Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
I've recently decided to stop procrastinating and start writing my ideas for stories down on paper for once. I'm just wondering, when writing a story concept, is it better to develop a storyline first, or characters/setting more? Certainly, both are required for a strong story overall, but I'm having difficulty doing both at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is there an easy way to edit PDFs in indesign or illustrator cs4?

Is there a graphic design megathread to ask for critiques on a poster or should I make a thread?

Is there a good free online class/tutorial that would help me with my layout skills? I'm good at working with images and type, but whenever I make a poster/flyer design from scratch I'm not happy with the layout.

Thanks!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Mescal posted:

Is there an easy way to edit PDFs in indesign or illustrator cs4?

Probably not in the way you're thinking. PDFs are the last step in the design process, and are intended to be used for printing and distribution. Photoshop has the ability to rasterize PDFs as a flat image on a page-by-page basis, and Illustrator can open them and manipulate the "compressed" vector objects, but not always in an intuitive way. InDesign simply cannot open PDF files. You can, however, place a PDF as an art object into a InDesign document, and them compose over that.

quote:

Is there a graphic design megathread to ask for critiques on a poster or should I make a thread?

Nope, but I definitely wouldn't seeing one :)

quote:

Is there a good free online class/tutorial that would help me with my layout skills? I'm good at working with images and type, but whenever I make a poster/flyer design from scratch I'm not happy with the layout.

You're probably going to want to read up on composing (and adhering) to grid systems. Here's a couple of articles I found with a quick Google:
http://designinformer.com/2010/grid-based-web-design-simplified/
http://www.markboulton.co.uk/journal/comments/five-simple-steps-to-designing-grid-systems-part-1

I'm sure you could find a lot more now that you know the right keyword. And if you're really interested and willing to spend a little cash, books like these are invaluable resources:
http://amzn.com/1592531253
http://amzn.com/1568984650
http://amzn.com/1568984650

xiko
Nov 25, 2009
A friend of mine got these in a store in germany and I LOVED them. I want to do something like that in my city but have no idea what kind of material is applied to the pencils.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Looks the way sand/glitter + standard white glue look.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Hoping this is the right place for this.

I'm planning to enter an online video contest with a decent cash prize. I have a solid conceptual idea that is basically a riff on crappy Ronco-style infomercials - flashing toll-free number at the bottom, low production values evident throughout. What's the best software program for creating something like this?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

rivetz posted:

Hoping this is the right place for this.

I'm planning to enter an online video contest with a decent cash prize. I have a solid conceptual idea that is basically a riff on crappy Ronco-style infomercials - flashing toll-free number at the bottom, low production values evident throughout. What's the best software program for creating something like this?

Shoot it on a pre-HD flip camera. Don't forget to have the boom mic in the pic.

Pinnacle is pretty cheap and has some ridiculously cheesey text and fading effects.
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Home/

For a retro look, take your digital work and transfer it to a VCR tape and then transfer it again a few times to degrade it before transferring back to digital.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Schlinky posted:

I've recently decided to stop procrastinating and start writing my ideas for stories down on paper for once. I'm just wondering, when writing a story concept, is it better to develop a storyline first, or characters/setting more? Certainly, both are required for a strong story overall, but I'm having difficulty doing both at the same time.

A week later! :v:

On the one hand, the best stories tend to come from letting your characters drive the plot. If you set the plot in stone first, you may discover that your characters have to go, well, out of character in order to accomplish it. (Phrased differently, you may discover that given the characters you've developed, a different plot would be better suited to them.)

On the other hand, if you dive right into character and setting development, it's really, really easy to spend forever in world-building and never get around to writing the actual story.

So my suggestion: thumbnail the actual plot you're going for. Don't go into a lot of detail and definitely don't set it in stone. Once you have the general story outline down, you'll also have an idea of what characters are necessary and what details you'll need about the setting in order to make it work. Then you can set about developing the characters and setting, to the point where they'll service the plot you have written out.

