Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

The only funny joke in the movie is when you discover the purpose of those mysterious silver cylinders you see all over the city that no one ever seems to be using for anything.

I disagree on this point- I thought the scene with the creatures in the locker who based their society and religion off of a video store membership card was pretty great.

The rest was definitely too much of a rehash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sizzlechest posted:

Question about Rango:

Rango had the bullet in his gun at the beginning of the showdown with the snake. When did he remove it? I assume it was during the bat/fake hawk scene since he had no fear of killing the snake since his gun was unloaded. The other possibility is that he somehow palmed it before he surrenderd the gun to the mayor. Which is it?

The movie as explicitly as possible shows him palming the bullet when the mayor asks for it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this is a 'General Movie Question' enough for this thread, but it prolly applies the best:

I'm thinking about making a Paranormal Activity Megamovie. Since Paranormal Activity 2 is both a prequel and a sequel, I had this idea of burning both of the movies from DVD onto my computer as compressed video files, edit them together into One Big Movie, and then compress it so it's not so god-awful huge.

But here's the problem. I open up any of the numerous this-program-will-let-you-extract-videos-off-a-DVD-program, and I see a ton of large VOB files, all generically named with no way of knowing what's what. And given that this process tends to take a while, given the file size, I'd rather avoid trial and error. This is made doubly more frustrating because there's more of these big-enough-to-prolly-be-the-movie files than there are videos on the DVD. It's not like there's three Big-File-X.vob files when there's three versions of the movie on the disc. There's two versions, and a dozen of these files!

I realize this may be a bit :filez:-y, but this is one of my "This Would Be Really Cool To Do" ideas that I've never really allowed myself to abandon.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

The movie as explicitly as possible shows him palming the bullet when the mayor asks for it.

I checked the scene you're talking about and, no, it's not as explicit as you remember. Implied, perhaps.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this is a 'General Movie Question' enough for this thread, but it prolly applies the best:

I'm thinking about making a Paranormal Activity Megamovie. Since Paranormal Activity 2 is both a prequel and a sequel, I had this idea of burning both of the movies from DVD onto my computer as compressed video files, edit them together into One Big Movie, and then compress it so it's not so god-awful huge.

But here's the problem. I open up any of the numerous this-program-will-let-you-extract-videos-off-a-DVD-program, and I see a ton of large VOB files, all generically named with no way of knowing what's what. And given that this process tends to take a while, given the file size, I'd rather avoid trial and error. This is made doubly more frustrating because there's more of these big-enough-to-prolly-be-the-movie files than there are videos on the DVD. It's not like there's three Big-File-X.vob files when there's three versions of the movie on the disc. There's two versions, and a dozen of these files!

I realize this may be a bit :filez:-y, but this is one of my "This Would Be Really Cool To Do" ideas that I've never really allowed myself to abandon.

Do a search for a guide to ripping DVD movies. I haven't done anything like that in awhile so I can't remember the procedure off head, but I'm pretty sure there are programs that can (in some way) identify movies/chapters and the like.

In any case, you could just convert the whole thing into a mpg file (or whatever) and cut out the stuff you don't need afterward.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MisterBibs posted:

All those extra .VOBs are special features. Every "featurette" or deleted scene will be its own title and thus be its own .VOB. Check out https://www.videohelp.com.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
It's either called IFO mode or Title mode or something similar. Turn that poo poo on. It will give you a list of 'titles,' of which the actual title is useless. However it does show you the runtime of each title. Select the title with the correct runtime and rip. The end.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

In M. Night Shyamalan's Devil, why wasn't there any footage of the ex-Marine signing in at the front desk if the Janikowski signature was his? Was the older lady just miming signing into the book?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

In M. Night Shyamalan's Devil, why wasn't there any footage of the ex-Marine signing in at the front desk if the Janikowski signature was his? Was the older lady just miming signing into the book?
Usually the director gets put in front of the movie's name, not one of the producers.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
In 'House on Haunted Hill', Geoffrey Rush is showing off his new roller coaster. Once the reporters are on it, in front of them they see the track break and the carriage in front of them fall off. What the hell happened here, was that a hologram designed to scare people or what? Then right after that a carriage rolls in with some crash test dummies who are looking terrified. I was really confused by this part.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Crows Turn Off posted:

Usually the director gets put in front of the movie's name, not one of the producers.

Usually it's a book author actually.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Thanks, that totally clears it up.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Watching Punisher: War Zone. What's up with Pullo Punisher sticking a pencil up his nose right before he attacks McNulty Jigsaw's warehouse?

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Encryptic posted:

Watching Punisher: War Zone. What's up with Pullo Punisher sticking a pencil up his nose right before he attacks McNulty Jigsaw's warehouse?

He's "fixing" his broken nose by resetting it. Tough guy style.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Barometer posted:

He's "fixing" his broken nose by resetting it. Tough guy style.

