Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

L.E. Cheetah posted:

I have a pitbull and a beagle. We usually walk them separately (I walk the pitbull) but my other person is out of town and I've been walking them together until she gets back. I usually alternate running and walking with the dogs because they seem to like it and I need the exercise. Earlier today, at the beginning of the walk, I started running and the beagle crossed right in front of my legs, I tripped, and I fell right on top of him. I'm a pretty big dude - 6'1" and 240 lbs. He made a heart-breaking doggy whining sound and bit me on the leg (broke my skin) as I was getting up, which is extremely out of character - I guess he felt like I was attacking him, or else he really wanted me to stop crushing him with my fat body.

His right leg is clearly injured - at first he wouldn't put any weight on it and would walk with three legs. I got him straight back to the house in that way. Its been a few hours and now he's still limping but he puts some of his weight on the leg and he's able to climb the furniture (we let the dogs on the couch). He lets me touch his leg without whining or nipping my hand. I gave some relatively hard squeezes, working down his leg, and he turned his head and tried to get away when I got down to the joint connecting the foot and the rest of the leg. He didn't bite my hand or make any noise, though.

I just wanted to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter. The lady gets home tomorrow, so I'll keep an eye on him and confer with her about a vet visit when she gets here.

The pitbull has been a total sweetheart about everything, including not getting his walk.

edit: Also want to know the best way to check for other injuries - I'm not 100% sure how exactly I fell on top of him.

You really should call a vet about this. If he's still got residual and acute pain then, well, that's a bad sign.

Regarding the biting, that's completely normal, and not something to be concerned about (despite the broken skin). The dog panicked, was in pain, and lashed out. It's pretty typical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Free Gucci Mane posted:

My dog got sprayed in the mouth by a skunk a few days ago (after ripping open the screen door to get at it). I used a skunk odor removal on his fur which seemed to work nicely, but his breath still smells terrible--the intensity of the stench has not decreased at all. Are there any non-toxic odor removals that can be used on the mouth?

Hey there, skunk buddy. I'm dealing with the same drat thing right now. So far the thing that's helped the most is letting the dogs chew on some gigantic raw bones.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I know this has been mentioned, but I wanted to double check since I am such a worry wart and my cats are my kids.

I am going away on a couple of weekend trips for weddings. One in late August and one in late September. The longest I could possibly be gone for either is 3 whole days, less for the one in August, really. I have decided to leave my cats at home and have my friend and her kids (they're good kids) check in on them and give them clean water and clean box. Is this OK? Is that too long to leave them alone? Will they be OK? I've never left them before since they've only been living exclusively with me since March.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Geolicious posted:

Is this OK? Is that too long to leave them alone? Will they be OK? I've never left them before since they've only been living exclusively with me since March.

As long as they have fresh water and food, they'll be fine. Make sure the box gets scooped as well.

Dodgy Hedgepig
Mar 13, 2007
Smex Mex McTaco Flex

InEscape posted:

Another thing the shelter advised me was to never stick a cat with the same needle more than twice - it gets blunter each time. It shouldn't take long to toss a new needle on but it does mean you have to use your hands for something other than holding a struggling cat. In the end I'd say it's probably better to stick a cat three times than let him loose to change the needle only to have to catch him again and start over.

Yeah I was changing it every time, which definitely slowed down the process. Anyway, I got all of his fluids into him tonight easily! Apparently his objection wasn't to the sub-Q, it was to being restrained. I figured it couldn't hurt to try just letting him sit on my lap without being wrapped up, and he took it like a champ. I feel like an idiot. Also, thank you so much for suggesting a butterfly catheter, that's what I used tonight and it made a big difference. It seems to be a lot more comfortable for him, and it stays in better too.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

2508084 posted:

As long as they have fresh water and food, they'll be fine. Make sure the box gets scooped as well.

I asked my friend if the box would be an issue and she said not at all.

I just worry about them so. I'll be at work sometimes and convince myself a fire has started or a window has been broken out and they've escaped.

My boyfriend was stifling laughter tonight on the phone when I started to cry because I'll have to board them when I go home for Christmas and won't be spending Christmas with them. He consoled me my telling me we could have a late Christmas when I got back to NV.

