Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

Doibhilin posted:

Maybe this is all a cautionary tale about a future earth ravaged by global warming (wacky climate) and nuclear war (Valyrian Doom). What a twist!

Haha I'm imagining the series ending on a paragraph of Jon and Dany stumbling on the statue of Liberty "Planet of the Apes"-style.

I would die happy. On the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Wex is a Faceless Man.

Substar
Jan 21, 2001

In Martin's July 30th blog, he mentions going to Bungie a few times while he was in Seattle. Think there is a ASOIAF game in the works?!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Substar posted:

In Martin's July 30th blog, he mentions going to Bungie a few times while he was in Seattle. Think there is a ASOIAF game in the works?!

They're doing SOMETHING ASOIAF-related, but that's as far as we can gleam from it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Master Chief is Syrio Forel. :colbert:

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
I have a half baked theory that the Iron Bank of Braavos is a front for the Faceless Men. They'd have plenty of money from corpses and all the money they receive from their assasinations. It would explain how the Bank is able to completely destroy powerful people so easily. The Banker could even be a Faceless Man, giving Georgie an easy out if he needs to have someone in the North be assassinated or impersonated. Maybe the Winterfell Killer was a faceless man.....

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

KillRoy posted:

I have a half baked theory that the Iron Bank of Braavos is a front for the Faceless Men. They'd have plenty of money from corpses and all the money they receive from their assasinations. It would explain how the Bank is able to completely destroy powerful people so easily. The Banker could even be a Faceless Man, giving Georgie an easy out if he needs to have someone in the North be assassinated or impersonated. Maybe the Winterfell Killer was a faceless man.....

Whoa

That actually sounds really, really reasonable.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

bigmcgaffney posted:

Wex is a Faceless Man.

I found Wex hillarious. We have a witness who is a mute. We can get him to carve what he saw into furniture, but sadly this means teaching him to read and write. (It reminded me of the Blackadder 3 episode about the Dictionary)

I had quite a laugh at that.

Then I realized that it could lead to 8 POV chapters in Winds of Winter where he slowly and painfully strugles with literacy, without once thinking about what he saw.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The thing with the north is that there weren't armies marching all over the place, it was actually relatively empty. The Iron Men were off in the west loving up the coast and most of them withdrew for the King's Moot.

Roose's armies were as far south as Harrenhall and other than Stannis who came by sea, there was basically no traffic south of the Wall.

So, yes, while it does seem implausible for him to have survived in the wilderness of the North during autumn on his own, it is possible. Besides, the Iron Islands aren't exactly a picnic. He could have a handful of survival skills. People weren't looking for him, there weren't even people TO look for him. Really, the only catch in that narrative is Shaggy Dog not sniffing him out. However, this can be at least partially explained by Shaggy being wild and not really giving a poo poo about a random human a few leagues behind them.

Did it say how they found Wex? Did he make it all the way to White Harbor, or did some scouts come upon him while scoping out the ruins of the North?

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I saw a couple of people saying Bran sacrifices Meera, Jojen and Hodor for more warg power? What? Where? How?

That didn't happen in my book, the last bran chapter I had was on page 460, and it ended with him seeing visions in the trees.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 2, 2011

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Rythian posted:

Bran sacrifices Meera, Jojen and Hodor for more warg power? What? Where? How?

That didn't happen in my book, the last bran chapter I had was on page 460, and it ended with him seeing visions in the trees.

I think that's more a theory/implication of the last chapter or two of his. He's stranded his friends far from any kind of safety, and there's seemingly no way of them ever getting south of the wall. The longer they stay there, the worse the winter gets, and Bran seems to have lost all interest in their fate.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Oh. Good, I was afraid I had missed something. I finished it a few hours ago.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Can't the children of the forest take care of them? At least there's fish in the cave ponds....

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Caufman posted:

Can't the children of the forest take care of them? At least there's fish in the cave ponds....

Sure, but how long will each side want to put up with that? Do Jojen, Meera, and Hodor really want to live in a cave for the rest of their lives? Can the Children afford to provide for them indefinitely? That's also assuming that Jojen is just suffering from malnutrition, and not seriously ill.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The rest of their lives? This winter is going to end, right? There seemed to be many children living in that cave, would tree kids and a dude send them over the edge on their provisions?

Also wasn't Jojen the one pushing them to go see the three-eyed crow? Bran's plan was to go to White Harbor and use Manderly's ships to gently caress some poo poo up, if I remember right.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Caufman posted:

The rest of their lives? This winter is going to end, right? There seemed to be many children living in that cave, would tree kids and a dude send them over the edge on their provisions?

