Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Sprawl posted:

That upload is beautiful and I thought my 0.75 mbps was good. To bad that this is the best I have to offer here in my location at Kelowna. Your download speed is even double mine, that's one nice connection you have there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Rawrbomb posted:

I would kill for you're upload. I'm on a 15/1 and we're reguarlly getting 30~, but we never get much more upload :(

Isn't any sort of speed like 30mbps just the result of powerboost?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Oh god, it's even worse today.

That's abysmal. Bell's charging them $60 a month, and they're getting this.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 31, 2011

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

blah_blah posted:

Isn't any sort of speed like 30mbps just the result of powerboost?

Possibly, i've seen spikes into the 60mbps range for a few seconds and then down to 20-30 sustained though.

I can easily sustain 2~ MBps down total on large number of trasnfers with my speed remaining mostly useable for browsing/yt.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

I'm too scared to change from this (unlimited) DSL package at $39.99/month to the FiberOP here in Atlantic Canada. Friends who are on it see almost the 30/30Mbps testing during prime-time, humm my apartment has the option for 170Mbps/30Mbps. What scares me is the cost changes after 90 days to a fair market value which in the small detail can be set at any cost at any time by Bell Aliant, also in the AUP general accepted bandwidth usage is 250GB/month.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Rawrbomb posted:

Possibly, i've seen spikes into the 60mbps range for a few seconds and then down to 20-30 sustained though.

I can easily sustain 2~ MBps down total on large number of trasnfers with my speed remaining mostly useable for browsing/yt.

Well, yes. 2MBps is 16Mbps, so that's to be expected. You almost certainly aren't getting 30+Mbps.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

After dealing with Bell customer support for over 2 hours (during which, time lost all meaning), they were able to finally tell me that the reason my parents are getting such slow speeds is because the plan they're paying for is up to 5 Mbps, unlimited. For $63.95 a month. So it took me over two hours to find out that their internet is slow just because... Bell is ripping them off because they want to cap their customers. Thanks, Bell!

I explained to them that TekSavvy cable internet is 3 times as fast for the same cost, so hopefully that's one less customer for Bell.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
As painful as that sounds, be thankful it wasn't a problem with the wiring. Having to schedule a tech to come out and replace the wiring can be brutal, especially if you found out after switching them to Teksavvy since there'd be a dispatch fee.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Anyone else in BC having some DNS/e-mail/page loading time issues with Telus?

Toanek
Feb 21, 2008

It's a fiesta of personal triumph!

drcru posted:

Anyone else in BC having some DNS/e-mail/page loading time issues with Telus?

Yes, apparently it's on their end. Don't try restarting your modem right now because the device registration server is down too.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Toanek posted:

Yes, apparently it's on their end. Don't try restarting your modem right now because the device registration server is down too.

Yeah, I had to change the MAC address back to the previous one which was annoying :(

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I know they're an evil company, but I'm still pretty happy with Shaw. I don't ever go over my allotted 500GB/month, but I've gotten into the high 300s and low 400s in the past few months

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Come on, you're paying for 100/5, not 86/4.8. Hold those companies accountable!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rukus posted:

As painful as that sounds, be thankful it wasn't a problem with the wiring. Having to schedule a tech to come out and replace the wiring can be brutal, especially if you found out after switching them to Teksavvy since there'd be a dispatch fee.

If it's a problem on the outside, doesn't that fall under being a Bell issue and you're not charged for the dispatch? You should only be charged for if it's a problem inside the house (i.e. they consider that your fault).

I've been without Internet since Thursday but I couldn't make a call about it until Monday. I had a Bell technician call me only an hour after I got done with the tech support (must be employment perks) but the guy claimed he would call back and didn't. Hmmmmm.

No Internet except at work :(

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Lone Rogue posted:

If it's a problem on the outside, doesn't that fall under being a Bell issue and you're not charged for the dispatch? You should only be charged for if it's a problem inside the house (i.e. they consider that your fault).

I've been without Internet since Thursday but I couldn't make a call about it until Monday. I had a Bell technician call me only an hour after I got done with the tech support (must be employment perks) but the guy claimed he would call back and didn't. Hmmmmm.

No Internet except at work :(

As far as I know if Teksavvy submits a service call to the ISP they're riding on (Rogers or Bell) there's a service charge to send the guy out. From what I've read on DSLReports Bell/Rogers also send their techs to their own customers first before sending them out to third-party ISP customers' homes.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Rukus posted:

As far as I know if Teksavvy submits a service call to the ISP they're riding on (Rogers or Bell) there's a service charge to send the guy out. From what I've read on DSLReports Bell/Rogers also send their techs to their own customers first before sending them out to third-party ISP customers' homes.

Yea thats how when you sign up with telus/shaw here you can get 1-2 day turn around on getting an installers.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

Sprawl posted:

Ah depends on what happens with the ubb ruling but its looking like it wont pass from the last few meetings.
Is there somewhere where can I get updates on these meetings? I'd like to keep up with what's going on but I don't really have the patience to sit through an entire audio session.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Vergeh posted:

Is there somewhere where can I get updates on these meetings? I'd like to keep up with what's going on but I don't really have the patience to sit through an entire audio session.

https://twitter.com/#!/OpenMedia_ca Open Media has been following them and they were tweeting select things during the sessions.

