Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Imajus posted:

Has anyone had any success using linkedin? I actually got my current job because the HR person did a search on linkedin. Is this a common occurrence?

I get a ton of recruiter mail FROM linkedin and probably troll through it once a month for potential candidates, but I'll generally break the networking rules and contact them via Facebook since people are generally impressed with the extra attention and makes you more "real" as a person instead of an annoying recruiter-type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Shalinor posted:

Be interesting and confident, and come shake my hand and introduce yourself.

And maybe buy me a drink, but ask first, since I don't do beer.

You kind of have an advantage in games, though. I'm probably wandering around the crowd just as bewildered as to how to start conversations as you are - I mostly look for an interesting conversation with a crowd, listen, and interject if I have something entertaining/whatever to add. Most of us suck at glad handing, so just bulling in with a pleasant demeanor and can-do attitude is often enough to set you well above everyone else.
Do you do hard cider? I'm a Woodchuck's fan.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

GetWellGamers posted:

I find "So how's the show treatin' ya?" to be a great GDC/E3/etc. opener, because it's not something you'd know offhand (As opposed to the weather) and you know they've got an opinion on it (As opposed to asking about sports teams or other things they might have zero interest in) with the added bonus that people always like to talk about themselves. And no matter what their answer is, there's always an obvious next step- Sympathy if they say it's going poorly, specifics if it's going well, and camaraderie if it's a more neutral "Just surviving, you?"

Furthermore, all avenues segue easily into the next one, "Who're you here with?" at which point you've broken the ice enough to actually start talking business. I've done it at bars, sandwich lines, booths, buses, everywhere, and it really works. And what Shalinor said is really true- we're all still pretty nerdy at these things, and I get the sense at some gatherings that everyone's only faking being sociable and they'd rather be having the conversations we're having while playing Bomberman or something.
Thanks for the tips!

And Shin, yeah, it's worth going if you have the money or want to volunteer (or if you're press). :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

M4rk posted:

Do you do hard cider? I'm a Woodchuck's fan.
I love hard cider, mead, wine, etc in moderation, cuba libres, whiskey, whatever. Just not beer - I am, somehow, allergic to beer (and basically only beer). Malt and hops. I mean who the hell is allergic to malt and hops? That's like, beer, and... malt balls. Man, I loved malt balls too.

GetWellGamers posted:

we're all still pretty nerdy at these things, and I get the sense at some gatherings that everyone's only faking being sociable and they'd rather be having the conversations we're having while playing Bomberman or something.
I have never been to one of the parties, but it seems to me that the proper way of doing those would be to cram a room full of alcohol, comic books, action figures, listening stations for geek music, and a metric ton of video game machines / arcades, and just let 'er rip.

Talking in the crowd with quarters balanced on the SFII Turbo machine's bezel would be way, way better than making small talk around the one convenient table to rest your drink on.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 2, 2011

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Shalinor posted:

I love hard cider, mead, wine, etc in moderation, cuba libres, whiskey, whatever. Just not beer - I am, somehow, allergic to beer (and basically only beer). Malt and hops. I mean who the hell is allergic to malt and hops? That's like, beer, and... malt balls. Man, I loved malt balls too.
I'm glad they don't make alcoholic beverage out of amoxicillin, or I'd be in the same boat...

I pretty much stick to cider, though. Everything else except whiskey mixed with various sugary energy drinks makes me sick.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I recall at the lamer parties in GDC the best opener was collaboratively trying to figure out what drink you could get with your drink ticket (gently caress DRINK TICKETS) that would maximize your alcohol content.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

I recall at the lamer parties in GDC the best opener was collaboratively trying to figure out what drink you could get with your drink ticket (gently caress DRINK TICKETS) that would maximize your alcohol content.
Long Island ice tea. Probably the best option for drinkability and high alcohol content.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

Long Island ice tea. Probably the best option for drinkability and high alcohol content.

Fitting, considering it's a prohibition-era cocktail. It's basically designed to get you as drunk as possible with as little booze as possible!