Yeah, I am nuts. I think if I had more than just my cats, maybe I wouldn't be such a crazy cat lady. v:shobon:v

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Windy posted:

I'm a little pissed at my vet now. My cat has a hyperactive thyroid, which I found out after $350 worth of bloodwork. The thing that I'm upset about that he's been going to the same vet for a long time and having bloodwork done every few months to monitor his diabetes and kidneys. I don't know how it wasn't caught sooner since I've been concerned about his weight loss for a year now. I'm worried about his kidney issues getting worse during the medicating for hyperthyroidism too. He's already on Denamarin which doesn't seem to be doing any good since his levels are still all wonky. Plus he's over-stressed because we just moved, so he also has that working against him.

Currently he's not eating as much, drinking normally, throws up on occasion and not as spunky. I suspect this will only get worse once I can get the new medication. I would like to know if it's worth getting a second opinion before starting the hyperthyroid medication. I'm not going to pay $80 a month for both pills that he's just going to throw up.

So why's he on Denamarin? It's usually used for liver problems.

The cost of topical methimazole is about 4x as much ($40 a month compared to $9), although since you're on Denamarin, it looks like cost doesn't matter as much. Or maybe you spent all your money on Denamarin.

Also, hyperthyroidism generally causes animals to eat more, so kitty not eating as much is odd. Has the vomiting ever been pursued?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Geolicious posted:

I just worry about them so. I'll be at work sometimes and convince myself a fire has started or a window has been broken out and they've escaped.

My boyfriend was stifling laughter tonight on the phone when I started to cry because I'll have to board them when I go home for Christmas and won't be spending Christmas with them. He consoled me my telling me we could have a late Christmas when I got back to NV.

Yeah, I am nuts. I think if I had more than just my cats, maybe I wouldn't be such a crazy cat lady. v:shobon:v

No way, boarding sucks for cats :( Plus it's pretty expensive. Can you get a cat sitter? Generally it is cheaper and better for the cats. Lots of vet techs do cat sitting, so if you trust your vet you should call them for a recommendation.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Captain Foxy posted:

Beneful is a poo poo food, check out the nutrition thread for a better diet, but if he's still throwing up it's likely unconnected to the food and he should go to a vet.

Still, once you have the puking issue resolved, change that food, it's all allergy-causing bullshit anyway.

We bought some California Naturals. We fed Peanut 33% rice, 33% Beneful and 33% CalNat last night, no problems. We are going to feed Bella the rest of the bag of Beneful and when that bag is tailing off we will switch her to better food also.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

We bought some California Naturals. We fed Peanut 33% rice, 33% Beneful and 33% CalNat last night, no problems. We are going to feed Bella the rest of the bag of Beneful and when that bag is tailing off we will switch her to better food also.

This is a great start - I hope that Peanut starts feeling better ASAP.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Geolicious posted:

I have some good news and I have some bad news. The good news is your cats will be just fine for the few days you're away, as long as they have food and water and clean litter. The bad news is you will never stop worrying about them. You are a cat lady, just accept it.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Doc Faustus posted:

Help! My cat is peeing on things! I have a 9+ year old cat who has decided that her litter boxes aren't good enough, and she'd rather pee on my bookcase or in a corner of the living room (both spots are literally 2 feet away from her litter box.) Is this a sign of something, or is my cat just being an rear end in a top hat?

The one theory that I've come up with is this: as she's gotten older she's gotten worse at jumping, and we're using top-entry litter boxes, a leftover from when we had dogs. Is it possible she can't/won't hop up?

We just got back from the vet. Her white blood cell count is high, but other than that she's perfectly healthy. No bladder issues, no parasites, no kidney problems, normal thyroid! Plus she got an idea body weight score!

The vet thinks it's kitty arthritis or behavioral and sent us home with a bottle of cosequin. I guess it could be worse. All of the tests, the exam, and her vaccinations were only $240. I love that vet!

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

dopaMEAN posted:

We just got back from the vet. Her white blood cell count is high, but other than that she's perfectly healthy. No bladder issues, no parasites, no kidney problems, normal thyroid! Plus she got an idea body weight score!

The vet thinks it's kitty arthritis or behavioral and sent us home with a bottle of cosequin. I guess it could be worse. All of the tests, the exam, and her vaccinations were only $240. I love that vet!

If it's arthritis you may want to look in to low sided or walk in litter boxes. Sometimes that can help too.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

RheaConfused posted:

If it's arthritis you may want to look in to low sided or walk in litter boxes. Sometimes that can help too.