Remember, too, that once you've started actually writing, the plot and characters may take on lives of their own, so to speak, so be prepared to revise your outline and your character sketches several times in order to accommodate the growing story. :)

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I don't know if I'm accidentally hitting a hotkey and don't understand what's going on or what, but in Illustrator (CS5) every once in a while there will be a "phantom group" or "phantom selection" or something like that. I'll have nothing selected but there will be controls/edges around some items that aren't in a group. I'll select another tool, but the selection will remain. If I make a new object, it puts it in the "group" and resizes the boundaries of the selection to include it.

I may be misunderstanding the explanation a bit, but the only thing I can think of might have something to do with a clipping mask. If memory serves they hang around even if the masked objects are deleted, and if you mask off a subsequently deleted part of a large object the object's unseen remnants are still there but invisible. Try Ctrl/Cmnd+Y to go into outline mode and hunt for unseen remnants, or Object>Path>Clean Up to get rid of stray paths, unfilled text boxes, and the like. It's easy to forget when you're drilled-down into the mask's group, too, so dub-clicking off an object quickly backs you out.

Probably an irrelevant answer, but hell. Illustrator has all sorts of confusing tomfoolery. I love accidentally hitting the wrong key and going into full-screen, no-toolbar mode and feeling like a helpless dumbass.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
What font is being used in this Purina commercial?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWPSPWPFYE

Only registered members can see post attachments!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xiko posted:

A friend of mine got these in a store in germany and I LOVED them. I want to do something like that in my city but have no idea what kind of material is applied to the pencils.

It looks like puff paint or glue with dye and glitter. It also appears to be stenciled on.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Miike posted:

What font is being used in this Purina commercial?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWPSPWPFYE

http://www.dafont.com/hand-test.font

Used a modified version of it once for a project. Lucky coincidence.

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it

pipes! posted:

This is a thing:
http://billable.me/

This isn't legally binding, etc.

this just saved my rear end from having to learn illustrator, THANKS PIPES!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

thylacine posted:

Looks the way sand/glitter + standard white glue look.

If you find some flexible stencils (or cut some yourself with overhead projector sheets) you can wrap the pen in the stencil and spray some 3M adhesive on it, then dip/sprinkle glitter on it.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.

Besesoth posted:

A week later! :v:

On the one hand, the best stories tend to come from letting your characters drive the plot. If you set the plot in stone first, you may discover that your characters have to go, well, out of character in order to accomplish it. (Phrased differently, you may discover that given the characters you've developed, a different plot would be better suited to them.)

On the other hand, if you dive right into character and setting development, it's really, really easy to spend forever in world-building and never get around to writing the actual story.

So my suggestion: thumbnail the actual plot you're going for. Don't go into a lot of detail and definitely don't set it in stone. Once you have the general story outline down, you'll also have an idea of what characters are necessary and what details you'll need about the setting in order to make it work. Then you can set about developing the characters and setting, to the point where they'll service the plot you have written out.

Remember, too, that once you've started actually writing, the plot and characters may take on lives of their own, so to speak, so be prepared to revise your outline and your character sketches several times in order to accommodate the growing story. :)

Thanks, really appreciate this! :)

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela

Yip Yips posted:

http://www.dafont.com/hand-test.font

Used a modified version of it once for a project. Lucky coincidence.

You rock ! May you have a great day !

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

HoboZero posted:

I may be misunderstanding the explanation a bit, but the only thing I can think of might have something to do with a clipping mask. If memory serves they hang around even if the masked objects are deleted, and if you mask off a subsequently deleted part of a large object the object's unseen remnants are still there but invisible. Try Ctrl/Cmnd+Y to go into outline mode and hunt for unseen remnants, or Object>Path>Clean Up to get rid of stray paths, unfilled text boxes, and the like. It's easy to forget when you're drilled-down into the mask's group, too, so dub-clicking off an object quickly backs you out.

Probably an irrelevant answer, but hell. Illustrator has all sorts of confusing tomfoolery. I love accidentally hitting the wrong key and going into full-screen, no-toolbar mode and feeling like a helpless dumbass.

Hm, I don't use masks all that often but regardless going into outline mode sounds like a great idea. I'm guessing that'll help me solve it, whatever the problem is.