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I am seriously regretting my TekSavvy choice. I've waited on hold for an hour twice this week, I've never gotten a call back from them, and I'm not at the speed I'm paying for. Buyer beware.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Twiin posted:

I am seriously regretting my TekSavvy choice. I've waited on hold for an hour twice this week, I've never gotten a call back from them, and I'm not at the speed I'm paying for. Buyer beware.

You do understand the concept of up to 15mbit right? They don't sell you a guaranteed 15mbit.

If anything, your speeds would be similar the same as if you went with your local cable provider and you'd get poo poo on more thoroughly.

It can be a few things with cable, node congestion (your area), cabling (a bitch to troubleshoot in a large building), or even your hardware.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Twiin posted:

Well they are leasing the network usually thats the local providers fault ie. rogers typically.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Twiin posted:

They are busy from all the people switching over.

Try posting to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy and explain your issue politely and professionally and you'll get some help if you don't like waiting on the phone.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Twiin posted:

Weird, I called them a few times last month and never had to wait all that long on hold, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe it's because I'm out west and was calling in the evening, aka middle of the night back east.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Rawrbomb posted:

You do understand the concept of up to 15mbit right? They don't sell you a guaranteed 15mbit.

If anything, your speeds would be similar the same as if you went with your local cable provider and you'd get poo poo on more thoroughly.

It can be a few things with cable, node congestion (your area), cabling (a bitch to troubleshoot in a large building), or even your hardware.

Yeah, I understand the concept of 'up to 15mbit'. But when my service moves from 10mbit to 15mbit and my DL speeds stay exactly at 10mbit all the time at all hours of the day I don't really buy that it's congestion.

I got in touch with them after 45 minutes today and they told me they couldn't do anything as long as I have a router plugged into the modem. So I need to borrow a friend's laptop to plug into the modem before they'll troubleshoot any further.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Twiin posted:

Yeah, I understand the concept of 'up to 15mbit'. But when my service moves from 10mbit to 15mbit and my DL speeds stay exactly at 10mbit all the time at all hours of the day I don't really buy that it's congestion.

I got in touch with them after 45 minutes today and they told me they couldn't do anything as long as I have a router plugged into the modem. So I need to borrow a friend's laptop to plug into the modem before they'll troubleshoot any further.

That's a load of poo poo they are simply lying to you.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Sprawl posted:

Welp.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Twiin posted:

Welp.

Not really a lie, lots of ISP require you to plug your computer directly into the modem to check to see if there is a problem. Often it is an issue with a third party router before its the modem. Not always, but it is a valid thing to check and on every big isp's list of things to make you do for the 1000th time.

Did you reboot your modem?
Did you reboot your router?
Did you try bypassing the router and hooking directly into the modem?
Have you rebooted your computer?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Rawrbomb posted:

Not really a lie, lots of ISP require you to plug your computer directly into the modem to check to see if there is a problem. Often it is an issue with a third party router before its the modem. Not always, but it is a valid thing to check and on every big isp's list of things to make you do for the 1000th time.

Did you reboot your modem?
Did you reboot your router?
Did you try bypassing the router and hooking directly into the modem?
Have you rebooted your computer?

Yeah, I know it's on the checklist. But I was getting 25mbps down 24/7 through this router at my last place without a hiccup, and the guy wouldn't do anything other than run me through speedtest.net to confirm that I was getting 10mbps.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sprawl posted:

:getout:

Twiin posted:

Yeah, I know it's on the checklist. But I was getting 25mbps down 24/7 through this router at my last place without a hiccup, and the guy wouldn't do anything other than run me through speedtest.net to confirm that I was getting 10mbps.

Because when they open a ticket with Rogers, this is the first thing they get asked. Things go a lot easier if you just go to Rogers and show them proof of the speedtest.

And yes, any ISP in the world will ask you to do this test and has been since commercial routers became popular.

Why do you have to use a laptop? Is there a reasons you can't connect your modem directly to your PC?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Bonzo posted:

Because when they open a ticket with Rogers, this is the first thing they get asked. Things go a lot easier if you just go to Rogers and show them proof of the speedtest.

And yes, any ISP in the world will ask you to do this test and has been since commercial routers became popular.

Why do you have to use a laptop? Is there a reasons you can't connect your modem directly to your PC?

The speed test is fine as a diagnostic tool if there's some follow up, but just as a"well, I guess we're done now" step is annoying. I can't plug my pc directly in because it's on a different floor, and I have a cable that reaches from the pc to the router, and another cable from the router to the modem. No mega cable to bridge the two.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Twiin posted:

The speed test is fine as a diagnostic tool if there's some follow up, but just as a"well, I guess we're done now" step is annoying. I can't plug my pc directly in because it's on a different floor, and I have a cable that reaches from the pc to the router, and another cable from the router to the modem. No mega cable to bridge the two.

Cannot take pc to modem? CAnnot bring modem to pc?