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Shalinor posted:

Back in my Texas days I was able to down two of these suckers. Now I can't even handle a mouthful.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I like the Tokyo variant- the bright green color makes me feel like it's the future or something. :science:

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Kind of related to the discussion we were having about used game sales earlier:
Diablo 3 will be on-line only, no mods, loot can be sold to other players for real money.
I'm sure there is another thread on this topic but of course I am more interested in the thoughts of industry folks.
Personally I think it's unfortunate that we have to go here but if this is what it takes for AAA single-player experiences to have a viable business model in the future I can live with it. I'm actually more crestfallen about shutting down the mod scene than I am about on-line connection being required.
Basically I think we're headed for a world where all big-budget games function like MMOs whether they have any meaningful multiplayer component or not.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

DancingMachine posted:

Diablo 3 will be on-line only, no mods, loot can be sold to other players for real money.
I'm sure there is another thread on this topic but of course I am more interested in the thoughts of industry folks.
Personally I think it's unfortunate that we have to go here but if this is what it takes for AAA single-player experiences to have a viable business model in the future I can live with it. I'm actually more crestfallen about shutting down the mod scene than I am about on-line connection being required.
Basically I think we're headed for a world where all big-budget games function like MMOs whether they have any meaningful multiplayer component or not.

I think the really interesting part of the game, that really demands a consistent online connection, is the Real Money auction house. Without storing your character/save server-side, the Real Money auction house is prone to massive security issues and abuse, which would kill faith in it. Given how they're pushing multiplayer overall with this, at this point, you pretty much have to force everyone online or else you create a massive barrier to entry to online after someone starts a single player, off-line character, which will most likely keep a lot of people out of the multiplayer, were it to exist.

At that point, forcing people online to support the Real Money and to make it easy to transition to online, killing mods and the DRM aspect is a 'bonus.'

I'm not really 100% sold on it, but a lot of that has to do with it being a Diablo sequel. If it was a different IP without pre-existing expectations I think it would be an easier sell.

In general I think the shifting of pre-existing IP to new methodologies and monetization systems poses a problem, because pre-existing expectations color the new system as a shortcoming/withholding/punishment, rather than a value-add.

To illustrate my point, imagine a new sports game with a rigorous RPG/team management aspect. With the online pass, you can create your own team and take them online, building them up, trading players with other people, getting weekly roster updates of real teams, in-game highlight reels taken from important matches in the online meta-game that are played between other people, etc. This sounds like a value-add, until you call it Madden 2013.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think an important question to ask about the constant online connection DRM that's been cropping up lately is have no-DRM games been wildly less profitable than games with DRM? It's a difficult comparison, since of course each individual game is going to have its own level of popularly and sales.

I guess the constant online connection is also meant to curb hacking, since with a real money market in the game, cheating not only becomes a gameplay issue, but an issue involving real world dollars. I don't think it will actually do anything to reduce hacking itself, but it means that they can ban people from the game entirely. Though I suppose that raises the question; why not simply ban people from using the auction house if they're caught cheating? That would take away the need for the constant connection while still allowing them to purge hackers from affecting the game economy.

It strikes me as something that's going to piss people off, though, and it might have been a better move, at least from a PR perspective, to make the auction house an "opt-in" option. So you could play the single player game offline as with the previous Diablo titles, but characters played offline would be barred access from the auction house - only those that are played entirely online would be eligible. Which is essentially just how multiplayer from Diablo 2 works, so I'm not sure why they felt they needed to reinvent the wheel.

*edit*

It strikes me that it might have come off better if instead of talking about "requiring a constant connection", they should have just said the game was "entirely multiplayer". Most people already played Diablo 2 like that anyway - even if they soloed, because Battle.net characters had access to some content that didn't exist in single player. The way they've phrased it, it sounds like intrusive DRM rather than just the exact same way that Diablo 2 already worked.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 2, 2011

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

DancingMachine posted:

To be fair, it's Blizzard were talking about here. Their business model is already viable but as a business, they have a responsability towards their shareholders to make as much money as they can.

I don't really know what to add here... No matter what cheap shot they make, the fans will buy the game. Honestly, I don't care all that much about the always online DRM, Those that played D2 couldn't play the game offline unless in singleplayer and would be booted out of the game if they lost connection so the DRM point is kinda moot (who plays singleplayer anyways?).

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think an important question to ask about the constant online connection DRM that's been cropping up lately is have no-DRM games been wildly less profitable than games with DRM? It's a difficult comparison, since of course each individual game is going to have its own level of popularly and sales.