Also wasn't Jojen the one pushing them to go see the three-eyed crow? Bran's plan was to go to White Harbor and use Manderly's ships to gently caress some poo poo up, if I remember right.

We have very little idea how long this winter will last, but the overall feeling is that it will be quite long. Jojen's motivation to get Bran to Bloodraven came from his greendreams, which are controlled by the Old Gods and/or the Children. The Children seem to be friendly, but they're explicitly non-human, and their motives are unknown.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Bran is a selfish dick, he keeps mindraping Hodor because he feels 'left out' when the others go exploring.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Bloodraven's, and soon to be Bran's merging with the Old Gods seems like a cyberpunk/transhumanist concept in fantasy dressing. It is strange, awesome, and something I didn't see coming at all. Why should he care about Hodor, and the rest?

He's moving past the world of mortal men, becoming something better, and different...

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Maarak posted:

He's moving past the world of mortal men, becoming something better, and different...

You're reading way more into this than what we know. Not that it isn't plausible, but we know precisely nothing about how he is feeling, in fact, the last time we checked in on him as he was warging into trees, he has the reactions and emotions of Bran the crippled kid. Nothing we know about Bran (yet) says he will stop feeling for the people close to him, unlike say Arya who is going to fail her training, emerge as a robot, or with a vanishingly small chance pass with her personality intact. In fact what little we know about wargs tends to indicate that they strongly retain their personality, even after dying.

As for Hodor, Jojen and Meera, it might not be as safe as say, chilling in Dorne, but I'd rate 'hanging out in a cave with the Children' as safer than Sansa, Tyrion, Arya, Jaime, Theon or Asha.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Bran is a selfish dick

Not that it excuses it, but this is pretty much the defining characteristic of males aged 5-15 (and that's being generous).

hampig fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 2, 2011

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So, I finally just finished Dance of Dragons. Enjoyed it pretty well, can't wait for the next one.

What do you mean 5 years?

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
kind of got the impression that the frogeaters (and maybe bran and hodor) will make it out through the caverns somehow. I don't know that could be wishful thinking.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

crazylakerfan posted:

What do you mean its not coming out?

fixed that up for you

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Maarak posted:

Bloodraven's, and soon to be Bran's merging with the Old Gods seems like a cyberpunk/transhumanist concept in fantasy dressing. It is strange, awesome, and something I didn't see coming at all. Why should he care about Hodor, and the rest?

Isn't this exactly what happened in The Saga of the Seven Suns? :psyduck:

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

hampig posted:

Mance Rayder and Tom of Sevenstrings have some quality time with your womenfolk and beg to differ.
Ok then, you're right.

But didn't Tom O'Sevens end up at Riverrun babysitting Edmure Tully at Jaime's orders? Does anyone remember if it was explained how he got there? And why Edmure went all "oh no, not him" when Jaime presented Tom to him?

roop posted:

And what follows is another example of DWD taking so far unheard of shortcuts - Manderly tells Davos his intentions, his motives, the full reveal and further plots through one conversation. In previous books, the writing and reveals of that nature would've come out of the characters' actions and movement of plot. Not by one character just sitting there and describing what is happening to move the plot forward.
Manderly is fat GRRM's Mary Sue. That is all the action and movement he manages. :colbert:

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

The Mutato posted:

Isn't this exactly what happened in The Saga of the Seven Suns? :psyduck:

Never read that one, I don't have much patience with Kevin J. Anderson, although I did mistakenly read most of his Dune prequels.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Maarak posted:

Never read that one, I don't have much patience with Kevin J. Anderson, although I did mistakenly read most of his Dune prequels.

If I remember correctly, there is a race of people on a certain planet who have evolved to be connected to nature to a small degree. Later on in the series giant elemental tree-ships appear and the people who control them over centuries slowly morph into the treeships and become part of all the other trees (or something along those lines). I actually didn't mind it, it's an interesting, though somewhat obvious path to go.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Rurik posted:

Ok then, you're right.

But didn't Tom O'Sevens end up at Riverrun babysitting Edmure Tully at Jaime's orders? Does anyone remember if it was explained how he got there? And why Edmure went all "oh no, not him" when Jaime presented Tom to him?

Wasn't he the guy who plays that song about Castamere during the Red Wedding?

