Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
My stinking kids have messed up my plastic dolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My poor Scourges have been wrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ashcans posted:

This guy is the coolest guy.

Gringeaux
Nov 11, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

Picked up this hotness in a Bartertown trade...

Looking forward to painting it 6 months from now!

Pretty funny that some dude making bootlegs in Russia can make better sculpts than the official GW model.

Dear lord, I must have this. I'm tired of waiting on them to finecast Vulkan.
Any links to this Russian guy?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Ashcans posted:

I think in the tradition of this thread you should probably make this dude's face your new avatar, Ashcans.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I run a dungeons and dragons game and have previously only used prepainted minis. I was pretty unhappy with the selection of oozes/slimes/jellies available so I made a few of my own painted it.

I had a lot more fun painting it than I thought I would and even my paint jobs look better than anything on the prepainted minis. I think I might have to do some more of this.

Just needs a glossy varnish coat to make him shiny.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gringeaux posted:

Dear lord, I must have this. I'm tired of waiting on them to finecast Vulkan.
Any links to this Russian guy?

Sorry duder, no dice. I got it from a guy on Bartertown, don't know where he originally got it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
How do people get through painting Black Templars armies? I'm highlighting a black Space Marine army on commission and it is the most drab horrible thing I can imagine.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SRM posted:

How do people get through painting Black Templars armies? I'm highlighting a black Space Marine army on commission and it is the most drab horrible thing I can imagine.

wild turkey

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Given how lovely my latest batch of highlights came out (drat black shows up all my mistakes :argh:) I wouldn't be surprised.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

If you are looking for some general advice for painting black, the best I can give is less is more. you want to stick with subtle highlights and then one very sharp edge highlight in a colour equivalent to fortress grey I suppose.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm doing Codex Grey with a Fortress Grey extreme highlight in corners or whatever because that's what the dude wants.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

SRM posted:

It was hell. BTs were my first army and what I learned to paint first, and to this day I still cant highlight black to save my life

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Again, the photos are not great and apologies are proferred.

The new Contemptor from Forge World arrived the other day and I wasted no time in getting to work. I really, really like this kit because it generally has excellent detail and casting and it is incredibly well articulated. If you're ambitious, you can probably give this dreadnought a similar degree motion that you'd get from one of those wooden artist's models. There's a host of new weapons due out for it (including what appears to be a conversion beamer) so both arms are magnetized for an easy switch. There's also a flamer mounted in the palm of the power fist, and again the detail on it is superb... unfortunately it is tucked away and hard to see.

The base is sheets of plasticard slightly melted to give a nice heat-melted/blasted look. They were basecoated black and mechrite red before being daubed with a couple of different shades of pigments for rusting and scorching. The barrel is an old plastic GW barrel that has been similarly abused.

A squad of four Custodes in terminator armour for Apoc games. The bodies and pauldrons are from Scibor and the arms/halberds are a mix of GW Grey Knight and Space Marine bits. These are the first models that I have tried to do power weapons on and I think they turned out reasonably well.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
It all looks good to me, but that Dreadnought is begging for some weathering, paint chipping, etc.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
(slightly) Better pics of stuff I've finished lately:

Lootas:

Deathwatch Devastator:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

crime fighting hog posted:

It all looks good to me, but that Dreadnought is begging for some weathering, paint chipping, etc.

I haven't decided if the dread is going to get the same sort of weathering as the tanks I have done, but some chipped paint may not be a bad idea. I probably won't do rust, because this is supposed to be some crazy high tech poo poo, even compared to the other stuff space marines use, but maybe replacing the brown rust colour with mithril silver or chainmail is the way to go.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 1, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm looking for a good terracotta base color. Citadel doesn't make one (any more), is there a P3 paint that will do the job? Planning to highlight towards Blazing Orange.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Rucksack Tan as base and Bloodstone for shading should give a nice terracotta feeling.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm looking for a good terracotta base color. Citadel doesn't make one (any more), is there a P3 paint that will do the job? Planning to highlight towards Blazing Orange.

VGC Terracotta is the same thing as old citadel terracotta (as much as any given pot of a given old citadel paint resembles another, anyhow).

