Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chamberk posted:

I really liked Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter, it was a nice combination of a semi-autobiography and the craziest goddamn soap operas ever. I really got into Vargas Llosa this year, having read that and The War of the End of the World (which was amazing), and I've got a copy of Death in the Andes waiting around. Was Feast of the Goat good?

So you would say he's worthwhile? I will give Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter a chance then, though given my current backlog of unread books I should get around to it somewhere in 2043.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Wyatt posted:

Anyone read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz? I just started it and, at about 30 pages in, I am wondering whether it's worth continuing. It won a heap of awards, but I am finding the prose a little too clever for my liking. Any spoiler-free thoughts on this one?

It crawls along at a slow pace at first, but starts to pick up after he goes to college. I enjoyed it a lot and was probably one of my favorite books that I had to read for school. Although the only thing that made me dislike it was all the parts that were in the DR. I felt that it didn't fit with the book at all and I felt that Diaz could of shortened it into one chapter or just left it out all together and wrote more about Oscar and his life.

Also if you are from New Jersey, specifically central Jersey, get ready for a treat of familiar references of the area and if not, well just enjoy them and not understand them.

EDIT:

With Borders offically closing as of tomorrow, it looks like it's time to go book shopping again. The last two I brought early last month, Man with the Panby John Donohue and I Found This Funny by Judd Apatow, when I was at the Strand were pretty cheap, but not as cheap as they could have been. I will have a list tomorrow after I get home. It's going to be crazy but fun. Also what's everyone else doing about this? Taking advantage of the cheap books or just not thinking about it at all.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 22, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

screenwritersblues posted:

Also what's everyone else doing about this? Taking advantage of the cheap books or just not thinking about it at all.
I'll poke my head in, but I'm not expecting much. 'Liquidation sale' usually means 'almost as cheap as amazon!'. I already only bought poo poo there with one of their constant 33/40% coupons, and sure enough, the email I got about this sale is "up to 40% off!".

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

The last time I was at Borders, it was to buy a boardgame with one of those 50% off anything in the store coupons they sent me in an email. It was already discounted, as well, so I got it for about $10.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Picked up the ESPN oral history today. It's one I've wanted to read for a while now, so I'm glad I finally got a copy.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I just bought The Magicians by Lev Grossman. I'm 40 percent through it and so far I am liking it. Really liking how he lightheartedly pokes fun at Harry Potter.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
I have now started The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest and I've said it when I've started every book on this thread, these books are awesome. The English translation is great, the pacing is just right and there is just enough action to keep it going. Great thrillers :D Well worth picking up the first one if you get a chance, they're very cheap second hand atm.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
After sitting in traffic for about fifteen minutes, I got the the closest Borders that was closing. The place was a mad house, considering that I should have waited until the week when it would have been a lot easier to deal with, but I did get a few books that wanted and few that I picked up on a whim.

Stone Arabia by Dana Spiotta
Medium Raw and The Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdian
Less Than Zero and Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis
Started Early, Took the Dog[b] by Kate Atkinson
[b]Those Guys Have All The Fun: Inside the World of ESPN
By James Andrew Miller and Tom Shales.

Waiting a few weeks and then heading back one final time to get some more. My parents will kill me, but its worth it.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

screenwritersblues posted:

Medium Raw and The Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdian

I've read all of his other books, but I have yet to pick this one up. Looking forward to when I get around to it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
From the Amazon Big Deal for Kindle thing I bought As I Lay Dying because it was only $4 and I want to read more Faulkner and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell since it sounds kind of interesting.

I also have a 14 hour flight to look forward to so bought Neuromancer for some lighter reading.

I'm about 60% finished with DeLillo's Underworld and really want to finish that before starting anything else. I'm really liking it but it's just so drat long.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I've just started Book one of the First Law trilogy, The Blade Itself, by Joe Abercrombie. Thoroughly enjoying it so far! I've just finished yet another re-read of the Malazan series and this seems a lot lighter in comparison, which is refreshing after trying to keep up with all the poo poo going on over 10 books of the Malazan world.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I'm about to start the Chinese novel Journey to the West. Reading a brief description it seems to be similar to the Divine Comedy, but obviously dealing with Chinese folk religion, Taoism, and Buddhism. I'm way out of my element here but hopefully I can learn a great deal about these beliefs as I read through the work.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Just started the Discworld series. I'm starting Equal Rites tonight, really loving Pratchett so far.

