Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I'm wondering if a system like this exist when it comes to credit cards and purchasing online.

At my company, we currently take people's credit card information via fax/phone/e-mail and then enter it into a service that charges the credit card for us. The problem with this is that sometimes customers send us the incorrect credit card information and then we have to contact them to obtain the correct one - which draws out into days, even weeks.

I was wondering if there was a service/company where we can attach an invoice/enter in the amount a customer has to pay, which creates a link we can send to customers. The customer then goes to this link and fills out their credit card information and gets charged. Once the transaction is complete, it would notify us via e-mail that the transaction is complete. This way, we don't have to deal with entering the credit card information and the problem of incorrect credit card information.

Authorize.net should be able to do invoicing. There's a fee for each transaction though.

Nearly any payment gateway provider should be able to handle your simple request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Trying to remember the name of this game.. I think it was on Windows 95 and it was one of those pre-installed things or it came in a package with the rest of the CDs you got with it. It had this little adventurer dude that was going through the jungle, climbing ladders and ropes and jumping over alligators and such. It was a 2-D game sort of like the kind Mario is. Help, it's going to bother me all night.

snKestren
Jun 25, 2008

silversiren posted:

Trying to remember the name of this game.. I think it was on Windows 95 and it was one of those pre-installed things or it came in a package with the rest of the CDs you got with it. It had this little adventurer dude that was going through the jungle, climbing ladders and ropes and jumping over alligators and such. It was a 2-D game sort of like the kind Mario is. Help, it's going to bother me all night.

Pitfall?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitfall!

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

silversiren posted:

Try posting your question in this thread, they got it spot on when I asked.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

Edit: Or just read the post guy above me

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

silversiren posted:

Description sounds a lot like some version of Pitfall; Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure looks like it came out at the right time to perhaps be what you're remembering.

e:f;b

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

silversiren posted:

Sounds like a ripoff of Pitfall. Unfortunately that means you'll probably have to be a lot more specific.

Maybe try Help us remember the name of a game!!!!?

Edit: daaaamn

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Encryptic posted:

This is really, really random but if anybody's bored and has HBO's Rome on DVD and wants to look something up from Season 1 - I've had this scene kicking around in my head for days (no idea why) and I finally remembered where it was from, but I can't remember the exact line.

The best I can remember is that Pullo kills the guy who wants to marry Eirene and Vorenus screams something like "You bring this carrion into my home?" at Pullo.

What did he actually say?

The quote, from 1x10 "Triumph", appears to be:

"You do this vileness before my children? You're a damned fool! The disrespect! The stupidity! I'm a candidate for magistrate, I can't have killings in my yard!"

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Besesoth posted:

The quote, from 1x10 "Triumph", appears to be:

"You do this vileness before my children? You're a damned fool! The disrespect! The stupidity! I'm a candidate for magistrate, I can't have killings in my yard!"

Bingo. Thanks!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I have another physiology-related question. With the summer heat, I notice people saying they are leaving fans on for their dogs and cats. Buh? Those animals don't sweat, so how can they benefit? Am I overlooking something or are the fan people just well-meaning but dumb?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Just because they don't sweat doesn't mean they can't overheat. I'm not sure how much a fan specifically would help, but their environment should definitely be kept cool.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Drimble Wedge posted:

Those animals don't sweat, so how can they benefit? Am I overlooking something or are the fan people just well-meaning but dumb?

I don't know about cats, but dogs certainly do sweat.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Through their noses and feet, you mean?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Drimble Wedge posted:

You can post in Animal Questions Not Deserving Their Own Thread and PI will probably give you more detail than you ever cared to know about dog sweating/why fans do(or dont) work

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Drimble Wedge posted:

yes, but a very insignificant amount of heat is dispersed this way. Fans help because they continuously remove the hot air around the dogs' bodies. It's all about air circulation.

Keep in mind that dogs still pant to cool down, and the mechanism behind panting is the same as sweating in humans. Air flowing over the tongue is a massive help.

EDIT: vvv This fellow said it better than I did.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 2, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Drimble Wedge posted:

I have another physiology-related question. With the summer heat, I notice people saying they are leaving fans on for their dogs and cats. Buh? Those animals don't sweat, so how can they benefit? Am I overlooking something or are the fan people just well-meaning but dumb?

