Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Say something in the channel if you're looking for people to team with. There's always people around. They might not chat or answer questions, but when you're offering a team they usually speak up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Aphrodite posted:

Say something in the channel if you're looking for people to team with. There's always people around. They might not chat or answer questions, but when you're offering a team they usually speak up.

See in my experience it's the opposite. People will chat up a storm but the second you say "Anyone up for teaming?" the whole chat goes dead.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

FlyinPingu posted:

But yeah I'd totally shell out like 10 dollars to build my own sidekick. Probably couldn't let your freeform them as that would horribly break the game, but making a guy and slapping an archetype on him would be pretty cool.

I've yet to put any money into this game, but this here would get my :10bux: easily.

You'd probably have to make sidekicks work more like summonable pets rather than have them constantly in-world. If nothing else so your sidekick inevitably getting stuck on a wall would be less of an issue.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Aphrodite posted:

Double post!

Just got an honorable mention in a Duo Costume Contest. You could have been there Pingu, way to drop the ball.

I'm starting to rethink that decision on Vermire.

The Garrus is jjac. I don't know what his forum name is. It might even be jjac.

Yes, finally more Mass Effect characters.

updated link.. should work if you grab it now

I couldn't find anything to match her helmet more closely :( If anyone has any ideals let me know

edit: chat is offline??!! :O

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV I don't think that would work too good.. Unless I did a naked Tali..

Danith fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 1, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Persian veil, maybe?

Edit: Oh right. I was thinking it was eyes, but it's a mouth accessory.

By the way, imgur destroys costume files so uploading them there is pointless.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 1, 2011

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

randombattle posted:

See in my experience it's the opposite. People will chat up a storm but the second you say "Anyone up for teaming?" the whole chat goes dead.

Pretty much exactly this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you just want to team in general, forget it until like Vibora. The game's not built for that, you spend too much time outside, and it's usually more dull than soloing.

You're also probably not going to find goon teams early on weekends, or during typical work hours in this game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I feel like this is a larger problem in MMORPGs in general. Trying to convince people to group with you in the area chat is so unnatural, as is sending out invites to anyone who might just be passing by. There are so many better ways you could handle it.

In fact, I've often thought it would be awesome if an MMORPG had a dedicated "Team with Me" button. You stand in place and press it, and your character strikes a pose and glows, indicating to anyone who sees you that you're looking for a group. Then people just have to click you once and they're instantly grouped, with you as group leader. So if you're going to do an instance and want to form a team for it, you just stand in front of the instance entrance, press the button, and wait for a few people to join up.

You could also do "passive teaming," similar to something like Spiral Knights. If you have Passive Teaming turned on, when you enter an instance at the same time other Passive Teaming-enabled players are entering the same instance, you will automatically be teamed and appear in the same instance.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The problem in CO is that there's literally no reason to team up since everything is soloable and doing it with a team doesn't necessarily get you better EXP/loot. Even the most challenging end-game dungeon (Therakiel's Lair) gives poo poo loot compared to just doing Serpent Lantern on Very Hard by yourself.

It's an awful pity because the fight with Therakiel is one of the coolest loving boss fights in any MMO and really plays up the whole blocking/movement aspect of the game that you don't really get in any of the other major fights.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Doing an Adventure Pack or Comic Series with a full team of 5 on elite will get you better equipment than you would get doing it alone.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Equipment is pointless either way.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Rocketlex posted:

I feel like this is a larger problem in MMORPGs in general. Trying to convince people to group with you in the area chat is so unnatural, as is sending out invites to anyone who might just be passing by. There are so many better ways you could handle it.

In fact, I've often thought it would be awesome if an MMORPG had a dedicated "Team with Me" button. You stand in place and press it, and your character strikes a pose and glows, indicating to anyone who sees you that you're looking for a group. Then people just have to click you once and they're instantly grouped, with you as group leader. So if you're going to do an instance and want to form a team for it, you just stand in front of the instance entrance, press the button, and wait for a few people to join up.

You could also do "passive teaming," similar to something like Spiral Knights. If you have Passive Teaming turned on, when you enter an instance at the same time other Passive Teaming-enabled players are entering the same instance, you will automatically be teamed and appear in the same instance.

