Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

I s-off'd my EVO 3D the day they released it and have had no problems. I didn't have to call Sprint or anything either, I just manually updated my profile and PRL when it rebooted and I was able to make/receive calls and texts, and my 4g works still, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I didn't know it was possible to turn a forum post into a geocities page but he manages to every. single. time. he. posts.

My eyes feel...violated. There is so much talent in the Android community, then there is so much of, this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

900ftjesus posted:

But this guy is back in action.
Needs more explosions.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1065414

:stare:

How the gently caress does he read any of this?

Edit:

This is physically painful. Everything, and I mean everything, about this is awful. But then you realize in just that screenshot alone 3 people in 2 days have given this guy money.

THEY GAVE HIM MONEY FOR THIS :psyduck:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 1, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is physically painful.
Did my astigmatism just get worse?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
This is my favorite part:

quote:

this is a two stage rom...

wipe
flash rom,reboot
(look around)
flash battery mod,reboot
(this is what you get to keep)
thank
drink a fifth
drive home
swerve so you dont kill the jogger
if you make it home,hug the toilet ^_^
(if youre not drunk you have no excuse to do this)

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

900ftjesus posted:

None seem worth the trouble so far.

But this guy is back in action.

Wow that is horrific in so many ways but unfortunately common on XDA. Some of those "post a screenshot of your setup" submissions.. yikes.

Netarchy seems to be working on a kernel already called Silverneedle. If his work on the Evo 4G was any indication, that will probably be the one to watch.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not flashing any ROM for at least a couple weeks because until then, nothing put out is going to have any real work done other than lovely font changes and throwing in black versions of apps or transparent mods.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Wow that is horrific in so many ways but unfortunately common on XDA. Some of those "post a screenshot of your setup" submissions.. yikes.

Netarchy seems to be working on a kernel already called Silverneedle. If his work on the Evo 4G was any indication, that will probably be the one to watch.

What all did he do for the EVO, again? I know the name, but can't remember where from.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Edit:

This is physically painful. Everything, and I mean everything, about this is awful. But then you realize in just that screenshot alone 3 people in 2 days have given this guy money.

Post in that new 3D ROM thread and say how ugly it is. I'll relate that experience to throwing rocks at a beehive, except the bees are all incompetent morons.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
I tried renaming the thread after "[ROM]Bl00dyB3@$T-3d MOD v5.2 [THE BLOODY FINAL]" but I couldn't stand looking at it for even a minute. Ugh.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

900ftjesus posted:

Post in that new 3D ROM thread and say how ugly it is. I'll relate that experience to throwing rocks at a beehive, except the bees are all incompetent morons.

You rang:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=16195453&postcount=237

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It looks like Starcraft and Epic Pinball got really drunk and vomited into a UI.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I didn't need to be a member on XDA anyway. :v:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Everyone on SA with an XDA account should go "Thanks" this post right now.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Can someone help me understand nandroid backups? I have a DX, and I went from stock to rooted to liberty to leaked GB to CM7 to MIUI . . . but only because each one had step by step instructions on how to go from whatever you were on to what they had. I just got CWM today, and found out i have a backup of liberty 1.5 and of whatever I had on my phone in February of this year.

So what can I restore? What can't I? I've read that nandroids backup everything including the kernel, and I've read that they just backup your system data and I've also heard they don't backup your radio. I've never done an SBF and really don't care to dick around figuring it out. Can I go back to liberty (which had amazing battery life) or do I have to jump through hoops?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Making a nandroid makes an exact copy of your phone as it was at the time of the backup. If you break something, you can f;ash this back up, restoring your phone exactly as it was at the time of backup. Its a failsafe, basically. gently caress something up, restore your back up, everythings fine.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Ozmodiar posted:

What all did he do for the EVO, again? I know the name, but can't remember where from.