Yeah, after we posted we went out and bought a box with maybe 8 inch high sides. Her other boxes are all top-entry, so this should be easier. She's been using the new box a lot.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

RheaConfused posted:

No way, boarding sucks for cats :( Plus it's pretty expensive. Can you get a cat sitter? Generally it is cheaper and better for the cats. Lots of vet techs do cat sitting, so if you trust your vet you should call them for a recommendation.

If I go away longer for a few days I will have to board them as much as it will suck in every way. No sitters around here and the (good) vet is an hour away. There is a vet in town, but they do not come recommended so I would be hesitant to ask for a sitter rec. I live in a pretty BFE place. My only friend is our office manager and I couldn't ask her to do it for more than a few days. She's busy with her life, too. I contacted a few sitting services in Reno and Carson City, but they won't come out here.

wraithgar posted:

The bad news is you will never stop worrying about them. You are a cat lady, just accept it.

:sigh: Well, I figured as much.

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]
I asked here a little while ago about my puppy being itchy.

He is now 5 months old, eating Nature's Recipe puppy lamb flavor, and I have pretty much cut corn/wheat/chicken out of his diet to see if that would make any change. Before this, we tried Authority and Castor and Pollux puppy food, both of which caused itching as well. He's also been treated with Advantage, and is flea-combed daily to make sure he's not picking anything up, since the groomer said his itching looked like a flea allergy.

His itching has progressed from basic scratching and chewing his butt to removing small patches of fur from his back legs and under his tail [this may just be because he now has adult teeth in front which are more effective?]. The bald spots have no redness or irritation apparent. He has been doing this since I got him at 8 weeks. He's completely up to date on his vaccinations, gets a few hours of exercise spread out the day, and is almost never left alone [I'm home all the time, and he usually goes with me when I leave.]

I'm at a complete loss, but I don't want him to be miserable :( He goes back to the vet on Sunday, and I'm going to be looking into allergy shots or something like that. We do have two cats, but his foster also had a cat and didn't notice anything off. I'm also thinking of using an oatmeal shampoo on him but am not sure how helpful that would be. Anyone had fun experiences with an itchydawg, and am I missing anything I could do to make him not chew his fur out?

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Sorry, this probably should have gone in the dog thread.

So tomorrow a couple is coming over to check out my house to make sure I'm a suitable adopter for their 3-year old Dogo Argentino. I met the dog once earlier this week and we had immediate chemistry and I asked some basic questions about the dog and he asked me if I'd be willing to return him to them if I decided I could no longer keep him and what I would do if he did end up biting someone or something. If all goes well and they decide I'm a decent guy, he'll bring the dog over early next week after they have a chance to say goodbye and collect all his documentation and stuff. I'm sure he just wants to make sure I'm not going to go take him off to dogfight or smoke crack around him. Man, I'm nervous and I really hope they like my place because I'm in love with their dog already, trying so hard not to get my hopes up too high as I know they've had other calls. I literally just scrubbed the entire house top to bottom and outside. Oh god, they're coming at noon. Should I make snacks?

I'm going to be a new dog owner (haven't had one since I was very young besides my ex girlfriend's toy dog that did nothing but sit in your lap) but have done a bit of research into the breed and dog care in general. I'm glad to have this forum as a resource as well!

Anyway, enough backstory. Here's what I've already asked about the dog, what other information should I gather before I go about welcoming this big, beautiful, great, white dog into my home? If it goes as planned I will be taking him in for a wellness check at the local vet the same week.

Origin - Purchased from show dog breeder. They seem to be out of business but I archive.org'd it and he's on it, purchased as a puppy for $2,000.
Pedigree - They have it. Here's his sire.
Weight - He insists that he needs to gain weight, "only about 120 lbs." Google says they should be about 100 lbs. Not sure?
Training - Knows basic commands (come, leave it, sit, stay). Going to try to teach him some more.
Leash - Great for walking, running, and biking. Owner uses prong collar...
Pooping - Potty trained at their place, doesn't go inside.
Hearing - Hearing is fine, going to ask if tested at vet.
Neutering - Yep. Done by professionals, he has documentation.
Fighting - Been in two fights. Both times the other dogs attacked him out of nowhere (vs Akita, vs 2 Bulldogs). He didn't injure them, just held down. "No on dog parks."
Medical - No problems, apparently. Has a couple of scratches near his nose from playing with their hyper female bulldog.
Ear Cropping - Cropped medium as a tradition for the breed. Guy who created the breed set it as a standard.
Teeth - A little brown, he hasn't had the time to properly care for them lately as he has two young children and three other dogs.
Barking - No barking except if he detects an intruder or danger. "If I hear barking at night, the baseball bat comes out."
Around dogs - Loves females, hates unfamiliar alpha males. Won't attack or bark at them but won't let them near him.
Around children - Loves them. Lets him roam free with children in the house.

