Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Drunk Tomato posted:

I bought some cheap Star Trek game for my PowerMac in the mid 90s, only to get home and realize my computer was too crappy to play it. That game was some sort of adventure game- i'm not exactly sure, I'm just going by what I remember from the back of the box since I never got a chance to play it.

What I DO remember, however, was that the game was bundled with a pretty simplistic 2d space combat Star Trek game, where you controlled the Enterprise. There were Borg, Klingons, Romulans, Stations, and you could even find Q sometime. It was pretty arcadey if I remember right, where game boards would be created and you had... objectives of some kind.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/star-trek-the-next-generation-a-final-unity ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rear end-Haggis posted:

I remember way back when, as a kid, my parents had AOL as a provider. Now, I liked games, so I found the early game download thing that they had and found a few. It turned me on to the Exile games and a few other, but I remember this space sim where you were a small fighter-arrow thing flying around as a fighter-colonizer thing. There'd be freighters that'd pop up on planets you landed at and they'd fire at random enemies. it was a lot like lunar lander, but in a space war kind of way. I cannot for the life of me remember the name, but I remember vaguely what it looked like:

Gravity Well

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Dixie Flatline posted:

Gravity Well

You brilliant bastard, thank you.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Nice guess, but no. After another hour of searching I found it!

The game is called "Rescue!" and apparently wasn't even officially licensed as a Star Trek game. Odd, because I definetely only played it via the game I bought (If i recall, it was hidden somewhere within the CD-Rom.... will have to do some more digging.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue!

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 25, 2011

FrenchandNotFrench
Jun 3, 2010

by T. Finn
This ones going to be tough because theres a ton of games like this. Its a flash game where you pilot a little flying sauce/rocket ship around a planet. There was a menu at the start where you chose the vehicle and it said something like: Saucer (Newbie) or Racing Rocket (Expert). You flew around collecting power-ups dodging stuff. Eventually you got rocket pick-ups to shoot. I seem to recall it had a TON of levels. Force fields to deactivate, spikes, other ships etc. etc. I know this is a tough one, but I seem to recall this game was a really good execution of the space lander game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I remember seeing someone playing a roguelike that used Oryx's sprites (you may know them as the sprites used in Realm of a Mad God, for example. They've gone around). I don't know if there are a lot of roguelikes that use these sprites, so from what I remember, it was completely mouse-controlled, and every now and then the player got divine rewards in the form of HP and stats, I think.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

FrenchandNotFrench posted:

This ones going to be tough because theres a ton of games like this. Its a flash game where you pilot a little flying sauce/rocket ship around a planet. There was a menu at the start where you chose the vehicle and it said something like: Saucer (Newbie) or Racing Rocket (Expert). You flew around collecting power-ups dodging stuff. Eventually you got rocket pick-ups to shoot. I seem to recall it had a TON of levels. Force fields to deactivate, spikes, other ships etc. etc. I know this is a tough one, but I seem to recall this game was a really good execution of the space lander game.

I was looking for this the other day actually, the games are Starship Seven and Starship Eleven. The latter has the choice between the rocket and the saucer, the first game only has the saucer.

http://www.miniclip.com/games/starship-seven/en/
http://www.miniclip.com/games/starship-eleven/en/

FrenchandNotFrench
Jun 3, 2010

by T. Finn

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I was looking for this the other day actually, the games are Starship Seven and Starship Eleven. The latter has the choice between the rocket and the saucer, the first game only has the saucer.

http://www.miniclip.com/games/starship-seven/en/
http://www.miniclip.com/games/starship-eleven/en/
Yup! Thanks man! You've made the last hour of my boring office day a little bit less mind numbingly boring!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Morpheus posted:

I remember seeing someone playing a roguelike that used Oryx's sprites (you may know them as the sprites used in Realm of a Mad God, for example. They've gone around). I don't know if there are a lot of roguelikes that use these sprites, so from what I remember, it was completely mouse-controlled, and every now and then the player got divine rewards in the form of HP and stats, I think.

Desktop Dungeons?