Gotcha. I must have missed the nose-breaking part. Thanks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What, exactly, in Total Recall was meant to make me think that it was real? Just the 2 or 3 weird looks that his wife/co-worker/Rekall salesman give before he goes under? Because it seems pretty definitive to me that it wasn't. Especially the fact that he saw Melina on the screen in the doctor's office before he went under, saw photos of the reactor, the doctor's comment of "blue sky on mars? that's a new one," the spelling out of the plot by Edgemar, etc - just too much evidence stacked on the side of it being his Rekall vacation/vacation gone wrong. People seem to talk about it like it's ambiguous, but it really doesn't seem like that to me. Which is a shame, because I think it would be a better film it it as.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 2, 2011

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

What, exactly, in Total Recall was meant to make me think that it was real? Just the 2 or 3 weird looks that his wife/co-worker/Rekall salesman give before he goes under? Because it seems pretty definitive to me that it wasn't. Especially the fact that he saw Melina on the screen in the doctor's office before he went under, saw photos of the reactor, the doctor's comment of "blue sky on mars? that's a new one," the spelling out of the plot by Edgemar, etc - just too much evidence stacked on the side of it being his Rekall vacation/vacation gone wrong. People seem to talk about it like it's ambiguous, but it really doesn't seem like that to me. Which is a shame, because I think it would be a better film it it as.

There's a pretty strong hint that it may be real (or not real?) - during the Rekall scene, McClane (the sales guy) gets paged back to the implantation room where Quaid is freaking the gently caress out after Dr. Lull supposedly hit a memory cap. McClane claims he's just acting out the secret agent portion of the Ego Trip - only to be told by Dr. Lull that that isn't possible since they haven't even implanted it yet.

Also, Quaid dreams about Melina before he even goes to Rekall. You can see her face briefly during the opening scene before Quaid falls down the cliff, and Quaid even tells Edgemar that he dreamt about her before he went to Rekall, which he claims proves that she's real.

Edit: Finally - why would Edgemar be sweating if he wasn't real and clearly desperate to talk Quaid into taking the pill? He claims it won't matter to him but it will gently caress Quaid up for good if he shoots Edgemar - which doesn't jibe with him sweating.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 2, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

What, exactly, in Total Recall was meant to make me think that it was real?

The one guy was sweating. He wouldn't have been nervous if he was imaginary.
It's been a while but that was the one thing I recall.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

henpod posted:

In 'House on Haunted Hill', Geoffrey Rush is showing off his new roller coaster. Once the reporters are on it, in front of them they see the track break and the carriage in front of them fall off. What the hell happened here, was that a hologram designed to scare people or what? Then right after that a carriage rolls in with some crash test dummies who are looking terrified. I was really confused by this part.

No, it's a ridiculously unsafe roller coaster designed to derail cars full of dummies to scare the cars behind it. How they recover the cars that plunge into the lake is beyond me.

However, the elevator ride to the top was a boss idea.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Zogo posted:

:rimshot:

"Lori says he can't remember jack poo poo!"

"That's now. In an hour he could have total recall."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Encryptic posted:

There's a pretty strong hint that it may be real (or not real?) - during the Rekall scene, McClane (the sales guy) gets paged back to the implantation room where Quaid is freaking the gently caress out after Dr. Lull supposedly hit a memory cap. McClane claims he's just acting out the secret agent portion of the Ego Trip - only to be told by Dr. Lull that that isn't possible since they haven't even implanted it yet.

Also, Quaid dreams about Melina before he even goes to Rekall. You can see her face briefly during the opening scene before Quaid falls down the cliff, and Quaid even tells Edgemar that he dreamt about her before he went to Rekall, which he claims proves that she's real.

Edit: Finally - why would Edgemar be sweating if he wasn't real and clearly desperate to talk Quaid into taking the pill? He claims it won't matter to him but it will gently caress Quaid up for good if he shoots Edgemar - which doesn't jibe with him sweating.

Zogo posted:

Those make a certain amount of sense, but I think that the "I haven't implanted it yet" could definitely be part of the simulation to further make him think that it's real (hell, from his point of view that's what would convince me the most, so it would naturally be part of the simulation). Good point with the dreams about Melina before he went in, but I think the Edgemar sweating situation could be another thing that's put into the simulation to further convince Quaid it's all real as the simulation nears its end.

It's not like there's a real answer here, I was just wondering if I missed something.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Those make a certain amount of sense, but I think that the "I haven't implanted it yet" could definitely be part of the simulation to further make him think that it's real (hell, from his point of view that's what would convince me the most, so it would naturally be part of the simulation). Good point with the dreams about Melina before he went in, but I think the Edgemar sweating situation could be another thing that's put into the simulation to further convince Quaid it's all real as the simulation nears its end.

