Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Just finished watching Children of the Stones. It was really good.

It's a seven episode children's sci-fi show that was released in 1977. COTS is about an astrophysicist and his son moving to a village so that the father can conduct some research although through a series of mysterious enigmas some wiggy poo poo happens. It makes me want more stuff like this though there isn't much chance that Big Cook Little Cook will discuss leylines and black holes any time soon I imagine.

At parts it reminded me of Threads and Survivors, though I think that was generally because of the whole filming in a britain that doesn't exist any more. I'd like to watch Ace of Wands and The Mad Death next I think. Anybody else have any suggestions something like it?

justcola fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Did anyone watch Dragons Den last night? The new Dragon looks pretty much like a real life Cruella De Vil.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Did anyone watch Penn and Teller on Saturday? I thought the trick where the guy managed to put Penn's card into a seemingly sealed pack of card was really great, especially as he did it right in front of Penn and still fooled both of them.

It did make me wonder how smart the audience was when only a few of them seemed to realise the black guy in sun glasses wasn't obviously someone wearing a rubber mask. That whole trick was awful, especially when it was really obvious the numbers in the bowl didn't relate to any in the audience. Probably the worse trick I've seen on there.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brown Moses posted:

Did anyone watch Penn and Teller on Saturday? I thought the trick where the guy managed to put Penn's card into a seemingly sealed pack of card was really great, especially as he did it right in front of Penn and still fooled both of them.

It did make me wonder how smart the audience was when only a few of them seemed to realise the black guy in sun glasses wasn't obviously someone wearing a rubber mask. That whole trick was awful, especially when it was really obvious the numbers in the bowl didn't relate to any in the audience. Probably the worse trick I've seen on there.

I felt like an idiot afterward - I knew there was something weird about him, but I apparently failed to notice he was an entirely fake person.

It was well-presented, I guess, but really the worst kind of magic. No impressive effect, and at the end of the trick he actually reveals how it's done just to be a bit more impressive. It felt like he just HAD to show off, even at the expense of the trick itself. It was pretty easy to guess how the numbers and envelopes worked anyway, but to then outright admit you're using stooges? The cheapest, least artistic magic effect there is?

The sealed card trick guy was amazing, though. Not so much the other card guy - he was OK and I guess he sorta fooled P&T, but I saw a bunch of his moves.

Fool Us has been great entertainment, though. Hope another series gets commissioned.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That's the last episode until Christmas, when they'll have two specials, one of which will look at how the winners got on in Vegas.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

henpod posted:

Did anyone watch Dragons Den last night? The new Dragon looks pretty much like a real life Cruella De Vil.

Those are shoulderpads right? Because she just looks wrong on the ads. Like, misassembled. She also seemed to have the posture of a zombie.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

During the show she did sort of look like she might actually be a puppet being controlled by half a dozen of Jim Henson's best men.

But she also had some of the best lines in the episode. She's way more entertaining than James Caan ever was.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
To be fair, she did have a stroke a few years back, or so I hear.

True about the best lines though, she got a lot more technical about websites than I've ever seen on Dragon's Den before. Never thought the Dragons would ask what language a site was written in.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
:pwn:Tell me what you need
:confused:Marketing and
:pwn:Move on what next
:confused:Strategy with
:pwn:move on, next

Let the man speak!

But yes, she is way better than Caan. Theo is still the king in there though. Duncan just seems to be getting surlier and more pissed off.

henpod fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 1, 2011

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, Bannatyne was snippy as hell. I couldn't believe he cut that guy off for trying to negotiate the best offer he could.

Brown Moses posted:

That's the last episode until Christmas, when they'll have two specials, one of which will look at how the winners got on in Vegas.

Penn's Twitter said the same, then he corrected himself to say there's an episode next week. Now I don't know what to believe.

Edit: ah, he recorrected - there's an episode on Aug 27, then a Christmas special.

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 1, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ronnie Corbett's Comedy Britain is on next week instead.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Leovinus posted:

Yeah, Bannatyne was snippy as hell. I couldn't believe he cut that guy off for trying to negotiate the best offer he could.

At least it's better than the US one. They're showing it on Dave and the cunts on that show rarely accept anything less than a controlling percentage of the individual's business. It's loving sickening.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

henpod posted:

:pwn:Tell me what you need
:confused:Marketing and
:pwn:Move on what next
:confused:Strategy with
:pwn:move on, next

Let the man speak!

