Paragard costs).

I have a copper IUD, but it's a Flexi-T (http://www.trimedic-inc.com/about_flexi-t_iud.html). I paid out of pocket for mine and it was $75. I'm in Nova Scotia so I can't see that making much of a difference in the cost!

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
I'm in Canada and I paid 60.00 for my Paraguard at the sexual health clinic. It was more for the Mirena (Somewhere around 200 I think), but I was trying to get away from hormones so it worked out for me just fine. I'm guessing that OHIP is willing to pay more for the Paraguard than the Mirena...?

SilverSliver fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 10, 2013

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
I'm in New Brunswick and I paid $120 for my Nova-T copper IUD when I picked it up from the pharmacy. (Insertion at my family doctor was covered, it was just the IUD itself I had to pay for) I didn't ask about the hormonal IUD, so I don't know the price there.

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 28, 2011

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

SilverSliver posted:

I'm guessing that OHIP is willing to pay more for the Paraguard than the Mirena...?

Maybe, though I'm not sure why. I don't know how much OHIP would cover because I have insurance through school that covers 80% anyway, so I only ended up paying around $75 for my Mirena.

twee_fangs
Mar 25, 2005

Normalcy is coursing through my veins.
Reporting in on getting my Paragard yesterday afternoon. The insertion went really well, and I'm happy so far with my decision (although I've had it for less than 24 hours).

I'm 28, was on hormonal bc for 10 years, no pregnancies. I was on my period when it was inserted. The worst cramps came when she was measuring my uterus, but I think I only moaned once. I had taken 800 mg of ibuprofen about an hour before insertion, and I haven't taken anything since then. I had some mild cramping last night, which improved after I took a long walk. This morning I've had an occasional very mild cramp. I had some minor bleeding insertion, and seem to have returned to normal, light, birth-control-like bleeding. I hope everything continues to go so well. :)

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Moms Stuffing posted:

Forgive me if this has been covered, but this is a very huge thread. Do any of you have experience with Gianvi? I just started it, not for pregnancy prevention, but because I'm missing most of my pituitary gland and don't produce estrogen or ovulate, and I feel like garbage. I've only been on it for 2.5 weeks, but I already got my period, feel really fatigued all the time, have diarrhea and stomach cramping, mild nausea, and have been a loving crabby rear end bitch. This sucks. :smith:

I know this is a few days late, but my ex-gf's doctor switched her from Yaz to Gianvi for price reasons, without asking her. Basically, it made her feel like poo poo, have cramps, and it made her pretty much hate me. She switched the next month back to Yaz, and it was all good.

I've literally not read a single good review about Gianvi on the internet - they're all absolutely scathing and terrible, and, at least in my experience, they're absolutely right.

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 29, 2011

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
I've been doing a terrible job of taking my birth control pills on time, and I've gone through the patch and the NuvaRing. Implanon and the copper IUD both make me feel squeamish, but I'm thinking that my best birth control method involves one or the other.

The only reason I've been hanging onto hormonal birth control is because it gets rid of acne for me. However, I know I could just suck it up and get a prescription for something actually specifically intended for acne.

I'm more interested in the copper IUD (I can't do the hormonal one approved in the US due to my breast cancer family risk) than Implanon, but I'm single and never had any children and worried about it rejecting and all of that.

Is there a good site about IUDs and overcoming my fears of having one stuffed into my cervix?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

samizdat posted:

(I can't do the hormonal one approved in the US due to my breast cancer family risk)

This doesn't make sense. The only reason a Mirena is contraindicated with breast cancer is because of the hormones, which you are currently getting at MUCH higher doses from the pill. If you can have the pill there should not be anything preventing you from having the Mirena. Am I missing something here?

If you want IUD info check out the IUD_divas group on livejournal.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009
Ceridwen is right, unless you currently have breast cancer or have had it, Mirena is still an option for you. The same holds true for every single other hormonal birth control too.

pizza cat
Jul 30, 2011
I have a family history of breast cancer and I'm happily on Implanon, for what it's worth. I think you should definitely consider it still.