I'm assuming he's "up to date" on shots but I'm not sure how that goes. I'm hoping he has medical records of some sort, he seems to really care about his dogs and he knew all about the history of the breed and they seemed to adore him when I visited. I know talking to a vet is obviously where it's headed but is there some sort of set schedule for shots or vaccines a dog may need throughout its life online anywhere so I can inform myself a bit?

Secondly, I've ordered some supplies: 4' heavy chain leash, double bowl feeder, dog toothpaste, KONG toys (toy/frisbee), training clickers. Any suggestions? What I've ordered so far are general care items, I plan on adopting or rescuing even if they don't choose me as his adopter so I'm not getting too far ahead of myself. I have tons of blankets and comforters around for a makeshift bed until I can get him a decent one (maybe from Etsy). I'd also get a new ID collar. Not getting food yet until I know but he eats Chicken Soup for Dog Lover's Soul.

Oh, one more question. He has a microchip, is owner information embedded in it? How do you go about changing it if so?

tl;dr: Adopting new dog from couple. What else should I ask them? What other supplies should I get? Microchip information changing?

StyleFresh fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 28, 2011

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Daemoxx posted:

He is now 5 months old, eating Nature's Recipe puppy lamb flavor, and I have pretty much cut corn/wheat/chicken out of his diet to see if that would make any change. Before this, we tried Authority and Castor and Pollux puppy food, both of which caused itching as well.

Other things can cause food allergies too, and there are several ingredients that overlap between all those diets, like eggs and oats.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

StyleFresh posted:

tl;dr: Adopting new dog from couple. What else should I ask them? What other supplies should I get? Microchip information changing?

Not a dog person, but I'd sure like to know why they're getting rid of him if he's so great.

I'm pretty sure you can just go on HomeAgain or whatever, pay a fee, and get his chip registered to you instead. It's not embedded on the chip-- that just has the number so that the vet/rescue/etc. can call up a registry and have the owner info looked up.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

^^^^That too. Though I imagine the answer will be: we're just too busy for him. No matter if that's the truth or not. I imagine some of his behavior problems (the alpha male thing) are worse then they're letting on, but then I'm paranoid and that isn't the end of the world.

StyleFresh posted:

Oh, one more question. He has a microchip, is owner information embedded in it? How do you go about changing it if so?

Other things you can ask:
-is the dog crate trained?
-Is he left free around the house when he's home alone and is he destructive at all?
-Is he food motivated? Toy motivated? Any particular kinds of food or toys? Is he clicker trained? If not, what kind of training was used (I'm going to go with at least some punishment because the prong collar)?
-Any training or behavioral problems (I would ask them to elaborate more on the barking thing. was there actually an incident where he barked and there was a problem? Has he barked when there isn't danger/an intruder?)
-any aversion to things like rain, thunderstorms? Heat or cold tolerance problems?
-what does he do to ward off male dogs he doesn't like, growling, etc? (good to know the signs)
-how would they describe his energy requirements? hours a day, what are his favorite things to do, etc.
-since they feed a good food, ask how much he gets fed a day

For the microchip, I imagine it depends on the company, but we needed to send in a letter with our information and a note from the previous owners to transfer ownership. It cost like $16.

Good luck! :D

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Not a dog person, but I'd sure like to know why they're getting rid of him if he's so great.

I'm pretty sure you can just go on HomeAgain or whatever, pay a fee, and get his chip registered to you instead. It's not embedded on the chip-- that just has the number so that the vet/rescue/etc. can call up a registry and have the owner info looked up.

They say they need to find him a new home because they have two other female dogs (met one of them, she's awesome, too) and a small male plus two young children and don't have time to take the dogs out to exercise enough as it is, plus the price of dog food and diapers add up. I'll probably dig a little deeper and find out why but he seemed pretty sincere. Pretty sure they're bringing their kids over as well as they can't be left alone so we'll see.

Ah sweet, thanks. I wasn't sure if there were different microchip brands or databases or what, I'm sure he'll have all the info.

