Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

E2M2 with the music pack that the BrutalDoom guy recommends (http://www.4shared.com/file/N_D9I1vo/Doom_Metal.html) is probably my favorite Doom track ever. Does anybody know of any music packs that go for more of a spooky/techno feel than just metal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Vertigus posted:

E2M2 with the music pack that the BrutalDoom guy recommends (http://www.4shared.com/file/N_D9I1vo/Doom_Metal.html) is probably my favorite Doom track ever. Does anybody know of any music packs that go for more of a spooky/techno feel than just metal?

While I wait 90 seconds for my download to start, I might as well ask. Are these replacement tracks for the entirety of Doom? Anything for Doom2? Are there any good music replacement wads for Doom2?

e; Hey. 90 seconds is up. Answers to my questions: yes/yes/if this isn't, probably not.

treat fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 1, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vertigus posted:

I know about that, but the thing is that I do have OpenGL on.

And I'm not talking about looking up and down, I'm talking about looking side-to-side. Turning on v-sync fixes it, but then the mouse aiming gets kind of screwed up. The effect won't show up in FRAPS so I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that the game runs at 700+ FPS, but why would it skew things when looking left and right?

Tried messing with your FOV settings? I'm sure FRAPS would capture that though, and it doesn't really have much to do with vsync and the framerate, so I have no idea... Weird.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Kins posted:

And here's something silly a guy I know did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ad544E04aU

I... I love this. :aaa:

As a huge fan of both MF- and 2.5d- Doom, I love this a whole lot. Tell that guy he's awesome.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Tried messing with your FOV settings? I'm sure FRAPS would capture that though, and it doesn't really have much to do with vsync and the framerate, so I have no idea... Weird.

I think I'll just chalk it up to some really weird screen tearing going on. It doesn't much look like the kind of tearing I get in modern games, where the screen splits in half, but those games are running at maybe 80 FPS on my 60 Hz LCD whereas GZDoom is running at 800 FPS at times.

If you get that kind of FPS in GZDoom, check it out by running past a wall and looking left and right as you do so. It's definitely something that's very noticeable, but it's not a huge deal.

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.
Any OSX users using the GZDoom port using a controller?

I have the PS3 controller hooked up via bluetooth, and all seems well between the PS3 controller and the OS. In GZDoom I go into the options and enable the controller settings, and it lists the PS3 controller and if I go into it I can see the various axis to configure.

From here I cannot get it to work at all. Trying to re-assign controls (go to controls setup and hit enter on a control to define it) doesn't recongise and button presses on the controller, and in game the sticks do nothing.

Send help!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Real Guns + 10x Monster Mod + 2011 soundtrack equals holy poo poo. Mowing down hordes and hordes of zombiemen using a UMP before throwing frags clean across the room is beautiful.

I don't use the monster mod that came with Real Guns, which means leveling is no longer in. An upshot to this is that anything that drops a weapon will drop a random weapon from the mod, this means you basically never run out of ammo. Useful when rooms have literally 60 monsters in them at a time.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

ssergE posted:

Any OSX users using the GZDoom port using a controller?

I have the PS3 controller hooked up via bluetooth, and all seems well between the PS3 controller and the OS. In GZDoom I go into the options and enable the controller settings, and it lists the PS3 controller and if I go into it I can see the various axis to configure.

From here I cannot get it to work at all. Trying to re-assign controls (go to controls setup and hit enter on a control to define it) doesn't recongise and button presses on the controller, and in game the sticks do nothing.

Send help!

Does your computer not have a mouse or something? :confused: I don't mean this in a mouse vs. gamepad way, and I understand the inconvenience of using a mouse with a console, but I've never heard of somebody wanting to use a PS3/360 controller for an FPS on something that already has a mouse.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr_Person posted:

Does your computer not have a mouse or something? :confused: I don't mean this in a mouse vs. gamepad way, and I understand the inconvenience of using a mouse with a console, but I've never heard of somebody wanting to use a PS3/360 controller for an FPS on something that already has a mouse.