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Twiin posted:

Your router needs to be eliminated as part of troubleshooting. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Rawrbomb posted:

Cannot take pc to modem? CAnnot bring modem to pc?

My PC is a crazy heavy full-tower server hooked up to all kinds of temperamental music gear and it would take more work than I'm willing to put in to bring it up and down flights of stairs and have it still working the way it was when I started.

Septimus posted:

Your router needs to be eliminated as part of troubleshooting. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Right, I get that. But it's not like we spent a half-hour trying things and then he said "well, I guess we need to disconnect the router". He just flat out refused to do any troubleshooting.

Edit: Anyway, this isn't fix-Twiin's-internet day on SA or anything. My point is just that the customer service I've received from TekSavvy has been total garbage. Rogers has bent over backwards with daily phone calls from supervisors to fix and troubleshoot connectivity issues for me in the past (with my router connected, I'll add), and I naively expected things to get better, not worse, when I switched.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 5, 2011

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Twiin posted:

Right, I get that. But it's not like we spent a half-hour trying things and then he said "well, I guess we need to disconnect the router". He just flat out refused to do any troubleshooting.

Edit: Anyway, this isn't fix-Twiin's-internet day on SA or anything. My point is just that the customer service I've received from TekSavvy has been total garbage. Rogers has bent over backwards with daily phone calls from supervisors to fix and troubleshoot connectivity issues for me in the past (with my router connected, I'll add), and I naively expected things to get better, not worse, when I switched.

You realize that the router is often an issue with speeds on home networks, and that by attempting to diagnose without eliminating it (which, for 99% of people is super easy - just plug in your laptop directly into the modem, you are the anomaly with a huge full tower) could very easily wind up being a huge waste of everyone's time? Also, how far away are your router and modem such that there's no way you could connect the PC --> modem?

And maybe rogers has bent over backwards for you. But you need to understand, you're about the only person I've EVER heard of who's had a good experience with rogers. Everyone I know who's dealt with them absolutely hated the experience, myself included. Dealing with teksavvy is a dream by comparison for the large majority of people. Honestly, you kinda come off as an rear end in a top hat about the whole situation.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

TrueChaos posted:

You realize that the router is often an issue with speeds on home networks, and that by attempting to diagnose without eliminating it (which, for 99% of people is super easy - just plug in your laptop directly into the modem, you are the anomaly with a huge full tower) could very easily wind up being a huge waste of everyone's time? Also, how far away are your router and modem such that there's no way you could connect the PC --> modem?

And maybe rogers has bent over backwards for you. But you need to understand, you're about the only person I've EVER heard of who's had a good experience with rogers. Everyone I know who's dealt with them absolutely hated the experience, myself included. Dealing with teksavvy is a dream by comparison for the large majority of people. Honestly, you kinda come off as an rear end in a top hat about the whole situation.

My router and modem are about thirty feet apart. Plus about another thirty feet of cable to the PC. I'll borrow a laptop, that's not the point.

If I come off like an rear end in a top hat after being brushed off in five minutes flat after spending hours trying to speak to someone about the issue, that's fine with me. I switched to TekSavvy because I have a lot of respect for what they're trying to do politically, and they had a lot of great reviews when they launched. But growing pains or not, I know garbage treatment when I get it, and I know the tech support brush off when I get it too, because I've worked tech support. It's just disappointing.

But, whatever. Either they'll fix it or they won't, and if they won't I'll get a 50mbps connection from Rogers.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Twiin posted:

But, whatever. Either they'll fix it or they won't, and if they won't I'll get a 50mbps connection from Rogers.

Are there any other Independent ISPs in your area?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Lone Rogue posted:

Are there any other Independent ISPs in your area?

Honestly, I don't know. I'd have to find out. I just moved to Toronto, so I assume so, but I don't know what the ISP scene is like here.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Twiin posted:

Honestly, I don't know. I'd have to find out. I just moved to Toronto, so I assume so, but I don't know what the ISP scene is like here.

Well look. Seriously. Why the gently caress would you go to Rogers when you haven't even taken a peek at all of your options? I know big companies like Bell and Rogers are "easy" but so is a job at Wal-Mart. You deserve better.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Lone Rogue posted:

Well look. Seriously. Why the gently caress would you go to Rogers when you haven't even taken a peek at all of your options? I know big companies like Bell and Rogers are "easy" but so is a job at Wal-Mart. You deserve better.

Honestly? TekSavvy was the only independent ISP I'd seen people say good things about on DSLReports when I spent any time there, so they were the only one I was willing to take a chance on. But that was a few years ago. I'll take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Twiin posted:

My PC is a crazy heavy full-tower server hooked up to all kinds of temperamental music gear and it would take more work than I'm willing to put in to bring it up and down flights of stairs and have it still working the way it was when I started.

My router and modem are about thirty feet apart. Plus about another thirty feet of cable to the PC. I'll borrow a laptop, that's not the point.

Ethernet cable is cheap.

You sound like you don't want to follow the steps of the techs just because you think it's bullshit or how it's somehow unrelated. It's called troubleshooting.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 5, 2011