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

There was a game I played once at my cousin's that I believe was on the Mega Drive/Genesis, it starred a little dinosaur on a skateboard. If I had to describe him I would have to say he was RADIKAL.
The main level I remember was inside a bigger dinosaur after you skate down his throat for some reason.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Satanos posted:

There was a game I played once at my cousin's that I believe was on the Mega Drive/Genesis, it starred a little dinosaur on a skateboard. If I had to describe him I would have to say he was RADIKAL.
The main level I remember was inside a bigger dinosaur after you skate down his throat for some reason.
This just might be the aptly titled Radical Rex.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

techknight posted:

Need For Speed 2 SE

Enter one of the following codes at any screen:

Cheat Code RESULT
tombstone Daytona car
bomber Bomber BFS car
fzr2000 FZR 2000 car
go48 Log
go49 Crate 1
go50 Beer box
go51 Rock

This is from like three weeks ago, but thanks a ton! I almost said in the post that it was around the same time Need for Speed 2 and 3 were out.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I got one. I have a feeling it may be easy (I hope so)

Had this game back in the day, I'm pretty sure it was on the original PSX. If I'm remembering correctly, it was an adventure-type game, with some action sequences mixed in. You played some dude who traveled through time. Each level was a different era..I remember a civil war type one, one where you're in outer space...and that's about all I can remember.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

This just might be the aptly titled Radical Rex.

Well, it certainly delivers what it promises. Thanks.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Zubumafoo posted:

I got one. I have a feeling it may be easy (I hope so)

Had this game back in the day, I'm pretty sure it was on the original PSX. If I'm remembering correctly, it was an adventure-type game, with some action sequences mixed in. You played some dude who traveled through time. Each level was a different era..I remember a civil war type one, one where you're in outer space...and that's about all I can remember.

Is it Time Commando?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

techknight posted:

Is it Time Commando?

Ha, holy poo poo it is. Wow, that game looks terrible. Apparently it's the highest user rated game on metacritic? Ahaha!

Thanks!

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I've got another one. It was a first person adventure RPG on the PC around '98 (maybe earlier, no earlier than '95 though), I only ever played the demo but the memory stuck with me. It was set in a dungeon, the demo, and the enemies were like orc guys, you could search containers for meat and food items and at one point you could give cheese to a mouse which I think was the solution to a puzzle further on.
The demo ends with you figthing some jumping rear end in a top hat who threw bombs at you and would always kill me. It was 3D too.

I think the main character might have been a girl but I can't actually remember seeing them so that might be completely wrong.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

I remember a game from the early 2000's it was browser based I think, and involved about 9 people playing as different planets and it had turn based combat involving missiles and gravitational pulls.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Factory posted:

I remember a game from the early 2000's it was browser based I think, and involved about 9 people playing as different planets and it had turn based combat involving missiles and gravitational pulls.

Psychorider posted:

Warheads SE

This was from the previous page. Is this it?

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

that was it thanks!

aquil
Apr 23, 2008
Apologies if this has been brought up before, but this has been bugging me for a while: I remember playing an arcade beat-em-up, around 1995, set in ancient/medieval China, that may have featured occasional horse-based combat. Poured a lot of quarters into that thing.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

aquil posted:

Apologies if this has been brought up before, but this has been bugging me for a while: I remember playing an arcade beat-em-up, around 1995, set in ancient/medieval China, that may have featured occasional horse-based combat. Poured a lot of quarters into that thing.

Probably one of the Dynasty Wars games on this page.

aquil
Apr 23, 2008

Sweet, I think it was Warriors of Fate. Thanks!

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

This was an arcade game, and what I do remember about it is that you flew some kind of gyrocopter thing and there was a star, crescent moon, and something else floating in the sky because they came out of the ground and flew up there.

It was really surreal, and I've only ever seen it twice.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Prop Cycle.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

That was it, thank you!

This game has a real NiGHTS vibe from what I'm watching on youtube. :psyduck:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Not really a game, but you start as a random person from a random country, then you click a button to progress a year and see what horrible things happen to you. It's not Alter Ego.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Not really a game, but you start as a random person from a random country, then you click a button to progress a year and see what horrible things happen to you. It's not Alter Ego.
Is this that Real Lives game mentioned a while back?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
This would have been in the '90s, but not sure exactly what year. I downloaded this game from a BBS (shareware) and I can remember a few things about it. I'll be really surprised if any of you can find it.
  • You played as a little red wizard, complete with pointy wizard hat and (I think) shot out fireballs.
  • The graphics were terrible compared to other games at the time; the main character sprite was maybe a 16px square and I remember thinking it how bad it looked bad compare to games like Hocus Pocus and Monster Bash, probably on par with Construction Bob.
  • The character sprite was really small on the screen compared to other games of the time.
  • The background was just solid sky blue, and there were platforms to walk on, ladders to climb and monsters to shoot.
  • I don't remember any distinct levels, you just wandered around.
  • I remember the title having "wolf" in it, but that doesn't make any sense, so I might be confusing it with something else.

