Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
We had a few QA people from Activision come in-house in the last few months, but the majority of QA was beng done off-site by Activision somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Boogle posted:

I always wondered why they went with Source instead of something off-the-shelf like the Unreal engine. I'm no veteran project manager, but it might have saved valuable development time using something like that instead of something new and untested.
There's a lot of persistent fuzz surrounding Unreal wrt. whether or not it can do an RPG without a TON of re-engineering (ie. without being Bioware). It's one of the reasons our company is going UE3 with our RPG hybrid... it's possible, drat it, and it's a great engine.

(Though to be fair, it has become increasing more possible over the years. Back when Troika was looking, UE3 wasn't out, and Unreal at that point was indeed very FPS-facing - that was before even Bioware/Mass Effect, etc)

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, I take that back, I was more talking about Obsidian there then Troika, and comparing Troika to Obsidian is just insulting to Troika. :smugbert:
That isn't fair either. Obsidian has a lot of the same problems that plagued Troika - they keep getting stuck in impossible schedules that lead to half-finished products. The big difference is that Obsidian managed to land New Vegas and is seemingly starting to grow and stabilize, whereas Troika got stuck between EA and Valve in a really poo poo conundrum that killed their company.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 31, 2011

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
We had already started on the game using source by the time the awesome tech demo videos of UE3 came out. I don't think it was an option simply due to the timing of when development started. UE3 wasn't "off the shelf" at all when they started on the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

marshmonkey posted:

We had a few QA people from Activision come in-house in the last few months, but the majority of QA was beng done off-site by Activision somewhere.

That really sucks... I seriously do not understand how more devs don't actively push against the big boys like Activision and EA that keep running this industry into the ground and ruining awesome dev houses... it makes me wish that some form of conglomeration of like-minded development houses would get together and form their own publishing company that isn't poo poo, but then I remember GOD and how horribly that ended up... maybe as digital distribution becomes more and more mainstream, we'll finally see something like this come about and be successful, because it's loving atrocious as it is nowadays.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Fuzz posted:

That really sucks... I seriously do not understand how more devs don't actively push against the big boys like Activision and EA that keep running this industry into the ground and ruining awesome dev houses... it makes me wish that some form of conglomeration of like-minded development houses would get together and form their own publishing company that isn't poo poo, but then I remember GOD and how horribly that ended up... maybe as digital distribution becomes more and more mainstream, we'll finally see something like this come about and be successful, because it's loving atrocious as it is nowadays.

Developers have a much better bargaining position these days, you have to remember that back when this game was made, games basically didn't happen without a fat cheque from a publisher. This was before digital distribution existed as a major force (or a smorgasbord of free and awesome tech). Troika did push back on a lot of poo poo dealt to it by publishers, but that only gave them a worse reputation to other publishers who would see it as Troika being hard to work with.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

iamnotcreative posted:

I installed the CQM and after playing for a bit realized that combat was ridiculous. It seems I accidentally installed the two difficulty patches however I can't find any way to uninstall them. I've gone so far as to delete my local content from steam and reinstall Vampire, but when I run the CQM setup it tells me the difficulty mods are installed and continuing won't uninstall them.

How in the hell does the CQM installer know what was previously installed?

Deleting it through steam won't take out the non-steam stuff. You actually have to go into the directory it's installed to and delete the mods manually. This is made easier if you've already deleted the steam stuff since everything left is the mod stuff.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Black Eagle posted:

• Get either the latest Wesp5 patch or the latest Clan Quest Mod here.

• If you have a widescreen monitor, get the widescreen patch.

• If you see low-resolution graphics in-game, get the shader patch to enable high-resolution graphics.

• If you can't start the game due to a 15 MB memory error, get the memory error patch.

• If you see a black screen when you launch the game, make sure that you set the following compatibility settings on vampire.exe: Windows XP (Service Pack 3), disable visual themes, disable desktop composition, and run this program as administrator.

• If you bought the game on Steam and would prefer to launch the game directly from the executable, head over to GameCopyWorld and pick up the non-Steam binaries.

• If you have problems with alt-tabbing out of the game, set up Vampire for windowed mode and install GameCompanion for fake fullscreen mode (requires windowed mode).

• Finally, if you installed the Clan Quest Mod with the Camarilla option and you want histories, install the histories mod. Don't forget to modify config.cfg as the last step to enable histories.

Thank you so much for this. Just one more question: Where do I install these patches? I bought Bloodlines today off Steam as it was on sale and have no idea where it was installed, so the fanpatch and memory patch can't find what they need to update and I still can't play. :(

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Steam > Steamapps > Common > Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines, widescreen patch goes in the Bin folder (maybe the resolution patch too, haven't used it).