Kiri koli posted:

Other things you can ask:
-is the dog crate trained?
-Is he left free around the house when he's home alone and is he destructive at all?
-Is he food motivated? Toy motivated? Any particular kinds of food or toys? Is he clicker trained? If not, what kind of training was used (I'm going to go with at least some punishment because the prong collar)?
-Any training or behavioral problems (I would ask them to elaborate more on the barking thing. was there actually an incident where he barked and there was a problem? Has he barked when there isn't danger/an intruder?)
-any aversion to things like rain, thunderstorms? Heat or cold tolerance problems?
-what does he do to ward off male dogs he doesn't like, growling, etc? (good to know the signs)
-how would they describe his energy requirements? hours a day, what are his favorite things to do, etc.
-since they feed a good food, ask how much he gets fed a day

For the microchip, I imagine it depends on the company, but we needed to send in a letter with our information and a note from the previous owners to transfer ownership. It cost like $16.

Good luck! :D
Sweet, thanks! I'll definitely add these to my arsenal. We already touched on a few of these while I played with him, guess they slipped my mind. They let him roam the house until late at night so I'm guessing he's not super destructive, I'll ask if he'll knock over lots of stuff.

Yeah, I'll definitely look into the motivations and training. He said that he's only barked like hell a couple of times and once they found someone standing around in front of their gate very late at night. He also hates baths/water so I'll try to work on that if possible - I'm guessing that means he hates rain. He eats a couple cups of food two times a day.

StyleFresh fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 29, 2011

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]

HelloSailorSign posted:

Other things can cause food allergies too, and there are several ingredients that overlap between all those diets, like eggs and oats.

Oh man.
Is there a food I could possibly feed him that has none of the things that cause allergies? I want to get him to a non-itchy baseline so that I can slowly reintroduce things and figure out exactly what is making him itch.

Also, have I missed anything that might be making him itchy that aren't food allergies? Forgot to mention he has been dewormed in the last few months as well.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

StyleFresh posted:

Honestly, it sounds like you're going to be buying into a dog with issues. My money is on the owners making light of some of the scraps and male aggression he's displaying.

However, that doesn't automatically warn me off. Are you both capable and willing to handle what very likely is a dog-aggressive dog? Have you looked into local kick-rear end training facilities? Maybe looked into local behaviourists?

You seem well prepared, but a Dogo is a big powerful breed, and you're a novice dog owner. You're likely going to have to put a lot of energy into this dog, and I would never trust him 100% around other dogs. Would you be happy with that?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Daemoxx posted:

He is now 5 months old, eating Nature's Recipe puppy lamb flavor, and I have pretty much cut corn/wheat/chicken out of his diet to see if that would make any change. Before this, we tried Authority and Castor and Pollux puppy food, both of which caused itching as well. He's also been treated with Advantage, and is flea-combed daily to make sure he's not picking anything up, since the groomer said his itching looked like a flea allergy.

His itching has progressed from basic scratching and chewing his butt to removing small patches of fur from his back legs and under his tail [this may just be because he now has adult teeth in front which are more effective?]. The bald spots have no redness or irritation apparent. He has been doing this since I got him at 8 weeks. He's completely up to date on his vaccinations, gets a few hours of exercise spread out the day, and is almost never left alone [I'm home all the time, and he usually goes with me when I leave.]

I'm at a complete loss, but I don't want him to be miserable :( He goes back to the vet on Sunday, and I'm going to be looking into allergy shots or something like that. We do have two cats, but his foster also had a cat and didn't notice anything off. I'm also thinking of using an oatmeal shampoo on him but am not sure how helpful that would be. Anyone had fun experiences with an itchydawg, and am I missing anything I could do to make him not chew his fur out?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you describe sounds like itching and chewing directed at the back half of the dog. This is absolutely characteristic of a flea allergy. You don't have to ever see a flea for your dog to be allergic to them--the dog is definitely seeing fleas unless he lives in a clean room or at significant elevation. Every time he goes on a walk, fleas have the opportunity to jump on, even for a little while, and they bite many times per hour that they are on the dog. For a flea allergic dog, one or two bites may be enough to make them itch like crazy!