Planetside had this exact thing, and I'm surprised more MMOs don't. There was a Looking for Squad toggle that put said phrase above your head. You could even be Looking for Squad Members if you were a team leader.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

STO has autoteaming. It's annoying, nobody uses it.

People generally don't want to be randomly slapped into teams.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Doing a Lair or Adventure Pack or the like in a full group is far, far more fun. Which, more than loot or any of that stuff is the reason to do it. It's just the twin problems of having people you actually like doing it with you, and that there really isn't all that much replayability to the endgame content.

Personally I don't really see this as a critical problem, but mostly after years spent raiding in WoW I am very, very glad there's absolutely nothing like that sort of mindset involved in the game here.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Asimo posted:

Doing a Lair or Adventure Pack or the like in a full group is far, far more fun. Which, more than loot or any of that stuff is the reason to do it. It's just the twin problems of having people you actually like doing it with you, and that there really isn't all that much replayability to the endgame content.

Speaking of this, I'm going over Dynamo Lass' build and considering a retcon to a LR-BCR&RR dodge tank setup. How useful/necessary are Challenging Strikes and Crippling challenge? I've never really tried to 'tank' in CO before.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Speaking of this, I'm going over Dynamo Lass' build and considering a retcon to a LR-BCR&RR dodge tank setup. How useful/necessary are Challenging Strikes and Crippling challenge? I've never really tried to 'tank' in CO before.
"Very". While being incredibly durable and tankish in terms of taking damage is fairly easy, unless you have a few seconds head start or a big alpha strike it can be hard to get a hold on a big target against a twinked out damage-dealer build, but with those advantages and the Protector role they'll be on you like glue. More importantly though is the debuffs attached to them, as it reduces the enemy's damage by 20% and 5% (for crippling challenge and challenging strikes respectively) for several seconds, or as long as they keep attacking you. As you'll probably be stacking things like IDF and self-heals and whatever, yet more effective damage resistance goes a long way in survivability.

That said, there's probably folks here with more "endgame experience" than me. My level 40 Might guy doesn't have either (since I set him up for DPS, I forgot to throw it onto mighty leap or something, and I'm too lazy to respec) and just throwing on Defiance (and IDF/BCR) and the Protector role and I'm able to survive and hold aggro easily enough against, say, the undead heroes during Blood Moon or whatever. So anecdotally it probably isn't required if you're running with pubbies. But that said, if a dedicated tank swings by they'll pull off me in seconds even if it's midway through the battle, so it's definitely noticeable.

Habits
Feb 25, 2008

Assume an accursed shape
cleanse through purity within
The game has an almost creepy quality to it with chat being offline. Sometimes I can see Local chat bubbles but nothing ever shows up in the chat window..

Have they said what they will be adding with the DX11 mode?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Huh, I didn't even know they added a DX11 mode. :stare: It's actually (semi-)implemented already. It looks a little dark and metallic textures are noticeable with all the lighting changes, and takes like ten minutes to first load for some reason. But wow, it runs smooth; I gained like 10-15 FPS with it.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Does Reaper's Caress make an ok substitute for Scything Blade? I originally wanted to use scything blade as my starter power(like all the guide builds suggest) but I can only start with Reaper's Caress.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Does Reaper's Caress make an ok substitute for Scything Blade? I originally wanted to use scything blade as my starter power(like all the guide builds suggest) but I can only start with Reaper's Caress.

Once you get to the powerhouse, retcon out of Caress and take Scything.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Oh wow I forgot about retconning nevermind, thanks!

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Aphrodite posted:

Persian veil, maybe?

Edit: Oh right. I was thinking it was eyes, but it's a mouth accessory.

By the way, imgur destroys costume files so uploading them there is pointless.

I always forget the public folder in dropbox.. updated the costume file link so it should work now if you try to grab it

edit: seriously, chat still down??! Are any of you using something else to chat? I can't play CO without goon chat :(

Danith fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 1, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chat's by character right now. Some will connect on login, some won't.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They should really just make everything "free" in the powerhouse until you leave for the first time. I have enough subscriber perks to have the resources to respec out of the first power by just talking to Defender and doing the gimme perk quest outside the power house, but it's still faintly annoying to do that just to have a decent low-tier power.

