Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

SaviourX posted:

I think I'd go with PC Gamer UK's reactions a little more than PCG US (if it even exists?). I mean, major releases have always been hyperbolic, but if they were fine with the PC version, then it can't be all bad!

Also, petitioning to have launch thread title include 'Sci-Fi CoD' in there somewhere. Like, literally the gaming public has no memory beyond 5 years or so.

This was from three pages ago but I went digging through a mountain of magazines and PC Gamer US gave the first game a 94% while PC Gamer UK gave Invisible War a 92%. Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Gaming "journalism" is garbage across the board, it's best to just ignore it entirely.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Read the text, read the plus and minus.
Ignore the overall score.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zedd posted:

If you ever read an Alpha Protocol review, you should know to ignore reviews entirely.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dr. Stab posted:

If you ever read an Alpha Protocol review, you should know to ignore reviews entirely.
Touché.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I really dig how the big budget of a major production company is finally behind a well crafted labor of love like Deus Ex. Fallout came close but it still had that shoe-horned into Bethesda's latest fps-rpg engine feel.

Chemical_Ali
Sep 30, 2005

War Criminal
This is out tomorrow?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chemical_Ali posted:

This is out tomorrow?

3 weeks from tomorrow in North America.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm gonna try my damndest to play through Deus Ex again before HR comes out since I'm effectively done with summer classes as of tomorrow.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Please someone tell me this game comes out on Tuesday for those in the EU, on Steam. I work Friday evenings and across the entire weekend, I don't want to wait another week. :qq:

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

poptart_fairy posted:

Please someone tell me this game comes out on Tuesday for those in the EU, on Steam. I work Friday evenings and across the entire weekend, I don't want to wait another week. :qq:

Sorry, it comes out August 26th for EU.

Wish it came out in February, but I guess a 6 month delay was for the best. (94% from PC Gamer!)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Sorry, it comes out August 26th for EU.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :saddowns:

I'll just have to play the leak again, then. Once. Twice. Three times. So many replays...

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I agree, it's very difficult to force myself not to play through the leak again. I've played it twice now and I don't want to ruin the fun of going through it again when the real game comes out.

Right now I'm playing The Nameless Mod, which is OK. I'm about 2 hours into it so far. I just got paid the 1000 to get on the train. It's OK, but the story isn't very engaging at all. That's a big negative for me. So far though there isn't a lot of action though. It needs a good base assault level and I haven't seen that yet.

I'm also playing Thief with the intention of playing II and Deadly Shadows afterward. It's really quite good. A good substitute for a Deus Ex style game. Very golden age PC era stuff.

I wouldn't mind trying System Shock I and II, but I doubt I'll have time for all of that between now and release day and those games will probably take some doing to get them to work.

vvv Got that one on the steam sale over the weekend. Definitely want to try it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is basically Deus Ex without augs but with vampires and magic.
I love that game.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

StickySweater posted:

I wouldn't mind trying System Shock I and II, but I doubt I'll have time for all of that between now and release day and those games will probably take some doing to get them to work.
You may find some useful information here.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

StickySweater posted:

I agree, it's very difficult to force myself not to play through the leak again. I've played it twice now and I don't want to ruin the fun of going through it again when the real game comes out.

Right now I'm playing The Nameless Mod, which is OK. I'm about 2 hours into it so far. I just got paid the 1000 to get on the train. It's OK, but the story isn't very engaging at all. That's a big negative for me. So far though there isn't a lot of action though. It needs a good base assault level and I haven't seen that yet.

I'm also playing Thief with the intention of playing II and Deadly Shadows afterward. It's really quite good. A good substitute for a Deus Ex style game. Very golden age PC era stuff.

Give the Ultima Underworld games a look too. If you trace up Deus Ex and System Shock's lineage, Ultima Underworld I would probably be the start of it.

And since they're already on GOG there's no difficulties getting them working.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

StickySweater posted:

Do check the thread for the info, it's a game that NEEDS fanpatches.

Just remember: on your first game, do not play Malkavian or Nosferatu.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Zedd posted:

Just look at the pictures and talk to your friends. Best gaming advice. Then if you get a lovely game you can punch your friend.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn

AxeManiac posted:

Just look at the pictures and talk to your friends. Best gaming advice. Then if you get a lovely game you can punch your friend.

You can't punch over the internet.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

The Pebbler posted:

You can't punch over the internet.
Web 3.0 is supposed to fix that.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I guess the Facebook page updated again, this time with something quite a bit :siren:spoilery; stay away:siren: concept artwork of a later-game character. 2543 likes until the next one with 3 unlocks left for phase one (42457 out of 50000).