Insertion of the implant was quick, and relatively painless, and it's reduced my period to (cramp-free) light spotting that happens maybe every other month. I love it to bits :)

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Implanon has given me whackadoo bleeding but I still love it to bits because I don't have to worry about anything for three years.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Trip report: Got my paragard removed yesterday and getting the speculum "opened" was more painful. The doctor told me I'd feel a cramp when she pulled it out but I didn't even feel that. I was all over in 1 minute and I went right back to work and was 100% fine. I'm still stunned at how easy/painless it was considering how horrific it was to get inserted.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
My girlfriend started taking the Alesse contraceptive pill 8 days ago and has experienced crippling abdominal pain twice since taking it. She describes the pain as a "very bad stomach cramp/ache that doesn't go away for hours, only intensifies and gradually subdues". She took her first pill the night of getting the prescription at 8:55 PM. Roughly 24 hours later, as we were eating Thai food, she came down with a debilitating illness directly after taking the pill. She did not show signs of food poisoning, but more along the lines of severe bloating (at least that's what I think). Tonight, 7 days later, she has experienced the same symptoms as she did that night.

I feel like her doctor, a Planned Parenthood physician, didn't properly express what side effects she could expect, and I believe that she is most likely inept in her line of work, or simply doesn't care. My girlfriend told the doctor that she smokes and drinks, yet the physician didn't seem too concerned about it even though those vices have crazy chances of inducing stroke/heart attack whilst on the pill. I've looked online, as well as read her prescription fine text several times, and have not noticed anything near as to what stomach symptoms she is feeling. I'm trying to convince her to stop taking the pill, but it seems like she wishes to continue due to me not liking condoms, which makes me feel insanely guilty. Is this a common side effect? Could it be damaging her? I am need of help here my dear Goons.

Soggy Muffin fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 31, 2011

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Edit: Double post

Soggy Muffin fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 31, 2011

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Hormonal birth control has quite a few more potential side effects than what's listed on their packet info and what most doctors will mention (they tend to only discuss those side effects that are also listed by manufacturers), though I've always thought abdominal pain was on the list.

Personally, I would get the hell off an estrogen-containing pill just for the smoking factor alone. There are still several effective birth control methods that don't include estrogen.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
Here's an interesting article I found about the history of IUDs. http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/07/ff_iud/

And as for what I decided to do, I will wait until my next period (November) to have the Mirena inserted. This way I will have more time to plan things out, especially if I'll need a day or two to rest.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I have a question: Does ovulation cause anyone pain? I'm asking because I think i'm probably ovulating for the first time in my life normally (the timing is right and the pain location is too).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tigntink posted:

I have a question: Does ovulation cause anyone pain? I'm asking because I think i'm probably ovulating for the first time in my life normally (the timing is right and the pain location is too).

I personally don't, but apparently it's common enough to have a name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittelschmerz

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

That article says it may cause "lower abdominal or pelvic pain" but sometimes I feel what I think is Mittelschmerz in my lower back, above a hipbone. Let's hope it's that and not some weird, intermittent kidney thing! :j:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Before I started the pill, I got horrible "middle pain", just as bad as cramps.

And I would get it in my back and hips, too, as well as where one would expect. Basically, my pre-pill life was hell.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Ceridwen posted:

This doesn't make sense. The only reason a Mirena is contraindicated with breast cancer is because of the hormones, which you are currently getting at MUCH higher doses from the pill. If you can have the pill there should not be anything preventing you from having the Mirena. Am I missing something here?

If you want IUD info check out the IUD_divas group on livejournal.

Okay, cool. I just assumed that because I've always seen the Mirena with warnings re: breast cancer. It's good to know that it's okay for people with first-degree breast cancer in their family.

I sort of forgot Livejournal existed but that group looks pretty active, thank you!

BigGayLogan posted:

Here's an interesting article I found about the history of IUDs. http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/07/ff_iud/

Reading that in WIRED the other day was what actually inspired me to reconsider the IUD! That first IUD just looks scary as hell. No wonder it put people off.

samizdat fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 1, 2011

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Good news, everyone (in the US.. with insurance..)

Birth Control Free for All: New Insurance Rules Affect Millions of Women

quote:

Beginning Aug. 1, 2012, all private insurance plans will be required to cover women's preventive services without a co-pay or deductible. The move is intended to help women have the chance to stop health problems before they start.

Beginning one year from today will be co-pay or deductible-free well-woman visits, screening for gestational diabetes, breast-feeding support, domestic violence screening and all FDA approved birth control methods -- including emergency contraception such as the morning-after pill.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
:aaa:
No way no way. So next year my yearly gyno visit and my birth control will..be..free?

