Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Wade Wilson posted:

Is going nuke really all that terrible if you already have zero social life and work 10+ hours a day in your civilian job in a cubicle, anyway (assuming you can still hack it through the schooling/aren't too stubborn to learn new things, etc.)?

If you think 10 hours a day is a rough day, you might want to reconsider going nuke.

I wrote a bit of stuff that came off way too negative. Instead, read this website.

http://www.newnavy.us/naval-resignation-letter.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

quote:

I disagree with how the Navy manages their personnel, particularly submarine JO's. I may very likely be separated from the Navy due to my poor physical fitness. At the same time, detailers threaten that if JO's currently on contract do not sign up for SOAC, they will be sent to Iraq. My first problem is that I do not see how my fitness level is relevant to my job.

Crying fatbody.

edit: holy poo poo, clicking around this site is the rantings of a mad man. Forget the resignation letters, this website itself should be a deterrent enough for anyone wishing to go sub.

Quarterly Prophet fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 1, 2011

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Ah the memories of a nuke spu who was too fat to go down to the boat. That is why he made spu.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wade Wilson posted:

Is going nuke really all that terrible if you already have zero social life and work 10+ hours a day in your civilian job in a cubicle, anyway (assuming you can still hack it through the schooling/aren't too stubborn to learn new things, etc.)?

The thing is it's all dependent on your command and your own ability. If you're good at retaining poo poo and a decent operator you'll have no problem in the training pipeline and it'll be relatively stress-free with a lot of free time.

As for the fleet, I'll give you my own experience because it was a tale of two worlds. My first command was awesome, the RO seemed to genuinely care about the morale of his department and it was literally the best job that I've ever had. After that we got a new RO and went over to the shipyards and it went from being the best job I've ever had to the worst year and a half of my life in the shipyards.

I guess my point is that being a nuke isn't inherently lovely like most people here will tell you.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

belt posted:

I guess my point is that being a nuke isn't inherently lovely like most people here will tell you.

Tell that to a sub nuke heh

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

moker posted:

Tell that to a sub nuke heh

Tell that to a sub nuke that went on a UNITAS right before an ORSE. Did you know that there isn't a single port in South America that can support shore power? Guess what that means? Droppin' anchor with P/S duty days and P/S steaming watches, while the coners stand 5-section in-port watches. :toot:

And since ORSE was right around the corner, why not run drils the entire 6 months while painting/preserving?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

Did you know that there isn't a single port in South America that can support shore power? Guess what that means? Droppin' anchor with P/S duty days and P/S steaming watches, while the coners stand 5-section in-port watches. :toot:

Tell me you are loving joking

Its pretty hosed up that they'd pull in just so the cone could go on liberty, fully knowing that the nukes are stuck

I mean I understand when it happened to us since we had to cool down in hawaii to fix some poo poo, but that is a whole new level of assholishness

Totally would've paid a coner to buy me some booze and prolly would've got drunk on watch :cool:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

KetTarma posted:

If you think 10 hours a day is a rough day, you might want to reconsider going nuke.

I wrote a bit of stuff that came off way too negative. Instead, read this website.

http://www.newnavy.us/naval-resignation-letter.htm

That's the thing, to me it's an easy work period, but I've seen posts talking about these 10-12 hour days like they're the end of the world or something and thinking back to when I was pulling 16 hour days for about two months straight with no days off and thinking that's crybaby talk (though I did get a whole week off after doing that before being put back on the "normal" 10-12 hour days).

Point is that I'm thinking that I'd actually be okay working long hours in the Navy, having always worked long hours since I first started working for a living (going from a machine shop to the engineering department I work in now) and was wondering what else other than "long shift" would be the actual problem.

belt posted:

The thing is it's all dependent on your command and your own ability. If you're good at retaining poo poo and a decent operator you'll have no problem in the training pipeline and it'll be relatively stress-free with a lot of free time.

As for the fleet, I'll give you my own experience because it was a tale of two worlds. My first command was awesome, the RO seemed to genuinely care about the morale of his department and it was literally the best job that I've ever had. After that we got a new RO and went over to the shipyards and it went from being the best job I've ever had to the worst year and a half of my life in the shipyards.

Ah, okay, so it really isn't all that different from some civilian jobs where if your immediate boss is a dick you basically just have to suck it up and deal with it until your contract is up (and to some degree how unpleasant/pleasant it ends up being depends on how you approach it, etc.)?

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

Wade Wilson posted:

Ah, okay, so it really isn't all that different from some civilian jobs where if your immediate boss is a dick you basically just have to suck it up and deal with it until your contract is up (and to some degree how unpleasant/pleasant it ends up being depends on how you approach it, etc.)?