But yes, she is way better than Caan. Theo is still the king in there though. Duncan just seems to be getting surlier and more pissed off.

Yeah, I'd hate to go into business with someone that just literally wouldn't let me finish a sentence. She makes Deborah look like a pussycat. Peter Jones is totally still the dreamiest though...

And girl needs to lose those shoulderpads, ouch.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Kin posted:

At least it's better than the US one. They're showing it on Dave and the cunts on that show rarely accept anything less than a controlling percentage of the individual's business. It's loving sickening.
After chatting to someone who has been on Dragon's Den, unsurprisingly the final deal you will be offered isn't representative of what you see on TV. Even aside from due-diligence etc. it turns out that what they're offering is actually equity-based loans.

i.e you give them some equity in exchange for a loan of however much money. You still have to pay the loan back, but they keep the equity.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Is it me or did they bollox up the Latin on The Hour?

I'm pretty sure terrere means 'to seize' not 'seize!', and that it should be at the end of the sentence...

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

BeeZee142 posted:

And girl needs to lose those shoulderpads, ouch.

Seriously, she's like Dynasty meets Dragonball Z.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I hope somebody else enjoyed My Life as a Turkey on BBC2 as much as me earlier. It's was Natural World special about a biologist who lived with some wild turkeys and took on the role of mother hen to them after they hatched until they eventually flew the coop. It sounds a bit weird, and a bit poo poo, but it wasn't and it was just adorable and hilarious watching this guy walk about the northern Florida wilderness with a flock of feathered raptors in tow.

N3RDSTER fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 1, 2011

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

N3RDSTER posted:

I hope somebody else enjoyed My Life as a Turkey on BBC2 earlier. It's was Natural World special about a biologist who lived with some wild turkeys and took on the role of mother hen to them after they hatched until they eventually flew the coop. It sounds a bit weird, and a bit poo poo, but it wasn't and it was just adorable and hilarious watching this guy walk about the northern Florida wilderness with a flock of feathered raptors in tow.

I caught it and found it quite moving. It was beautifully shot and scored, and the fact that the guy himself was the narrator and sole human in the thing made it feel like it was some strange, half-real, half-mythic folktale. The guy certainly didn't seem like he was entirely part of the modern day world, that was for sure.

devildriven
Oct 29, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

About Lee/Herring, I just want more of this.

Thank you for this. I laughed my man boobs off.

Agree Lee and Herring shows are both vastly different styles but i love them both equally. Always a good gig with these two. Looking forward to checking out the what is love show when it's running our way.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The introduction for Dragon's Den is ridiculous.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Speaking about dragons den bannatyne tweeted and then removed an offer of £25,000 for the “capture” of an individual or “Double if his arms are broken first” who was trying to extort him for £30k over twitter, earlier today.

http://nevali.net/post/8384193183/the-duncan-bannatyne-tweet

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I quite like the idea of annoying millionaires that much via lovely websites. So much that it becomes an actual news story. I mean really. What the gently caress people.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Brown Moses posted:

It did make me wonder how smart the audience was when only a few of them seemed to realise the black guy in sun glasses wasn't obviously someone wearing a rubber mask.

I didn't know it was until he spoke near the board. His mouth didn't work properly and then it twigged.
I was sort of assuming that he'd turn the camera around and he'd be at the destination, but yea it was a very dull trick.

That "cuban" guy was also titanically boring. It went on for loving ages!

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

justcola posted:

The introduction for Dragon's Den is ridiculous.

Also, there's something about Evan Davies' pointless interjections to tell us about something we've already seen or ask us about something which has yet to happen (i.e. "The mood in the Den has soured considerably with the revelation that Boris McFuckwit has no idea how much money his company has lost or even what he makes or sells or where he is or how he got there. Will Scary Grandma counter Easily Offended Scotsman's offer of FIVE POUNDS for an 80% stake of Willy's Willy Warmers Inc...?") which just pisses me off so much. I know what just happened, I saw it, it was on the telly just this very second! And I expect we'd find out what's going to happen if you'd just shut the gently caress up already!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Also, there's something about Evan Davies' pointless interjections to tell us about something we've already seen or ask us about something which has yet to happen (i.e. "The mood in the Den has soured considerably with the revelation that Boris McFuckwit has no idea how much money his company has lost or even what he makes or sells or where he is or how he got there. Will Scary Grandma counter Easily Offended Scotsman's offer of FIVE POUNDS for an 80% stake of Willy's Willy Warmers Inc...?") which just pisses me off so much. I know what just happened, I saw it, it was on the telly just this very second! And I expect we'd find out what's going to happen if you'd just shut the gently caress up already!

