Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkStarRecondite
Jun 20, 2011
I need to be thoroughly slapped with a massive book about how to use MS excel. Specifically, for starters, i have this question:

how do express in excel, over 100 'instances' the 12% chance of removing 1 value from a starting value of 10. Compound each initial starting value to signify 1 unit. This involves a high degree of 'random', so that after 100 instances, approximately 88% but possibly a much wider varience of the starting units will be at values below 10.

i've tried playing around witht eh RAND and RANDBETWEEN functions, but its slow going and i cannot seem to be able to write 'conditions' into the function. specifically, "If random number generated in box A2 is between 88-100, then subtract 1 from teh value of Unit A" and to compound that over 100 instances.

Im probably not even making any sense at all but if someone, anyone knows what im talking about, please reply quote or pm me. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

DarkStarRecondite posted:

I need to be thoroughly slapped with a massive book about how to use MS excel. Specifically, for starters, i have this question:

how do express in excel, over 100 'instances' the 12% chance of removing 1 value from a starting value of 10. Compound each initial starting value to signify 1 unit. This involves a high degree of 'random', so that after 100 instances, approximately 88% but possibly a much wider varience of the starting units will be at values below 10.

i've tried playing around witht eh RAND and RANDBETWEEN functions, but its slow going and i cannot seem to be able to write 'conditions' into the function. specifically, "If random number generated in box A2 is between 88-100, then subtract 1 from teh value of Unit A" and to compound that over 100 instances.

Im probably not even making any sense at all but if someone, anyone knows what im talking about, please reply quote or pm me. Thanks

I have no idea, but for gently caress's sake, use your shift key & apostrophes.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
My parents were on vacation in the UK and Ireland recently. My dad's going through the pictures he took, and he can't remember what one of them is. He's fairly certain it's in Dublin, though. Can anyone identify what this is?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

fishmech posted:

Uh, you need a complete address to determine whether where you actually live is serviced by certain providers. For example, a bunch of DSL providers might serve your ZIP code, but your actual street can easily be too far away for any of them to provide DSL service (since DSL has limitations based on wirelength from you to the central office).

I did not know that; I stand corrected. I have always assumed that anytime somebody on the Internet wants more specific information, it's for evil purposes. Evidently this is one of the few exceptions.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

One of a Kind posted:

I'm looking for a free website or program that can play music you input into it. The music doesn't have to be high quality, or for a specific instrument - I'd even be fine with MIDI sounds; I just want something where you can put notes in one end and have the melody come out the other.

I'm trying to get a particular song "recorded" so that I can practice alongside the parts I don't play.

I do this, too. I have found that, really, it's just better--if this is something you're going to be doing on an ongoing basis--to pay for software. I use Music Masterworks and it works well for my amateur-level stuff. $34.95 is not that expensive.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

One of a Kind posted:

I'm looking for a free website or program that can play music you input into it. The music doesn't have to be high quality, or for a specific instrument - I'd even be fine with MIDI sounds; I just want something where you can put notes in one end and have the melody come out the other.

I'm trying to get a particular song "recorded" so that I can practice alongside the parts I don't play.

Power Tab is freeware and does guitar parts. It's a pretty old program, so there may be much better stuff out there now, but it may be good enough for you.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

DarkStarRecondite posted:

I think the sort of command you're looking for is actually called "IF". That said, here is the small excel question thread. Also,

Eggplant Wizard posted:

…for gently caress's sake, use your shift key & apostrophes.

DarkStarRecondite
Jun 20, 2011

helopticor posted:

I think the sort of command you're looking for is actually called "IF". That said, here is the small excel question thread. Also,

Thankyou so much, i never would have found that

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

stubblyhead posted:

My parents were on vacation in the UK and Ireland recently. My dad's going through the pictures he took, and he can't remember what one of them is. He's fairly certain it's in Dublin, though. Can anyone identify what this is?

He can't narrow it down based on the chronological order of his photos?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Pweller posted:

He can't narrow it down based on the chronological order of his photos?

Apparently not, because he can't figure out what it is.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm trying to properly categorize an application.

This application allows users to log on and send subject data to our company via an internet browser per FDA rules. The user can give us details about the transfer, see past transfers, write on a message board, read and answer queries, ask questions, and download information regarding their specific trials. This application runs on a server at our data center in NJ. The client needs to download an ActiveX plug-in and that's it.

Is this SaaS CRM? SaaS CMS? Just SaaS? Just CRM? Just CMS? ASP? None of the above? I don't know!

At present I'm calling it a content management system/data transfer application. However that strikes me as wrong, misleading, outside of the industry nomenclature, and unprofessional.

So yes, please let me know how best to describe this application. Thanks in advance.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 1, 2011

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

stubblyhead posted:

It looks like Dublin Castle to me.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

TremendousMajestic posted:

It looks like Dublin Castle to me.

Looks like it, thanks!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

When you're sore and achy and have a bath with Epsom salts added to the water, how the salts actually help sore muscles? Or do you just think they do?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Eat This Glob posted:

TFR is the place, actually. There's a goon that only posts in TFR that knows his poo poo with zippos. He collects them and can pinpoint what's authentic and when it was made. He doesn't have pm's though. There was a derail a month or so back in a box thread that was all about zippos. I remember who posted it, but I don't know if it's gone to the archives. If it's live, I'll edit in the link. Otherwise, post it in the stickied general questions thread and I'll text him to check it out for you. Good luck, it's a cool thing you're doing.

edit: Thread is still live, but I don't know if anyone would check after the bump. Still worth a read.