He maintained the netarchy-toastmod kernel, I think he was the first one to remove the 2D FPS limiter from 30fps up to ~65fps which really did make a difference in everything from the general responsiveness of the home screens/app drawer to scrolling in the browser and other apps. His stuff is generally pretty stable and he's quite dedicated to his projects.

I believe people actually pooled together and bought him a Evo 3D just so he could develop for it.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 1, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Edit:

This is the nerd equivalent of an Ed Hardy shirt, god drat

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Invader Tim posted:

Can someone help me understand nandroid backups? I have a DX, and I went from stock to rooted to liberty to leaked GB to CM7 to MIUI . . . but only because each one had step by step instructions on how to go from whatever you were on to what they had. I just got CWM today, and found out i have a backup of liberty 1.5 and of whatever I had on my phone in February of this year.

So what can I restore? What can't I? I've read that nandroids backup everything including the kernel, and I've read that they just backup your system data and I've also heard they don't backup your radio. I've never done an SBF and really don't care to dick around figuring it out. Can I go back to liberty (which had amazing battery life) or do I have to jump through hoops?

With the locked bootloader on the DX, I think the main issues with backups is that you can't flash from one kernel to the other that way,i.e. if you're on a gingerbread based rom like Liberty 0.9, you'll get stuck in a bootloop if you roll back to something froyo based like CM7 or Liberty 1.5. If you want to restore a backup like that you'll want to SBF back to the stock froyo rom, then after you reroot and flash the rom manager you can move around on the froyo based roms.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
The only issues i've noticed with the EVO 3D S-OFF:

-Home screen apps don't stay in memory very well and I see them reloading regularly. Not terribly noticeable.
-Might be more due to root but I see the "multiple packages have been granted superuser permissions" message every time I unlock the phone.
-Wallpaper changes do not stick until after some time has passed. (This might be the Backgrounds app)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I know this is a crazy long shot, but I'm hoping there's a fix for it.

The only problem I am having with CM7 on my Thunderbolt is that no matter what the hell I plug into a headphone jack, even if it's Gameboy headphones from 1989, it thinks I am plugging in something with a microphone (you can even see a little microphone icon on top). This makes it impossible to answer the phone while listening to Pandora in my car.

Searching, it seems a lot of people complained about this in the respective forum over at XDA, but they pretty much ignored it and released an update not fixing it. Is there any hackneyed way I can go about fixing it myself?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not experiencing any of those and just s-off couldn't cause those to happen anyways.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Txiuct posted:

Hearing about all these awesome roms and their features makes me feel like im living in the dark ages with my droid x.

I am so looking forward to a stable cm7 release for my droid x. Is anyone running the nightly builds on a droid x? How is it?

Put cm7 on last night with the recent nightly. poo poo blew the gently caress up with adw. But once I replaced that its been fast as poo poo. Ill be running cm7 from here on out on my Dx. Its so much faster.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

EbolaIvory posted:

Put cm7 on last night with the recent nightly. poo poo blew the gently caress up with adw. But once I replaced that its been fast as poo poo. Ill be running cm7 from here on out on my Dx. Its so much faster.

The only thing that's stopping me from doing this is the goddamn FroYo kernel. Everything I've used with that has caused soft boots on my phone. Have they said why they didn't build it on the GB kernel?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Have they said why they didn't build it on the GB kernel?

I haven't seen a reason as to why it was built like that, but I believe it has to do with the 2nd-init. I've read a few different places though that he's currently working to get it on the GB kernel.

I'm currently loving it. I have go launcher ex running and haven't had a single hick-up. I'm on nightly 42, which is when they went to android 2.3.5. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones that aren't getting the soft reboots.

Battery has been beast too. I'm usually only down to about 50-60% by the time I'm getting into bed for the night.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 1, 2011

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I'll probably break down and install it tonight. The soft boots were pretty rare, but really irritating when they happened. Does tethering work?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Don't normally use that, but I can check for you here in a bit once I get home.

edit: Yup, barnacle wifi tether is working for me. Currently making this post through my mobile wifi tethered laptop.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 1, 2011

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
Running nightly #46 on my DX. Soft reboots are still an issue for me, but are mostly tolerable. Only when I'm in the middle of a phone call do I find it irritating.