That's from the american "reality show" template. It's either because the average audience over there has the attention span of a tomato, to pad out the episode length, or both.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:
Does anyone know what this is?

Pipski posted:

Any of you guys remember a 2-part pseudo-documentary from a few years back (I think about 2001) that was on terrestrial TV and portrayed a near-future, British, libertarian dystopia? It was about some software entrepreneur who wrote a replacement for Windows that functioned as a virus and somehow brought down governments, and then in part 2 absolutely everything was privatised, including the police. I'm going mad trying to find a copy, but I can't remember what series it was.

Posted in the UK D&D thread. Only suggestions so far are Cold Lazarus and If... both of which have been ruled out.

I have half a memory of this and it's doing my head in.

Also, does anyone remember that BBC disaster show a while ago, where they had normal people try and make decisions about what to do if London was flooding or there was a hijacked plane heading towards Westminster?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

delicious beef posted:

Also, does anyone remember that BBC disaster show a while ago, where they had normal people try and make decisions about what to do if London was flooding or there was a hijacked plane heading towards Westminster?
Crisis Command — Could You Run the Country?

I remember Remote Controller in Private Eye having a rant about the trend for overly long mash two titles together style names when in the past they'd have just picked one and gone with that.

brokenmachine
Aug 1, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

I thought the worst trick they had on there was the man with 4 CD players and predicting the song that would play. I'm not even sure that can even be called magic, it was so obvious.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Noo, channel 4 had stopped showing frasier at 8 am on weekdays :(. I always watch that while I am getting ready to go to work. Now its been replaced by T4 twats and Friends :(. Not happy.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

henpod posted:

Noo, channel 4 had stopped showing frasier at 8 am on weekdays :(. I always watch that while I am getting ready to go to work. Now its been replaced by T4 twats and Friends :(. Not happy.

Me too.Lets burn them down

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

henpod posted:

I think it's for the summer, hopefully it'll be back eventually. Though it does feel like they have done this to spite me as I'm off for 2 weeks, and I have to leave the house about 10 past 8 to get to work so I never catch a full episode.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I thought they lost the Friends rights a couple of years ago - how come they're still showing it?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The rights expire later this year, so it's your last chance to watch every single episode from start to finish.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I used to like Friends when I was younger and before Channel 4 just couldn't be bothered anymore and just started filling up the gaps in their channels with it. After what must be a decade of that, I cannot stand Friends anymore.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Gorn Myson posted:

I used to like Friends when I was younger and before Channel 4 just couldn't be bothered anymore and just started filling up the gaps in their channels with it. After what must be a decade of that, I cannot stand Friends anymore.

This pretty much sums up my opinion of the show.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Friends was loving terrible. Seinfeld on the other hand, if they showed that back to back I would definitely watch that.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Metrication posted:

Friends was loving terrible. Seinfeld on the other hand, if they showed that back to back I would definitely watch that.

They used to show it on BBC2, it was on at something like 11:15 at night with The Larry Sanders Show. Meanwhile we still seem to get a minimum of 4 episodes of Friends on every day on e4.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
This thread might not be the exact demographic for the show, but something quite funny came out of ITV's The Sooty Show today. I'm surprised to hear the little yellow puppet's still going, never mind injuring fallen-from-glory magicians.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Incidentally on his twitter feed he's saying the Sooty thing happened ages ago, that he just popped in to hospital to have it checked, and that the whole thing has been hugely blown out of proportion by the Sun.

Which doesn't sound like the sort of thing they'd do at all. Oh no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Gram-O-Phone posted:

He's STILL using that loving 'about to show his hand' phrase too. He said it at least twice in this week's episode.

metrication posted:

Friends was loving terrible. S******* on the other hand, if they showed that back to back I would definitely watch that.

Christ, don't use that word in here!