I just got to the end of Santa Monica and I've got to say, I honestly didn't see Tourette coming. Somehow. It seems obvious in hindsight. I must have been too captivated by the great voice acting and facial animations to catch on. They're definitely the high point of the game so far.

Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*

marshmonkey posted:

Huh. Renaming the file extension .wav doesn't give me a file VLC or Windows Media Player can play. I'm vaguely disappointed now, was hoping for a quote from my favourite fatty fat fictional videogame bartender.

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

Liesmith posted:

Deleting it through steam won't take out the non-steam stuff. You actually have to go into the directory it's installed to and delete the mods manually. This is made easier if you've already deleted the steam stuff since everything left is the mod stuff.

I did all that and it still told me I had mods installed. However I went ahead with the install anyway and the difficulty mods (as well as some alternate character models I selected) were gone. So who knows where it gets the info; it certainly isn't from the install path.

Now I just need to figure out how to deal with these assholes with shotguns

ButteryNoodles
Jul 18, 2006
Deliciously satisfactory.

quote:

If you can't start the game due to a 15 MB memory error, get the memory error patch.

Mirror for this? Site ain't loading and doing a Google search just brings up threads with people wondering why the game doesn't run and/or answers that don't work.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

ButteryNoodles posted:

Mirror for this? Site ain't loading and doing a Google search just brings up threads with people wondering why the game doesn't run and/or answers that don't work.

Did switching it to Windows XP compatibility mode not fix it for you? That is all I had to do. No patch needed. Maybe I lucked out or something.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

marshmonkey posted:

UE3 wasn't "off the shelf" at all when they started on the game.
I asked Feargus Urquhart about the use and challenges of different engines for Obsidian's games. Referring to Alpha Protocol, he said, "UE3 is much more than just a renderer. When it comes to all of the things that make an RPG tick, it has never needed to have them. [...] We could create levels that functioned, but they functioned for a game like Gears of War and not what we were ultimately trying to create." Obviously, I can't excerpt entire passages from the book just yet, but I will say that what he was describing was a pipeline problem: when you have tools like UE3, there's a tendency to underestimate the work that you need to do to make an RPG with those tools, so you end up building all of the content for your game before you have the systems in place.

marshmonkey posted:

Troika did push back on a lot of poo poo dealt to it by publishers, but that only gave them a worse reputation to other publishers who would see it as Troika being hard to work with.
According to Tim Cain, that was Leonard Boyarsky who did much of the pushing back, but Activision ultimately prevailed because they didn't want to put any more money into the game. The fascinating story of Troika is really one of being pushed around -- in negotiations, on schedules, and finding new business -- due to the lack of business leadership. The cofounders were game developers who wanted to make games, not manage and grow a company. That attitude permeated every aspect of Troika, and in the end, they couldn't make an RPG their next title, so they shut down.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ButteryNoodles posted:

Here's a mirror for several patches:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9z8bnt5203od3

I also included non-Steam binaries from GCW, empty .bik files to replace the intro movies, and the 4 GB patch, which works on any 32-bit .exe for any game or application.

Kaelitz
Jan 30, 2009
I'd just like to point out that the Wesp5 patch contains various fixes and tools in it. I didn't have to download the widescreen resolution fix (the tool was made available to me in the patch folders), and installing the Wesp5 patch fixed the 15MB error.
I launch with a black screen, but it's just for the company logos. Listening and clicking through the 4 brings up the main menu promptly, and everything's groovy from there.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Sorry if this has been answered before, but I just got the game off Steam and installed the Wesp patch. The sounds in the game sound echo-y and tinny. Is there a fix for that? Or is it because it's an older game?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PunkBoy posted:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I just got the game off Steam and installed the Wesp patch. The sounds in the game sound echo-y and tinny. Is there a fix for that? Or is it because it's an older game?
Disable environmental sounds in the in-game options.

Kaelitz posted:

I'd just like to point out that the Wesp5 patch contains various fixes and tools in it. I didn't have to download the widescreen resolution fix (the tool was made available to me in the patch folders), and installing the Wesp5 patch fixed the 15MB error.
I launch with a black screen, but it's just for the company logos. Listening and clicking through the 4 brings up the main menu promptly, and everything's groovy from there.
I downloaded the game from Steam, installed the Clan Quest Mod which includes a version of the Wesp5 patch, and I still experienced the 15MB memory error on load. Your mileage may differ, and so that's why there are other patches.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
From a personal perspective, I find it such a shame that Tim Cain ended up going to the MMORPG route instead of continuing with single-player cRPGs. He wasn't as heavily involved in Bloodlines (which I think you can tell) but both Fallout and Arcanum are games that are *all* about player freedom. Not the type of stuff something like Oblivion where you're free to go where you wish, but freedom to interact with the world and characters. Freedom to *really* create a character of your own.

