Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life

fenix down posted:

Vertigo, Psycho, or Rear Window.

Got those three + The Birds in a set, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Jonny Angel posted:

Looking for some good horror films, but for some reason I'm not really big on a lot of the genre's greats. The classics from a few decades ago (Exorcist, original Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.) don't really hold up for me for some reason, and campier/more comedic things like Drag Me To Hell also aren't my bag. Two that I have enjoyed in recent memory were Paranormal Activity and [REC], so I guess if there are any other good faux-documentary horror films those might be up my alley. But that style isn't really necessary: mainly looking for something that's recent and has a pretty serious tone. And is good, of course.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon should be right up your alley.

"The next great psycho horror slasher has given a documentary crew exclusive access to his life as he plans his reign of terror over the sleepy town of Glen Echo, all the while deconstructing the conventions and archetypes of the horror genre for them."

One of my favourites!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

RollingBoBo posted:

I've never seen a hitchcock. What should be the first one?

Definitely Rear Window for me.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
What're some films that are colourful? I mean that in the sense that the cinematography draws from a vibrant pallet, perhaps a little like Survive Style 5+ which is all I can think of that fits my description right now. Film from any period is fine, but I'd like to be able to watch it in HD.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

oceanside posted:

What're some films that are colourful? I mean that in the sense that the cinematography draws from a vibrant pallet, perhaps a little like Survive Style 5+ which is all I can think of that fits my description right now. Film from any period is fine, but I'd like to be able to watch it in HD.

House of Flying Daggers fits the bill, if you haven't seen it already.

fenix down posted:

Speaking of animation, pretty much anything by Pixar or Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) would fit that description, but only a few of Miyazaki's are on blu ray. Now that I think about it, I guess kid's movies are going to be the main source for heavy use of basic colors.

Well, if outright anime is okay, Mind Game and Dead Leaves are excellent, and not kids' movies.

Can't believe I didn't think of Fifth Element. :downs:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 27, 2011

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

oceanside posted:

I don't know what you've seen but I can throw a few out: The Fall, Big Fish, Fifth Element, Fantastic Mr Fox, and Secret of Kells.

Speaking of animation, pretty much anything by Pixar or Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) would fit that description, but only a few of Miyazaki's are on blu ray. Now that I think about it, I guess kid's movies are going to be the main source for heavy use of basic colors.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll definitely try and check all of them out. I agree that kids movies and animation are the main places to look for the vibrancy I'm seeking, but as far as this request goes (and I should have specified this in my original post) I'm trying to find non-animated stuff.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

oceanside posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll definitely try and check all of them out. I agree that kids movies and animation are the main places to look for the vibrancy I'm seeking, but as far as this request goes (and I should have specified this in my original post) I'm trying to find non-animated stuff.
Well this came up on google: http://www.listal.com/list/colorful-movies

I haven't seen most of those but Tim Burton and Terry Gilliam come up frequently.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

oceanside posted:

The Red Shoes

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

oceanside posted:

Kamikaze Girls should suit. Hero's pretty famous for its use of colours too in case you haven't seen it already.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Somebody recommend me some really good American comedies.

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008
Airplane!, Bullets over Broadway and One, Two, Three.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

ProfessorClumsy posted:

If you're talking about films that are funny as well as insightful and thought-provoking, both of Trey Parker's most recent films--South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, Team America: World Police--are exercises in brilliance. Jason Reitman's three films (Thank You for Smoking, Juno, Up in the Air) are also wonderful, as well as Christopher Guest's four (Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, and yeah, even For Your Consideration).

As far as more classic American comedies, Vacation and Groundhog Day aren't mentioned enough. Annie Hall is definitely up there, too. And you can't go wrong with Singin' in the Rain.

If you meant films that were just funny, there are many long lists of those. Off the top of my head, I show all of my friends Wet Hot American Summer if they haven't seen it.

Seconding Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, too.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Any good lesser known haunted house movies? I love more atmospheric horror where the setting is as much a adversary as the monster/villian. I also love uncanny horror, the mixture of the commonplace with the strange (Vampyr is one of my all time favorites), haunted house stories are usually a good blend of the two.