After this it's on to Hunger Games.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Burden posted:

I just bought The Magicians by Lev Grossman. I'm 40 percent through it and so far I am liking it. Really liking how he lightheartedly pokes fun at Harry Potter.

Same here. I picked this up thanks to this thread. I've only finished about a quarter of the book, but so far it's been a pretty good read.

Next up is probably going to be Asimov's The End of Eternity or The Drawing of the Three (the 2nd book of the Dark Tower series).

Narmi fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 27, 2011

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011

spixxor posted:

Just started the Discworld series. I'm starting Equal Rites tonight, really loving Pratchett so far.

After this it's on to Hunger Games.

I've been told many times to read the Discworld series but I always forget, so thank you for unknowingly reminding me. Also just finished the Hunger Games series and am restarting The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. I started it once before and had to stop to read something else that caught my eye but I am glad I came back to it because I am really enjoying it, but I enjoy most historical fiction anyways.

jaaammmie
Dec 9, 2003

WOOHOO!!!!!
I'm ten chapters into American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and I can't believe it's taken me this long to jump on the Gaiman train.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

jaaammmie posted:

I'm ten chapters into American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and I can't believe it's taken me this long to jump on the Gaiman train.

I actually liked Good Omens and Neverwhere more than American Gods. Even though Neverwhere was a tv show before a book, I think the book is much better, I get to use my imagination more. Good Omens was just hilarious to me, but maybe that is some of the Terry Prachett coming through.

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011
Just went to a Borders closing and picked up Eisenhorn the 40k book by Dan Abnett and The Fall of Hyperion.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I've been reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson. I'm enjoying it, which is surprising since I'm neither a math person or a religious person and there's lots of both in the book.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Nearly at the end of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner. It's amazing how the least little thing could have scuttled this movie.

Next up: I Am Spock. This has been sitting on the shelf for a while (not since it was published!) and I've started reading it today.

dorijan
Apr 24, 2011
sleepy
I've started reading Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher - forgot about the book after I bought it a while back.
After that: Hexed: The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just started on George R.R. Martin's A Clash of Kings. I'm absolutely loving the series, though I should probably have a break after this one. I hate the fact of the series not having been completed, or that it may never be.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I just started reading Wuthering Heights. I'm at chapter eight and the style of it has finally sunk it. I love all the stories in it, it's really enjoyable. I'm reading it for class, so I should have it finished by the end of the week!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

dorijan posted:

I've started reading Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher - forgot about the book after I bought it a while back.
After that: Hexed: The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne.

I enjoyed the Furies series.

I recently read all 3 of the Iron Druid series, and they were surprisingly really good. I wasn't expecting much, but it just kept getting better. Good humor, great pacing, and for some reason I just love the idea that there is an entire pantheon of every god/spirit/religion, and numerous werewolves, creatures of the night, supernatural beings of every shape and size... and they all think Thor is a dick :haw:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

From the latest trip to the bookstore:

Solar by Ian McEwan. Not gonna lie, my main motivation for picking it up stems from the McEwan reference in the Super Sad True Love Story "trailer". But, 50 pages in and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's funny and tragic in this interesting, deeply intimate way; I've definitely lost my mind a bit over a relationship ending, leading me to do similar ridiculous things myself.

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson. I whipped through Mistborn at the beach last weekend and I'm hooked.

Use Of Weapons by Iain M. Banks. My first Banks attempt was with Against a Dark background, and Christ was it dark ( :v: ); this one was suggested to me as a better introduction to his stuff.

paigeturner
Jul 15, 2011
YA books are a guilty pleasure of mine and I found some good free ebooks.

