Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

SlyFrog posted:

"The futile search for money is the only salve for my empty soul, for I have chosen a profession that makes monsters out of men," chat.
Or "suit chat" for short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
First day in BigLaw was yesterday, and most of it was spent in orientation. So far, it all seems awesome. I can't wait for the shiny newness to wear off, revealing everyone to be soulless automatons who secretly wish death upon themselves and everyone else.

It's pretty cool/confusing having a secretary - what do I use her for? Copying? I don't have any idea how to handle that.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
scheduling, setting up phone calls, basically anything non-substantive that you don't want to do.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Here are the awesome things my (very good) secretary does for me:

1. Mail/copies. I don't dictate, so I print letters to her printer that I've typed and she prints envelopes, gets postage, whatever. This is more involved than you'd think, especially when it comes to pleadings or discovery in cases with multiple parties.

2. Filing. Everything needs to have a copy scanned and also hard copy to the file. She intuitively knows, whatever I put on her ledge, where in the file it goes. I also just stick poo poo in my outbox with a file number on it and she puts it in the right place.

3. Scheduling. I write her an email that says "I want to depose/meet/file this person/pleading," and she checks schedules with everyone, gets filing fees, orders fee checks, prepares cover letters for my signature, calls the court reporter, and all I have to do is sign whatever and accept the calendar reminder.

4. Is a gatekeeper.

5. Advises me of office gossip and complaints (professional hint: this flow of information should always be a one-way street and should come unprompted).

6. Has candy on her ledge for me to eat.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

entris posted:

First day in BigLaw was yesterday, and most of it was spent in orientation. So far, it all seems awesome. I can't wait for the shiny newness to wear off, revealing everyone to be soulless automatons who secretly wish death upon themselves and everyone else.

It's pretty cool/confusing having a secretary - what do I use her for? Copying? I don't have any idea how to handle that.

Use her to tell you how poo poo actually works at the office. Treat her like a god.

In smaller firms she answers the phone. That is a full-time job because there are so many loving direct marketers you don't want to talk to.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 2, 2011

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Here are the awesome things my (very good) secretary does for me:

1. Mail/copies. I don't dictate, so I print letters to her printer that I've typed and she prints envelopes, gets postage, whatever. This is more involved than you'd think, especially when it comes to pleadings or discovery in cases with multiple parties.

2. Filing. Everything needs to have a copy scanned and also hard copy to the file. She intuitively knows, whatever I put on her ledge, where in the file it goes. I also just stick poo poo in my outbox with a file number on it and she puts it in the right place.

3. Scheduling. I write her an email that says "I want to depose/meet/file this person/pleading," and she checks schedules with everyone, gets filing fees, orders fee checks, prepares cover letters for my signature, calls the court reporter, and all I have to do is sign whatever and accept the calendar reminder.

4. Is a gatekeeper.

5. Advises me of office gossip and complaints (professional hint: this flow of information should always be a one-way street and should come unprompted).

Good Morning Mr. Draper. :bigtran:

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Unamuno posted:

Good luck with that; you win the official "you told me so" award, as I'm somewhat convinced that I ruined my life by not dropping out of law school (or fully embracing a career in law and going all-out in pursuing a legal career) after 1L year. :emo:

:(

there's always the "make great friends in the industry and jump at the chance to work with them" route!

(not the legal industry that industry sucks)

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I'm literally amazing at how fast some of these judges can send out rejections. I didn't even think they'd look at paper apps until after the OSCAR deadline or whatever.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

4. Is a gatekeeper.

These are the most important things.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

blar posted:

That's $8,500 a year accruing 6.8% interest. A little better than the 8.5% grad plus loans but still quite the chunk of change when you're talking about law school tuition. Biggest mistake of my life was getting a higher education.

If my math is accurate, this will cost $578, in interest, for the first year of law/grad school, $617.30 the second year (paying 6.8% on the first year's interest in addition to the $8,500 second-year loan), and $659.28 in the third year (paying 6.8% on the first and second years' interest in addition to the $8,500 third-year loan).

Total increase to the cost of a law degree = $1854.59

Or is my napkin-math bad?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Lilosh posted:

Oh well, not like my balance will ever be paid. Keep piling it on!

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011

CaptainScraps posted:

Treat her like a god.
This is probably the most important thing anyone could ever take away from this thread, other than "don't go to law school"

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Roger_Mudd posted:

Good Morning Mr. Draper. :bigtran:

Hey, Don never messed with his secretaries. Until, you know, he nailed one and then married her replacement in short succession. But not til then!

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Treat her like a god.

Please forward this to my boss tia.

He's been on vacation since last week, so I've been: drafting emergency motions, attending court (just to set over, but still), taking phone calls from girlfriends, holdig people's hands theough extraditions, etc. In short, I have learned to appreciate myself more because goddamn doing this poo poo without an extra person to do the little things when poo poo hits the fan is loving ridiculous.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Just accepted the job. I made more money with my first job out of high school. :downsgun:

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Lilosh posted:

If my math is accurate, this will cost $578, in interest, for the first year of law/grad school, $617.30 the second year (paying 6.8% on the first year's interest in addition to the $8,500 second-year loan), and $659.28 in the third year (paying 6.8% on the first and second years' interest in addition to the $8,500 third-year loan).