I'll believe it when I see it, but wow, it's refreshing to see GOOD news in this area.

e:
"Many women who get pregnant are blasted out of their minds when they have sex, and they're not going to use birth control anyway," Fox News' Bill O'Reilly

fuckyoufuckyufuckyou :mad:

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Also Plan B for free! I know plenty of insurance companies wont even cover it right now.

Also Bill O'Reiley is a dickbag and I wish he wouldn't get any media attention.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
This is what the Right needs to think about when they say they want to stop abortions. I know plenty of people who had to choose between eating for the month or buying their pill and I'm pretty sure they all chose eating.

Price was 100% the reason I switched from my pill to Implanon, though I'm getting ready for a fight with the insurance company over that.

I can't wait for this to go into effect, every day I read about states closing PlannedParenthoods and heartbeat laws and law suits about NY equality, this is a tiny glimmer of hope in the cloud of poo poo that we get every day.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream
Well shoot. I just got my paragard put in, but I'd much rather have stayed on Nuvaring if it was free.
But who knows if I'll be able to hold onto my job and insurance. Guess it wasn't too bad of a choice.

HalfPricePimpSuit
May 26, 2008
"if you can afford a $5 frappucino at Starbucks, you can pay your $5 co-pay." :byodame: -Dana Perino,Fox News

Ha! I wish my gyno co-pay was $5, it's $30+birth control costs! Even though I'm insured, I go to a family planning clinic because I can get my nuva ring/check ups/pap smears/STD tests for free. I'm glad that starting next year, I'll be able to use my insurance and not have to spend 3 hours at the family planning clinic. I think I'll be getting an IUD next year.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

HalfPricePimpSuit posted:

"if you can afford a $5 frappucino at Starbucks, you can pay your $5 co-pay." :byodame: -Dana Perino,Fox News

Ha! I wish my gyno co-pay was $5, it's $30+birth control costs! Even though I'm insured, I go to a family planning clinic because I can get my nuva ring/check ups/pap smears/STD tests for free. I'm glad that starting next year, I'll be able to use my insurance and not have to spend 3 hours at the family planning clinic. I think I'll be getting an IUD next year.

Yah except my paragard with $160 a month insurance employer provided was $360. When I was on nuvaring it was $35 a month. Its a lot for a just out of college adult barely affording the premium. I'm so glad they are being required to cover it now. When I was growing up my dad's insurance would cover his little blue pill but not my medically necessary birth control.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
What loving insurance has a $5 co-pay 'cause poo poo, sign me the gently caress up! Mine's like $60 + the cost of medications. Even with insurance, Nuvaring cost me ~$80 a month.

Abbeh posted:

Good news, everyone (in the US.. with insurance..)

Birth Control Free for All: New Insurance Rules Affect Millions of Women

This is such loving amazing news though, especially after how viciously women's reproductive and sexual rights have been attacked this year.

Kerfuffle posted:

"Many women who get pregnant are blasted out of their minds when they have sex, and they're not going to use birth control anyway," Fox News' Bill O'Reilly

fuckyoufuckyufuckyou :mad:

Hey Mr. O'Reilly in this country we call that "rape", hth.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
My yearly pap smears+the works checks are $25 copay, 1 Nuvaring is $10 with coupon. But this is on my parent's insurance, which I'll no longer have in a few years. At least I can use the coupons basically forever.

Also I've never heard of $5 copay, for anything.

I think nuvaring might be the most expensive birth control out there though. :( IUDs seem to be the best bang for your buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Kerfuffle posted:

My yearly pap smears+the works checks are $25 copay, 1 Nuvaring is $10 with coupon. But this is on my parent's insurance, which I'll no longer have in a few years. At least I can use the coupons basically forever.

Also I've never heard of $5 copay, for anything.

I think nuvaring might be the most expensive birth control out there though. :( IUDs seem to be the best bang for your buck.

Yeah nuvaring is expensive as poo poo and I didn't like it because it gave me yeast infections like crazy, ugh. I'm gonna try and get Mirena in the next month or so.

Your insurance lets you get yearly Pap smears? What the hell man, mine only does them every three years if you're under 40 unless there is a problem. And apparently missing your period for 5 months, constant vomiting, and losing 30 lbs is not a problem :downs: In fact they told me as long as you have three a year, there is no reason to have it checked out. "cause you know, going to the lady doctor isn't traumatic enough without having to basically beg to be seen beforehand.

Kaiser should be loving illegal.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 2, 2011

• Locked thread