Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

On top of calibrating your monitor, you have to profile your printer. If you scan with silverfast, you can have it print out a calibration page, scan it, and it generates an ICC profile for your printer. I haven't done it since I only have SF for a slide scanner, anyone tried it?

Scanner-based profiling is super lovely and not even remotely accurate. If you have a printer that's otherwise completely unusable it might be an improvement, but you're way better off just paying for a proper profile (assuming you're not using an Epson, in which case you should just use Epson's profiles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

$40 for one time use is a lot compared to $160 for a lifetime. All of my research points to calibrating at least once a month if I am remotely serious about having a properly calibrated display. It seems I should just bite the bullet and purchase another tool for my arsenal. Am I mistaken? And is buying a $160 spectrophotometer like bringing a knife to a gun fight?

GWBBQ posted:

On top of calibrating your monitor, you have to profile your printer. If you scan with silverfast, you can have it print out a calibration page, scan it, and it generates an ICC profile for your printer. I haven't done it since I only have SF for a slide scanner, anyone tried it?

If I am not printing myself, my printer should be able to supply me with a profile or something, yes? I am going to check the place out in person today and will be asking them about it but I imagine if my monitor is calibrated appropriately then their super-dee-duper printers will have the correct profiles.

mdtyson fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 28, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

On top of calibrating your monitor, you have to profile your printer.

I have a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 and I never have a problem when I use Canon paper. I tried using some Illford and downloaded their ICC profiles off their site, but I keep running into WYSIWYG problems. I'm guessing I need to make my own profile for that paper? I don't print often and Canon paper is good and priced decently so I never bothered to fix the problem. Then again I got a big pack of 13x19 Illfort that I don't want to go to waste.

mdtyson posted:

$40 for one time use is a lot compared to $160 for a lifetime. All of my research points to calibrating at least once a month if I am remotely serious about having a properly calibrated display. It seems I should just bite the bullet and purchase another tool for my arsenal. Am I mistaken? And is buying a $160 spectrophotometer like bringing a knife to a gun fight?

You're better off buying one and having it around. I think it'd only make sense to rent if you're a business and can charge someone else for it and write it off. You're going to at least get a couple years out of it, probably more.

quote:

If I am not printing myself, my printer should be able to supply me with a profile or something, yes? I am going to check the place out in person today and will be asking them about it but I imagine if my monitor is calibrated appropriately then their super-dee-duper printers will have the correct profiles.

If you're sending out photos edited on a calibrated monitor out to a good lab, you shouldn't need to do anything more. That's their job. You could get the ICC profiles from the lab and Soft Proof your images, but from everything I heard, Soft Proofing doesn't work and is a waste of time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

You're better off buying one and having it around. I think it'd only make sense to rent if you're a business and can charge someone else for it and write it off. You're going to at least get a couple years out of it, probably more.
Calibrators is the kidn of stuff you buy with your photography friends. Before I moved we shared one between 3 people.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Calibrators is the kidn of stuff you buy with your photography friends. Before I moved we shared one between 3 people.

Great idea. Seems I'm on the right path then - to buy a calibrator. Should I just go with the most popular of my searches and buy it on Amazon or does someone have great first hand knowledge of why I should choose one over another?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I've a quick question, I was told about a good deal on a Tamron 17-50 2.8, with the caveat that it was a nikon, no worries I thought, I'll just get an adaptor so I can use it on my Canon 600D no problems. Upon the arrival of both items, I notice that it just reads the aperture as 0. This is the adaptor that I bought, is it a problem with the cheap adaptor I bought or will I have to adjust the aperture in another manner?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Cassa posted:

I've a quick question, I was told about a good deal on a Tamron 17-50 2.8, with the caveat that it was a nikon, no worries I thought, I'll just get an adaptor so I can use it on my Canon 600D no problems. Upon the arrival of both items, I notice that it just reads the aperture as 0. This is the adaptor that I bought, is it a problem with the cheap adaptor I bought or will I have to adjust the aperture in another manner?

That was a very bad idea, you should sell it and buy a Canon version. When you put a lens not made for your camera on, you lose all electronic control. No autofocus and no changing the aperture. You might as well be using a broken lens.

Adaptors exist so you can mount old lenses that never had any AF or any electronic control to begin with. These old lenses should have the aperture control on the lens itself.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 29, 2011

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
drat my failed attempts at thriftyness! Thanks man. I'm sure someone out there will want it.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Does anyone have suggestions for a good place to print digital photos? My local Costco started putting a blue tint on everything.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

hedge posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for a good place to print digital photos? My local Costco started putting a blue tint on everything.

I used SnapFish last time I printed graduation photos, and they turned out pretty good.

(Good as in paper/color quality, not good as in the actual content. :negative:)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How do you shoot moving objects at night with a flash?
I was shooting some drifting, and the flash froze the wheels and car in place when it fired.
As you can imagine this sucks mega balls.
What are you supposed to do to keep motion?

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt
I am pretty sure what you're asking is impossible.

Get a tripod and just shoot the light trails.

e: or boost ISO way up and don't use a flash

e2: or get a flash that you can fire without it being synched to the shutter and flash it like three times while you're exposing, then you get three ghost cars! That could be cool.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

A5H posted:

How do you shoot moving objects at night with a flash?
I was shooting some drifting, and the flash froze the wheels and car in place when it fired.
As you can imagine this sucks mega balls.
What are you supposed to do to keep motion?

Shoot at a slower shutter speed and use 2nd curtain sync. The flash will still freeze the car but you'll also get a light trail from the motion.

