Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Not to ... denigrate this or anything. But what do motorcycles have to do with the conservative who pretended to be a cop and killed a bunch of people?

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Not to ... denigrate this or anything. But what do motorcycles have to do with the conservative cop who got a little overzealous?

Well, motorcycles always do rallies to support things. And he wasn't a cop and what he did was just a little overzealous? Really?

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 29, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

edited, nothing to see here.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 29, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Sorry. Edited.

\/\/ 'Went crazy' seemed inadequate.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 29, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Not to ... denigrate this or anything. But what do motorcycles have to do with the conservative cop who got a little overzealous?

Quoting for the dumbest post I've ever seen on SA in my 8 years (:stare:) here.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

frozenphil posted:

These questions are hilarious. I hope my feedback as someone who thinks most cruisers look like poo poo and would never buy one helps them out!
My answer to why I liked the engine I said I liked the best from the available options was, "It's the least horrendous of the options presented, but picking a favorite is like picking which burned baby looks the best; they're all terrible".

I picked the ninjette as my favorite and I love their descriptions of rev ranges. High is also known as "where I rev to start moving".

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

nsaP posted:

I picked the ninjette as my favorite and I love their descriptions of rev ranges. High is also known as "where I rev to start moving".

HAH! I did the same thing. I'm pretty sure people who consider the Ninja 250 their favorite bike aren't really the core customers for Indian Motorcycles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://goadventuress.com/

quote:

Adventuress is a passionate skin car brand for women who ride that provides protection and rejuvenation for skin, giving women confidence and peace of mind as they enjoy the open road.

For when that women in your life just can't go out without the freedom of an open face helmet and her cute little cheeks get chapped.

Also, Cosmic, I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Armyman25 posted:

http://www.firsthandresearch.com/BikeSurvey/Start.asp?ID=256

Polaris is doing market research for the direction on Indian motorcycles. The survey has some cool engine designs in it.

Ha, please, its a Bandit 1200 :smugdog:

And since when is 3500-5000 considered "High RPMs"

Basically that survey is "How can we best copy Harley without actually making Harleys". Terrible.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

Go do it you'll have fun.

Yeah, I think it's worth it for a day of watching vintage racing and 20 minutes on a track for a total of $18. The day I'm planning on is the 14th, anyone else feel like going?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nsaP posted:

I ride a 600cc four-cylinder. It starts lugging below 3500rpm.

I wonder if their questionnaire will let me input my diesel car, since that seems to be what their rev ranges are meant for :smugdog:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Ola posted:

Am at work, was out on the sidewalk having a smoke when the biggest motorcycle convoy I've ever seen in the city roared past - in memory of last week's terrorist attack. They blocked the intersections like cop bikes, wish I could've joined in. Didn't have a camera on me then, wish I'd filmed the rear end in a top hat who insisted on walking across because his signal was green even though he could see hundreds of bikes not stopping. He yelled at one stopped bike, noticed the Hell's Angels logo and walked away.

Well, I'm glad you brought it up first. It was a bit peculiar having this episode remain unspoken here, knowing where you hail from--even if gearheads can be sort of an apolitical bunch. I probably would have stepped on my tongue too trying to appoint myself spokesperson to convey sympathies from this side of the pond--nevertheless, we hope you've seen your last skindiving psychopath, but just to be on the safe side, get those police to cowboy up.

Believe it or not, bikers occasionally convene for reasons that are more important than barbecue ribs and a Poison tribute band.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

Believe it or not, bikers occasionally convene for reasons that are more important than barbecue ribs and a Poison tribute band.

You are perilously close to losing your H.O.G. card with bold statements like that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marv Hushman posted:

Kid Rock is definitely a pretty big deal.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Team Marv.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

Well, I'm glad you brought it up first. It was a bit peculiar having this episode remain unspoken here, knowing where you hail from--even if gearheads can be sort of an apolitical bunch. I probably would have stepped on my tongue too trying to appoint myself spokesperson to convey sympathies from this side of the pond--nevertheless, we hope you've seen your last skindiving psychopath, but just to be on the safe side, get those police to cowboy up.

