Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kiri koli posted:

Isn't liver really calorie dense? All the pre-made stuff I've looked at says to only feed up to two, pencil eraser sized pieces a day. So I don't use it for training sessions but things like going into her crate or whatever that only happens a few times a day.

It can be sort of rich for some dogs but I don't think its particularly calorie dense. My package says that 1 oz is 40 calories and all my treats weigh much less than an oz. I also tend to mix it with meal kibbles to use as training treats so I'm not feeding cups of it at a time. Like anything it depends on the dog. Major gets a bunch because we train a lot but he's also a highly active, large dog and he's very fit. For a dog Psyche's size a couple tiny pieces makes up a much larger part of her total calorie intake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]

Chaco posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what you describe sounds like itching and chewing directed at the back half of the dog. This is absolutely characteristic of a flea allergy. You don't have to ever see a flea for your dog to be allergic to them--the dog is definitely seeing fleas unless he lives in a clean room or at significant elevation. Every time he goes on a walk, fleas have the opportunity to jump on, even for a little while, and they bite many times per hour that they are on the dog. For a flea allergic dog, one or two bites may be enough to make them itch like crazy!

To really rule out flea allergy you would have to do better than Advantage and flea combing (I assume the advantage is monthly?). The topical products claim to be good for a month, and some claim to withstand bathing and swimming, but for flea-allergic dogs it isn't true. So, what you have to do is use oral flea meds, and sometimes in combination with a topical med. Some vets like to use Capstar daily to rule out flea allergy, because it kills the fleas so much faster than the topical products once a flea lands. It's 30 minutes vs. several hours--figure out how many flea bites the difference is! Capstar can be pricey in private practice (the teaching hospital here gets it really cheap, so it's feasible for clients seeing Dermatology here but it may be a lot more at your vet). You can fudge it sometimes by doing Capstar daily for a month, to prove it is or is not a flea allergy, and then backing off to every other day or twice a week if that is doable for your dog.

Another option some vets will use is to give Comfortis, a month-long oral flea med. Again, for flea-allergic dogs it isn't quite effective enough for a whole month. So, to get around that, one strategy is to give Comfortis, and then two weeks later give a topical (Advantage, Frontline, etc). Alternate like that so the dog gets an oral every month and a topical every month, two weeks apart.

If your dog is to the point of chewing off his fur you really need to do whatever it takes to get this diagnosed and controlled ASAP. It isn't long at all between chewing off hair, chewing off skin, and then getting secondary infections. In fact, since you would need to go to the vet for either Capstar or Comfortis, it would be a good idea to have them check for skin infections as well, as those can set up quickly and can add to the itch.

Rear-end itching is really classic for flea allergy, but if a trial of really good flea control for a month or so didn't help at all, or only helped a little, then you would want to investigate other allergies. The other two dogs get are food, and environmental (think pollens, molds). Food can be ruled out by a strict food trial, using a food vets can prescribe/sell--usually the stuff you can get a pet stores isn't pure enough to truly prove that an animal does or does not have a food allergy. You feed only that for 2-3 months, with no treats, no flavored medications, toothpastes, chew toys, rawhides, etc. and if that doesn't work, and you've ruled out fleas, then you're left with environmental allergies (atopic allergies). Those can be diagnosed by skin or blood allergy tests, neither of which is 100% so sometimes you end up treating for an environmental allergy you suspect, but can't prove.
This is absolutely amazing, thank you so much. I just got back from the vet, and asked them about oral medications for fleas. They agreed that the scratching is definitely a classic flea allergy, but after asking me about places he goes [everywhere, woods, beaches, etc, I'm pretty active and bring him on all kinds of adventures], they recommended I give Frontline a shot as they've been seeing some Advantage-resistant fleas around. If that doesn't seem to resolve the issue within a few weeks, they will look at switching him to an oral version as well. For the meantime, I have an ointment to apply to his back end on the chewed places.

