Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
Some randoms over the last month or so. All shot with a Yashica T2 and Fuji x-tra 400 film.

Untitled by Please Don't Shoot, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
I used to neck a couple of pints before wandering the streets because I was paranoid that people could hear the clicking shutter (I hipshoot) but to this day nobody has noticed and now I don't need the beers.

I still don't have the balls for out there eye shooting. Or actually talking to the randoms to get portraits.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004

Schofferhofer posted:

I used to neck a couple of pints before wandering the streets because I was paranoid that people could hear the clicking shutter (I hipshoot) but to this day nobody has noticed and now I don't need the beers.

I still don't have the balls for out there eye shooting. Or actually talking to the randoms to get portraits.

Sorry for this long post. It's just that I used to have trouble with being comfortable taking photos out in public and used to think asking people to take their photo would be the end of the world. Then I decided that was stupid so hopefully some of this will help people in similar situations.

You've just gotta zone yourself out. I usually just have headphones in listening to music when I go walking around to shoot. When you're in your own little world it doesn't really matter what's going on. I'll shoot away like I'm invisible. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that nobody really cares about you in the first place so them going out of their way to single you out for taking pictures is highly unlikely. I've learned this from my my graffiti friends and other fellow street photographers. I've seen people rip giant throwups on buildings in broad daylight and nobody even blinked. I once even saw cops drive by and not pay attention. Then again I live in downtown los angeles so maybe the heavy foot traffic helps with people being too busy to care but I've had similar experiences in small towns as well. People are a lot less aware of their surroundings than you'd imagine.

Sometimes I get people asking what camera I'm using when I have the Polaroid land 104 out. It just looks old and clunky sometimes people can't resist asking to which I don't mind talking about. I do a lot of stupid poo poo though so whenever I trip and fall or go out of my way to take a shot and look unusual people sometimes laugh or inspect what I'm doing which in turn makes me laugh a lot. It's just a lot of fun and that's the whole point. Enjoy yourself.

As far as asking randoms to take their picture I don't mind doing it because the worst thing they'll say is no. My worst situation ever was when I asked some homeless guy laying down reading a book in a sleeping bag (not old and raggy, he was actually kind of young looking and wasn't TOTALLY filthy) and he said no and as I walked away he asked why I wanted to take his picture. It was like 1am and I was tired so I didn't feel like going into discussion and I just told him I was going around small towns taking night shots for a photo project I'm working on and if he didn't want me to it wasn't a big deal. I said thanks anyways then ran away incase he was going to follow and rape me.

It really just depends on the type of person you ask. Average joe blow will probably say no and start asking questions. Interesting people, however, usually are pretty good about it. Old people, street performers, most homeless people, etc. Sometimes if a bum asks me for money I'll give him a dollar but only on the condition he lets me take a bunch of pictures of him. Verbal contract status. Then I get free reign all over his smelly rear end.

The only thing I still struggle with is people with disabilities or some sort of handicap. There's a guy on the corner of broadway and 7th who has stumps above his knees and he always just sits on the floor and reads a newspaper everyday. He's literally half a man and has no wheelchair or anything. And he always wears an awesome Indiana Jones looking hat. I really want to take a photo but the potential of me making him feel like I'm treating him special just because of his situation bothers me. I just don't want him to think I'm taking the photo to show people and be like LOL HALF A MAN and that I'm making fun of him in any way. I don't mean to single him out and I'd treat the photo just like any other street photo I'd take of a person, but let's be real if he had legs and didn't wear the hat he wouldn't be that interesting.

But yeah, just get out there and walk around like you're a ninja and you own the place. Ninjas are loving awesome and people know when you get in the way of a ninja you die. Hope this helps!

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone
I recently travelled to Germany on holidays, and took the occasional street-style shot when not drinking beer or eating schnitzel. I'm still working my way through the photos from the trip, but here a few so far:

Tourists at Nuremberg Castle by Craig F, on Flickr

On the way up Nuremberg Castle's tower by Craig F, on Flickr

Coffee break at the Sterntor (Star gate) by Craig F, on Flickr

Walking across spots by Craig F, on Flickr

... and one or two colour shots, just for something different.

162/365 - "Waiting at Heathrow Terminal 5" by Craig F, on Flickr

Couple leaving the Cologne Cathedral by Craig F, on Flickr

Boiler fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 13, 2011

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone
I'm loving Schofferhofer and Treble's work from the last few pages, too. Great stuff.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

Boiler posted:

I'm loving Schofferhofer and Treble's work from the last few pages, too. Great stuff.