Or is my napkin-math bad?

That is a lot of money for a degree not worth much more than a bachelors.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Say there, law thread, what can you tell me about the lucrative discipline of patent law?

There's a patent law abuse thread on the forums and This American Life did a whole episode about patent trolls in the software engineering field. I'm more interested in patent law as pertaining to scientific discovery. Do any goons have experience with that?

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011

Save me jeebus posted:

drafting emergency motions, attending court
goddamn having a lawyer for a secretary must loving own

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Defleshed posted:

Oh well, not like my balance will ever be paid. Keep piling it on!
Pretty much. My fed loans were in forbearance until recently while I was paying down my private loans, and I got a statement the other day saying that something like $18,000 of interest had been capitalized over the last year. Doesn't mean a thing to me; it's all just numbers on paper that'll never be paid back. I almost want to see how high I can get the balance.

My only fleeting concern about any of this is that when I want to buy a place in a few years, mortgage companies might freak out when they see the loan balance on my credit report. I'm choosing to believe that IBR and PSLF is something that can be explained to a loan officer at a local credit union.

Carooe posted:

goddamn having a lawyer for a secretary must loving own
My secretary leaves at 3:30 each day whether I'm done working or not, and, on good days, will make a few copies and perhaps mail some letters. I make my own appointments, answer my own phone, and more-or-less have to handhold her through any tasks that she hasn't done 300 times before. :(

10-8 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 3, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gameko posted:

I'm more interested in patent law as pertaining to scientific discovery.

That sounds like the international law panda of the IP world. More so than "copyright lawyer" but still.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

10-8 posted:

My secretary leaves at 3:30 each day whether I'm done working or not, and, on good days, will make a few copies and perhaps mail some letters. I make my own appointments, answer my own phone, and more-or-less have to handhold her through any tasks that she hasn't done 300 times before. :(

She was hired for her looks, wasn't she? ;-*

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Passed both bar exams. Time to unclench my rear end in a top hat after a few months of dread.

edit: I'm pretty sure that unless I decide to go to another jurisdiction I'll never have to write another test in my entire life.

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 3, 2011

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

10-8 posted:

Well then I don't know why you didn't pipe up about a week ago with her name as a potential cut in discretionary spending. Sure would have helped to save us some heartburn.

Because recently there was this debt limit ordeal.

And you work in government.

But your secretary is not that good.

It is a joke.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Passed both bar exams. Time to unclench my rear end in a top hat after a few months of dread.

edit: I'm pretty sure that unless I decide to go to another jurisdiction I'll never have to write another test in my entire life.

Enjoy that feeling. Congrats!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

10-8 posted:

My only fleeting concern about any of this is that when I want to buy a place in a few years, mortgage companies might freak out when they see the loan balance on my credit report. I'm choosing to believe that IBR and PSLF is something that can be explained to a loan officer at a local credit union.

They are on top of things already. We just closed on a place last week and our loan officer didn't bat an eye at my 175k balance. He asked what the payment was per month and I said "Zero Dollars" and he didn't even ask a follow up question. Later I saw the underwriting paperwork and my student loans had a big line through them with a note that said "IBR". You should probably buy now before they pull the IBR rug out from under us somehow. Something this good is bound to be taken away by "Libertarians" or something.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 3, 2011

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Going to law school and buying a house, I don't think a person can make two worse decisions in one lifetime.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

That sounds like the international law panda of the IP world. More so than "copyright lawyer" but still.

Interesting. The reason I'm interested in the field of scientific discovery is I'm currently a professional scientist and I've worked with our staff lawyers on patents in the past. I imagine if I actually want to become a patent lawyer I'll have a pretty tough road, but I wanted to get more information.

This thread has such an awesome op I figured someone would try and talk me out of it. Or talk me into it? Qualifications for a particular specialization (like patent law) is listed in the OP as one of the few good reasons to go to law school.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
What do you mean by the "field of scientific discovery"?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

For scientific discovery I mean biological and chemical research and development. Patenting of drugs for big pharma, patenting custom-made biological agents, small molecules, things like that.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Gameko posted:

Interesting. The reason I'm interested in the field of scientific discovery is I'm currently a professional scientist and I've worked with our staff lawyers on patents in the past. I imagine if I actually want to become a patent lawyer I'll have a pretty tough road, but I wanted to get more information.

This thread has such an awesome op I figured someone would try and talk me out of it. Or talk me into it? Qualifications for a particular specialization (like patent law) is listed in the OP as one of the few good reasons to go to law school.