Edit:

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Mel Brooks: Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, The Producers, Space Balls, and a bunch more that aren't quite as good.

mkultra419 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 31, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

mkultra419 posted:

Any good lesser known haunted house movies? I love more atmospheric horror where the setting is as much a adversary as the monster/villian. I also love uncanny horror, the mixture of the commonplace with the strange (Vampyr is one of my all time favorites), haunted house stories are usually a good blend of the two.

I don't know how well-known any of these are, but:

The Old Dark House
The Haunting (1963)
House (1977)
Viy
The Changeling
Burnt Offerings
Ghostwatch
Hold That Ghost
House on Haunted Hill (both versions are pretty good)
Crowhaven Farm
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
The Stone Tapes
Ghost Story
The Sentinel

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Top Secret (1984)
e: If that didn't convince you, the opening scene will?

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 31, 2011

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ProfessorClumsy posted:

American Psycho, Wag the Dog, Our Man Flint.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I recently read Flannery O'Connor's short story A Good Man Is Hard to Find and was wondering what would be the best Southern Gothic films to watch. I've already seen No Country for Old Men and Deliverance and I already gave Blood Simple on my to-watch list. What other titles would you suggest? The time period doesn't matter as long as the quirky, supernaturalish feeling is right.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

These Loving Eyes posted:

I recently read Flannery O'Connor's short story A Good Man Is Hard to Find and was wondering what would be the best Southern Gothic films to watch. I've already seen No Country for Old Men and Deliverance and I already gave Blood Simple on my to-watch list. What other titles would you suggest? The time period doesn't matter as long as the quirky, supernaturalish feeling is right.

Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte has an absolutely killer gothic mood. Fantastic, moody black-and-white cinematography and a very interesting murder mystery/haunted house story.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dark Waters is terrific.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
Night of the Hunter

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

Wise Blood (adaptation of an O'Connor novel, actually)
Wild at Heart
George Washington

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Liberation of LB Jones
Southern Comfort
Deliverance

And you really should do yourself a favor and watch the Thriller episodes "Parasite Mansion" and "Pigeons from Hell."

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

I don't really have any examples to go on (maybe "falling down").
But i'm looking for movies that are just plain angry and filled with rage.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ElectricBlizzard posted:

I Stand Alone
High Strung

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ElectricBlizzard posted:

How angry and how much rage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRj7sTZpf7M

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What are some comparable movies to the Pegg/Frost trilogy (Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, plus whatever is on the way).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Rambo 4.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Angry Ryan Gosling coming right up. :D

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
Need some good creepy, unnerving atmospheric films.

Things I love in no particular order:
Eraserhead, Mulholland Dr
2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange
Nosferatu
Vampyr
Jacob's Ladder
The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Mysterious Skin
Metropolis
Alien
Pi
28 Days Later

Things I don't care for so much:
The rest of the Alien series
The Changeling
Session 9
Silent Hill
El Orfanato
George A Romero movies

irohol15
Jan 24, 2011

The trolls are never sated.

Gardias posted:

Things I love in no particular order:
Eraserhead, Mulholland Dr
2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange
Nosferatu
Vampyr
Jacob's Ladder
The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Mysterious Skin
Metropolis
Alien
Pi
28 Days Later

Things I don't care for so much:
The rest of the Alien series
The Changeling
Session 9
Silent Hill
El Orfanato
George A Romero movies

Session 9 always gets me with the creep factor. Maybe The Cell if you're looking for something a bit hosed up.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What are some comparable movies to the Pegg/Frost trilogy (Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, plus whatever is on the way).
Spaced (TV series)
Repo Man
The Toxic Avenger
I Sell the Dead
From Dusk Till Dawn
Snatch

Gardias posted:

Audition
Blue Velvet
Chaser
The Fly (1986)
Se7en

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

SneakySneaks posted:

I watched Le Cercle Rouge last night and I really enjoyed it (I thought the movie had pacing problems though). I'm looking for more early heist films along the lines LCR, preferably criterion since the sale is going on right now. I loved The Friends of Eddie Coyle and Kiss Me Deadly, something with a harder edge would be great. Country of origin doesn't matter but I really haven't seen any Japanese crime films so recommendations in that category would be great.

It isn't "early" (do you mean "old" here?) but my favorite heist film ever is a Gene Hackman film called HEIST. It's got a great cast (Hackman, Delroy Lindo, Danny DeVito, Sam Rockwell, Ricky Jay, Rebecca Pidgeon) and one of those awesome storylines where everything is planned out from the very beginning. There are some decent twists, and lots of opportunities for the director to show just how much smarter the main character (Hackman) is than the people trying to screw him over, but it doesn't get comedic or campy the way the Clooney "Ocean's" movies do. It's got a pretty hard edge to it, and it portrays thieving and fencing as serious business. Great flick.