I guess the constant online connection is also meant to curb hacking, since with a real money market in the game, cheating not only becomes a gameplay issue, but an issue involving real world dollars. I don't think it will actually do anything to reduce hacking itself, but it means that they can ban people from the game entirely. Though I suppose that raises the question; why not simply ban people from using the auction house if they're caught cheating? That would take away the need for the constant connection while still allowing them to purge hackers from affecting the game economy.

The indie experiments with/without DRM have shown that about 90% of your calls home will be from pirate accounts no matter how much or how little DRM you have. Whether or not those people were 'lost sales' is a different argument and one we really should avoid.

People can, and will, attempt to hack the system, but by storing everything server-side you reduce a lot of the damage and exploitation they can perform. To instill faith in a real-dollars system, they need to have a pretty secure system, or else it's not going to take off very well.

Magic the Gathering Online is a great example of a relatively secure game system that keeps people from being able to exploit it to manipulate their (or other people's) collections, etc. It's required, or else no one would buy into the system (which charges $4 for a booster pack of fake cards), plus they have a redemption system that lets you turn your fake cards into physical cards, so they need to protect against people exploiting data to attempt to get a physical product. Additionally, their system in particular (which is not viable for a realtime action game) never sends 'hidden' information to the client, so there is no way to hack to view your opponent's hand, etc.

As far as I know, the majority of WoW hacking that happens is account theft, not data manipulation, and they need that same level of security to instill faith in the system. People stealing accounts will probably always happen, but the possibility for someone to mass-dupe your Stone of $10 would kill customer faith in the system.

And since they're clearly trying to monetize the game with their Real Money auctions, they need that faith. At that point, the DRM aspect is just added bonus.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

If anyone hasn't been following it, the SA GameDev VI entries are up for playing and voting on. Roughly the same number of entries as last year, but I think the quality's gone way up (probably because of Unity and Stencyl/Flixel/etc, and we appear to have drafted more artists this year).

Which also means, judges, get ready to get your judge on.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

The indie experiments with/without DRM have shown that about 90% of your calls home will be from pirate accounts no matter how much or how little DRM you have. Whether or not those people were 'lost sales' is a different argument and one we really should avoid.

Well, what I was going for is that "lost sales" is completely irrelevant if there's no significant difference between piracy rates for DRM and no-DRM games. If DRM literally makes no difference in how much something is pirated, then why bother with it at all?

I think that's kind of a different discussion though; for Diablo 3 I think their goal is to defeat hackers rather than to curb piracy.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

What time of day is the IRC channel generally populated? I pop in every once in a while and I'll see maybe one other person in there.

Have you guys decided on a place and a time for a developer PAX meetup? Know of any that are going on?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Chainclaw posted:

What time of day is the IRC channel generally populated? I pop in every once in a while and I'll see maybe one other person in there.

Have you guys decided on a place and a time for a developer PAX meetup? Know of any that are going on?

We have an IRC channel?

WRT to Diablo 3: Short of demanding your first-borne, I don't think there's anything that Blizzard could do, DRM-wise or anything else, to turn people away from clickclickclickclickclickclickclickOOHGREENclickclickclickclickclickclickclick. Any other company, or game, maybe they have trouble, but for the most part I don't think the presence of DRM has ever really done anything to stop people from buying games, except say bombing Spore's Amazon reviews.

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 2, 2011

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

We have an IRC channel?

WRT to Diablo 3: Short of demanding your first-borne, I don't think there's anything that Blizzard could do, DRM-wise or anything else, to turn people away from clickclickclickclickclickclickclickOOHGREENclickclickclickclickclickclickclick.

Yeah, #gamedevgoons on SynIRC (check the OP, there's lots of great info there).

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

1stGear posted:

I'm eyeing QA jobs because frankly working in the poo poo pit would be better than working in a gas station and I'm running into lots of "1 year of experience required". Is that just a thing they throw up there because that's what the company would like to have or am I actually hosed?

I just got a job as in-house QA working with a good bunch of people closely with the map guys/devs. I had no experience and I'm getting along just fine, I love my job.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well, what I was going for is that "lost sales" is completely irrelevant if there's no significant difference between piracy rates for DRM and no-DRM games. If DRM literally makes no difference in how much something is pirated, then why bother with it at all?