FWIW, getting out of a contract with the Navy is a whole hell of a lot harder than getting out of any civilian contract, I'm guessing. Just something to keep in mind.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't think I said anything close to getting out of any contract, though?

I know what you're saying (& already know that).

Giudecca
May 14, 2006

i'm so glad i'm better than you are.

moker posted:

Tell me you are loving joking

Its pretty hosed up that they'd pull in just so the cone could go on liberty, fully knowing that the nukes are stuck

I mean I understand when it happened to us since we had to cool down in hawaii to fix some poo poo, but that is a whole new level of assholishness

Totally would've paid a coner to buy me some booze and prolly would've got drunk on watch :cool:

Actually, in both Brazil and Peru I believe we had shore power hooked up to a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Giudecca posted:

Actually, in both Brazil and Peru I believe we had shore power hooked up to a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.

I'm sure neither of those piers could accomodate a dinky little submarine.

Fun fact: our anchor broke in Brazil, cutting liberty short for everyone. :mad:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

I'm sure neither of those piers could accomodate a dinky little submarine.

Fun fact: our anchor broke in Brazil, cutting liberty short for everyone. :mad:

I heard a rumor before that the vast majority of 688 anchors broke off due to how they were stored...we never used ours though

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I was always told on my sub that if we released the anchor we would never stop it.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Third World Reggin posted:

I was always told on my sub that if we released the anchor we would never stop it.

Yeah I think that was it....I dunno how they screwed that up so bad if its true

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

code:
|\  8  /|
||  8  ||
||  8  ||
|/  8  \|
    |
  --+--
IRCC it looked like this, and those are two plates that would try to squeeze the chain, but didn't have enough grip to stop it.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
So I got a 97 on the ASVAB and the Navy recruiter is pushing nuke hard.
My VE+AR+MK+MC=268 and my AR+MK+EI+GS=267 so he says I do not have to take the second test.

Thing is I have an arts degree that has a heavy math emphasis to the 8th grade level and never really thought of myself as a "cutting edge" math and science kind of guy. I told my recruiter this and what he told me is that I obviously am, and that maybe I have never been amazing at math and science because I am just lazy. I mean I would love to be taught all this stuff and it seems that there is a really supportive program in place to make sure that I succeed. I think this thread has prepared me for the reality of what working as a nuke is like.

Do I have a shot or this or is this just an attempt by the recruiter trying to stake a place in the house that Jack built. The fact that I went from being suspicious of the nuke program as a SEAL type wash out attraction, to thinking I have a pretty good shot makes me feel suspect. Obviously you folks do not know me but how much of a connection exists between nuke success and ASVAB scores?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
You don't really need a science/math background to do well in nuke school....the difficulty isn't the concepts but more the amount of material you're expected to learn. No calculus or anything is involved so much of the math is just algebra and knowing equations to use and how to manipulate them. I'd say you do fine IF you're willing to put the work in. Getting through nuke school isn't some insanely hard thing like the SEAL program so don't let it intimidate you like that.

I knew some guys with 70s on their ASVABs but they did well because they were willing to put in the work and not act like high school jackasses. If you're decently smart I think work effort and maturity level are way more important than be a really smart person

Also, at least when I was in nuke school, they weren't looking to kick people out of the program for not doing super well academically. They were much more likely to kick you out of school for doing dumb poo poo like underage drinking, lying about hours studied, etc than they were to kick a person out that was really working hard and just struggling with the schoolwork. I dunno how it is now with the economy and being able to get more people into the program though.

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 11, 2011

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

moker posted:

You don't really need a science/math background to do well in nuke school....the difficulty isn't the concepts but more the amount of material you're expected to learn. No calculus or anything is involved so much of the math is just algebra and knowing equations to use and how to manipulate them. I'd say you do fine IF you're willing to put the work in. Getting through nuke school isn't some insanely hard thing like the SEAL program so don't let it intimidate you like that.

I knew some guys with 70s on their ASVABs but they did well because they were willing to put in the work and not act like high school jackasses. If you're decently smart I think work effort and maturity level are way more important than be a really smart person

I loving love algebra. That is why I switched my degree to liberal arts is to teach algebra to middle school students. I got lovely grades in college because I let work and my marriage get priority over school. So long as they don't make me spend 30-40 hours a week peeling potatoes or some poo poo on top of the schooling I should be fine.

e: My wife is finishing her masters in structural engineering and I guess what scared me the most was thinking that nuke would be just as horrifyingly difficult.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 11, 2011

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So you have a college degree? Have you tried putting in a package for OCS? Don't listen to anything about "Hey you can enlist and then apply because you'll have a better shot" because it's horseshit.