Okay, say you're in a room that's like 85°; it's hot, but your body temperature is still hotter. If the air in the room is still, this means that the air right next to your body is just about the same as body temperature, and the air next to that air is a little cooler, and so on until the air reaches room-temperature. The hot air near your body does diffuse, but not terribly quickly. What a breeze does is shove all of the hot air right next to your body away from you, replacing it with room-temperature air. Since this air is colder, it's going to suck more body heat away from you than warmish air would, and then it's going to be immediately shoved away and replaced with (relatively) cool air. Sweating gives us a layer of liquid that makes body->air heat transfer a bit more efficient, but it's not necessary; your computer fan operates under the same principle, and you're CPU certainly isn't sweating.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Ah, perfect. :) Thanks for all the good explanations and for being so patient with me!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I feel like this is the stupidest questions to ever have been asked, but I've gotten bad information all my life.

I was homeschooled from the eighth grade until I graduated high school in 2004. My parents were neglectful and I ended up teaching myself my entire high school curriculum. FWIW, I graduated with a 3.8GPA, but my math skills are far below average. I'm essentially at 1st year high school algebra. My grandmother told me that since I was homeschooled no college would ever accept me, so I got chunked into the local junior college. Due to life and whatnot, I've been in and out for the last couple years and I'm not even close to transferring out.

Is it possible to just do a 'cold' transfer to an actual university or am I hosed? A lot of the reason I haven't gotten an education under my feet is because I've been homeless on/off for the last five years and it'd be really great to live in dorms, rack up some mild debt, and focus on my education like I should have been able to do when I turned 18. I'm 24, turning 25, if it matters.

Also, how much would my inability with math matter in regards to transferring to a college to major in special/deaf education? I'd be going into special/deaf education.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Beyond general ed. requirements, math isn't the biggest deal. You'll have to take remedial classes, but beyond that you'll never have to think about math again except for the fact that you're going into Education, which means you'll probably have to take quite a bit of math unless Special/Deaf is different. But, anyways, every college I've looked at was completely prepared with courses for anybody that needed Math, Reading, Writing, and other core skill classes for college.

Also, look for scholarships, there a ton out there that you're probably eligible for.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

2508084 posted:

I feel like this is the stupidest questions to ever have been asked, but I've gotten bad information all my life.

I was homeschooled from the eighth grade until I graduated high school in 2004. My parents were neglectful and I ended up teaching myself my entire high school curriculum. FWIW, I graduated with a 3.8GPA, but my math skills are far below average. I'm essentially at 1st year high school algebra. My grandmother told me that since I was homeschooled no college would ever accept me, so I got chunked into the local junior college. Due to life and whatnot, I've been in and out for the last couple years and I'm not even close to transferring out.

Is it possible to just do a 'cold' transfer to an actual university or am I hosed? A lot of the reason I haven't gotten an education under my feet is because I've been homeless on/off for the last five years and it'd be really great to live in dorms, rack up some mild debt, and focus on my education like I should have been able to do when I turned 18. I'm 24, turning 25, if it matters.

Also, how much would my inability with math matter in regards to transferring to a college to major in special/deaf education? I'd be going into special/deaf education.

Your transfers would be cake. Going for ASL or special needs education, you won't have a problem transferring all your credits, provided you don't have more than 60 credit hours coming in to the new university. Unless you want to teach math in ASL, I doubt you'll have any issues getting by. I was in a similar academic situation to you (older student, community college preparation, terrible at math) and I had no issues getting by in the social sciences at a decent private university. All I needed were two math courses which basically amounted to Algebra II and Statistics. I took MAT050 (Algebra I, which I already took my freshman year in high school, but I still forgot a2+b2=c2 when I tried to remember). It sucked for me and statistics was my lowest grade in my undergrad, but I still graduated magna cum laude. It sounds like you've had a rough go of it. Talk to an academic adviser at the school you want to attend. I'm sure they'll spell it all out for you, but it sounds like you'll have no issues moving on from the junior college. Best of luck. Throw me a PM if you need more answers. I've been working in student affairs in the post-secondary field for the past 7 years or so. A good friend of mine got her BS in ASL education as well, and I'd be happy to pick her brain for you if need be.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I transferred to a four-year school with a bunch of credits from more than one community college and no associate degree. It's definitely possible. As long as you more-or-less have the credits that they require of transfer students, it would be at least worth going and talking to somebody at the admissions office of the school you want to go to.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Thanks guys. I'll take you up on that offer one day, Eat This Glob

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

So when you're driving through the border of two countries, one of which drives on the left of the road and the other on the right, what does the road look like when it switches sides?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

john mayer posted:

So when you're driving through the border of two countries, one of which drives on the left of the road and the other on the right, what does the road look like when it switches sides?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.svg

Looking at this map, it doesn't seem like it would be a huge problem unless you're in SE Asia or Africa. I wonder if there's an over/underpass system to just route traffic onto the correct side.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I took almost ten years between high school and college, and I had no idea what I was doing so I went and took the SATs. I got an SAT book and studied a ton at the math because I didn't remember a single thing. That was enough for me to get the same score I got in high school and it gave me the knowledge I needed to take college algebra. So you might try that. Most liberal arts majors don't require anything more than that and some not even that (hell, they just decided that English majors at my school can now take the "Math for Philosophy Majors" class as their math requirement).