Cheers bro. Means a bunch. Trebble is the man though. I can't compete.

It's winter here right now so I'll be a bit slow with images for at least another few months. Once the weather warms up though I'll be out shooting in a bunch of different locations around Sydney, I hope.

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001
Hello from Brazil.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Schofferhofer's photos make my want to go to Sydney instead of the one true city, Melbourne.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
Anybody do street shooting with a tlr? I wonder if the slower framing is offset by being more stealthy.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Fiannaiocht posted:

Anybody do street shooting with a tlr? I wonder if the slower framing is offset by being more stealthy.

It's not that much slower to frame once you get used to it. The slowness comes from focusing on ground glass, but if you pre-focus and use an aperture that gives you big depth of field, you can hit and run with the best of them.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Fiannaiocht posted:

She did: http://www.vivianmaier.com/ (quite an amazing story by the way).

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Schofferhofer's photos make my want to go to Sydney instead of the one true city, Melbourne.

I prefer to shoot in Melbourne, but thanks for the kudos. Add me on flickr and I'll hit you up next trip down.

Fiannaiocht posted:

Yeah I went out shooting with a mate who brought his Yashicamat and he managed quite well with it. He did spend more time with the F3/D700 though.

And I got to use a TLR for the first time ever which was awesommmeeee

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I'm not really a street photography kind of guy but I think these few photos are my attempts to shoot some street photography.

Serenity by alkanphel, on Flickr

Tsukiji Inner Market by alkanphel, on Flickr

Dilip Textiles by alkanphel, on Flickr

A Man's Back by alkanphel, on Flickr

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST
Learning!

Day 4 069 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

Day 4 076 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

Day 4 073 by tween_spirit, on Flickr

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004

slothmeister
May 25, 2011

Lloyds Perspective by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Posted these in SAD. It's pretty obvious when I look at all my street photos that I'm a total pussy when it comes to taking pictures of strangers head on. I really want to pick up the 85mm 1.8. I feel like an extra 35mm would help a bunch because I always feel like I'm just a little too close to be discreet.

Neal Street Smoker by bgibb187, on Flickr

Cyclist Wants Treats by bgibb187, on Flickr

Couple On Neal Street by bgibb187, on Flickr

Crazy Pants by bgibb187, on Flickr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think one thing is that there aren't really any outstanding elements in the photos. The people are just kind of standing there and the settings aren't particularly striking nor are there any quirky juxtapositions or anything like that.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

Posted these in SAD. It's pretty obvious when I look at all my street photos that I'm a total pussy when it comes to taking pictures of strangers head on. I really want to pick up the 85mm 1.8. I feel like an extra 35mm would help a bunch because I always feel like I'm just a little too close to be discreet.
I'd suggest moving in the other direction, and going wider/closer. I can't say I've seen many interesting street photos taken with telephoto lenses - you can't really get a feel for where you are, what is going on in the scene, etc., and it ends up looking like sports photography without the sports.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Crosspost of SAD... I tried this new genre. I must admit the thrill is quite fascinating, I will do it again.

IMG_5349 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_5361 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_5340 by avoyer, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

HPL posted:

I think one thing is that there aren't really any outstanding elements in the photos. The people are just kind of standing there and the settings aren't particularly striking nor are there any quirky juxtapositions or anything like that.

FasterThanLight posted:

I'd suggest moving in the other direction, and going wider/closer. I can't say I've seen many interesting street photos taken with telephoto lenses - you can't really get a feel for where you are, what is going on in the scene, etc., and it ends up looking like sports photography without the sports.

Thanks for the critique. I think I'll go out this afternoon with my Tamron 17-50 and try to shoot wider and see what kind of results I get.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Thoogsby posted:

Thanks for the critique. I think I'll go out this afternoon with my Tamron 17-50 and try to shoot wider and see what kind of results I get.

Wider as in aperture, he means. To avoid telephoto compression which removes you emotionally from a photo.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 2, 2011

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

traveling midget posted:

Wider as in aperture, he means. To avoid telephoto compression which removes you emotionally from a photo.

Now I'm confused. The above were all shot at f/1.8. You're saying wider than that?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I actually did mean wider angle. It definitely feels weird to get close to strangers and take photos, but I've found that most people just assume you're taking a picture of something else anyway...if they do notice, they're probably more likely to duck out of the way as to not "ruin" your shot than get upset.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Thoogsby posted:

Now I'm confused. The above were all shot at f/1.8. You're saying wider than that?

I'm also confused.

You were saying you wanted to go more telephoto, and he recommended wide/close. I thought he meant don't get an 85mm, stick with something wider for better DOF.