Battery life is pretty poor compared to .596; Where I used to finish my shift with 60-70% remaining, I'm pushing 25% now. Could be that my usage pattern has changed, but it still seems drastic.

Those are the negatives. The rest is fantastic. I love the wide breadth of options and tweaks, the speed, the "clean" AOSP experience and, of course, the satisfaction of running 2.3.5. ;)

And yes, the reason why we're on the FroYo kernel is because that's where cvpcs discovered the 2nd init exploit. He thinks he can get it working on the GB kernel but it's a "low priority" right now. To be honest, I expect major updates to be slow coming; No sleight against him, but I do hope someone else can help contribute to the project.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Nupraptor posted:

Running nightly #46 on my DX. Soft reboots are still an issue for me, but are mostly tolerable. Only when I'm in the middle of a phone call do I find it irritating.

Battery life is pretty poor compared to .596; Where I used to finish my shift with 60-70% remaining, I'm pushing 25% now. Could be that my usage pattern has changed, but it still seems drastic.

These are deal-killers for me. I'm really happy with my current setup so I'll probably stick with it until something drastically better comes along. My girlfriend is still using stock 2.2 on her X (so she can tether), so I'll probably put CM7 on it. I'm still hoping for the astronomically low chance that Motorola will unlock the bootloader in a future update or leak the keys to make signed updates.

e: hey those of you with an X, what color is your battery pull-out tab and how is your power button? My tab is gold and I have a squishy power button, but my girlfriend's is red and her power button is nice and clicky. Also hers doesn't suffer from soft boots on 2.2.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Mine is gold and has the crappy power button as well. I'm actually getting more soft reboots on GB kernel than on 2.2 though.

I never thought something as simple as a power button that doesn't click would drive me so insane. I hate it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Red and clicky here.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I've been having trouble lately with my phone not connecting to Google's services when I'm away from home. You know how the 3g and signal icons change color in Gingerbread? Mine are staying grey. Data works, but push gmail doesn't. I have to manually check for messages.

When I'm at home and connected to wifi, I don't have a problem. Trying to figure out if this is an issue with Sprint, CM7 or something else. Any ideas?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

brc64 posted:

I've been having trouble lately with my phone not connecting to Google's services when I'm away from home. You know how the 3g and signal icons change color in Gingerbread? Mine are staying grey. Data works, but push gmail doesn't. I have to manually check for messages.

When I'm at home and connected to wifi, I don't have a problem. Trying to figure out if this is an issue with Sprint, CM7 or something else. Any ideas?

Have you checked to make sure your sync is enabled? I know sometimes it's turned off for me (how, I don't know).

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

brc64 posted:

For some reason when I was on CM7 on my EVO it would uncheck sync data with Gmail on it's own. I have no idea why, but check there. I do not use CM7 anymore as it gave me poo poo like this constantly.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Sync is still turned on, as is background data. It's a strange issue, just seems to have cropped up in the past week or two.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

e: hey those of you with an X, what color is your battery pull-out tab and how is your power button? My tab is gold and I have a squishy power button, but my girlfriend's is red and her power button is nice and clicky. Also hers doesn't suffer from soft boots on 2.2.

Red tab and clicky button ... never had a soft reboot.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Holy gently caress! A full nandroid of my stock Sensation clocks in at 2.13 gigs. :aaaaa:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Holy gently caress! A full nandroid of my stock Sensation clocks in at 2.13 gigs. :aaaaa:

"Only" 1.83gb here! A good 2-3 times the size of my N1 backups. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

big mean giraffe posted:

"Only" 1.83gb here! A good 2-3 times the size of my N1 backups. Jesus.

This poo poo is tearing up my free space. HTC Locations (which is awesome btw) lets you keep map sections on the SD card. US Southwest is 980 megs.