There's another (shareware) game I remember from the same era that should be much easier to guess. It was like Blades of Vengeance and you could pick the barbarian or amazon to play as. You went from left to right in jungle and castle levels killing cat people.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 2, 2011

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

techknight posted:

Desktop Dungeons?

Nah, though that is fun too. It had these sprites:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Nah, though that is fun too. It had these sprites:

A bit of googling brought up Legends of Yore. Is this the game?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mehuyael posted:

A bit of googling brought up Legends of Yore. Is this the game?

No, but I am definitely going to give that a shot.

One thing I remember is that the text that typically appears in roguelikes (ie,

You hit for 10 damage
You cast lightning bolt for 5 damage
You've healed 12 hit points

etc)

appeared over the game screen itself. Except for the topmost message, however, it was all very, very faded out so that you could actually see what was happening in the game.

Edit: Also the screen was larger, so I'm pretty sure it's PC only.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Spread sheet by Oryx, huh? Maybe Mad God Oryx, the boss of Realm of the Mad God?

I still know these sprites. Hunter, Rogue, Wizard, Skeleton...

... wait. I didn't read the beginning post.
But it got me to try RotMG again, so whatever.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 2, 2011

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

This would have been in the '90s, but not sure exactly what year. I downloaded this game from a BBS (shareware) and I can remember a few things about it. I'll be really surprised if any of you can find it.
  • You played as a little red wizard, complete with pointy wizard hat and (I think) shot out fireballs.
  • The graphics were terrible compared to other games at the time; the main character sprite was maybe a 16px square and I remember thinking it how bad it looked bad compare to games like Hocus Pocus and Monster Bash, probably on par with Construction Bob.
  • The character sprite was really small on the screen compared to other games of the time.
  • The background was just solid sky blue, and there were platforms to walk on, ladders to climb and monsters to shoot.
  • I remember the title having "wolf" in it, but that doesn't make any sense, so I might be confusing it with something else.

All I can tell you about this is that it was on one of those shareware collection CDs called 'one stop CD shop' if you can get a list of the games on there you might spot it.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

There's another (shareware) game I remember from the same era that should be much easier to guess. It was like Blades of Vengeance and you could pick the barbarian or amazon to play as. You went from left to right in jungle and castle levels killing cat people.

Darkwolf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJTZDfS5RZ4

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
This game was on an old computer, I am thinking Spectrum or Amiga, but I am not positive. It featured the character escaping jail. There was one part on the roof where prisoners were throwing something down from the roof you had to avoid, and another part had a sliding block puzzle. I have searched Google but there are frankly too many results for escaping prison.

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008

rear end-Haggis posted:

I remember way back when, as a kid, my parents had AOL as a provider. Now, I liked games, so I found the early game download thing that they had and found a few. It turned me on to the Exile games and a few other, but I remember this space sim where you were a small fighter-arrow thing flying around as a fighter-colonizer thing. There'd be freighters that'd pop up on planets you landed at and they'd fire at random enemies. it was a lot like lunar lander, but in a space war kind of way. I cannot for the life of me remember the name, but I remember vaguely what it looked like:

I wish someone had a list of all those downloadable freeware and shareware games that used to be in the old AOL games section. I am also looking for a couple games that you could download through AOL that I used to play on my parents' computer long ago. The first was sort of like Chip's Challenge but it took place in something like a haunted house. You could pick up different kinds of weapons to kill mummies and vampires and other kinds of monsters, while you tried to escape. Again, the character you controlled was reminiscent of Chip from Chip's Challenge, and you moved around from tile to tile like that also. I remember it being pretty difficult.

The second game that I'm trying to find involved gangs of pirates attacking each other on boats. If you won a battle, you would get gold to upgrade parts of your ship. I don't remember much about this one except for the small icons of the pirate leaders heads next to each gangs name. I think most had yellow skin and blue hair. It had graphics, but I think it was most text oriented.

I would really be amazed if anyone could come up with the name of either of these games.

I'm also trying to remember the name a game that came bundled with the IBM Aptiva my parents bought around 1997 or so. It was a game like Myst. In fact it might actually be Myst, which I've never played, but skimming through a walkthrough seems to suggest that I might be thinking of a different game. The only part I vividly remember is walking through something that looked like a temple, and at some point there is a snake blocking your path. You have to use a stick or something to move it and continue past it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Holy poo poo that's it! You even got it and I was wrong about like half the stuff. All the awfulness is coming back, thanks!

e: just figured out the other one: Realms of Chaos

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 3, 2011

jack.
Sep 1, 2001
It was the first result from googling "dos game red wizard" ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

jack. posted:

It was the first result from googling "dos game red wizard" ;)

I never tried searching for something so generic.