I'm glad someone brought it up, even if the fact that we're all just internet buddies makes it difficult to express our sympathy over what a horrible thing happened. I'm usually the one spewing words all over the place, but I have real difficulty with stuff like this, so please understand my brevity is out of a lack of ability to translate feelings to words, and not a lack of feeling.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

I'm glad someone brought it up, even if the fact that we're all just internet buddies makes it difficult to express our sympathy over what a horrible thing happened. I'm usually the one spewing words all over the place, but I have real difficulty with stuff like this, so please understand my brevity is out of a lack of ability to translate feelings to words, and not a lack of feeling.

Same here, I still just don't know how to put my reaction into the proper words.

For all the poo poo we give each other, Scandinavia is a pretty tight-knit bunch. Norway and Denmark in particular have a brotherhood that stretches back to the beginnings of recorded history and before.

That terrible day, we were all Norwegians. Proud, unyielding in the face of pure evil. We will not seek revenge, will not seek blood. But we will seek justice.

Team Norway.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Ha, please, its a Bandit 1200 :smugdog:

And since when is 3500-5000 considered "High RPMs"

Basically that survey is "How can we best copy Harley without actually making Harleys". Terrible.

They don't want my opinion because I work in media :(

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Same here, I still just don't know how to put my reaction into the proper words.

For all the poo poo we give each other, Scandinavia is a pretty tight-knit bunch. Norway and Denmark in particular have a brotherhood that stretches back to the beginnings of recorded history and before.

That terrible day, we were all Norwegians. Proud, unyielding in the face of pure evil. We will not seek revenge, will not seek blood. But we will seek justice.

Team Norway.

I posted this on facebook, but with current events in this thread I think I'll post it here too. It's not too politic-y, but it does sum up the difference between America and Norway in the face of an act of terrorism pretty well.
tl;dr: Norway has handled these attacks with aplomb, like America used to.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2011/07/28/norway

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the regards guys. I did consider posting in here as it certainly is its own little community. I suppose many subforums have the same. There was a massive thread in GBS, I posted a bit in there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I posted this on facebook, but with current events in this thread I think I'll post it here too. It's not too politic-y, but it does sum up the difference between America and Norway in the face of an act of terrorism pretty well.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2011/07/28/norway

quote:

“The Norwegian response to violence is more democracy, more openness and greater political participation,” Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg insisted at a news conference. . . .

Stoltenberg strongly defended the right to speak freely -- even if it includes extremist views such as Breivik’s.

“We have to be very clear to distinguish between extreme views, opinions — that’s completely legal, legitimate to have. What is not legitimate is to try to implement those extreme views by using violence,” he said in English.

I dream of a day when America can handle terrorism with the courage and conviction that Norway does. We know that this is the correct solution, and that changing your behavior, that allowing the terrorism to interfere with the process of progressive thought and tolerance is letting them win, but we lack the conviction to stand up for that. :(

Ola, I think in a lot of ways CA is it's own little world on SA...we're glad to have the chance to support our own.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

I dream of a day when America can handle terrorism with the courage and conviction that Norway does. We know that this is the correct solution, and that changing your behavior, that allowing the terrorism to interfere with the process of progressive thought and tolerance is letting them win, but we lack the conviction to stand up for that. :(

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

frozenphil posted:

Kind of puts me in mind of the end of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". I realize that sounds horribly trite, but what I'm getting at is that it's the same sort of attitude. This conviction that their conception of how society should work is correct, and drat if they'll let one deluded soul break that, no matter how many people he's hurt - that's straight up admirable.

I don't think the Canadian government would have the strength of will to do that. I know we didn't back in the 70s, when Trudeau - "Just watch me" - suspended habeus corpus in response to Quebec Separatist terrorism.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I think I now have what just might be America's only XR1200 with a Givi top case (I'm sure there's a couple floatin around Europe).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So are these deals gap people that treat it like a racetrack just like personal friends of all of the cops there or something?
I know you can get away with a lot police wise riding backroads but still, you're going to get nailed eventually... especially when you're riding a loving straight up race bike on the street.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 30, 2011

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

For some reason, I expected an article and decided that I didn't want to spend the time just to find out what engines they plan on using. It would be awesome if they would make an homage to their earlier four cylinder bike, but I imagine that the options were mostly v-twins, is that right? The last time Indian was revived, they did have a unique look, but still not too far from the harley idea.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I'm not too good with this stuff either, so I'll just say that it's a horrible tragedy what happened and it is truly amazing how the government up there can handle even the worst of things with a cool head and a caring heart. Norway really seems to set the standard for how a country should be run.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I was absolutely humbled by the way the Norweigan government responded to it. Just 100% pure, honest, responsible and intelligent. Leading people the way they should be led, instead of pandering to base fears and stoking outrage for ulterior motives.