It's not like there's a real answer here, I was just wondering if I missed something.

Yeah - I've seen it 500 times and it still just rings as ambiguous to me. There's compelling arguments for both sides and I'm of the mind it was intended to be that way.

I just remembered one other thing. The screen fades to white briefly at the end right after Melina says "Kiss me quick before you wake up" - I swear I read somewhere that this could be implied as Quaid finally succumbing to a schizoid embolism or being lobotomized.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Encryptic posted:

Yeah - I've seen it 500 times and it still just rings as ambiguous to me. There's compelling arguments for both sides and I'm of the mind it was intended to be that way.

I just remembered one other thing. The screen fades to white briefly at the end right after Melina says "Kiss me quick before you wake up" - I swear I read somewhere that this could be implied as Quaid finally succumbing to a schizoid embolism or being lobotomized.

I believe Verhoeven mentions the possibility explicitly in the Making Of.

I think if they just hadn't shown the actual photograph of Melina as his ideal woman in Rekall I'd find it a lot easier to swallow.

But then again I can't wave away his dream at the beginning, so it can't be definitive either way.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I think the director commentary on the DVD has Voereorehoeoven saying "this is the part when it becomes a simulation" or something to that effect. I don't really remember but he made it sound like the whole spy plot was a Recall implant.

That commentary track was awful. I was so excited, because it has Verheovenesnennen and Arnold, but Arnold just keeps saying "this is the part where I kill those guys" and "this is the part where I run away from those guys." It was really funny at first but it became hard to listen to and I didn't make it past 15 or 20 minutes.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I believe Verhoeven mentions the possibility explicitly in the Making Of.

I think if they just hadn't shown the actual photograph of Melina as his ideal woman in Rekall I'd find it a lot easier to swallow.

But then again I can't wave away his dream at the beginning, so it can't be definitive either way.

Yeah...it's interesting. I'm still trying to puzzle out the Edgemar being real versus a simulation thing since you mentioned it.

One touch I remember always liking is Edgemar's line about "the walls of reality will come crashing down" and then a minute later the guys burst through the wall. It does seem a bit scripted now that I think back to it, but you could also argue the guys could have been real and stationed on the other side of the wall ready to bust through if things went sour.

I just watched TR about 2-3 weeks ago so it was fresh in my mind, but I may have to watch it again.

"Congratulations, Cohaagen. The best mindfuck yet."

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

quote:

:words: from a people about Total Recall

There's also strong evidence to suggest that it's a simulation the moment when it cuts to the shot of Arnold in the machine and it goes out of focus, which a few people have claimed is when the simulation starts.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

He only sees Melina on screen when he's starting to lose consciousness so it could be a symptom of his memories returning.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Encryptic posted:

Yeah...it's interesting. I'm still trying to puzzle out the Edgemar being real versus a simulation thing since you mentioned it.

One touch I remember always liking is Edgemar's line about "the walls of reality will come crashing down" and then a minute later the guys burst through the wall. It does seem a bit scripted now that I think back to it, but you could also argue the guys could have been real and stationed on the other side of the wall ready to bust through if things went sour.

I just watched TR about 2-3 weeks ago so it was fresh in my mind, but I may have to watch it again.

"Congratulations, Cohaagen. The best mindfuck yet."

I think that after re-watching it this time I've come away with an opinion that not a lot of people have. I don't think it's real, I don't think it's Quaid having a bad reaction to the implants, and I don't think he gets lobotomized at the end. I think the entire thing is the vacation, exactly how Rekall wanted it. I think the white screen at the end is him waking up from a successful vacation - or rather, his secret agent character is having a lobotomy, turning him back into the original Quaid. Him having to question the reality of it at the end with Edgemar could have been him getting used to the idea of the simulation again before he wakes up. Keep in mind that the movie ends right after "blue skies" comes true - which is pretty much the only thing we know about what Quaid's vacation is going to contain.

Certainly this could be argued to death but this explanation makes as much or more sense to me than any of the other options I've heard.

Noxville posted:

He only sees Melina on screen when he's starting to lose consciousness so it could be a symptom of his memories returning.

True, as she is a 3D model before that. He could be filling the reality of his simulation with the woman from his dreams.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 2, 2011

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Wild T posted:

No, it's a ridiculously unsafe roller coaster designed to derail cars full of dummies to scare the cars behind it. How they recover the cars that plunge into the lake is beyond me.

However, the elevator ride to the top was a boss idea.

That's what I initially thought, but then I was wondering how expensive it would be to have a set of rollercoaster cars fly off the ride every time. Well, thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, that elevator was cool though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The short story Total Recall is based off of ("We Can Remember it for you Wholesale") is pretty clear about the whole memory thing. Every time false memories are implanted into the main character they turn out to be true, so he really was a secret agent. Although the short story is more of a comedy as his memory implants get goofier and goofier and always turn out to be what really happened to him.