Also, you can now view the artwork from the Deus Ex: Human Revolution art show (minus the bathroom installment you can see at the end of the Kotaku video). Only 12 items, this one is personally my favorite (except for something that kinda bugs me):

(I also like the idea of misdirection in the photographic work)

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 2, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

That's good advice, and you reminded me to punch the poo poo out of my friends for getting me to buy L4D2 right before they got bored of it.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I had to give the leak another go to get the itch out of my system. I went for a melee/silencer only genocidal run and I can't believe I completely missed that you could drag bodies into vents the first time around. I spent more time plotting time to drag a body to the closest vent before anyone saw than anything else. It's also been a long time since I've played an FPS where dying was both amusing and my fault entirely and it feels great.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Wish it came out in February, but I guess a 6 month delay was for the best. (94% from PC Gamer!)

PC Gamer gave a similar score to Dragon Age 2 so I'm not sure what this is supposed to signify.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Oatgan posted:

PC Gamer gave a similar score to Dragon Age 2 so I'm not sure what this is supposed to signify.

:ssh: Their reviews don't have the same guy writing them all. :ssh:

But, specifically, this review felt as if it had actually been based on the game rather than a vague approximation thereof. Plenty of anecdotes and little details which show they'd spend some time with it.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Doom Goon posted:

I guess the Facebook page updated again, this time with something a bit :siren:spoilery:siren: if you haven't been keeping up with the info or thread (hint: mission pre-order DLC) concept artwork of ...Tong? link. 2646 likes until the next one with 3 unlocks left for phase one (42354 out of 50000).
Just a correction (and why I've been hesitant to post that piece of concept art myself), it's not a spoiler on the pre-order DLC mission. It is, however, a spoiler on how a certain character you'll be looking for in the main storyline actually looks like, since you'll be looking for this person while only knowing his name (if you've seen the E3 behind-the-doors demo, you've been spoiled about this already tho).

So basically, Tong Si Hung is not the same person as Tracer Tong.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Has anyone trying to scratch the itch for some Deus Ex-style games try out EYE?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/91700/
It's like Deus Ex meets WH40k, and uses cyber as a prefix for everything.
Also it has katanas. :shepface:

RedXII
Dec 4, 2006

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

poptart_fairy posted:

:ssh: Their reviews don't have the same guy writing them all. :ssh:

But, specifically, this review felt as if it had actually been based on the game rather than a vague approximation thereof. Plenty of anecdotes and little details which show they'd spend some time with it.

I'm a little tired of people using that to excuse the fact that PC Gamer unrepentantly gave a paid review. It doesn't really matter if its different writers, they still have the same editors who approve this stuff, It's all under the same brand and if I recall correctly PC Gamer said DA2 was the "game of the decade".

That said, I've already bought my copy of HR through Green Man Gaming and I can't wait for it to unlock the key so I can download it. I've restrained from grabbing the leak somehow, so for those of you who've played the leak how easy would the game be for someone who's never played a Deus Ex game before to get into? Am I going to get lost in a sea of references to things in previous games?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RedXII posted:

I'm a little tired of people using that to excuse the fact that PC Gamer unrepentantly gave a paid review.

Well I'm tired of people whinging about that single review every goddamn time anything about scores comes up, even when it's explicitly said you need to look at their comments and not the numeracy. :colbert:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's most new player friendly, especially if you read all the information given to you.
It's a prequel to a 10 year old game, they have to be (new generation of gamers).

RedXII
Dec 4, 2006

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

poptart_fairy posted:

Well I'm tired of people whinging about that single review every goddamn time anything about scores comes up, even when it's explicitly said you need to look at their comments and not the numeracy. :colbert:

All i'm asking for is a little accountability in journalism which the game review industry. I wish game critics were held to the same standards as other media critics is all I'm saying.

Jack Trades posted:

It's most new player friendly, especially if you read all the information given to you.
It's a prequel to a 10 year old game, they have to be (new generation of gamers).

thanks. I was hesitant to jump in to this series because Deus Ex doesn't really want to run on my computer and I've heard such horrible things about Invisible War.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Looking at that artwork bidding page, I didn't realize they're gonna auction off the replica as well. That and the custom neon sign are the only two things that have bids so far. The first bid on the Cybernetic Arm Prosthesis was five grand, holy poo poo. :stare:

edit: Nevermind, looks like it's just a reserve bid. :shobon: Anyways, this is so goddamn tempting, yet so expensive :v: (Estimated Value: $15,000.00): A Full Size Replica of a Cybernetic Arm Prosthesis

edit #2: Deus Ex Human Revolution XBOX 360 Review (in German) (Youtube)

Tycho on the Eidos Forums posted:

ok, I will translate:

The reviewer first intoduces the viewer to the legendary reputation of Deus Ex and the disappoiting Invisible War and asks the question if human revolution can life up to the first game.