On motorcyclical matters: this is probably a long shot, but can anyone recommend a good bike-focused mechanic in Melbourne? I only recently discovered that getting a vehicle serviced at a dealership is like flushing money down the toilet.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As much as I hate to say it, you're probably going to have ask on Netrider about that. Go there only to ask that, find a good workshop then never return to that godforsaken forum again.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well guys, I am back from my little trek, so thanks for the advice that you all gave me. I put a little over 400 miles on my bike and it was really fun, even though it was mostly all interstate. I did do some riding on old Route 66 but didn't really see what the big deal about it was in this day and age. My butt is a little sore from all the riding, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I didn't even need my motorcycle cover!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

:allears:

The future is orange indeed.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Duke 350?? Are there any details/pics/other rumors about that? I could be very interested in such a thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

YES, North America needs more serious small bore bikes!!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Some promo shots here:
http://allnewbikes.blogspot.com/2011/07/ktm-duke-350cc-to-follow-by-ktm-duke.html
and here:
http://indostiker.com/2011/07/ktm-duke-200-was-allegedly-released-along-with-ktm-duke-350.html/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They need to ABSOLUTELY ENSURE that they market it properly though. Every single small displacement motorcycle is marketed either as "For women!" or "For beginners", forever stigmatizing it with experienced riders, men, or both. Sure there are a handful of people that can appreciate bikes for what they are (I think every single one of them posts here), but the buying public needs to see "FUN" "EXCITING", "HANDLES GREAT", and then in tiny subtexts at the bottom fine print it says "oh yeah also good for beginners".

I think the entire motorcycle marketing industry in the US needs a revamp, but thats a post for another time.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

I'm definitely interested. Looks like the 125 makes around 15hp, expectations on the 200 are 20hp, so would ~35 be unreasonable for a 350 single?

If these start hitting market in fall '12 (and aren't double the price of a Ninja/CBR250) I'll be lined up for a demo ride.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I prefer the RC8 looking KTM's to the Duke.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--racing-news/ktm-rc8-based-rc690-supermono/18702.html

Sadly never to be built :(

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I'm definitely interested. Looks like the 125 makes around 15hp, expectations on the 200 are 20hp, so would ~35 be unreasonable for a 350 single?

If these start hitting market in fall '12 (and aren't double the price of a Ninja/CBR250) I'll be lined up for a demo ride.

I had a fondle (unfortunately no test ride) of the 125 at the dealer a few months ago when I stopped by to buy some shims and filters. It is without doubt the coolest 125cc road bike I have seen; and I live in a place where we have every kind of 125cc bike you can imagine, because they are the first bike you can get when you are 16.

I'm just bummed I can't buy a freeride for 2 years yet :( I want to get the dirt version, supermoto it and commute to work on one wheel with ACDC blasting from a stereo.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Why not just get the supermoto version straight up?

Also does freeride 350 imply they are doing an ICE version? Would that be something between a trials bike and a dirt bike or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Spent Saturday touring the Barber Museum with my Dad, spent about 5 hours walking around. Some amazing bikes there, a ton of history and some cool and failed designs (Gurney Alligator). I really liked the old GP bikes and ended up taking a ton of pictures of simple things like company logos.

Was nice hanging out talking bikes. Even found out my uncle has a CBX that I can ride next time I'm in Wisconsin and there might be an old airhead BMW waiting for me that I fixed for a friend ~8 years ago.

Friday and Sunday were spent riding in the mountains. He was very slow in the curves Thursday night and Friday morning but by the end of the ride Sunday he was doing better. Would have rode a lot more but it is too drat hot.