A new question: When zoomed in in Photoshop (CS5) past 1200% all my controls disappear on text objects. This is really annoying if I'm editing text at that level, as I can't tell if I actually have the text selected or not. Is there any way to change this?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I am about to start tutoring 3 boys - ages 10, 15 and 21 - in writing. The schools they attend probably have fairly poor english programs, but they are smart kids. I am thinking of telling them to write a short essay on the most interesting or important thing that they did this summer, read their essays, and take it from there. I also want to be able to read them a very, very good essay of this kind, which I guess is a narrative essay, so that they will have some idea of what they are shooting for.

Does this sound like a decent starting point? Does anyone have any tips? I also don't know what to use for the example essay, does anyone know of a good one?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Doghouse posted:

I am about to start tutoring 3 boys - ages 10, 15 and 21 - in writing. The schools they attend probably have fairly poor english programs, but they are smart kids. I am thinking of telling them to write a short essay on the most interesting or important thing that they did this summer, read their essays, and take it from there. I also want to be able to read them a very, very good essay of this kind, which I guess is a narrative essay, so that they will have some idea of what they are shooting for.

Does this sound like a decent starting point? Does anyone have any tips? I also don't know what to use for the example essay, does anyone know of a good one?
Are they ESL students? Is the oldest one in a college? Do you want to focus more on grammar and usage, or composition?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Older one is not in college yet. They are not ESL. I think I'll need to focus on both.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

A new question: When zoomed in in Photoshop (CS5) past 1200% all my controls disappear on text objects. This is really annoying if I'm editing text at that level, as I can't tell if I actually have the text selected or not. Is there any way to change this?

That's some extremely tiny text, dude. I know that the visibility of selected-text highlights are tied to the visibility of either frame edges or guides on some CS programs; try Ctrl-h or Ctrl-; to toggle show/hide for both, respectively.

And after rereading your first question it makes more sense... I remember having to reset/recreate my preferences file for Illustrator due to some issue about how the program caches them because some weird poo poo was going on with my object-level selections. Google can explain it better than I can, but maybe that'll help(?).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I have a magazine that I started a few months ago, just something for fun to do in my spare time. It's called Lost in Thought, and it's basically a collection of writing, illustration & photography.

I am starting the search for contributors for issue two, and I was thinking of asking for submissions here in CC. Is that sort of thing allowed? Is there a particular thread for this sort of thing?

Just thought I'd ask before I get into too many details.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Doghouse posted:

Older one is not in college yet. They are not ESL. I think I'll need to focus on both.
I'd definitely start with composition, then address grammar as a logical extension of the editing process.

It's going to be rough making assignments that will fit both a 10 and 21 year old. For the oldest, I'd start with a basic "what is a thesis" lesson and move on to intro/thesis/support/conclusion structure from there. For the youngest, I'd start with a basic report structure (describe something or some phenomenon, give descriptive information about it in an organized way)

I started my classes with an assignment where the students had to introduce themselves to me as a writer. What kinds of writing do they do (texting? blogging? scripts? fiction? [this was arts college])? How had they been taught to write? What did they hope to get out of the class? Anything to get them thinking about the process of writing. Not as a wordcount to be fulfilled, but as a crafting process.

Definitely have them read a lot (both professional writing AND other student essays, if you can find them.) AND write a lot. Like, every day they should be at least getting some freewriting time in where they reflect on some writing topic or something related to what they're reading.

Also for organization, if you can get away with it, http://www.textfiles.com/uploads/koalas.txt

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Students learn grammar as they learn the rest of the language. It is a waste of time to focus on grammar explicitly.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
When rendering out of premiere, I am getting extremely ugly results. Completely different than when I use After Effects using the same settings. Generally, I use Quicktime format, photo jpeg compression at about 80%. I have tried h.264 compression, and it always comes out looking bright, washed out, and compressed to hell. For the record, I am working on DSLR footage, so I'm not worried about a little bit of compression.