Thanks, I'm going to copy and paste my original question in to the general questions thread and if I'm directed to, the thread you linked.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

One of a Kind posted:

Finale Notepad

Reject
Nov 4, 2002

Drimble Wedge posted:

When you're sore and achy and have a bath with Epsom salts added to the water, how the salts actually help sore muscles? Or do you just think they do?

Epsom Salts contain magnesium, which is supposed to help muscle function and recovery, and can be absorbed through the skin. That and just a nice hot bath probably do help with sore muscles.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Zegnar posted:

Finale Notepad

The free demo version is only good for 30 days. A few years ago, you used to be able to download a free, permanent, limited-function version, but not any more.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

One of a Kind posted:

I'm not sure what the limitations are on the demo, but you could try Fruity Loops.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

How the hell do you remove an upload on youtube. I can't find a delete or remove or even an edit button anywhere. Am I being stupid or what.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What are some recommended (online, preferably) video game industry publications? Shooting for Programming / Design side of things but anything helps.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
Ok this is stupid and I'm overlooking something simple...my kid somehow triggered something and now the forums - and only the forums - are in a gigantic font. Nothing else - just these forums. What am I overlooking to resize this? Oh - and just on this pc, though nothing else on the pc is supersized...

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

ZoneManagement posted:

Ok this is stupid and I'm overlooking something simple...my kid somehow triggered something and now the forums - and only the forums - are in a gigantic font. Nothing else - just these forums. What am I overlooking to resize this? Oh - and just on this pc, though nothing else on the pc is supersized...

Hold down the ctrl key and tap the - key and it should size the font back down

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Shenadigins posted:

How the hell do you remove an upload on youtube. I can't find a delete or remove or even an edit button anywhere. Am I being stupid or what.

You're definitely logged in, yeah?

If so, click your username in the top right corner and click Videos. On that list, check the box next to the video you want to delete and under Actions, click Delete.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

marshmallard posted:

You're definitely logged in, yeah?

If so, click your username in the top right corner and click Videos. On that list, check the box next to the video you want to delete and under Actions, click Delete.

Brilliant, thank you.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned

2508084 posted:

Thank you. I knew it was something simple...

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

2508084 posted:

ZoneManagement posted:

Thank you. I knew it was something simple...

Also, Ctrl+0 will reset to the default size if you gently caress around with -/+ too much.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Ularg posted:

What are some recommended (online, preferably) video game industry publications? Shooting for Programming / Design side of things but anything helps.

You want Game Developer magazine.

This may also be in your interests.

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant

John Redcorn fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 19, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's certainly possible, or it could have been a human who figured out what the answers were.

It's usually a good idea to set security questions to fake/unusual answers to stop someone from just looking/guessing up your mother's birth city or your first car model or anything like that. Think of them as secondary backup passwords.

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I might have declared victory too soon, hacked again.

When I tried to recover this time it asked for mothers birthplace and 1st car again even though I'd changed the questions. It said this security question was added july 2009, so I don't think they're messing with that, maybe yahoo is just taking too long to actually push the changes through for my security questions.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

John Redcorn posted:

I might have declared victory too soon, hacked again.

When I tried to recover this time it asked for mothers birthplace and 1st car again even though I'd changed the questions. It said this security question was added july 2009, so I don't think they're messing with that, maybe yahoo is just taking too long to actually push the changes through for my security questions.

Can you call yahoo to get this straightened out?

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007

helopticor posted:

Can you call yahoo to get this straightened out?

I really don't care enough to spend time on the phone for that, I'll just make a new account. Right now I'm mainly curious how this is happening. (as in, if there's a botnet bruteforcing security questions of known-active accounts, If so, I guess I don't care, learned my lesson, but if pw fuckery was caused by something else I've got more important things than this yahoo account to worry about.)

edit: and I'm still good after the last reset. I clicked the forgot password thing again just to check, and my new security questions are coming up this time.

John Redcorn fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 1, 2011

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Would you feel awkward if a student researching you for a project called your home first instead of contacting you through e-mail?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

JDanielS posted:

Would you feel awkward if anyone you never met and hadn't specifically given your home number called it first instead of contacting you through e-mail?

More pissed off and annoyed but awkward works too. Did they tell you where they got your number in their first 10 words?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
They said through a professor I know; which, if the prof. really thought his research lined up with work I've done, doesn't sound entirely out-of-character, but still...awkward. Especially when you're not prepared to talk about something you wrote two years ago.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I sure hope you told the student that that was not acceptable behaviour. Students sometimes forget that professors are, in fact, real persons in their own rights, and are not available at all times for random discussions.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I myself am not a professor, just a senior. That probably makes it weirder. It had the feel of "What's all your research and sources?" though, which was seedy.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm wondering if a system like this exist when it comes to credit cards and purchasing online.

At my company, we currently take people's credit card information via fax/phone/e-mail and then enter it into a service that charges the credit card for us. The problem with this is that sometimes customers send us the incorrect credit card information and then we have to contact them to obtain the correct one - which draws out into days, even weeks.

I was wondering if there was a service/company where we can attach an invoice/enter in the amount a customer has to pay, which creates a link we can send to customers. The customer then goes to this link and fills out their credit card information and gets charged. Once the transaction is complete, it would notify us via e-mail that the transaction is complete. This way, we don't have to deal with entering the credit card information and the problem of incorrect credit card information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

This is really, really random but if anybody's bored and has HBO's Rome on DVD and wants to look something up from Season 1 - I've had this scene kicking around in my head for days (no idea why) and I finally remembered where it was from, but I can't remember the exact line.

The best I can remember is that Pullo kills the guy who wants to marry Eirene and Vorenus screams something like "You bring this carrion into my home?" at Pullo.

What did he actually say?