He was talking wider angle.

My bad :haw:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Took you guys critiques and went out today and tried to shoot wider and I think I came back with some stuff that's better than what I've been getting. But maybe I'm wrong.

Earlsham Girl by bgibb187, on Flickr

Pedicab Bridesmaids by bgibb187, on Flickr

I've also learned that there must be some type of universal law that states a fat unattractive man will ruin at least 50% of your photos.

Street Rule #1 by bgibb187, on Flickr

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Thoogsby posted:

Took you guys critiques and went out today and tried to shoot wider and I think I came back with some stuff that's better than what I've been getting. But maybe I'm wrong.
If you shoot wide you need to get close. Closer than I got with these:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Thoogsby posted:

Earlsham Girl by bgibb187, on Flickr

Pedicab Bridesmaids by bgibb187, on Flickr

I've also learned that there must be some type of universal law that states a fat unattractive man will ruin at least 50% of your photos.

Street Rule #1 by bgibb187, on Flickr

Not sure what I mean, but something about the processing is putting me off on these, they seem really like snapshots.

OK, I just spent 10 minutes looking at these and ducking about in PS and I think I figured it out. There really isn't anything to draw the eye into any particular area in the images, the rule of thirds is completely missing and your left with your eye wandering round 3 points where there is nothing of interest at all and nothing to draw you into the images.

In the first one my eye goes from Black Bollard --> Motif on the bar wall --> Girl walking away --> off the frame, then I have to go back and see the woman in the middle and non of it meshes together. The first set of 3 were better, but you need to overcome your fear and get round the front of people and bring some faces & expressions into the mix.

Hope that helps!

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
When you go WIDER you gotta get CLOSER.

Going wide and cropping works well too, but only if you're cropping a tad.

Get CLOSE.

BE BRUCE GILDEN

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
There's a great Magnum in motion where Bruce Gilden talks about his process a bit more. http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essay/short-interview-bruce-gilden

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
People in my town hate cameras

People of the North by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Bobsledboy posted:

There's a great Magnum in motion where Bruce Gilden talks about his process a bit more. http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essay/short-interview-bruce-gilden

This is really cool. Although I think I'd get my rear end kicked if I tried to pull off some of those moves.

Trying to get CLOSER.

Mercer Square Tourist by bgibb187, on Flickr

Old Man Mercer Square by bgibb187, on Flickr

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST

Schofferhofer posted:

When you go WIDER you gotta get CLOSER.

Get CLOSE.

BE BRUCE GILDEN

This is what I do, and it's a TON of fun but it's very hit or miss to get the shot you want. I guess that's what practice is for :)

If you're really scared put on like a hat and sunglasses and sneakers or something if that gives you confidence to hide/run. And put your camera on whatever kind of silent mode it may have.

tween_spirit fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 3, 2011

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
Do any of you guys shoot 35mm with a waist level finder? I'm figuring out if the stealthiness of a tlr with the ammo and automation of 35mm make it a pretty good combo or if the smaller frame size makes it harder to compose/focus from a distance.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004

Fiannaiocht posted:

Do any of you guys shoot 35mm with a waist level finder? I'm figuring out if the stealthiness of a tlr with the ammo and automation of 35mm make it a pretty good combo or if the smaller frame size makes it harder to compose/focus from a distance.

I just picked up a Yashica T4 Super D and I love the waist level finder on it. It's kind of small but it's surprisingly clear, and easy to use. It's hit and miss sometimes but for what it is, it's pretty awesome.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Bouncing a couple of ideas off you guys here:

-Hidden video camera like a GoPro. Turn camera on, walk by subject or stand near subject, capture a few seconds then turn camera off. Do a frame grab off of the video later.

-Radio remote trigger on a DSLR like a Cactus V5 so you can hang the camera in front of you and take photos with the remote while pretending to read a newspaper or something.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

HPL posted:

Bouncing a couple of ideas off you guys here:

-Hidden video camera like a GoPro. Turn camera on, walk by subject or stand near subject, capture a few seconds then turn camera off. Do a frame grab off of the video later.

-Radio remote trigger on a DSLR like a Cactus V5 so you can hang the camera in front of you and take photos with the remote while pretending to read a newspaper or something.

This is some James Bond poo poo.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Or..you could just hold the camera up and pretend to be checking/cleaning it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
I just wear sunglasses and have the camera slung over my shoulder, me facing the opposite direction and using a remote release in my pocket to fire off frames.

And then other times I just walk up and take the photo, check it in front of them, then walk off.

You can get away with a lot when you're a foot taller than your subjects.