Any suggestions or tips as to what I should do to get on the right track? My only solution I found was to render out TGA or TIFF sequences from premiere and render those out from After Effects, which was time-consuming and a complete waste of energy and storage space. Do I need to download more codecs or something?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Lately there's been a bit of interest in having prints and T shirts made from a few of my designs, I may already have someone whose able to help with silk screen printing but in case that falls through can any of you recommend somewhere that will do me a few small orders to get started but without charging me the earth.
As for the poster printing I have no idea where to turn really, I know I could just google it but I'm rather hoping someone with some experience could point me to a decent company so I don't end up getting ripped off. I suppose it would be better if the companies were UK based as it would save me a fair bit on shipping, but then I'll be shipping some orders back out to the US anyway so it would possibly work if the printers were willing to send individual orders to separate customers but I'm guessing it doesn't really work like that without them wanting a commission.

Please don't tell me to go to threadless, I have had some very rude and immature responses from them and will not consider dealing with them.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I've come across two really amazing creative artists over the last year, and I can't for the life of me figure out how they do what they do. Any ideas?

This first one, done by Mark Bannerman (https://markbannerman.com) mixes 3d with his 2d but it flows so well and has a very beautiful illustrative feel.

The second, Alberto Cerriteno (http://www.albertocerriteno.com/) has said he uses photoshop, but this is pretty great stuff. I don't know this would be done with just brushes or anything

I know 95% of it is just their imagination and artistic skill which can't be replicated, but they're very interesting and unique works so it would be cool to see a little more into their methods.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SVU Fan posted:

I know 95% of it is just their imagination and artistic skill which can't be replicated, but they're very interesting and unique works so it would be cool to see a little more into their methods.

Most artists are really approachable in this regard, just shoot them an e-mail and ask.

Dvdmckain
Nov 29, 2010
If I want to post some of my short indie films for feedback and constructive criticism, would I be better off to post in the Creative Conventions sub-forum, the Cinema Discusso sub-forum or some third option I didn't even think of? Thanks.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Can someone tell me what the "getting poo poo done" font is? I've been trying to search Dafont but I'm probably just blind.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Doll House Ghost posted:

Can someone tell me what the "getting poo poo done" font is? I've been trying to search Dafont but I'm probably just blind.

It's a variant on the classic Benton font Eagle Bold, but I can't find anything more specific than that. Hopefully that'll give you (or other searchers) a good starting point, though.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Thank you! That's a great starting point for me.

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
Is there any way to stop photoshop snapping to the layer you last worked on when you press undo? So, that instead of going to the last layer, it stays in the current one.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Triangle posted:

Is there any way to stop photoshop snapping to the layer you last worked on when you press undo? So, that instead of going to the last layer, it stays in the current one.

This doesn't solve that annoying problem, but what I got in the habit of doing is every time I switch layers, I use my brush tool to make a mark off the bounds of the canvas, or out of my selection area if I have something selected.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
Does anybody know where I can purchase large frames? My last few drawings have been 40x50in and 33x48in and I rather enjoy working on a large scale, but I can't find frames to accommodate them at all. There's one local frame shop that said they can get them but they wanted $600 each. I know they won't be cheap, but there has to be a better solution than that. I don't mind if they're super basic, although I would prefer them to be black.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Whats a good, definitive book full of good modern design? like not so much abstract stuff but like posters and corporate logos and stuff?

Any definitve book?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Gozinbulx posted:

Whats a good, definitive book full of good modern design? like not so much abstract stuff but like posters and corporate logos and stuff?

Any definitve book?

Are you looking for a coffee-table book or a more instructional "here's why this works" book?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Gozinbulx posted:

Any definitve book?

Pick up some Communication Arts Design/Type/Advertising Annuals.

http://www.commarts.com/annuals

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Besesoth posted:

Are you looking for a coffee-table book or a more instructional "here's why this works" book?

instructional, though coffee table sounds good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I just got a set of Tombow markers. Questions:

How do I color things so it doesn't look like a 5 year old did it? Is there a technique to keeping the same-color layers from overlapping? That's the part that always makes it look poo poo - I want an area of flat consistent color.

Do I need a ton of colors to do nice shading? I only have about 12 right now all in contrasting colors (ie, I have one green and one blue, nothing in between).

Why do I have a white marker? The hell is it for?