It's actually pretty common. A lot of people just find it more comfortable and easier to use.

Also, not sure about OSX, but my 360 controller works fine with GZDoom.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
This thread made me want to play old games, so I scrounged up Shadow Warrior and got the updated port. It has not aged well. I don't remember it being this annoyingly hard. I also remember there being more humor, but maybe I just need to get my rear end out of the first level.

I should just buck up and throw in The Ultimate Doom. Also, I need to find a working copy of TIE Fighter.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Dominic White posted:

Also, not sure about OSX, but my 360 controller works fine with GZDoom.
Really? I could never get mine to recognise the trigger buttons (which are apparently treated as a Z-axis instead of button inputs).

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Zero Star posted:

Really? I could never get mine to recognise the trigger buttons (which are apparently treated as a Z-axis instead of button inputs).

Yeah, that happens in a lot of games for some reason (Z-axis +, Z-axis -), but sometimes they still work as inputs.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Golbez posted:

This thread made me want to play old games, so I scrounged up Shadow Warrior and got the updated port. It has not aged well. I don't remember it being this annoyingly hard. I also remember there being more humor, but maybe I just need to get my rear end out of the first level.

I should just buck up and throw in The Ultimate Doom. Also, I need to find a working copy of TIE Fighter.

Is it crashing for you when you die and reload? drat thing keeps crashing to the desktop and corrupting my save file every 15 mins or so.

If not, can you please link me whichever source port you're using?

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I have this :sicknasty: Logitech gamepad that works like a 360 controller with analog triggers and whatnot but has a switch on the back to toggle between XInput (what the 360 controller uses) and the older DirectInput protocol for games that are too old to support the 360 controller properly. This one is what I have, but they also make ones with rumble and wireless. I know this is only tangentially related to the discussion at hand, but if you want a solid, versatile gamepad this is the way to go. The D-pad is also way, way better than the one on the official 360 controller.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Convex posted:

Is it crashing for you when you die and reload? drat thing keeps crashing to the desktop and corrupting my save file every 15 mins or so.

If not, can you please link me whichever source port you're using?

I got the port from http://www.proasm.com/sw/swp.html. I may not have played long enough to get it to crash but it's been completely stable so far.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Chinook posted:

Yeah, that happens in a lot of games for some reason (Z-axis +, Z-axis -), but sometimes they still work as inputs.

That's because they are axes; they're analog inputs and some games (such as Alpha Protocol) use them as such. Whether they work as buttons as well depends on whether the game you're playing is willing to use axis movements as button-style inputs, or whether it only accepts true buttons.

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

H2Omelon posted:

Seconding that Scoredoom is pretty awesome, but the one thorn in my side about it is that if you want to just go for a single level score, there's no consistent starting point between players. If for example I wanted to set the high score for Doom2's MAP16 I'd have to do at least the two secret levels as "prep" ending them with full health and armour and a BFG with 600 cells otherwise I'd never be able to set a high score because obviously starting out fully kitted up rather than a pistol start will let me cause more carnage in a shorter time and thus score better. Then if I wanted to do MAP17 I'd have to repeat the entire process only also trying to finish MAP16 with as many resources as possible. There's no distinction between setting a level hi-score on it's own and setting one as part of a full wad score, and both require different strategies to maximise the score.

Ok, this is a fair point. I never play pistol start on levels other than the first one in a wad, so never really bothered with "level on it's own" hi scores. But it makes sense. So I should have a patch out to support a 'Pistol Start' mode.
It will have its own database (along with regular, hardcore, no-infighting & hardcore-no-infighting modes). You'll also be able set a wad hi score going from level to level with pistol starts (or just use the 'MAP' command to warp to the level to take on). Have most of the patch done already, just need to create the new database, and that shouldn't take too long when I get some time.

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.