Another, older Hackman heist film worth watching is The French Connection.

edit

Prof. ClumsySmurf posted:

Seconding the recommendation for Airplane! and Top Secret!, both of those are among my favorite comedies. You also cannot go wrong with anything by Mel Brooks. I personally am a huge fan of Leslie Nielsen, but his movies tend to be extremely campy and just flat-out goofy and slapstick, so if comedy for the sake of comedy (we're talking live-action Loony Tunes type stuff here) isn't your thing, you might avoid him.

Personally, I think some of the best comedy ever put to film came from early Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, John Candy, Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. They were pretty much the kings of their heyday and you'll laugh through just about all of their movies. To get you started on these guys' best movies, I recommend:
See No Evil, Hear No Evil
Brewster's Millions
Stir Crazy
Silver Streak
Haunted Honeymoon
The Frisco Kid
The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother
Young Frankenstein
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Uncle Buck
The Jerk
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
The Out-of-Towners
Sgt. Bilko
Mixed Nuts
The Great Outdoors
Armed and Dangerous
Caddyshack
Vacation, European Vacation, and Christmas Vacation. Skip Vegas Vacation.
Fletch and Fletch Lives
Funny Farm
¡Three Amigos!
Spies Like Us

Also, I love to recommend The Villain, because Kirk Douglas was hysterical, and not many people are aware that Arnold Schwarzenegger was in a cowboy comedy in the 70's. This movie has a strange ending to it, but it basically plays out as a live-action Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote episode. Also, a younger Ann Margret wasn't too hard on the eyes, either.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 2, 2011

Mr Empty
Feb 23, 2011
I recently watched the film Chungking Express and was wondering if someone could recommend films somewhat similar to it as i haven't been able to get it out of my head. I really liked the dreamlike feel of it with the stylish direction/editing along with the honesty of the slice of life relationship stuff, so maybe stuff along those lines.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Mr Empty posted:

I recently watched the film Chungking Express and was wondering if someone could recommend films somewhat similar to it as i haven't been able to get it out of my head. I really liked the dreamlike feel of it with the stylish direction/editing along with the honesty of the slice of life relationship stuff, so maybe stuff along those lines.

If you haven't seen any other Wong Kar-Wai, you should give In the Mood For Love, 2046 and Days of Being Wild a shot.

omgmofohomolol
Apr 27, 2009

Tender Pervert,
Queerly Swampy.

Mr Empty posted:

In terms of Chinese cinema and dreaminess, I'd have to recommend Ming-liang Tsai's "Goodbye Dragon Inn". The 'relationship' is more of with a physical space but also within a cinematic experience...It'll make more sense if you see it, but the premise is basically a Japanese tourist seeing an old wu xia film in China, so it's like you're experiencing the dreaminess right along with him! Expect lingering shots of rain and people walking.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Mr Empty posted:

You might like The Last Life in the Universe. The story I suppose is a little more outlandish but it's all treated in a very subtle way and the cinematography is simply beautiful (done by Christopher Doyle).

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If you're a fan of the way that the movies are made--very careful shooting, preparation, little details that reward multiple viewings, painstaking editing--then Scott Pilgrim vs. The World will definitely be up your alley. Try watching it twice if it doesn't work the first time. Edgar Wright is the most brilliant director on the planet. I'm making my way through "Spaced," as well.

But I'm also seconding this request, keeping in mind the previous suggestions in regard to your original request. Is The Toxic Avenger really in the same league--intellectually, at least--as Edgar Wright's filmmaking, or is that recommendation more of a reflection of the several undercurrents of moderate silliness in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Doctor Candiru posted:

But I'm also seconding this request, keeping in mind the previous suggestions in regard to your original request. Is The Toxic Avenger really in the same league--intellectually, at least--as Edgar Wright's filmmaking, or is that recommendation more of a reflection of the several undercurrents of moderate silliness in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz?
If you're asking me to explain the recs, I was just throwing out movies that start out somewhat normal but proceed to get goofy and violent in a self-aware fashion.

• Locked thread