Also recruiters are going to push nuke hard on ANYONE who remotely qualifies because the Navy is always strapped for nukes. Why are they strapped for them? It's not because it's too academically rigorous. Take a look at KetTarma's post history to get a glimpse into why being a nuke is not glamorous, fun, and in some cases downright sucks. If you're looking to turn 6 years in the Navy into a civilian career paying triple, well, nuke might be the place for you. If you're going in because you're a math aficionado and are looking for a challenge, I don't think you're barking up the right tree.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Henry Meowlins posted:

So you have a college degree?
Technically I do have a college degree. The only thing I could ever do with it is go into teaching. It is a Bachelors of Arts in Liberal Arts with a Math Concentration. The next factor to why my degree is worthless is my own drat fault. MY GPA=2.7 Needless to say I am not a very impressive officer candidate and the officer recruiter just sounded like "oh great another one of these". I know its a long shot and probably wont happen but my best shot at getting commissioned would be to get yanked out after one of the nuke schools.

Henry Meowlins posted:

If you're looking to turn 6 years in the Navy into a civilian career paying triple, well, nuke might be the place for you.

I really would not be interested in doing nuke outside the navy. I really want to work as a police officer. I know there is not much overlap in the training but what I want to do is be able to show people who scoff at my grades that I am capable of learning.

MEPS is not until next week so I still have time to tell them to flip the gently caress off with the nuke stuff.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 11, 2011

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Things not to do with a degree.

-Be enlisted.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

Things not to do with a degree.

-Be enlisted.

But I want to be a sea warrior, not some punk kid that shuffles papers with a gold bar on his collar!

Real post: See above to learn about the joys of my degree.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

But I want to be a sea warrior, not some punk kid that shuffles papers with a gold bar on his collar!

Real post: See above to learn about the joys of my degree.

There are plenty of officers with worse GPAs than you. That's not all they look at. They look at the whole package - IE your character, community service, recommendations, etc.

Second, your chances of getting picked up at school are next to none. Yes, people do get picked up. I'm not saying it is impossible, but if that's your only reason to want to join, that's the wrong drat reason.

If you want to be a cop, apply for the damned police academy. Don't sign away a good 4-6 years of your life to do something you might hate when you already know it isn't what you want to do.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Also I only saw TWO nukes the entire time I was in straight up get picked for OCS....one had an engineering degree from Michigan State and nearly perfect scores in nuke school, the other guy made chief in a little over 7 years and was one of the best people we had. Basically its hard.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Henry Meowlins posted:

There are plenty of officers with worse GPAs than you. That's not all they look at. They look at the whole package - IE your character, community service, recommendations, etc.

Well I will give it a shot for sure then. That officer recruiter is getting back to me before MEPS. I just never thought of enlisting in the navy as such a fork up the rear end because I have a couple friends from high school that are in it and both reenlisted and actually enjoy it. I would love to go MA like my buddy but I think I hosed myself by doing so well on the ASVAB.

Henry Meowlins posted:

Second, your chances of getting picked up at school are next to none. Yes, people do get picked up. I'm not saying it is impossible, but if that's your only reason to want to join, that's the wrong drat reason.

Understood.

Henry Meowlins posted:

If you want to be a cop, apply for the damned police academy. Don't sign away a good 4-6 years of your life to do something you might hate when you already know it isn't what you want to do.

In California police academy is backed up with no jobs on the outside. I guess what I am getting from you guys is that if I am going to enlist it needs to be for something that I REALLY enjoy.

Was there any validity to my statement that nuke school could impress employers? I just feel like I have this bright red stamp on my forehead whenever I interview.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Well I will give it a shot for sure then. That officer recruiter is getting back to me before MEPS. I just never thought of enlisting in the navy as such a fork up the rear end because I have a couple friends from high school that are in it and both reenlisted and actually enjoy it. I would love to go MA like my buddy but I think I hosed myself by doing so well on the ASVAB.

Understood.

In California police academy is backed up with no jobs on the outside. I guess what I am getting from you guys is that if I am going to enlist it needs to be for something that I REALLY enjoy.

Was there any validity to my statement that nuke school could impress employers? I just feel like I have this bright red stamp on my forehead whenever I interview.

I don't think being a nuke will help your resume more than any other military service unless you're applying for a nuclear job or the person hiring you is a former nuke himself.