To really rule out flea allergy you would have to do better than Advantage and flea combing (I assume the advantage is monthly?). The topical products claim to be good for a month, and some claim to withstand bathing and swimming, but for flea-allergic dogs it isn't true. So, what you have to do is use oral flea meds, and sometimes in combination with a topical med. Some vets like to use Capstar daily to rule out flea allergy, because it kills the fleas so much faster than the topical products once a flea lands. It's 30 minutes vs. several hours--figure out how many flea bites the difference is! Capstar can be pricey in private practice (the teaching hospital here gets it really cheap, so it's feasible for clients seeing Dermatology here but it may be a lot more at your vet). You can fudge it sometimes by doing Capstar daily for a month, to prove it is or is not a flea allergy, and then backing off to every other day or twice a week if that is doable for your dog.

Another option some vets will use is to give Comfortis, a month-long oral flea med. Again, for flea-allergic dogs it isn't quite effective enough for a whole month. So, to get around that, one strategy is to give Comfortis, and then two weeks later give a topical (Advantage, Frontline, etc). Alternate like that so the dog gets an oral every month and a topical every month, two weeks apart.

If your dog is to the point of chewing off his fur you really need to do whatever it takes to get this diagnosed and controlled ASAP. It isn't long at all between chewing off hair, chewing off skin, and then getting secondary infections. In fact, since you would need to go to the vet for either Capstar or Comfortis, it would be a good idea to have them check for skin infections as well, as those can set up quickly and can add to the itch.

Rear-end itching is really classic for flea allergy, but if a trial of really good flea control for a month or so didn't help at all, or only helped a little, then you would want to investigate other allergies. The other two dogs get are food, and environmental (think pollens, molds). Food can be ruled out by a strict food trial, using a food vets can prescribe/sell--usually the stuff you can get a pet stores isn't pure enough to truly prove that an animal does or does not have a food allergy. You feed only that for 2-3 months, with no treats, no flavored medications, toothpastes, chew toys, rawhides, etc. and if that doesn't work, and you've ruled out fleas, then you're left with environmental allergies (atopic allergies). Those can be diagnosed by skin or blood allergy tests, neither of which is 100% so sometimes you end up treating for an environmental allergy you suspect, but can't prove.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

a life less posted:

Honestly, it sounds like you're going to be buying into a dog with issues. My money is on the owners making light of some of the scraps and male aggression he's displaying.

However, that doesn't automatically warn me off. Are you both capable and willing to handle what very likely is a dog-aggressive dog? Have you looked into local kick-rear end training facilities? Maybe looked into local behaviourists?

You seem well prepared, but a Dogo is a big powerful breed, and you're a novice dog owner. You're likely going to have to put a lot of energy into this dog, and I would never trust him 100% around other dogs. Would you be happy with that?

It did seem a little too good to be true as they aren't asking for a rehoming fee or anything and he would be bringing him over here but they seem very nice and I got along really well with the dog. I haven't looked into any crazy training just yet but I'm very willing to throw time and money at it if that's the case. He grew up with and lives with three other dogs and I witnessed him, well, "not giving a poo poo" when a random male chihuahua stopped by their gate to taunt them. He walked up to the gate and stared at it but snapped out of it when I said "come."

Yeah, I understand they're very powerful and the last thing I want to do is put myself, loved ones, or random passer-bys at risk but I'm going to do my best training him on my own and quite literally keep him on a tight leash around others for the time being.

Both fortunately and unfortunately, I just went through a terrible breakup and now have all the time in the world after work. I jog every morning so he'll be joining me and I'll spend all the time I can bonding with him and training him. I'm definitely not risking a dog park but I'll see how he reacts passing other dogs on the street after we get to know each other better, the links in that dog training thread are pretty slick. A bunch of my friends and family in the area also have dogs that I can try to train and socialize with. I have the time and energy, hopefully you guys can keep helping me out and keep me in line here with all my questions!

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

So why's he on Denamarin? It's usually used for liver problems.

The cost of topical methimazole is about 4x as much ($40 a month compared to $9), although since you're on Denamarin, it looks like cost doesn't matter as much. Or maybe you spent all your money on Denamarin.

Also, hyperthyroidism generally causes animals to eat more, so kitty not eating as much is odd. Has the vomiting ever been pursued?

You're right, it's for liver issues. I was tired. The Denamarin is $30 a month, and the medication he needs for the thyroid is $52 per month. The cost does matter, but I've always been told not to buy meds off the internet by my cousin who's been burned by a few places sending her expired products. I just assumed the topical was about the same price from the vet.

