Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Bad news Fascinate folks: moving over to the CM7 Nightlies, on the 2.3.5 dev tree, breaks MMS again. =[

Edit: jt1134 has a fix that will be merged into the 2.3.5 codebase as soon as he gets approval from the CM7 team.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, that was pretty drat painless. Rooted my Evo 3D and am currently doing a nandroid in Clockwork.

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
After dealing with the poo poo that is my HTC Hero, I decided to say gently caress it, and make the phone worthwhile again.

Holy poo poo rooting it and getting the ROM on there was the easiest thing, why didn't I do it sooner.

Can safely overclock it to 768 for a much, much faster hero.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Pretty easy once I realized I hadn't installed the SDK yet. I am the dumb guy tonight.

NANDROIDed out of the twrp image, everything all backed up onto my home drive, called Sprint to clear up the Errors, and la dee da. Thanks, everyone!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Quick question for the people who had errors they needed to call Sprint about. Just for my own curiosity, did you take any updates beforehand? I didn't and my phone worked just fine afterwards without having to do that.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Kreeblah posted:

Quick question for the people who had errors they needed to call Sprint about. Just for my own curiosity, did you take any updates beforehand? I didn't and my phone worked just fine afterwards without having to do that.

I was on 1.4.0, but I think the problem happened when I booted back up to put the su files on, I go a couple profile updates.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

CM7 RC1.4 is out now for the Thunderbolt. Of course I can't find a changelog anywhere. From what I've read, it's 2.3.5 and fixes some mic and headset issues.

Edit: I'm using it right now. Nothing new to report.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 30, 2011

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

I installed the latest official updates on my evo3d right before doing the s-off fix, and didn't have any problems.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
So...is it possible to install CM7 on a samsung galaxy s 2?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

So...is it possible to install CM7 on a samsung galaxy s 2?

Nightlies have begun, but there's no RC yet.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
So my original question got answered thoroughly but now my next is...

I have an HTC Evo 4G running Android 2.3.3

Am I hosed?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have the package for the 7/25 build of CM7, which I believe is the last stable build before the nightlies? I went a long time without MMS and when I got it back it was thrilling, I hate losing it again. Else I'll have to go all the way back to 7/17.

Edit: Or be a trooper on the bleeding edge but since I'm not testing or working on the nightlies I'd rather be running a daily driver.

Edit2: My fiancee has informed me that I do in fact want to be on the bleeding edge so be prepared for updates about how nightlies broke my phone.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 30, 2011

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city
I've been running 2.3.3 on my Galaxy S for quite some time now, but I feel like it'd be nice to try something different. I have two questions:

I haven't bothered with any backups (besides a nandroid image, sms etc.) when I tried out different ROMs before. I'd like to back up some application data (installing with appbrain should be easy) from stuff like Angry Birds - Titanium should be right for this kind of stuff, right?

Second, what do people use right now? I like smooth, minimalistic UIs and value speed and battery life over flashiness. I've read conflicting info about CM7, especially regarding it's battery usage. Should I just stick with stock + some kind of a modified kernel if speed & battery are what I'm after?

Thanks!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jack Flint posted:

I've been running 2.3.3 on my Galaxy S for quite some time now, but I feel like it'd be nice to try something different. I have two questions:

I haven't bothered with any backups (besides a nandroid image, sms etc.) when I tried out different ROMs before. I'd like to back up some application data (installing with appbrain should be easy) from stuff like Angry Birds - Titanium should be right for this kind of stuff, right?

Second, what do people use right now? I like smooth, minimalistic UIs and value speed and battery life over flashiness. I've read conflicting info about CM7, especially regarding it's battery usage. Should I just stick with stock + some kind of a modified kernel if speed & battery are what I'm after?

Thanks!

Go back a few pages and look at my screenshots of MIUI, it gets decent battery life and has good speed. As for the minimalistic UI, it basically keeps everything on the homescreens like an iPhone sort of arrangement for organization into folders. Unless you use a custom launcher, it's about as minimalistic as you can get (no app drawer, etc).

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Ok, so my wife got an Incredible 2 and I'd really like to get it rooted. Got on xda forums and got pretty lost. Read some stuff about s-off (?). Also, read that it's bad if the phone is updated to GB, however it came with 2.3.3 on it. Still possible or will I have to downgrade?