They did say that food allergy is very unlikely since he doesn't scratch his face or head at all, so I'm definitely relieved. I have no problems doing what my dog needs, but I was going absolutely nuts trying to find a food he could eat.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Daemoxx posted:

This is absolutely amazing, thank you so much. I just got back from the vet, and asked them about oral medications for fleas. They agreed that the scratching is definitely a classic flea allergy, but after asking me about places he goes [everywhere, woods, beaches, etc, I'm pretty active and bring him on all kinds of adventures], they recommended I give Frontline a shot as they've been seeing some Advantage-resistant fleas around. If that doesn't seem to resolve the issue within a few weeks, they will look at switching him to an oral version as well. For the meantime, I have an ointment to apply to his back end on the chewed places.

They did say that food allergy is very unlikely since he doesn't scratch his face or head at all, so I'm definitely relieved. I have no problems doing what my dog needs, but I was going absolutely nuts trying to find a food he could eat.

Excellent. Sometimes one topical product does work better than another, so maybe Frontline will do the trick. One thing you can do to help it along is try to keep it from washing off--no swimming, no baths--so you can really tell if it's the flea meds working or not, as opposed to them washing off.

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]

Chaco posted:

Excellent. Sometimes one topical product does work better than another, so maybe Frontline will do the trick. One thing you can do to help it along is try to keep it from washing off--no swimming, no baths--so you can really tell if it's the flea meds working or not, as opposed to them washing off.

The vet told me that he should be able to get wet after 3-4 days, as long as no soap was involved. Should I wait longer than that? It's been pretty hot so he's been playing in the sprinklers a lot, but I can keep him out of there if we need to.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Daemoxx posted:

The vet told me that he should be able to get wet after 3-4 days, as long as no soap was involved. Should I wait longer than that? It's been pretty hot so he's been playing in the sprinklers a lot, but I can keep him out of there if we need to.

I was told by a veterinary dermatologist that for flea-allergic dogs the topical products should be considered not waterproof, even if the box says otherwise. They just think that any amount of washing or swimming reduces the efficacy, and while it might still be effective for other dogs at that level, for a dog that is really itchy from one flea it's not enough. I honestly don't know if there are any studies or evidence that this is true, it's just what I was told by a vet who sees mostly allergic dogs. Personally, I would give it a try for 3-4 weeks with no chance of it having been washed off, and if that worked, then I might try and see exactly how many baths or swims were acceptable. But, my first priority would be to confirm for sure that the dog was allergic to fleas, and to do that I would need a month of very good, very strict flea control. Otherwise, I would be left with doubts if it didn't help the itching.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

The use of the phrases could be the vet trying to tell you the values so that you're informed, but trying to get you to understand that those particular values aren't troubling at the same time. It's a hard balance to take, and it needs to be different with each person.

It sounds like there's a lot going on with kitty. There could certainly be a lot of values that are slightly out of the reference ranges that there simply isn't a good explanation for.

The crystals and being on a prescription diet are odd, though. I wonder what kind of crystals they are.

The vet used to tell me things like "His ____ is at 22 and should be 8 at the highest so we need to adjust ______ and recheck it in a month". I'm not the smartest admittedly, but I am familiar with what levels we should be at after running blood tests and other vitals for the last 5 years. My cat was otherwise happy and healthy so I had no reason to go in sooner than his 6 month check-up except for his leg injury last week, which didn't get looked at anyway.

He has struvite crystals, but they have been present for the last 5 years despite being on prescription food. I've asked about trying alternate brands or increasing the wet food intake and he just says to keep him on the same food and it should clear up :rolleyes:

When I was a kid we never took our cats to a vet and they happily lived into their late teens. This little bastard has cost me all of my savings and just keeps getting worse. It's so frustrating.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
How do you "ship" a dog?

My wife has a cousin down in Dallas who is looking to give up a shih tzu, approx 14 months old.

Problem is, we're up in Wisconsin and we're not sure how to get the dog between locations.

Google has only made this more confusing and difficult to understand...

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

My cat is being a really big jerk to another cat and I don't know how to get her to stop. My roommate brought home another cat(without my knowledge, otherwise I would have tried to introduce the two cats properly) and hes here to stay. However, he is deathly afraid of my cat, a female. He sticks to my roommate's room and the upstairs bathroom at all times because he's really, really afraid of her. I tried to bring him downstairs but I got two steps down the staircase before he was clawing at me to go back. Whenever the two are in a room together my cat hisses and growls and often bats him in the face. I've never seen her really hurt him but apparently whatever she's done to him has made him seriously freaked out.