New Vegas hits that mark pretty good for me though I still think the skill point economy is way off and unfortunately makes characters feel rather samey when you get to the higher levels, even though they improved it a lot from Fallout 3 (though the DLCs and level cap getting raised just waters it down more IMO).

Bloodlines actually annoyed me quite a lot because of how many plot-locked doors you can encounter and all that, it wasn't at all what I wanted from Troika. But the well done setting, writing and atmosphere won me over.

But gently caress, I really miss the Troika spirit of making games. There's a reason why their three games all received cult followings (some bigger, some smaller).

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Leinadi posted:

From a personal perspective, I find it such a shame that Tim Cain ended up going to the MMORPG route instead of continuing with single-player cRPGs. He wasn't as heavily involved in Bloodlines (which I think you can tell)
Tim recently left Carbine Studios and hasn't announced any plans yet. He was also involved with Bloodlines two years after it started development, providing programming leadership and working on areas of the code, including creature AI and file packing issues.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I didn't know he had left Carbine, that's interesting news. I really hope he will get into designing cRPGs again but I guess we'll see.

And yeah, I meant mainly in a design role. Bloodlines just feels very different than Fallout or Arcanum, and even ToEE in its overarching design.

Your book looks interesting btw.

Kaelitz
Jan 30, 2009

Black Eagle posted:

I downloaded the game from Steam, installed the Clan Quest Mod which includes a version of the Wesp5 patch, and I still experienced the 15MB memory error on load. Your mileage may differ, and so that's why there are other patches.
The CQM contains an older version of Wesp5's patch. I should have clarified that I installed Wesp5's 7.6b, whereas the QCM contains ... 7.3? That may be where the difference lies. But you're right, it could have been something different. Either way, I didn't install something specifically to address the 15MB error--and I did receive it initially before adding Wesp5's patch.

Kaelitz fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 31, 2011

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Sort of posted this in the wrong place in the Steam thread, but thought I'd crosspost it in the correct place:

I wasn't sure at first with VtM:BL and I feel like I sort of like it, and I'm constantly acutely aware that, graphically, it looks like poo poo. So why is it now 10:20pm and the last time I checked it was about 3?

My character is a sexy lady vampire woman haxx0r who basically charms everyone in sight, sucks their necks dry then haxxez their puter for their filez. Not a typical goon's RPG character at all.

To be fair, I wasn't going to make her a haxxor but there are so many computers everywhere that I couldn't get into that it seemed silly not to develop the hacking skill.

Also, I have to say, despite the game's age, the Ocean Hotel was done pretty loving well. I was impressed.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
I accidentally hit arthur with a sword, and then I fed on him in an attempt to calm him down so I could talk to him again. He was in a zombie-like state and I went about my business doing the last of the santa monica questline. I came back to talk to him a little while later and he was freaking out again, scared of me because I hacked him with a sword.

Is there any way to get him to calm down so I can wrap up this quest? Any console commands or anything?

Edit: After wrestling with commands to try and reset him, I gave up and went back about an hour of gameplay and noclip'd through the story again.

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 31, 2011

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This game is $5 on Steam right now, if anyone has been thinking about playing it you should get it because it's an awesome RPG.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

marshmonkey posted:

Here and I was wondering if you were still around.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Just clicked on this thread to see what was up, I play through Bloodlines every few years. And holy poo poo, it's on sale for $5 this weekend, serendipity!

e: Dumb question - is there any way for Steam to not ask me how old I am every time I look at an M-rated game? Like, shouldn't I just have to enter my birthday once?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Blackula69 posted:

Just clicked on this thread to see what was up, I play through Bloodlines every few years. And holy poo poo, it's on sale for $5 this weekend, serendipity!

e: Dumb question - is there any way for Steam to not ask me how old I am every time I look at an M-rated game? Like, shouldn't I just have to enter my birthday once?

Nope, you have to enter it every time.