Survivors by Sophie Littlefield - http://www.thecopia.com/catalog/details.html?catId=8948372
Mutiny by Artist Arthur - http://www.thecopia.com/catalog/details.html?catId=8948371
Summer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa - http://www.thecopia.com/catalog/details.html?catId=8665900

They might be cheesy, but you can't fault me for loving free!

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

From my latest trip to the bookstore I picked up Labyrinths by Borges, a book I've been meaning to read for a long while now but could never find anywhere. Looking forward to beginning it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just finished a couple of birthday gifts:

Dance with Dragons - GRRM Was really impressed with this, liked it way better than the last one in the series and it might be my favorite to date. Every POV switch left me wanting more from the one that just finished, as opposed to Feast for Crows where I was praying for an early death to some of the POV characters.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson I can't really say it was good but I guess it was since I was generally pretty entertained and usually genuinely curious as to what was coming next in the story. Good poolside/toilet reading I guess.

quote:

Just started on George R.R. Martin's A Clash of Kings. I'm absolutely loving the series, though I should probably have a break after this one. I hate the fact of the series not having been completed, or that it may never be.

Stick with it, the last installment completely restored my faith that the fat man has a plan to finish this thing.

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011

Kekekela posted:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson I can't really say it was good but I guess it was since I was generally pretty entertained and usually genuinely curious as to what was coming next in the story. Good poolside/toilet reading I guess.

This is how I feel about this series. They are good, but not the best thing I have ever read. The main thing it has going for it for me is that it is way out of my usual reading genres. Never really read a mystery until I started reading this series.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I JUST bought Bioshock: Rapture. I was skeptical since most video game books are absolutely terrible but so far this one is great. It follows the rise and fall of Rapture and the back history of Andrew Ryan. Someone recommended it to me and I'm glad that they did.

Master Kush
Aug 8, 2007

Too fat to fish- Artie Lange.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
I just began reading Bridge of Birds. So far I like it but I've only gotten three chapters into it. I'm expecting things to pick up shortly.

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
I just bought a collection of Jane Austen books for $6 at a Borders liquidation sale and I'm 20 chapters from finishing Sense and Sensibility. Elinor better marry Colonel Brandon or I'm going to be pissed.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011
I have a bad habit of starting way more books than I can keep track of, so I'm taking advantage of this thread to try focusing my reading a little more.

I'm currently towards the beginning of three books:

George Orwell: An Age Like This 1920-1940: The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters which is incredibly readable. So far I'm still early in his career, so he hasn't quite decided on calling himself George Orwell yet, and the pieces are mostly short book reviews, some of his early exploration of working-class life & a lot of letters to friends.

Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie, which would like to eat all my free time but I'm resisting.

Venusberg by Anthony Powell -- his second novel. I'm surprised at how funny I find Powell, because bleak humour is usually not my thing.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Stick with it, the last installment completely restored my faith that the fat man has a plan to finish this thing.

I'm certainly going to stick with it, but God knows I'll still have to wait five years or so for the next book to come out, provided George R.R. Martin doesn't die first. :P

Idonie posted:

George Orwell: An Age Like This 1920-1940: The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters which is incredibly readable. So far I'm still early in his career, so he hasn't quite decided on calling himself George Orwell yet, and the pieces are mostly short book reviews, some of his early exploration of working-class life & a lot of letters to friends.

I read that a few years ago. I always liked his non-fiction more than Animal Farm or Nineteen Eighty-Four. His essays are very good in the late 1930s period, from memory.

Octy fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 4, 2011

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Still reading Discworld. I just started Pyramids and I really can't seem to get into it. Does it get better? Should I take a break from Pratchett and read something else?

I thought it might be a bit of burnout after reading 6 Discworld books in a row, but I really enjoyed all the other ones.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Idonie posted:

I'm in the middle of 1984 myself. Something tells me this book is not going to have a happy end.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Just got this from Borders today. It has 30% more zombies than the original version.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
edit: Moved my question to the chat thread.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumpy
Aug 30, 2004

Picked up Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. After reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy last year I've had an itch for more post-apocalyptic reading. Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven is next in the queue.

• Locked thread