I'm still in the same boat. I just received a replacement DInc2 from Verizon preloaded with 2.3.3. I've scoured the internets for 2 days and haven't found any signs of root, s-off, or downgrading yet.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Revolution got fixed last night to include .0008 TMobile US built Sensations.
- S-OFF
- Flashed recovery through Revolution
- nandroid back up
- Flashed su binary
- Installed root tools (superuser, TB, etc)

Awesome. Now to wait for some trimmed down ROM's.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Did anyone have an issue with their EVO 3D after using Revolutionary with calls and SMS? I get an error message recording when trying to make calls, incoming calls go to voicemail, and SMS fails both directions. 3G and 4G both work fine. Strangely enough everything works when I'm connected to an Airave.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
For anyone interested, it looks like the Motorola Triumph is just a few days away from having ClockWork Recovery. With an unlocked bootloader, it should be running CM7 and other custom ROMs in no time.

Technically, they've already got CWM working, but the process is kind of complicated. I'm waiting for a flashable zip or apk before trying it out.

Nupraptor fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 30, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Did anyone have an issue with their EVO 3D after using Revolutionary with calls and SMS? I get an error message recording when trying to make calls, incoming calls go to voicemail, and SMS fails both directions. 3G and 4G both work fine. Strangely enough everything works when I'm connected to an Airave.

Supposedly if you get this you just need to sit on a call long enough and it will eventually dump you to Sprint. Apparently whatever happened in the root makes the phone reactivate itself; mine went through the hands-free activation, profile, and PRL updates as soon as I finished rooting it.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Supposedly if you get this you just need to sit on a call long enough and it will eventually dump you to Sprint. Apparently whatever happened in the root makes the phone reactivate itself; mine went through the hands-free activation, profile, and PRL updates as soon as I finished rooting it.

Do you mean make a call without the Airave, stay on the call despite the error message, and it will eventually go through?

Edit: I tried making a call and after the initial message it said to call a number for my service provider and then ing up on me. I tried using the Sprint Zone page to update my profile which seemed to go through, but doesn't fix the problem. I just find it odd it works on an Airave.

Edit 2: after reading up on XDA I called Sprint to have them refresh my phone on the network and everything is good now.

letsgoflyers81 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 30, 2011

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, earlier today I manually updated my X2 to P3Droid's pre-rooted version of GB. Everything seemed to go over without an issue....except one thing. Now, whenever I reboot my phone, my phone says "Preparing SD Card, checking for errors" for 15min or more. After it finally finishes doing it's thing, everything runs buttery smooth and all of my apps/data seem to be present, but I can't figure out why it's doing that for the life of me! It's also rebooted twice now during that 15min window. I never had either of these issues til I updated and, once I get passed the waiting, everything seems peachy. Any ideas?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Do you mean make a call without the Airave, stay on the call despite the error message, and it will eventually go through?

Edit: I tried making a call and after the initial message it said to call a number for my service provider and then ing up on me. I tried using the Sprint Zone page to update my profile which seemed to go through, but doesn't fix the problem. I just find it odd it works on an Airave.

Edit 2: after reading up on XDA I called Sprint to have them refresh my phone on the network and everything is good now.

You guys have balls of steel. After the EVO 4g rooting mess that messed up 4g, I'm waiting a week to run s-off on my 3D to make sure it doesn't ruin my phone.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

XIII posted:

So, earlier today I manually updated my X2 to P3Droid's pre-rooted version of GB. Everything seemed to go over without an issue....except one thing. Now, whenever I reboot my phone, my phone says "Preparing SD Card, checking for errors" for 15min or more. After it finally finishes doing it's thing, everything runs buttery smooth and all of my apps/data seem to be present, but I can't figure out why it's doing that for the life of me! It's also rebooted twice now during that 15min window. I never had either of these issues til I updated and, once I get passed the waiting, everything seems peachy. Any ideas?

At a guess, either you have lots of crap on your SD card or your SD card is dying. Try another blank SD card and see if that works.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

I tried to root my HTC Incredible S using AlphaRevX, but when I reached the step where you need to select "Recovery" in hboot, it just gets stuck on the white htc screen. I can't update to Gingerbread or factory reset it, the same thing happens.

Goddamn how did I screw this up :(

EDIT: To clarify, I still can start up the phone, install apps and all that. I just can't do any of the above. :argh:

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 31, 2011

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Go back a few pages and look at my screenshots of MIUI, it gets decent battery life and has good speed. As for the minimalistic UI, it basically keeps everything on the homescreens like an iPhone sort of arrangement for organization into folders. Unless you use a custom launcher, it's about as minimalistic as you can get (no app drawer, etc).

Cheers, MIUI seems cool but screwed up my IMEI and parts of menus seemed to be in Chinese so I guess that's out then. Then when restoring the nandroid backup my phone gets stuck at the Galaxy S -screen. I guess it's a reminder why I stayed away from modding for a while... Now, just need to try to get a working recovery mode again. Luckily download mode & odin still work.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

XIII posted:

Rohaq posted:

At a guess, either you have lots of crap on your SD card or your SD card is dying. Try another blank SD card and see if that works.