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

Black Eagle posted:

Make sure the Clan Quest Mod installs to the correct directory. When I first installed it on 64 bit Windows 7 the pathing defaulted to C:\Program Files\Steam NOT C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\. OP you should probably put this in bold in the installation instruction section of your post as it's a really easy mistake to make.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

iamnotcreative posted:

Make sure the Clan Quest Mod installs to the correct directory. When I first installed it on 64 bit Windows 7 the pathing defaulted to C:\Program Files\Steam NOT C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\. OP you should probably put this in bold in the installation instruction section of your post as it's a really easy mistake to make.
Whaddya know? You're right. I didn't even realize that, and I'm pretty good about checking where things go. Looking at the "clean install" directory, Clan Quest Mod comes with the relevant DLLs already patched for the high-resolution graphics and memory error.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Blackula69 posted:

You have to do it every time but it's not like it checks up on what you enter. I just click the year drop box, scroll up with the mouse wheel quick and click.

As far as Steam is concerned I'm born on January 1st somewhere between 1900 and 1980 but it changes every time!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

iamnotcreative posted:

... people actually install Steam to their Program Files directory? For that matter, there are people that are on Windows that DON'T partition away the majority of their space so it's not on C: and C: remains the system drive with a minimum of poo poo on it?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Welp, bought this two days ago and just finished with the first downtown bit. I still find fighting bosses a bit hit and miss and crowds of dudes with guns gently caress me up quite often before I can use purge on them but then fire axing my way through gangs of thralls with Source 0.5 gibs and physics everywhere is very entertaining.

This is the first time I've made it past santa monics and it's a shame I didn't do it back when I still thought this was a relatively good looking game :) I'm glad I finally got round to going a bit farther with it though. It's come to the point where I have to stop myself playing.

edit: I'm a weak and magicky Tremere am I? gently caress YOOOOOU you get a FIRE AXE to the HEEEIIIDD

addendum: this does NOT always work. I wonder why.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 1, 2011

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Edit: Followed instructions in this thread. Failure to find steam err on startup. Followed all the instructions here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2025035&page=1. Still failure to find steam err on startup. I've reinstalled this game a dozen times now. I officially give up.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 1, 2011

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
Just happened to walk down a tiny obscure area next to the Confession club and happened upon what appeared to be some chick giving head to a businessman. This game is hilarious and awesome especially considering how old it is.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fuzz posted:

... people actually install Steam to their Program Files directory? For that matter, there are people that are on Windows that DON'T partition away the majority of their space so it's not on C: and C: remains the system drive with a minimum of poo poo on it?

Is this where I raise my hand?

In fairness, my C:/ drive is actually a small (100 gb) partition that exists only for a few games at a time on my MacBook Pro. Having two NTFS partitions seems silly and excessive on a machine that stays in Mac OS X 90% of the time.

On that note, has anyone tried running Bloodlines via Parallels or VMWare? I'm curious how it runs. It'd be nice to have another game that doesn't need a reboot.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Moridin920 posted:

This game is $5 on Steam right now, if anyone has been thinking about playing it you should get it because it's an awesome RPG.

There is no excuse not to buy this game at this price.

Hell, I own it already and I bought it anyways through Steam for the ease of not having to deal with installing it from a CD.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Roberto_Silencio posted:

There is no excuse not to buy this game at this price.

Hell, I own it already and I bought it anyways through Steam for the ease of not having to deal with installing it from a CD.

I think the fact that the game is literally unplayable without a ton of monkeying around with compatibility modes and unofficial patches, and after that may still not work is a pretty good excuse. This game is seriously pissing me off. It seems like every time I buy some non-indie game from steam I have to put up with hours of bullshit before it actually works.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

I think the fact that the game is literally unplayable without a ton of monkeying around with compatibility modes and unofficial patches, and after that may still not work is a pretty good excuse. This game is seriously pissing me off. It seems like every time I buy some non-indie game from steam I have to put up with hours of bullshit before it actually works.

Dunno man, I'm all on windows 7 etc. and it worked almost without a hitch for me, barring the blurry ui thing that took me about a minute to find the fix for. Installing the indie patch (5 min download) again took no time, considering how old it is and how buggy it was on release.

Edit: I can only say that you should stick with it, it's an ugly game but a very good one :)

NLJP fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 1, 2011

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Dienes posted:

Edit: Followed instructions in this thread. Failure to find steam err on startup. Followed all the instructions here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2025035&page=1. Still failure to find steam err on startup. I've reinstalled this game a dozen times now. I officially give up.

I will not read the thread, but if you start the game from within Steam instead of an icon, it might fix your problem. It did for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

Hold on, I thought PC gaming was for people who enjoy monkeying around trying to get a game to work and then losing interest in it before making any significant progress.

• Locked thread