Why 2nd curtain? Because the mode fires the flash at the end of the exposure rather than the default of at the beginning. If you use first curtain you'll get a unnatural light trail that goes in front of the car, with 2nd it's behind the car.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Well that sucks. Yeah I was using it on the second curtain. Just sucks.
It was too dark to not use flash really.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can you post an example and the settings you used? I'm very interested in this. From what I understand, shooting at like < 1/100 on second curtain should give you the effect you want.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I shot at like 1/20th with an aperture of about 2.5 and a 1/4 power 580.
Everything looks crappy crap.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can you not strobe a 580?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Not sure, it wasn't mine so I was glad I worked out how to get second shutter firing tbh.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

You can on a 580 but not a 430.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

hedge posted:

Are you using a calibrated monitor along with Costco's color profiles? I'd be surprised if they still had a blue tint and probably would contact someone there to let them know if you're still seeing issues.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

evil_bunnY posted:

Would strobing result in a blurred car though?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Anyone know an easy way to modify the EXIF time for a group of photos by an offset of a number of minutes? I shot a wedding yesterday and forgot to sync the times between the two cameras. Lightroom was able to change the hour, but not by a smaller amount that I've found. They're about 11 minutes off which is pretty annoying.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Anyone know an easy way to modify the EXIF time for a group of photos by an offset of a number of minutes? I shot a wedding yesterday and forgot to sync the times between the two cameras. Lightroom was able to change the hour, but not by a smaller amount that I've found. They're about 11 minutes off which is pretty annoying.

LR can do it, but it's not immediately obvious:

http://photoshopservices.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/changing-the-time-stamp/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any experience selling photos on Etsy? I think I'm going to give it a try, and I have a good idea what kind of photos people would be interested in (decorative, macro, semi-abstract). I'm just wondering if it's actually much of a marketplace.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

spog posted:

LR can do it, but it's not immediately obvious:

http://photoshopservices.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/changing-the-time-stamp/

Awesome. Thank you!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Awesome. Thank you!

Don't thank me, thank the LR team!

I am amazed at how LR manages to combine user-friendliness with genuine power, it is hard to believe that it was made by Adobe.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Selling poo poo on Etsy is an agonizing process. Why can't I list multiple similar items?!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FLX posted:

Would strobing result in a blurred car though?
If you can pan with a telephoto, you can pan while your flash is strobing.
I mean ideally you'd want small bangs along the exposure then a big bang before second curtain, but no one makes anything like that I think.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I just bought the Velbom macro slider, both because of the good reviews and because it is insanely cheap compared to others I've been reading up on.

Question for those who have used it though: Is this rail easy enough to use when going beyond 1:1 magnification?

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

by astral
So I have a question about CPL's.

I have a B+W 77mm that I've had laying around for awhile because I started reading about how CPL's do partial polarizing and having spin the thing to get a 'right effect' and whatnot. That sounds annoying. Is it possible to put it on for maximum polarization then set the exposure compensation up a stop or two, or will that completely negate the benefit of a CPL and/or distort the image in some negative way?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
The reason you have to spin a CPL is because depending on what angle you are shooting to the sun, the angle of light coming into your lens changes and you need to be able to spin the filter to accommodate for that. As for the exposure compensation, I don't think it will really be necessary as your camera should be able to adjust its metering automatically.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
Playing about with compositing and I think I've fallen in the HDR hole via another route

Kind of nauseating? Or am I being to hard on it? Compositing is really fun, but so is HDR I guess.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Needs some cropping adjustment but I could see that selling a shitloads of postcards.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Zegnar posted:

Playing about with compositing and I think I've fallen in the HDR hole via another route

Kind of nauseating? Or am I being to hard on it? Compositing is really fun, but so is HDR I guess.

I actually think it looks nice. I wouldn't put it on my wall, but I could see how someone might. Like a travel agency or something.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Medusula posted:

Needs some cropping adjustment but I could see that selling a shitloads of postcards.

Agreed, in the best possible way. Maybe try getting it into stock images? I can see you making a little extra cash over time with that in your stock portfolio.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

OK so I've got something really really strange happening, extra flash is making my pictures more under exposed.

This is the setup...

It's a 350D on full manual with a sunpak on camera flash.

The flash to the right is the Vivitar 283 on M mode on an optical trigger.

So if I sit on the chair and just have the on camera firing, this happens

OK, so lets see what happens if I keep everything as it is and fire the Vivitar to get some fill on the right side...

I really don't understand this at all, how can adding light make my pictures under exposed????

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
My guess is that the Vivitar is triggering off the on-camera metering preflash and that the added light is causing the camera to think there's more light from its own flash than there actually is and thus turning down the power. Naturally the Vivitar can't recycle fast enough to flash again during the actual exposure so you end up with no flash from the Vivitar and less power from the on-camera flash.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

MrBlandAverage posted:

My guess is that the Vivitar is triggering off the on-camera metering preflash and that the added light is causing the camera to think there's more light from its own flash than there actually is and thus turning down the power. Naturally the Vivitar can't recycle fast enough to flash again during the actual exposure so you end up with no flash from the Vivitar and less power from the on-camera flash.

Man that makes a ton of sense, any ideas on how to get round this?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

AceClown posted:

Man that makes a ton of sense, any ideas on how to get round this?
I just reread your post and realized you have a Sunpak on the camera and you're not using the on-camera flash, so the solution should be simple if my theory is actually still correct: put the Sunpak on manual mode instead of TTL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Turn your on board flash to manual instead of TTL. In TTL, though it looks like only one flash is going off, like MrBlandAverage said you actually have two going off; the pre flash so the camera knows what it needs to do and the real flash. In manual it's just one flash.

I'm leaning towards MrBlandAverage's theory but another problem could be your sync speed. Unless you have a flash with high speed sync (430 & 580ex) you can't shoot at faster than 1/250 depending on your camera model. When working with flash it's always best to work in manual mode in your camera.