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
Making a bit of progress on some Chaos Warriors for Blood Bowl, pretty happy about the big dude, the short dude is a bit too small compared to my beastmen, but I''m fairly happy with the way he looks.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Big Willy Style posted:

I think in the tradition of this thread you should probably make this dude's face your new avatar, Ashcans.

Hah, seeing as Fix has made me associate my Warp Spider with the Klan, I might do that. I'd try to get a better picture of him first though.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Here's a post of some Ogre stuff I did for the Oath thread, which I thought I'd throw in here for exposure.

Last few months I've done some for me pretty ambitious conversionwork for my Ogre army. I started off with making an Ogre Hunter:

It's a standard plastic bull with a bunch of bitz and some green stuff, and to keep it cheap, I grabbed a couple of old chaos hounds as replacement sabretusks. The dogs had most of their spikes and horns removed and resculpted to look less chaosy. My attempts at making a good looking crossbow failed, so I resorted to giving him a big spear instead.

That was followed by some unconverted Leadbelchers and a unit of Gnoblar Trappers sappers. Hardly my most ambitious conversions (5 of them are conversions), but a fun little unit I made just to use the special theme that month which was explosions.

And the latest one, an Ogre Maneater Witch Hunter:

an animated wip gif:

It was pretty much done because of an idea of a great maw/twin tailed comet symbol gutplate, which made me want to try and make an imperial looking Ogre, probably acting as muscle for the Inquisition. I think it turned out pretty drat well.

But as far as ambitious conversions go, I'm pretty sure that's it for me for a while. I've got too many things I want to work on to spend crazy amount of time on single models.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

R.S. Gumby posted:

This is baller as hell. Great work, mang.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
He literally eats witches.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The July painting challenge slideshow for my LGS challenge is up! We did HQs this month. One dude did the entire Phoenix Court AND a squat for good measure! Good stuff all around.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Hah, seeing as Fix has made me associate my Warp Spider with the Klan, I might do that. I'd try to get a better picture of him first though.

Well it would be more embarassing fielding some warp spiders in a tournament than going to a klan picnic so I really think you should.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Big Willy Style posted:

Well it would be more embarassing fielding some warp spiders in a tournament than going to a klan picnic so I really think you should.

Do they have picnics? Are they any good?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ashcans posted:

Hah, seeing as Fix has made me associate my Warp Spider with the Klan

:3:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

They entice you with talks of wizards and then next thing you know you're running nazi themed steel legion

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

ghetto wormhole posted:

Like most picnics, it goes well enough until one guy starts making racist comments and ruins it.

Wait...

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

ghetto wormhole posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj9dLksw2p0

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Saw Bo live in April, it was pretty cool.

Also I already run Steel Legion :ohdear:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Turns out painting yellow is actually really easy.

What's not easy is finding out you've managed to get black paint on a carefully highlighted power fist. :suicide:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

You've... you've somehow candy-coated your terminator. I want to eat it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That there's a pretty good yellow to be an "easy" yellow. What gives?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Fix posted:

That there's a pretty good yellow to be an "easy" yellow. What gives?

It's a Paint Vagrant special recipe. White undercoat and two thin coats of golden yellow. Wash with sepia then highlight towards white.

It's all about the white undercoat.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

What's not easy is finding out you've managed to get black paint on a carefully highlighted power fist. :suicide:

Helmet should be red :colbert:

Otherwise awesome job. The yellow is hot.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I kind of feel like the tabard should be a different color, maybe more of a bleached bone or khaki kind of color, but other than that it's dope.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Honestly, with the shadowing from the strong lighting, it might be bleached bone or a similar brown-tinged off white. How would we know?

I really like it. I assumed it was built from orange with yellow at first, it's so rich.

The Emperor's Butterscotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

spacegoat posted:

Helmet should be red :colbert:

Yeah, but I wanted to avoid large amounts of red. Could give him a red helmet stripe. I figure white is for veterans so it mostly works.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Honestly, with the shadowing from the strong lighting, it might be bleached bone or a similar brown-tinged off white. How would we know?

No, it's the same cool/neutral white as the helmet. Was thinking of putting a green border on it. If it were bone or khaki I feel like it would just get overwhelmed by the yellow (and would be the same as the parchment on the purity seals)

Honestly the paint job is a bit messy, I was mainly focused on nailing the yellow color. Got another 11 or so of these guys to convert and paint so hopefully the others will get a bit better.

• Locked thread