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.

hampig posted:

You're reading way more into this than what we know. Not that it isn't plausible, but we know precisely nothing about how he is feeling, in fact, the last time we checked in on him as he was warging into trees, he has the reactions and emotions of Bran the crippled kid. Nothing we know about Bran (yet) says he will stop feeling for the people close to him, unlike say Arya who is going to fail her training, emerge as a robot, or with a vanishingly small chance pass with her personality intact. In fact what little we know about wargs tends to indicate that they strongly retain their personality, even after dying.
Being able to see the entire history of Westeros though, don't you think he'll gain some perspective? Couldn't it make his own and his friends' lives seem insignificant?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Substar posted:

http://www.agot-genesis.com/

Not Bungie though.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Rhymenoceros posted:

Being able to see the entire history of Westeros though, don't you think he'll gain some perspective? Couldn't it make his own and his friends' lives seem insignificant?

Oh as I said it's completely possible that he sees the encroaching threat and decides he needs to save humanity.

It's just as plausible though that he goes the other way, and decides that yes, he has stuff to do, but he'll do it for Meera, Jojen, Hodor, Jon, Sansa, Arya, Ned and Lyanna.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
So at this point, what are the predominant theories as to what the Others are and who/what the Enemy is? Personally I think it's the biggest card GRRM has yet to play, and I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be something incredibly stupid, like how Stephen King pissed in everyone's face when he finally revealed the Crimson King.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Argali posted:

So at this point, what are the predominant theories as to what the Others are and who/what the Enemy is? Personally I think it's the biggest card GRRM has yet to play, and I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be something incredibly stupid, like how Stephen King pissed in everyone's face when he finally revealed the Crimson King.

The prologue for the Winds of Winter will begin with someone complaining about the disease and death that have been brought to Westeros and be revealed as the thoughts of an Other. They hate the Children of the Forest and the First Men for wiping out their race / species by some rear end in a top hat with a fiery sword right before he is stabbed with dragonglass by a wildling or someone from the Night's Watch...

geeves fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 2, 2011

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

Wasn't he the guy who plays that song about Castamere during the Red Wedding?

I thought he was the guy who seduced Edmure's lover or some poo poo like that. It still seemed like something of an overreaction on Edmure's part though, he seemed to be really really horrified about the whole thing. Anyone have a more conclusive answer?

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

geeves posted:

The prologue for the Winds of Winter will begin with someone complaining about the disease and death that have been brought to Westeros and be revealed as the thoughts of an Other. They hate the Children of the Forest and the First Men for wiping out their race / species by some rear end in a top hat with a fiery sword right before he is stabbed with dragonglass by a wildling or someone from the Night's Watch...

That would be pretty cool. But what are the theories as to why the Others are stirring north of the Wall again?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Argali posted:

That would be pretty cool. But what are the theories as to why the Others are stirring north of the Wall again?

Because winter is almost there. Also I just finished adwd and that poo poo sucked. Im sorry to say but that's another poo poo filler novel and I am pretty sure he set the record for saying cock or oval office on every page in the book.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Because winter is almost there.

Is that it though? I've always had the sense from the series that this winter is different - that the Others are out in force this time because there's actually something driving them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Argali posted:

Is that it though? I've always had the sense from the series that this winter is different - that the Others are out in force this time because there's actually something driving them.

Sorry no rape and lemoncake jokes, forgot. Anyway I have no idea why the Others are coming down more. Its supposed to be a really nasty long Winter, maybe thats driving them. Though after reading those crap Tyrion chapters I am loving begging for some more Sansa chapters just to have someone to hate more now.

I can't believe he could make Tyrion an annoying poo poo character.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 2, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

one thing I was sure would happen but didn't was that they made a big deal that once an animal had been broken anyone could ride them (varamyr stole his master's wolf to deny him the 2nd life, for example), and varamyr's wolf is in Bran's new pack and hodor has been broken. I thought it was a certainty that varamyr would steal hodor as a body or hitch a ride on bran somehow and when bran gets all selfish and wants to climb with the others.

Altamir
Aug 8, 2007
It's all my fault!

Krinkle posted:

one thing I was sure would happen but didn't was that they made a big deal that once an animal had been broken anyone could ride them (varamyr stole his master's wolf to deny him the 2nd life, for example), and varamyr's wolf is in Bran's new pack and hodor has been broken. I thought it was a certainty that varamyr would steal hodor as a body or hitch a ride on bran somehow and when bran gets all selfish and wants to climb with the others.

I'm pretty sure Varamyr clearly stated that once he enters his second life he loses his ability to warg. That it dies with the body. If so wargers could live forever. That's whats going to be slightly tricky with Jon warging into Ghost. Sure he lives, but how does he get back?! My guess would be Melisandra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Krinkle posted:

I had assumed that retaining your identity was part of the warging ability, and that the whole shebang stayed with your now dead body when you embarked on your second life.