Specifically, if you have a lot of apps moved to the SD card, it can take a long time for the phone to start up. Try moving some/all apps back to internal storage (if you have the room) and see what happens. 15 minutes is pretty excessive even if you have twenty apps on the SD card, though.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jack Flint posted:

Cheers, MIUI seems cool but screwed up my IMEI and parts of menus seemed to be in Chinese so I guess that's out then. Then when restoring the nandroid backup my phone gets stuck at the Galaxy S -screen. I guess it's a reminder why I stayed away from modding for a while... Now, just need to try to get a working recovery mode again. Luckily download mode & odin still work.

I'm sorry to hear all that. Odin is pretty amazing at least. These things are virtually impossible to hard brick. I also found that yellow recovery has an option under advanced to make Odin backups, which would be more secure even than a nandroid backup, so if you're on a tree that has yellow recovery, that's worth considering before a major overhaul.

Sucks that MIUI didn't work out for you. I recently moved back to CM7 nightlies just to see what the deal was, but I think I'm about to MIUI my fiancee's phone later today.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

I'm sorry to hear all that. Odin is pretty amazing at least. These things are virtually impossible to hard brick. I also found that yellow recovery has an option under advanced to make Odin backups, which would be more secure even than a nandroid backup, so if you're on a tree that has yellow recovery, that's worth considering before a major overhaul.

Sucks that MIUI didn't work out for you. I recently moved back to CM7 nightlies just to see what the deal was, but I think I'm about to MIUI my fiancee's phone later today.

Odin backups sound great, will def. do that next time I get bored and try out modding again. Will see if I get around to trying MIUI again; the IMEI thing seems to be a pretty common occurence and should be fixed if I downgraded to Froyo and go from there. We'll see.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Holy poo poo I don't have my Fascinate anymore but Odin backups sound amazing. I wish RSD Lite played as nicely with my computer as Odin does.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Anyone having issues with the 3D s-off yet?
4g still working? I have some titanium backups I want to restore but I'm not feeling too daring yet.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Rohaq posted:

I've got a little less than 3Gbs of stuff on there, which I wouldn't consider very much. It's the same 16Gb card from my Droid 1, so it could just be old, but it's never done this til I updated yesterday

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
4G's pretty much the one thing I haven't tried since there are a bunch of skyscrapers at work and I live in an apartment building that kills the signal. Everything else seems fine, though.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

900ftjesus posted:

Anyone having issues with the 3D s-off yet?
4g still working? I have some titanium backups I want to restore but I'm not feeling too daring yet.

After running the exploit you'll probably have to get on the phone with Customer Care to get phone calls and text messages working again. :haw:

Other than that, everything seems to be working fine including 4G and camera stuff.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have 4G but everything else is working flawlessly, and I didn't have to call anyone, my phone auto updated it's profile and registered and all that poo poo automatically.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't have 4G but everything else is working flawlessly, and I didn't have to call anyone, my phone auto updated it's profile and registered and all that poo poo automatically.

Reading through XDA, it looks like there's a possibility of it triggering an anti-fraud mechanism in Sprint's network. Nothing to do with the phone, you just call and ask for an HRL Refresh and it's back to working again.

EDIT: Happened to me, your first phone call will automatically call Sprint and they'll fix it for you.

Any links to a rooted version of the Evo 3D OTA? I don't really want to update the hboot unless I have to since I'm still on 1.30.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 31, 2011

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Has anyone dared to install any of the 3Ds custom ROMs?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

None seem worth the trouble so far.

But this guy is back in action.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Stunt Rock posted:

There aren't any of value yet, just some bloat removal and themes. I'm waiting until there's one that interests me like Fresh.

Efb

Fake edit: 4G works fine after root.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

900ftjesus posted:

None seem worth the trouble so far.

But this guy is back in action.

I didn't know it was possible to turn a forum post into a geocities page but he manages to every. single. time. he. posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

900ftjesus posted:

Reading through XDA, it looks like there's a possibility of it triggering an anti-fraud mechanism in Sprint's network. Nothing to do with the phone, you just call and ask for an HRL Refresh and it's back to working again.

EDIT: Happened to me, your first phone call will automatically call Sprint and they'll fix it for you.

Any links to a rooted version of the Evo 3D OTA? I don't really want to update the hboot unless I have to since I'm still on 1.30.

I think this is the latest OTA. It's a rooted stock ROM, anyway.

And as far as the bootloader goes, it wouldn't be a bad idea to flash the ENG bootloader. If you end up setting S-ON for whatever reason (to take it in for service, I guess), re-flash to a SHIP bootloader since these phones won't boot with S-ON and an ENG bootloader.