Is there any way to fix this? Shes not like this with people or anything, shes very loving and affectionate.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Are both cats fixed? What are the approximate ages? Where did this other cat come from and what was its homelife like? Just because they didnt get introduced properly the first time doesn't mean you can't do it. Separate them and do the introduction process.

`Nemesis posted:

How do you "ship" a dog?

My wife has a cousin down in Dallas who is looking to give up a shih tzu, approx 14 months old.

Problem is, we're up in Wisconsin and we're not sure how to get the dog between locations.

You can fly a dog, but its considered cargo and probably gets treated the same as a suitcase. There are also services that will drive your animal to the location desired.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

How do you "ship" a dog?

Contact a cargo company like Delta DASH for more information. If you're doing it between the states it is immensely more easy than doing it internationally. I speak from :suicide: experience.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

2508084 posted:

Are both cats fixed? What are the approximate ages? Where did this other cat come from and what was its homelife like? Just because they didnt get introduced properly the first time doesn't mean you can't do it. Separate them and do the introduction process.

Yes, my cat is almost 7 and the other cat is a bit older, 9 or 10 I think, the other cat was a house cat and came from a pretty standard home. How 'separated' should they be before we could start the introduction process, and for how long?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

ankle posted:

Yes, my cat is almost 7 and the other cat is a bit older, 9 or 10 I think, the other cat was a house cat and came from a pretty standard home. How 'separated' should they be before we could start the introduction process, and for how long?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3169030 the cat and kitten megathread has a whole long thing about introductions. It can take a day, a week, a month, depending on how your cats progress.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Hm. So my friend was walking Rocky back and on my blocks corner, there was a cat... he does not like them and will chase, but she was pulling him back when the cat sauntered up to it and whapped him across the nose. Rocky then managed to get the cat into a corner and on the cats back but she pulled him off and it apparently wasnt a stray, the corner delis guy shood the cat into his basement or something.

The scratches are very superficial, he got some on his nose and face and lip but they were cleaned up, she showed me the spot and wow- his blood was splattered all over the concrete. What would you have done in that situation? I dont think I would have been prepared for a cat walking up to my dog- with me trying to control rocky going insane in the first place... kick the cat? Just keep pulling the dog away? Shoot- let the dog teach the cat a lesson >:\ ? I've never seen the cat before but I live very close to the corner so its annoying that theres gunna be a chance of Rocky encountering it again.

minor scratch, and a few others elsewhere

also, I noticed some claws today being bloody..one in the front, one in the back. Im not sure how he got them- maybe dragging/pulling on the leash. Are there any preventative things I can do to stop it from happening again? His claws always looked really super short to me.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

What thread are these avatars from? I see them everywhere an dkinda recognize that it's Trophy[right?] but don't recall the thread title. Sorry if it's obvious :|

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Wedemeyer posted:

What thread are these avatars from? I see them everywhere an dkinda recognize that it's Trophy[right?] but don't recall the thread title. Sorry if it's obvious :|

They're kind of randomly given out, although some people made and bought their own.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Yeah, its trophy. I got mine randomly. :3:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Trophy needs no thread. You are in Trophy Island.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Topoisomerase posted:

Trophy needs no thread. You are in Trophy Island.

You know what DOES need a thread? Genetics :colbert:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

notsoape posted:

You know what DOES need a thread? Genetics :colbert:

Man I have a half written post in a .doc on here it's just that I keep having to do other things.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I have a big Orange tom in my apartment complex. One of his ears is permanently pulled to his head which makes me think he has a bad case of ear mites. I can't take him to a vet, but would it be a bad idea to put mite drops in his ears?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

2508084 posted:

I have a big Orange tom in my apartment complex. One of his ears is permanently pulled to his head which makes me think he has a bad case of ear mites. I can't take him to a vet, but would it be a bad idea to put mite drops in his ears?

If his ear is curled up next to the head it's probably scarred that way, either from fight wounds or mites or something else. It would not be recommended to treat a mite infestation without one being actually suspected or diagnosed.

i forget
Jul 28, 2011
The past week or so, all my cats seem to do is fight. They've had their occasional spats in the past but very few and far between. They're both de-sexed and usually get along with each other swimmingly.