Also, funny bit of news about the Total Recall remake. Although the story isn't going to be that similar they have promised there will be a woman with three breasts.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I think that after re-watching it this time I've come away with an opinion that not a lot of people have. I don't think it's real, I don't think it's Quaid having a bad reaction to the implants, and I don't think he gets lobotomized at the end. I think the entire thing is the vacation, exactly how Rekall wanted it. I think the white screen at the end is him waking up from a successful vacation - or rather, his secret agent character is having a lobotomy, turning him back into the original Quaid. Him having to question the reality of it at the end with Edgemar could have been him getting used to the idea of the simulation again before he wakes up. Keep in mind that the movie ends right after "blue skies" comes true - which is pretty much the only thing we know about what Quaid's vacation is going to contain.

Certainly this could be argued to death but this explanation makes as much or more sense to me than any of the other options I've heard.

True, as she is a 3D model before that. He could be filling the reality of his simulation with the woman from his dreams.

In thinking about this more - it occurs to me that another issue that muddies the "real versus reel" waters is that we see bits of the movie where Quaid could not possibly be present at all (e.g. Cohaagen talking to Richter in his office, etc.). It seems to imply that Richter and Cohaagen at least could theoretically exist outside of Quaid's mind. In another scene where Quaid is not present, Richter is clearly shown as having an outside motivation for wanting to kill Quaid instead of just being a scripted bad guy intended to make Quaid/Hauser's defection look real.

Go figure... :psypop: <--- I need a Total Recall psypop emote here.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Encryptic posted:

In thinking about this more - it occurs to me that another issue that muddies the "real versus reel" waters is that we see bits of the movie where Quaid could not possibly be present at all (e.g. Cohaagen talking to Richter in his office, etc.). It seems to imply that Richter and Cohaagen at least could theoretically exist outside of Quaid's mind. In another scene where Quaid is not present, Richter is clearly shown as having an outside motivation for wanting to kill Quaid instead of just being a scripted bad guy intended to make Quaid/Hauser's defection look real.

Go figure... :psypop: <--- I need a Total Recall psypop emote here.

Yeah, this is something I wanted to comment on but couldn't figure out how to phrase it properly. It really only makes sense as a narrative device for the audience as a representation of the simulation's processing or real events in a non-simulation.

I wish the remake was sticking to the idea but fixing some of these problems (ambiguity, point-of-view, etc) rather than starting from scratch - however good or bad their new idea may be. Ultimately I'm able to sit back and enjoy the film as an Arnold Movie, but I know there's also a Good Movie in there somewhere.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The thing about Total Recall is that the whole 'is it real or a simulation' thing could be pretty interesting but since they cast Arnie nobody really cares because OF COURSE Arnie is a super hero secret agent that can kill a million dudes and save Mars. Of loving course he can, we expect no less from him.

When it was still Cronenberg's project William Hurt and Richard Dreyfus were considered for Quaid. I think people would have reacted differently to it with that kind of casting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What happened with the release of Ride with the Devil?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FishBulb posted:

The thing about Total Recall is that the whole 'is it real or a simulation' thing could be pretty interesting but since they cast Arnie nobody really cares because OF COURSE Arnie is a super hero secret agent that can kill a million dudes and save Mars. Of loving course he can, we expect no less from him.

Yeah, someone in the Making Of said that he fit the part because the audience wants it all to be real because of this. I don't buy it, because then they wouldn't have made him into a construction worker when he was originally an accountant.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

cheerfullydrab posted:

What happened with the release of Ride with the Devil?

Probably something either incredibly stupid, incredibly petty, or both.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I agree with your ideas too. My personality tends to latch onto the aspects that could make it be perceived as real.

I remember a litmus test to seeing which way a person thinks was Uncle Ben in "Death of a Salesman." Was he real or fake? I always thought he was obviously real but it seems to be a split amongst other people I've talked to and remember in classes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Uncle Ben was real, but his appearances are distorted by memory or wholly invented.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I fear this will be seen as a "lawl im drunk kk" post, but despite my current intoxication, I feel I am required to ask:

At the bar I was just at, Point Break was playing. Because of the aforementioned intoxication, combined with the lack of sound... is it normally as confusing-to-follow as it appeared to me? Because it didnt make a lot of sense to me, and felt like I was watching three movies (Keanu as a surfer, Keanu as a police officer, Keanu as a criminal).

I'm going to be very, very embarrassed if it turns out it was multiple movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You should probably edit that, there's a rule against drunk posting.

Zogo posted:

I agree with your ideas too. My personality tends to latch onto the aspects that could make it be perceived as real.

Yeah, I think ultimately the film's interpretation comes down to what each viewer wants to be true.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 3, 2011