The vomiting has been going on for some time, generally from eating too fast and it wasn't an everyday thing. It had been asked about several times and when I went in for a check there was "nothing obviously wrong" after a round of blood tests and was sent home with amoxicillin or some other random thing. He hadn't been on insulin for over a year and the weight loss was something we were working on but once he hit 14lbs last year I remarked that he was too thin(he's a big cat). I was happy with the vet as far as getting the diabetes under control, but it seems that once that happened my cat has been going downhill and it's just annoying.

I think I'm going to start asking for copies of the results again. Every time I get the lab results the vet used phrases like "a little off" or "slightly higher/lower than normal". It's like how he a;ways has crystals in his urine despite being on expensive food for three years to fix it. The food has been useless, but any time I ask about switching him to a better non-prescription brand I feel like I am getting scolded.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Daemoxx posted:

Oh man.
Is there a food I could possibly feed him that has none of the things that cause allergies? I want to get him to a non-itchy baseline so that I can slowly reintroduce things and figure out exactly what is making him itch.

Also, have I missed anything that might be making him itchy that aren't food allergies? Forgot to mention he has been dewormed in the last few months as well.

Nellie has had really bad allergy issues off and on (unfortunately on again right now), but we had really good results using Natural Balance's LID Vegetarian formula. Obviously, a vegetarian food isn't ideal for long-term use, but it was exactly what we needed to get that non-itchy baseline. They've got other LID diets which you can try as well, as you're reintroducing various proteins.

One thing you ought to do is check the ingredient list for any treats that he's getting. I'm pretty sure that's what caused Nellie's recent allergy flare up, but I threw away the package, and can't be sure. She's back on vegan treats and anti-histamines for the moment, and I'm hoping this clears up quickly.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Met with the family today and they are bringing him over tomorrow evening. :)

Will post pics!

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

I've noticed that several people in PI have nifty doggie seat belts. We usually crate Psyche in the car because our trainer requires the dogs to be contained and covered before class so they don't get all riled up. I think the crate causes Psyche anxiety though and my husband took her to class tonight and said that some idiot pulled out in front of him and he had to slam on the brakes and she got thrown forward. He thinks she's okay, but I think it's past time we tried out a proper restraint and see how she does in the back seat instead of the crate.

Any recommendations on the best doggie seat belts?

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

I found out I have to license my new dog when he arrives with the county, are there any other registrations or anything I should look into?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

StyleFresh posted:

I found out I have to license my new dog when he arrives with the county, are there any other registrations or anything I should look into?

You'll need proof of rabies vaccinations and if he's microchipped you'll need to update it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Windy posted:

I've always been told not to buy meds off the internet by my cousin who's been burned by a few places sending her expired products. I just assumed the topical was about the same price from the vet.

I think I'm going to start asking for copies of the results again. Every time I get the lab results the vet used phrases like "a little off" or "slightly higher/lower than normal". It's like how he a;ways has crystals in his urine despite being on expensive food for three years to fix it. The food has been useless, but any time I ask about switching him to a better non-prescription brand I feel like I am getting scolded.

I'm with your cousin on the drugs bit, though there are some good online sources out there (but don't ask me). Heck, you can't even trust compounding pharmacies sometimes... it's a question that gets brought up if an animal isn't responding appropriately to medication: Where did the drugs come from, and have they been tried on the brand name?

The use of the phrases could be the vet trying to tell you the values so that you're informed, but trying to get you to understand that those particular values aren't troubling at the same time. It's a hard balance to take, and it needs to be different with each person.

It sounds like there's a lot going on with kitty. There could certainly be a lot of values that are slightly out of the reference ranges that there simply isn't a good explanation for.

The crystals and being on a prescription diet are odd, though. I wonder what kind of crystals they are.

Daemoxx:
Chaco's wall of text is what you need to read. You might think you've got perfect flea control, but I've seen some amazing proofs that fleas can be in the most meticulously groomed dog. Capstar is amazing stuff for that - give it to a dog and in a few minutes, fleas start falling off dead.

Also, there is no natural protein source (that I know of) that won't cause an allergic reaction in the right animal. The best thing would be hydrolyzed protein diets, which are prescription.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
So I took my 1 yr old Boston Terrier to the vet today because he had been scratching his ears a lot and had a lot of very dirty looking wax built up. (which I had cleaned out carefully)

Vet said it was allergies and put an ointment in his ear and gave him a steroid shot. I didn't get a sheet that told me what the names of the medicines were, but I can get that information when the vets office opens up again Monday.