With that said, you didn't gently caress yourself with your asvab. Yes, they are going to pressure you to go nuke because that's what they're supposed to do. You are eligible for every single job the Navy has to offer. If enlisting is really what you want to do, demand the job you want. Don't take no guff and don't settle for something you're already skeptical of. Now, the military isn't necessarily taking every person off the street and you may have to wait for the job you actually want, but you can have any job. Demand it! The recruiter is just going to try to shove you into whatever box gets him the biggest brownie points. For you that happens to be nuke. If you want to be a military cop, tell him you want MA and nothing else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm not trying to sound all negative and rain on your parade. I'm just saying go after something you want. You're the one who will have to live the next 4-6 years of your life with your decision. Don't take it lightly and do as much research as possible. Sometimes it's better to walk away than it is to do something you'll regret.

The navy has been great to me. If I can get into law school it'll be even better to me than I could ever have dreamed. Am I a 20 year officer? Probably not. I do enjoy it, for the most part, but I know it isn't something for everyone.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Henry Meowlins posted:

I don't think being a nuke will help your resume more than any other military service unless you're applying for a nuclear job or the person hiring you is a former nuke himself.

With that said, you didn't gently caress yourself with your asvab. Yes, they are going to pressure you to go nuke because that's what they're supposed to do. You are eligible for every single job the Navy has to offer. If enlisting is really what you want to do, demand the job you want. Don't take no guff and don't settle for something you're already skeptical of. Now, the military isn't necessarily taking every person off the street and you may have to wait for the job you actually want, but you can have any job. Demand it! The recruiter is just going to try to shove you into whatever box gets him the biggest brownie points. For you that happens to be nuke. If you want to be a military cop, tell him you want MA and nothing else.

I will. Thanks!

They made it sound like MA was not even an option. I suppose it is the classifier that I need to make my stand to?

Should I not even mention my new hard line stance to the recruiter?

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 11, 2011

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Oh also nukes that get picked up for OCS always go nuke....I think they basically say hey fuckhead either sign up for nuke officer or no OCS for you :shobon:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Nuke officers are just as strapped as nuke enlisted. It might suck worse being a nuke officer. They definitely have way more bullshit to put up with. As a result, most nuke enlisted with officer dreams are stuck as nuke officers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I will. Thanks!

They made it sound like MA was not even an option. I suppose it is the classifier that I need to make my stand to?

Should I not even mention my new hard line stance to the recruiter?

You need to be clear with him that it is your goal to be an MA in the Navy and not just join the Navy. If that's all you really want, make sure he knows as such and that you don't want anything else.

Now, I will say that you might not get in right away. There may be long waits that you might not experience otherwise, but at least you'll be doing something that you actually want to do.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I guess what I what I am confused on is at this point, is who allows me to pick my job? Is it the recruiter or the guy at meps? The recruiter seems apprehensive about making a statement anything job related.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I guess what I what I am confused on is at this point, is who allows me to pick my job? Is it the recruiter or the guy at meps? The recruiter seems apprehensive about making a statement anything job related.

You will actually make your job selection at MEPS.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Henry Meowlins posted:

You will actually make your job selection at MEPS.

I sign and swear tomorrow. I am actually pretty excited about nuke because the math involved is my favorite level plus I love the science involved with it. Some day if I am a math teacher I will have one hell of a response for "why do I need to know this?"

Not UNIX
Mar 29, 2005
It was stupid speculation when the WSJ reported it, and it's stupid speculation now. It's never going to happen.

I sign and swear tomorrow. I am actually pretty excited about nuke because the math involved is my favorite level plus I love the science involved with it. Some day if I am a math teacher I will have one hell of a response for "why do I need to know this?"
If you like math, you will be sorely disappointed. The physics gets somewhat interesting, but everything is simplified to the point that it's barely valid. I don't mean to discourage you, I still like the school, but I have a feeling it won't be what you expect it to be.

(I'm 2/3 of the way through Power School at the moment, so I know jack poo poo about what being a nuke is like.)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We really need to save these happy go lucky posts so they can look back on them after two years and wonder why they didn't want to listen to anyone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm just sitting here smdh.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
But because of human nature, you're going to have convinced yourself you made the right decision. You'll tell yourself that your recruiter, a man whose sole job is to get you to boot camp, preferably as a nuke to pad his own numbers, has your best interests in mind over a bunch of people on the internet. What do we know, after all? We're not the guy in the uniform with the giant rack on his chest and those silvery dolphins staring down at you. We're obviously not right and things will be different for you.

I need some coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I remember I wanted a challenge. I was always good at math and science, and my recruiter was a nuke. He told me some things about it, and I was ok with it. I never asked for help.

From my time in it turns out none of the things I wanted were part of the job, and hell I'd probably would of had more math as a cook than a nuke.

My buddy got told by his recruiter there will be some days during training that you want to go home and put a bullet in your head but you can't since you gotta put in 5 more hours tonight. That part was true for training and the rest of the time.

• Locked thread