Patent law has two (arguably 3) career tracks:

1) Prosecution: Preparing patent applications and bickering with the patent office to get those patent applications turned into issued patents. The vast majority of your clients will be large corporations and children of the independently wealthy who are trying to start their own business. You will roll your eyes at the majority of patent disclosures you receive, but proceed to file the case anyway because the client has no interest in paying for a prior art search. Depending upon your field and location, you may be able to get a job doing this sort of work without going to law school, though in my experience it's been tough to find a job as a patent agent lately unless you have an advanced degree in your scientific discipline.

2) Litigation: Suing and defending clients in infringement actions. The vast majority of your clients will be large corporations and/or patent trolls. Technically, you don't even need to have a scientific background to be a patent litigator, but many firms prefer one. The litigator in the office next to mine never EVER leaves before me, and I usually stay until 8pm every day.

3) (Comedy Option) Patent Examiner: Working at the USPTO, bickering with patent prosecutors about why their client's inventions are unpatentable. Good hours, possibility of working from home, six figure salary. The Federal government is also a disaster right now and even though the patent office is profitable and they are understaffed, good luck getting a job there. There's also a pay freeze in effect. You also don't need a law degree to work there.

It sounds like you're looking for a prosecution position, but I can assure you it's not all that glamorous. A non-trivial amount of the inventors you work with will never return your phone calls or e-mails because they have better things to do, like meet project deadlines. 30% or so will be actively hostile to you because they hate the patent system. You will, rarely, get to see some cool technology before it hits the public.

Also, I wouldn't say that qualification to practice patent law is a "good" reason to go to law school. While career prospects for patent attorneys (particularly EEs and Computer Engineers) are not as bad as the rest of the profession, you're still not guaranteed employment.

Still, with all of that said, I like my job, and I make enough money that it ended up being worth it to go to law school. In retrospect though, I took a huge risk that I wasn't even aware of going in (went to a lower T2 law school, graduated somewhere around top 30%), and managed to hit the lottery job-wise. If I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now, but without knowing that I'd end up employed, I probably would have saved myself the ~60k or so of debt and kept working as a software developer.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

NJ Deac posted:

Also, I wouldn't say that qualification to practice patent law is a "good" reason to go to law school. While career prospects for patent attorneys (particularly EEs and Computer Engineers) are not as bad as the rest of the profession, you're still not guaranteed employment.
And even if you do get a job, there is a good chance you will hate it.

NJ Deac posted:

Still, with all of that said, I like my job, and I make enough money that it ended up being worth it to go to law school. In retrospect though, I took a huge risk that I wasn't even aware of going in (went to a lower T2 law school, graduated somewhere around top 30%), and managed to hit the lottery job-wise. If I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now, but without knowing that I'd end up employed, I probably would have saved myself the ~60k or so of debt and kept working as a software developer.
Yeah, I like my job too, and the money is ridiculous, at least for the time being. I did not really take a big risk though (top 20% at top 10 school).

I am a lot better patent litigator than I am a software developer, so I guess I made the right call there between those two. I wish I actually learned to code in school, and stayed more math-focused.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 3, 2011

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Wait - if we have to start paying interest on subsidized loans while in school, what's the difference between those loans and the unsubsidized loans?

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

Feces Starship posted:

Wait - if we have to start paying interest on subsidized loans while in school, what's the difference between those loans and the unsubsidized loans?

Slightly lower interest rates than GradPLUS?

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Gameko posted:

I'm currently a professional scientist 

That sounds pretty rad, why do you want to leave science?

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Feces Starship posted:

we have to start paying interest on subsidized loans while in school

I think these two things are opposites.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

IBR? Heh. :smug: Scotland knows what's up:

quote:

STUDENTS should be able to sell their kidneys for tens of thousands of pounds to pay off university debts, according to a Scots academic.
Sue Rabbitt Roff believes making it legal to sell the body part would boost the number of organs available to save lives and help students struggling with money.

She argues that donors should be paid the average UK annual income of around £28,000.

However, Mrs Roff said she would not sell one of her kidneys. "I don't feel the need or the pressure for money. I'm a middle-class person and I'm not in that situation. But we shouldn't legislate for other people.

"Isn't it very patronising for those of us who are well-off to make decisions for those of us who are not? People must be allowed to make their own decisions.

"Why don't we put the question to the British public and see how they respond?"

She has two grown-up daughters and said she would support them selling a kidney "for the right reasons", but added she would probably just give them money so they did not have to.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yeah right. Once kidney sales are legal the dummycRats will start telling me how much they cost and limiting the number of kidneys I can buy, and next thing you know Obama will be serving bbq white children's kidneys to the king of Kenya at a white house dinner.

NOT IN MY AMERICA

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Was in a meeting today where the marketing director for my firm commented that partner's at big firms are expected to clock more than 2500 hours a year - doing billable work for clients, of course, but also doing 200 or 300 hours of business development plus 100 hours or so of firm management stuff.

I think you've really gotta want that kind of lifestyle to be happy there, wow.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Why can't we return to the days of 1300 hour billable requirements of the 70s :smith: ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
For firms that have ~2500 billable hour requirements, how on earth do they keep billing honest?