Anyhow, the reason I'm on here is because several hours after the visit, he started acting really restless. Now he's seemingly scared of everything that makes a sound or moves. He will not leave my wife's side and does not want to be outside longer than he has to be to pee. (unusual for him) He either wants to be lying on one of us, or tucked under a table or chair.

He'll jump up randomly, and suddenly and look behind him (at nothing) and then run away real quick.

Could anything they gave him (I realize it doesn't help I don't have the name of what they gave him) cause this sort of behavior change? Physically he seems fine. Temperature seems normal, nose is cold and wet, he'll still play if you initiate it. But he's just seemingly terrified of the normal creaks and groans of the house he's been in for a long time.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 31, 2011

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Steroids can sometimes cause behavioral changes, so it could be that, but it's hard to say if that's the problem.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
It's possible too that he perhaps was hearing a little differently from the buildup in his ears clogging them up a bit and having it cleared changes it so he's a little more on-edge about stuff. If it persists through the day today you could call the vet who treated him tomorrow and let them know/ask them about it.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Anyone make their own training treats? Any good recipes to make a bunch in bulk?

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

Kiri koli posted:

I've noticed that several people in PI have nifty doggie seat belts. We usually crate Psyche in the car because our trainer requires the dogs to be contained and covered before class so they don't get all riled up. I think the crate causes Psyche anxiety though and my husband took her to class tonight and said that some idiot pulled out in front of him and he had to slam on the brakes and she got thrown forward. He thinks she's okay, but I think it's past time we tried out a proper restraint and see how she does in the back seat instead of the crate.

Any recommendations on the best doggie seat belts?

We have this one for Ginny. It's padded and comfortable looking, and she doesn't seem to have any problem sitting up or lying down in the back seat with it on. She's very calm in the car, so I can't vouch for whether or not a determined escape artist would be able to wriggle out of the straps, but we've been very happy with it so far.

The sizing runs very small, though. We had started out with a medium and wound up having to exchange it for a large. At her fattest (50 lbs), Ginny barely squeezed into the large with all the straps as loose as they could go. Now, at around 35-40 lbs, she fits comfortably into the large harness.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

StyleFresh posted:

Anyone make their own training treats? Any good recipes to make a bunch in bulk?

I have a dehydrator and make random jerkies and things with that for training. I do a lot of liver because its cheap ($1.50 for about a lb for me), makes a ton of tiny snacks and I could do it in the oven before I got the dehydrator. Just boil the liver for about 10 mins in water (I just boil it for however long it takes the oven to preheat to 200 degrees) then pat dry, stick on a baking sheet, and bake for 2-3 hours flipping occasionally. Either after boiling or after baking cut into pencil eraser sized pieces. I store mine in the fridge but they seem to be fairly shelf stable and should be fine left out in a sealed bag if you go through them at a reasonable rate.

The only problem with the liver snacks is my dog makes me crazy whining while I'm cooking them because he wants them so bad.

I also use take the liver water, reduce it down a bit and add a couple of packets of plain gelatin then use it to fill kongs once its chilled and jello-like so I get a lot out of my liver.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
- Update on the suddenly spooked and paranoid Boston

After finally getting him to lie down for a little bit last night he fell asleep and surprisingly slept the whole night. He's back to normal today, but still a little restless. I'm relieved to say the least, his heart rate was pretty elevated for a while last night.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I have a dehydrator and make random jerkies and things with that for training. I do a lot of liver because its cheap ($1.50 for about a lb for me), makes a ton of tiny snacks and I could do it in the oven before I got the dehydrator. Just boil the liver for about 10 mins in water (I just boil it for however long it takes the oven to preheat to 200 degrees) then pat dry, stick on a baking sheet, and bake for 2-3 hours flipping occasionally. Either after boiling or after baking cut into pencil eraser sized pieces. I store mine in the fridge but they seem to be fairly shelf stable and should be fine left out in a sealed bag if you go through them at a reasonable rate.

The only problem with the liver snacks is my dog makes me crazy whining while I'm cooking them because he wants them so bad.

I also use take the liver water, reduce it down a bit and add a couple of packets of plain gelatin then use it to fill kongs once its chilled and jello-like so I get a lot out of my liver.

Isn't liver really calorie dense? All the pre-made stuff I've looked at says to only feed up to two, pencil eraser sized pieces a day. So I don't use it for training sessions but things like going into her crate or whatever that only happens a few times a day.