But yeah. Cryptic doesn't make it obvious, but there's absolutely no reason to keep the default non-energy-builder power. Some of them are alright or have useful advantages, but in most cases they're rapidly obsoleted by something better, possibly right at level five there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've had enough perks now that I have the cash to do it right out of the tutorial.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Asimo posted:

They should really just make everything "free" in the powerhouse until you leave for the first time. I have enough subscriber perks to have the resources to respec out of the first power by just talking to Defender and doing the gimme perk quest outside the power house, but it's still faintly annoying to do that just to have a decent low-tier power.

But yeah. Cryptic doesn't make it obvious, but there's absolutely no reason to keep the default non-energy-builder power. Some of them are alright or have useful advantages, but in most cases they're rapidly obsoleted by something better, possibly right at level five there.

An option to enter the game "blank" when you skip the tutorial would be very nice. Lord knows how annoying it is to scrape up the resources for removing the crappy tier 0 power.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I've been looking this up, but is there really no way to send resources to your alts? The suggested way is to buy something expensive, send the item to your alt, then resell it, but is there a less convoluted way of doing this?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I've been looking this up, but is there really no way to send resources to your alts? The suggested way is to buy something expensive, send the item to your alt, then resell it, but is there a less convoluted way of doing this?

Nope.

Also the specific items you want to buy are on the crafting vendors.

They're at the bottom of the list, they have them for .5, 1 and 2g (Plus change.) They sell for the same as you buy them for.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Best way is to mail your alt some trash gear you can't break down so they call sell it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

They're at the bottom of the list, they have them for .5, 1 and 2g (Plus change.) They sell for the same as you buy them for.

Wait, so instead of letting you mail resources they just put vendor items in that are basically just there to transfer resources with? :psyduck:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Wait, so instead of letting you mail resources they just put vendor items in that are basically just there to transfer resources with? :psyduck:
Well, they have other uses. But they're just convenient for moneylending. But yeah, I can't wait for the shared bank in the Headquarters.

Also, is it wrong of me that I decided to stop leveling my Telekinesis alt because I realized they really, really need the sci-fi costume set and/or jetpack flight? :negative:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's really wrong of you to have a Retro Sci-Fi character that isn't Munitions, if that's what you're asking.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's really wrong of you to have a Retro Sci-Fi character that isn't Munitions, if that's what you're asking.
Bah. Munitions has too many bullets and rockets, not enough vague energy weapon laser blasty things. :colbert: Which on that note makes me wonder if the Gadgeteering additions later this month will add enough blaster powers to make a viable subset there.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
IMO retro scifi = lasers and sonic weapons and heat rays and other things that go woobwoobwoob or fweeeee when you shoot them.

Pulp scifi = ACTION SCIENTIST WITH BULLET PISTOL

And the costumes work beautifully for both. :allears:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Anyone have any advice on playing a Grimoire, other than Teleport, drop my pets, teleport out, spam bolts, win?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Musket posted:

Anyone have any advice on playing a Grimoire, other than Teleport, drop my pets, teleport out, spam bolts, win?

Mix it up with bestial and bleed and Devour Essence with Phlebotomist and Howl and drop pets and stay near them and have more fun.

Oh wait, Grimoire is the archetype? Welp.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

terminal mehmet posted:

Mix it up with bestial and bleed and Devour Essence with Phlebotomist and Howl and drop pets and stay near them and have more fun.

Oh wait, Grimoire is the archetype? Welp.

Yea, I am experimenting with archetypes at the moment while i get a feel for the game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

Bah. Munitions has too many bullets and rockets, not enough vague energy weapon laser blasty things. :colbert: Which on that note makes me wonder if the Gadgeteering additions later this month will add enough blaster powers to make a viable subset there.

No. It adds 2.

doomfunk posted:

IMO retro scifi = lasers and sonic weapons and heat rays and other things that go woobwoobwoob or fweeeee when you shoot them.

Yeah, but Experimental Blaster and the other one suck so your best choice is still Munitions with a Shelley blaster skin.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Friendly Factory posted:

I've been kinda blitzing through some free MMOs since I finally upgraded my PC recently and I think this one has grabbed me the most. One question though: is it possible to respec for free or do I have to buy something with real money to do so? I don't want to gently caress up my character irreversibly.

Gold members get one free respec when they hit 40.

You have to pay any other time. You can pay with in-game currency too, but that quickly becomes too expensive.