I think that's kind of a different discussion though; for Diablo 3 I think their goal is to defeat hackers rather than to curb piracy.

If you spend $100K or even $1MM to make a game, piracy is not that big a deal. Either the game takes off and gets popular, and you make a bunch of money, or it doesn't. But if you spend tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to make a game, piracy is a big, huge deal. And making a game function technically like an MMO is a very effective (probably the only effective) piracy deterrent. Server-side game logic and data storage is beyond DRM... it actually works, heh.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Chainclaw posted:

Yeah, #gamedevgoons on SynIRC (check the OP, there's lots of great info there).

The channel was deregistered the other day :( If it's up and populated cool, if not I'm going to make a new one when I get home.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Well Its these guys again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

I still don't see any animation or anything past a pretty static environment?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So I managed to get a job in QA as a Functionality Tester for a third party group that supplies testing for most of the major groups out there, which is pretty good. At the moment i'm just looking for work and going into this line of work is a step in the right direction for me, just to gain some notable experience to put on my CV. I have a degree in Computing Software Engineering, but my experience is very limited and I think this is causing problems for me trying to find work.

I have my own thoughts about games journalism, having sort of worked in and out of it for the past 5 years, but I don't want to insult anyone who might be working within it. The short conclusion mainly is not to bother, because the ability to get anywhere within this area is very poor. If you're earning money from writing, consider yourself extremely lucky. If not look elsewhere immediately, because unless you have a sizeable amount of contacts and are willing to persevere for a considerable amount of time, it's just not worth the hassle. You'd be better spending your time learning to become a movie/arts critic. A big problem with games journalism is that it gathers zero respect whatsoever from the entertainment world. You are despised by developers/publishers and ridiculed by other entertainment critics. It's just not worth it anymore.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

concerned mom posted:

Well Its these guys again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

I still don't see any animation or anything past a pretty static environment?
I get that they're just showing off their tech, and if they can deliver what they promise then that'll honestly be amazing, but their world just looks like HD minecraft.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Whalley posted:

I get that they're just showing off their tech, and if they can deliver what they promise then that'll honestly be amazing, but their world just looks like HD minecraft.

I'd love to know where they get the RAM for that there unlimited detail.

For example, they say that their environment is built out 21,623,524,350,000 triangles, at even a single byte per element that's over 21 terabytes of data. Now obviously they're using some incredibly heavy instancing which would cut that data down by several factors, and they probably have some pretty hardcore compression in there, but it'd still seems like that would be an absolutely prohibitive amount of data.

Not saying it's impossible to do what they've shown, though. Just highly improbable.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've been following that since the beginning. The two things I'd like to see in that technology is animation and physics. The shadows are cool.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I and a bunch of other artists were watching that yesterday at work and the best comment that was made was "Well, that's good for us! They'll have to get SOMEONE to paint all those dirt particles!"

I can see this possibly being a cool and useful tool to use in conjunction with existing tech, but realism is rarely ever the desired result of most games. We all laughed at the bad examples they used to show polys' limits when they said "Now, this isn't the artist's fault, but the tech!" when it was an obviously poorly-made or quickly-made asset.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
They've never shown a world that isn't heavily instanced - I'd love to see an actual world.

I'd also love to see their foliage move in the wind, because I suspect that they couldn't handle something like that (even if they could handle rigged characters, which is also doubtful).

I'm still not sure who their target audience is, either - they obviously don't have a game engine here, just a rendering pipeline, and it hasn't demonstrated any of the systems required to make a game.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AntiPseudonym posted:

I'd love to know where they get the RAM for that there unlimited detail.

For example, they say that their environment is built out 21,623,524,350,000 triangles, at even a single byte per element that's over 21 terabytes of data. Now obviously they're using some incredibly heavy instancing which would cut that data down by several factors, and they probably have some pretty hardcore compression in there, but it'd still seems like that would be an absolutely prohibitive amount of data.

Not saying it's impossible to do what they've shown, though. Just highly improbable.

They are just using voxels and figured out a way to efficiently change the LoD and cull unseen voxels.

Using doubles for position and a 32bit color value(RGBA), one voxel takes up 36 bytes in memory.