I had them seperated today while I was at work - I sectioned off the house by closing a connecting door and Pixel was in one half, with his own litter tray food and water, and Trinity had the same comforts in the other part of the house. It seems to have made a small difference as they're both sleeping near (but not next to) eachother on the floor next to me. Trin is still hissing at Pixel now and then, but the deep, back of the throat, growling has ceased.

I really don't know what to do. I don't want to keep separating them while I'm at work - Pixel's a crybaby and if he's left alone, he'll cry all day. Should I do it just for a couple of days, just to let them both have their own space for a while?

e: Trin is 3 years old and Pixel is 2. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
How serious are the fights? Unless you're seeing blood and some vicious stuff I wouldn't worry about the actual fighting. However, sudden stark behavioral changes aren't ever a good sign, and can be a sign of illness. Look into bringing both of them in since it's probably hard to tell who is starting what while you're gone.

i forget
Jul 28, 2011

Kerfuffle posted:

How serious are the fights? Unless you're seeing blood and some vicious stuff I wouldn't worry about the actual fighting. However, sudden stark behavioral changes aren't ever a good sign, and can be a sign of illness. Look into bringing both of them in since it's probably hard to tell who is starting what while you're gone.

They're fairly full on, but I say that not knowing how serious a cat-fight can actually be as they've never really fought before. Their behaviour towards us is the same as it always has been, they're still affectionate cuddlehoarders.

Could it possibly be a case of cabin fever? The weather has been horrible and I've not been able to take them out to exercise as often as I usually would. They have plenty of cat things around to entertain them, but could they still be bored?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Wedemeyer posted:

Oh, hey there :smug:

That thing I sent
May 27, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
Okay I'm sure the answer is going to come back as "Give up your dog since you're too stupid to own one" but...is it okay for dogs to eat egg shells? Spirit pulled a few out of the trash yesterday and had eaten probably 2 or 3 before I caught her and cleaned up the mess. Google is giving me answers ranging from "yes do it all the time!" to "yes but crush them real good first" to "No your dog will die of a heart attack" and I'm all :ohdear:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Eggshells are a good source of calcium actually, but yeah it's better to grind them because you never know. If it was a one-off I wouldn't worry about it unless the dog starts acting funny.

sixty ten
Jul 15, 2011
i have a question about my cat. she was hanging around our house and we took her in a few years ago.

we've never really seen one that's looked quite like her before. she's quite beautiful, she has that sandy colored fur all over with some really faint stripes, and those bright orange eyes.

does this look like some kind of specific breed? or is it just a pretty cat?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Just a pretty cat. Love those eyes. :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Usually you see that color described as "dilute" and it's just a shade of orange tabby.

I love them because they look like they just took a dust bath and if you wiped them off they'd be regular orange :3:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sixty ten posted:

i have a question about my cat. she was hanging around our house and we took her in a few years ago.

we've never really seen one that's looked quite like her before. she's quite beautiful, she has that sandy colored fur all over with some really faint stripes, and those bright orange eyes.

does this look like some kind of specific breed? or is it just a pretty cat?

That's what color my cat Ridley is, except his eyes are green-yellow. People call it cream or buff tabby. It's diluted orange, like grey is diluted black.

She's just a pretty cat. :)

grandma why
Sep 24, 2010

terrible
I have a question about squirrels. My grandparent's neighbors found, from what I heard, an injured/sick wild squirrel, and apparently nursed it back to health themselves. Now that it's recovered, they keep it locked up in a rather large cage in their yard. It seems to me that this squirrel has lost its mind from being constantly kept in solitary confinement. 95% of the time I look over the fence and at the cage, the squirrel is doing backflips from a raised platform in its cage, like in this video (about 30 secs in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asy9HUMScQA. And that's pretty much what it does all day. I feel this squirrel would be better off released back into the wild now that it's healthy.