And yeah no associate degree is required there, if you have the credits you're in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

john mayer posted:

One of those things that surprisingly is covered by Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic#Changing_sides_at_borders

A clever bridge they're building to handle this situation between China and Hong Kong:
http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/22097/bridge_1-L.jpg

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kimbo305 posted:

One of those things that surprisingly is covered by Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic#Changing_sides_at_borders

A clever bridge they're building to handle this situation between China and Hong Kong:
http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/22097/bridge_1-L.jpg

And an existing example (Macau-China):

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

fishmech posted:

I saw that one, but, doesn't it seem ridiculously inefficient to you? Why can't they just split lanes with an over-under? Maybe they want to reduce speed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

kimbo305 posted:

I saw that one, but, doesn't it seem ridiculously inefficient to you? Why can't they just split lanes with an over-under? Maybe they want to reduce speed.

There's customs controls at either end there, so the loops add space for cars to back up while waiting.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

fishmech posted:

I find the new one much more efficient.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

fishmech posted:

The problem with this one is, if you pan the map slightly to the west, you see this. What's the point of having a fancy spinny bridge to get you from right lane to left... if all you're going to do is have to stop and turn anyway? If it connected to a highway system I might understand, but the customs office there stops them anyway, and zooming out, I'm seeing nowhere for a highway to really go through or to. So, for people coming from Macau, they could just stop and have to turn on the proper side of the road; for people heading to Macau, simply have the drivers enter at the northern entrance so they would end up on the left side of the road on the other side. No twists needed.

That infinity bridge, though, is beautiful and neat. This thing (The Lotus Bridge) seems wasteful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Golbez fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 2, 2011

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

2508084 posted:

Is it possible to just do a 'cold' transfer to an actual university or am I hosed?

You've already gotten some great answers, but I wanted to add a thought: my sister actually works in university admissions, so if you'd like, I can pass on your question or (maybe) put you in touch with her. She's on a program in China for the next two weeks, but when she gets back I'm sure she'll be happy to answer any questions you have and give you some guidance. Shoot me a PM or let me know if you don't have them and we can work something out by email. :)

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

There was a photographer a year or two ago who set up cameras on NYC street corners for a day and then used photoshop to stitch together, for example, a scene of 30 people walking by and yawning, or everyone wearing red, or all orthodox jews. Where can I find these?

Asked in request images thread, no bites.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Golbez posted:

Looking at this again, I see one more benefit. If there's at least moderate traffic, it's a compact way for the drivers to get used to seeing oncoming traffic on their other side.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

kimbo305 posted:

Looking at this again, I see one more benefit. If there's at least moderate traffic, it's a compact way for the drivers to get used to seeing oncoming traffic on their other side.

Moving east, maybe. But moving west it appears to have no benefit.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
If you end a sentence with something within parantheses is the punctuation mark inside or outside the parantheses. I think it's outside but I need confirmation because it's bugging me.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Outside. Even if you punctuate the parentheses:

Bananas should be blue (wtf?).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

If you end a sentence with something within parantheses is the punctuation mark inside or outside the parantheses. I think it's outside but I need confirmation because it's bugging me.

No matter what you do, it will always look awkward. Always. Even if one of them is technically right. :negative:

gwar3k1 posted:

Outside. Even if you punctuate the parentheses:

Bananas should be blue (wtf?).

Thanks for this, I was actually curious about it myself.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I don't think it looks that awkward in a writing with references:

This is a fact that has additional data (Refer to Appendix A).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I asked this in TCC, but they haven't replied yet because they're so drat baked!!!

I have never smoked marijuana in my life. However, a girl I'm dating smokes medicinal marijuana. I see her every day, and therefore I am exposed to second-hand marijuana smoke every day.

My work today sends out drug screening notices to everyone, and we are expected to complete it within 48 hours.

If I took the test today, would second-hand marijuana smoke (as of last night) show up on my drug test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crows Turn Off posted:

I asked this in TCC, but they haven't replied yet because they're so drat baked!!!

I have never smoked marijuana in my life. However, a girl I'm dating smokes medicinal marijuana. I see her every day, and therefore I am exposed to second-hand marijuana smoke every day.

My work today sends out drug screening notices to everyone, and we are expected to complete it within 48 hours.

If I took the test today, would second-hand marijuana smoke (as of last night) show up on my drug test?

Very likely, yes. Depending on your actual exposure levels and genetics you could be testing positive for weeks.