Mr_Person posted:

I have a laptop so I just use the trackpad, and I don't play games on my computer much so I can't be bothered getting a mouse.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm really suprised at how little people talk about Gunman Chronicles. That game is in a totally different league all it's own. never have I felt more in control of a gunfight than I did in any other game. why hasn't such powerful customization features been put in other games? it really feels like something entirely unique to it's experience.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Me and a bunch of other people in the SA goons chat were trying to set up a marathon 1 coop game but it failed miserably.
Can we get some help and pointers on how to get it working?
:(

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Any reccomendations for chaotic constant combat co-op fun with Doom mods? Me and two friends played 10x monster spawn Realguns DOOM and had a blast, but something with a bit more variety and a solid arena style map pack would be fun.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Colon Semicolon posted:

I'm really suprised at how little people talk about Gunman Chronicles. That game is in a totally different league all it's own. never have I felt more in control of a gunfight than I did in any other game. why hasn't such powerful customization features been put in other games? it really feels like something entirely unique to it's experience.

I remember playing the poo poo out of Gunman back when it came out. I'm kind of surprised that Valve has seemingly abandoned it entirely and not bothered to even acknowledge its existence.

Oddly enough, if you put in a Gunman Chronicles cd-key into Steam it gives you access to the Half-Life Platinum Pack.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

XausF1 posted:

I remember playing the poo poo out of Gunman back when it came out. I'm kind of surprised that Valve has seemingly abandoned it entirely and not bothered to even acknowledge its existence.

Oddly enough, if you put in a Gunman Chronicles cd-key into Steam it gives you access to the Half-Life Platinum Pack.

It wasn't actually made by Valve - I thought it was just a mod turned retail with their blessing. No reason for them to be actively supporting it now, though it would be nice to see it on Steam as I never had the opportunity to try it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's a mod that makes Gunman Chronicles into a Steam game and makes it use the latest version of the HL1 engine. Grab it HERE.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

SwissCM posted:

There's a mod that makes Gunman Chronicles into a Steam game and makes it use the latest version of the HL1 engine. Grab it HERE.

I meant as in to buy as it's next to impossible to acquire now.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Songbearer posted:

Any reccomendations for chaotic constant combat co-op fun with Doom mods? Me and two friends played 10x monster spawn Realguns DOOM and had a blast, but something with a bit more variety and a solid arena style map pack would be fun.

Look into invasion packs for skulltag. I highly recommend UTNT Invasion.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Rather Dashing posted:

It wasn't actually made by Valve - I thought it was just a mod turned retail with their blessing. No reason for them to be actively supporting it now, though it would be nice to see it on Steam as I never had the opportunity to try it.

Yeah, I know, but it was Valve that basically invested in the mod team making it and turned it from a free release into a full on retail release and provided them with funding and space to work on the game or sometihng along those lines. The studio up and died and Valve kind of just turned a blind eye to it all. Oh well.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually have the full boxed copy of Gunman Chronicles sitting on my desk right now. I'll give the steam patch a go and try it out later.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Songbearer posted:

Play on my Stronghold Survival server!

Goonhold Stronghold
24.84.177.14:10666

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is why Bethesda took those neat hi-res shots of the original Doom models recently... have a cakedemon!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That is the coolest looking cake I have ever seen. A cacodemon cake would be even better.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mill Village posted:

That is the coolest looking cake I have ever seen. A cacodemon cake would be even better.

A Cakeodemon?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I think you mean a cakeodemon

e. son of a bitch!

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Lawman 0 posted:

Me and a bunch of other people in the SA goons chat were trying to set up a marathon 1 coop game but it failed miserably.
Can we get some help and pointers on how to get it working?
:(

Details would help. What version do you all have? Latest release is 0.23.3.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

A Cakeodemon?

Why did I not think of this? :doh:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mill Village posted:

Why did I not think of this? :doh:

Someone already has:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Well, I'm scared now.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Chinook posted:

Someone already has:

That is beautiful.

Well it isn't beautiful, but you know what I mean.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chinook posted:

Someone already has:

Why are the insides not blue? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mak0rz posted:

Why are the insides not blue? :colbert:

Yeah! It wouldn't even have been hard to dye the cream blue.