My question is this: is this animal abuse, keeping a wild animal locked up like that?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

grandma why posted:

I have a question about squirrels. My grandparent's neighbors found, from what I heard, an injured/sick wild squirrel, and apparently nursed it back to health themselves. Now that it's recovered, they keep it locked up in a rather large cage in their yard. It seems to me that this squirrel has lost its mind from being constantly kept in solitary confinement. 95% of the time I look over the fence and at the cage, the squirrel is doing backflips from a raised platform in its cage, like in this video (about 30 secs in): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asy9HUMScQA. And that's pretty much what it does all day. I feel this squirrel would be better off released back into the wild now that it's healthy.

My question is this: is this animal abuse, keeping a wild animal locked up like that?
It is illegal to keep a wild squirrel as a pet in almost every state. You could call animal control.

grandma why
Sep 24, 2010

terrible

Crooked Booty posted:

It is illegal to keep a wild squirrel as a pet in almost every state. You could call animal control.

Forgot to mention I'm not from the States, err.. I should google some laws.

fake edit: Didn't find any specific Norwegian laws on squirrels in captivity, but some quotes from moonspeak forums suggest that keeping squirrels in a cage is illegal. Not sure if I feel comfortable calling the authorities on friends of my family; maybe I should just sneak down there in the middle of the night and cut a hole in the cage haha

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

grandma why posted:

Forgot to mention I'm not from the States, err.. I should google some laws.

fake edit: Didn't find any specific Norwegian laws on squirrels in captivity, but some quotes from moonspeak forums suggest that keeping squirrels in a cage is illegal. Not sure if I feel comfortable calling the authorities on friends of my family; maybe I should just sneak down there in the middle of the night and cut a hole in the cage haha

Honestly, I'd get the authorities involved. Considering how long he's been in captivity he may no longer be able to fend for himself and releasing him secretly may just mean that he attacks people (and is a threat), or that he starves to death, or is attacked by local squirrels for not knowing how to act right. :(

They should be able to take him to a wildlife rehabilitation place where they can work on re-acclimating him or keep him as an educational animal if that's not do-able.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Aigh! My dashing little rake Petey Poohheart is sick! He's a 1 year + old mutt, Pom/Chihuhua mix who has never been sick before, though I recently wrote about him having a skin problem. The eventual dx was flea allergies.He's on clavamox and prednisone, shown no signs of distress before.

Anyway, he is, as of about 3 PM this afternoon, suddenly *very* lethargic, quiet, sleeping, sitting with his eyes closed and looking ...timid, not his usual dashing self. he is normally alert and engaged, up and tearing around the backyard, playing, chasing squeak toys, etc, now he is so quiet and weak acting, barely wags his tail, etc.., he even growled at his best buddy dog when she approached him.He ate his usual breakfast, had water earlier today, seemed fine until this afternoon.

He has no vomiting or diarrhea, does not refuse his treats...he just acts so strange and sick. No life in him at all, just so tired and slow and he walks like it hurts him, if you know what I mean, like a little old man walks. He's just not right, there's something wrong with him, that's not his demeanor at all.

I have already talked to the vet and the animal emergency clinic and they have said to just keep an eye on him overnight and to bring him in if there's any vomiting or diarrhea or change in his behavior. He's sleeping now, just worrying me to death.
Has anyone got any ideas? He is not himself at all, his behavior change is as different as day and night.Something's off in him.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
To be honest there's a million things it could be, from constipation to a virus. If it were me I would keep an eye on him tonight and take him in to the vet tomorrow if he's still off.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

To be honest there's a million things it could be, from constipation to a virus. If it were me I would keep an eye on him tonight and take him in to the vet tomorrow if he's still off.

Yeah, my thoughts, too, it's just so hard to see him not feeling well. He's such a cheeky little scamp, seeing him so still and quiet and unwell is very worrying.

*Ah luvs mah Bebbe*

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
YAY he is eating, peeing and wagging again! He has been taking water as well, just some but it's better than the refusals last night. So relieved! I will watch him for the rest of the day and see how he does. Whatever he had, it appears to be going away.*phew*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Can anyone recommend good pressed rawhide (not knoted rawhide) bones I can get online? My dog loves them and the company I was getting them from has apparently discontinued theirs. I'd prefer ones that are high quality and unlikely to come apart in chunks she can swallow. Also made in the USA if at all possible. The ones we were getting were perfect, but oh well...