Sigma-X posted:

They've never shown a world that isn't heavily instanced - I'd love to see an actual world.

I'd also love to see their foliage move in the wind, because I suspect that they couldn't handle something like that (even if they could handle rigged characters, which is also doubtful).

I'm still not sure who their target audience is, either - they obviously don't have a game engine here, just a rendering pipeline, and it hasn't demonstrated any of the systems required to make a game.

I'd like to see a scene of a current game using that technology and a comparison of the resources required.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 2, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Hmm, is this a good or bad thing? Sony just acquired Sucker Punch.

On the one hand, I cringe when an independent studio I dig gets acquired, but on the other, MS and Sony acquisitions usually seem to go pretty well for the devs. Sucker Punch has also effectively been under Sony's wing for years anyways, so... hmm.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Shalinor posted:

Hmm, is this a good or bad thing? Sony just acquired Sucker Punch.

On the one hand, I cringe when an independent studio I dig gets acquired, but on the other, MS and Sony acquisitions usually seem to go pretty well for the devs. Sucker Punch has also effectively been under Sony's wing for years anyways, so... hmm.

I think it's just an exercise in formality because as you stated, Sucker Punch has been pretty much a Sony dev for a rather long time now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucker_Punch_Productions

I never really cared for their games :shobon:

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

WMain00 posted:

I have my own thoughts about games journalism, having sort of worked in and out of it for the past 5 years, but I don't want to insult anyone who might be working within it. The short conclusion mainly is not to bother, because the ability to get anywhere within this area is very poor. If you're earning money from writing, consider yourself extremely lucky. If not look elsewhere immediately, because unless you have a sizeable amount of contacts and are willing to persevere for a considerable amount of time, it's just not worth the hassle. You'd be better spending your time learning to become a movie/arts critic. A big problem with games journalism is that it gathers zero respect whatsoever from the entertainment world. You are despised by developers/publishers and ridiculed by other entertainment critics. It's just not worth it anymore.

Can you talk more about that last part, it sounds interesting.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Imajus posted:

Has anyone had any success using linkedin? I actually got my current job because the HR person did a search on linkedin. Is this a common occurrence?

In the last 2 weeks I've been approached by 6 different head hunters on LinkedIn for positions that include working for a large French based publisher and a certain Japanese company with a long running Fantasy RPG franchise. All have asked if I was available for work. I am however not as my SO just applied for a 4 year uni course.

Still, I'm quite happy being where I am for the moment and I want her to have this oppurunity that she would otherwise never have.

I am the best bf.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So what do you guys recommend as far as making one's LinkedIn profile more appealing and easier to find? I've just been doing whatever I thought was best, but I'm curious if there are groups I should be joining and certain buzzwords I should be using.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/worthdayley

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Monster w21 Faces posted:

In the last 2 weeks I've been approached by 6 different head hunters on LinkedIn for positions that include working for a large French based publisher and a certain Japanese company with a long running Fantasy RPG franchise. All have asked if I was available for work. I am however not as my SO just applied for a 4 year uni course.

Still, I'm quite happy being where I am for the moment and I want her to have this oppurunity that she would otherwise never have.

I am the best bf.
I'd make a snarky comment based on those last two lines, but I'd never hear the end of it...

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

mutata posted:

So what do you guys recommend as far as making one's LinkedIn profile more appealing and easier to find? I've just been doing whatever I thought was best, but I'm curious if there are groups I should be joining and certain buzzwords I should be using.

Don't use a photo like this for your profile pic.

EDIT: Also yeah, find groups to join. If you're not sure which ones to join seek out your peers and copy them!

M4rk posted:

I'd make a snarky comment based on those last two lines, but I'd never hear the end of it...

Go for it!

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

mutata posted:

Use correct grammar, first off (capitalize them letters, boy).

Second, add as much info as possible at first, then come back later with a fresh pair of eyes and remove the fat.

Also, every time you update your profile or post a status update, it gets pushed onto the daily/weekly email stack for your connections to see.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/mwilhelm

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Go for it!
It had to do with men being the unfortunate, silent victims of female ambition. :tinfoil:

M4rk fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
I think as a gender we've had things pretty cushy up to this point. If I have to stay put for 4 years so that in future I can repeatedly move her around the world it’s a price I’m willing to pay. ;)