Then he explains the setting (you are Adam Jensen, security etc...)

He thinks the story is exceptional, with a few unexpected twists and if you stick to the main quest, the game will last 20hours, if you explore everything you can double that time.

"GAMEPLAY"
Ego view, you visit Detroit, Shanghai and Montreal. You can walk freely in the City Hubs, but they are not as huge as in Red Dead Redemption.
You get XP for Missions which will give you Praxis Points. Therefore the most important menu in HR is the Augmentation screen. Then they explain some Augmentations. They show an example with the icarus landing system: he wants go get down this shaft, but he dies because it is too deep to simple drop down. So they buy the Icarus Landing System and now can safely drop down to get the goodies. An other example with the jump Aug. They show the inventory and the "power wheel".
They give an example of the different methodes (stealth, non lethal, guns blazing). The game awards stealth and nonlethal approaches because they get more XP than the guns blazing. Even with combat, you need to be patience, because the enemies are not that easy to defeat, because of their aiming rather their AI. If you want to achieve a mission without triggering a alarm, you will have to reload quite often.
If you expect a quick action shooter, you will be disappointed. HR focus on a deep atmosphere and great story, although there are explosions and action in the game. They give an example of the diversity in the level design. Adam wants in the club, so he can either buy a membership for 1000Credits, he get a membership on a sidequest. He can shoot the enforcer in the face or find an air duct in the back alley.
For the whole game: Keep your eyes open and watch for alternative ways.
HR is a game of choices, you have to make decisions and the game always gives you the feeling, there is an alternative and there a consequences for your choices. Therefore it has a great replay value, because in order to try every possibility, you have to play the game multiple times. There are many conversations in the game, where you are trying to convince somebody. You can read there faces to see if you have succeeded, even with the clunky animations. They show the CASIE Aug (Social Augmentation). After that they show the hacking game.
He did not like the boss fights, because they are a bit uninspired. You are always in a confined space with your enemy and have to find his weak spot. This is like trial & error so you probably need some tries.

There are sidequests you can take and since you meet people multiple times, there are consequences if you help/screw someone. They show a sidequest in shanghai, where you help a hooker find her friend. The environment is interactive to some degree, like using toilets.

"TECHNIK" (Technology)
In contrast to the amazing story the graphic is rather unspectacular. Animations are clunky, the textures are lowres, the effects are unimpressive. The cities don't feel lively, because most of the NPC just stand still. On the Pro: Good lighting, very atmospheric scenery and great panoramic views. This sounds rather negative, but most of the time you don't realize it, because experiencing the story is in the focus of HR. And it is by far not an ugly game.
The (German) voice over is not always lip synchronous and the loading time is very long, if you enter a important building they sometimes take over 1min. The Sound is great, the German Voiceover is above average (I have to say, from what I seen in this video, I think the German Voice Over is horrible compared to the Original, but that can still be above the average, because German VO is generally just bad)
The soundtrack is brilliant and adds to the atmosphere and even gives you goosebumps from time to time. The Weapon and environment sounds are also good.

FAZIT (Conclusion)
HR is a Deus Ex game, lives on the great story, atmosphere and the augmentations. Every choice needs should be deliberate and even if the level design always comes down to the same possibilities, every playthrugh will play out differently. The dated graphics can easily be overlooked and the Sound fits the game perfectly.
If you involve yourself in the story you will a get a terrific sci-fy thriller. They recommend it for every friend of the setting or the theme. Human Revolution is not a revolution like the original Deus Ex, but a great gaming experience.

cya
Tycho

and another "translation":

Piflik on the Eidos Forums posted:

Paraphrasing:

Overview:
Tries to lie up to the first Deus Ex, with lots of freedom and a character that could be directly out of the Matrix

Story:
Augmentations, Adam Jensen, Sarif Industries yadda yadda yadda...story is captivating; fundamental philosophical questions: what is human? should we play god?; good writing; surprises; main storyline alone = roughly 20h, trying to see everything = 50-60h
Gameplay:

• In the beginning quite linear levels, later more open environments; nearly complete freedom of movement in these sections, but not as big as, for example, Red Dead Redemption;
  • finishing level -> EXP -> Piraxis Points -> Augmentations; examples: unreachable stuff in a deep shaft -> Icarus Landing System, stuff behind a fence -> jump higher, inventory too small -> upgrade; ring menu very handy, especially in combat;
  • freedom of choice: sneak by enemies, take them down non-lethally or walk in guns blazing; stealth gets you more EXP; for patient players, even shootouts take their time; enemies not too smart, but can fire accurately; despite the perspective not a twitchy shooter; game lives on the story, yet there is action and explosions;
  • freedom of choice: getting into nightclub: buy membership for 1000 credits, get membership for helping someone, kill bouncer, find air duct; air ducts generally a viable way through levels;
  • many decisions: this or that augmentation, kill enemy or not, save hostage or not, how to talk to client, how to get into a locked room, etc; game always makes you feels like your decisions matter or you had an alternative to your choice -> replayability;
  • able to estimate reactions during conversations despite somewhat wooden facial expression; important choices during conversation: lethal or non-lethal approach; social augmentation helps with convincing;
  • hacking minigame; once discoverd only a couple of seconds to reach target or be thrown out and try again; augmentations to help you hacking;
  • bosses a nice idea, but uninspired and boring; locked in a limited area with boss; find weakness; trial and error; once you found weakness, they are no real challenge; bosses are the only enemies that have to be killed;
  • many sidequests; can have impact on later parts of the game, since you meet some persons more than once; example: prostitute looks for missing friend, rescue her and you get additional equipment or information;
  • additional informaions in ebooks, futuristic newspapers or on TV;
Technology:
  • unspectacular graphics; wooden animations, underwhelming effects, rough textures, slowdowns; cities don't feel lively, despite many NPCs;
  • good lighting, atmospheric sceneries, fantastic vistas;
  • sounds worse than it is: deficiencies aren't very apparent next to the setting and story; not ugly at all;
  • facial expressions static; not lip sync (at least the German voices); long loading times: entering important building or new section of the game means nearly minutes long loading screens;
  • good sound; above average German voices (I tend to disagree from what I have heard of it); superb soundtrack -> goosebumps; good weapons and environmental sounds;
Verdict:
  • Deus Ex is a worthy successor to Deus Ex 1, dense atmosphere, dark dystopian world, thrilling story, great augmentations; not exactly brand-new technology not too detrimental;
  • if you like the setting and embrace the story and possibilities of the game you get a superb SciFi thriller;
  • not the revolution the title suggests or the first game was, but an all around good gaming experience

Edit: too slow...

also:

uberajnn posted:

Does this mean Montreal is a hub? I got the impression that was just a "mission".
The video said, exploring a media company in Montreal, so I guess it is not a hub.

cya
Tycho

Tecman fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 2, 2011

aMoose
Nov 26, 2005
He who fucks nuns will later join the church.
The irony is that my computer today will run Human Revolution roughly as well as my old mac ran Deus Ex all those years ago (not very).

I'm a bit sad not to enjoy it properly on PC, but I'm sure the console version will be almost as good. Don't think inventory tetris will be as fun with a controller, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Ego view, you visit Detroit, Shanghai and Montreal. You can walk freely in the City Hubs, but they are not as huge as in Red Dead Redemption.

What a weird comparison. :psyduck:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, that's an apples-and-oranges comparison. Deus Ex would probably not work as well as an open-world type city; I prefer the intimacy of something smaller, like what we've already got. That way we can see how much stuff we can find as we poke around, without getting completely lost on a giant continent.

Which is not to say I don't like big sandbox games, it just wouldn't work here.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Red Dead doesn't happen to be insanely huge over in Germany, does it? :v:

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

What a weird comparison. :psyduck:

That's like comparing Final Fantasy to Tetris. Jesus.

edit: Okay, I guess it's more like comparing Final Fantasy to Oblivion. Still though, what the heck Germany.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There are several character customization options, but not as many as in the Sims 3. Still, at least there are more dialogue options than Pac Man.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dolash posted:

There are several character customization options, but not as many as in the Sims 3. Still, at least there are more dialogue options than Pac Man.
Inventory system is more elegant than in Civ 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

poptart_fairy posted:

Red Dead doesn't happen to be insanely huge over in Germany, does it? :v:

While I wouldn't want it for DE, I would give my kidneys for a cyberpunk open world game. Evil city, hovering cop gunship.. thingies, futuro car chases, the works. Yes.

That and open world mad max type thing. Rocking down the highway in my rusted custom wartruck, the best game never made :(

• Locked thread