Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Ether Frenzy posted:

How many weeks off does Howard get then? 10?

2 in July, 2 in August, 2 in December, 1 at Thanksgiving, 1 at Memorial Day, 1 at Labor Day, 1 additional?

This seems like an entirely reasonable amount of time off. Then again, I'm a geologist.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
I already hate the death week special. Mitch Hedberg, Farrah Fawcett, Tiny Tim and Ike Turner? Really? I wouldn't listen to them even if they were alive.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

dyn posted:

I already hate the death week special. Mitch Hedberg, Farrah Fawcett, Tiny Tim and Ike Turner? Really? I wouldn't listen to them even if they were alive.

Time to load up your iPod brother

My SIRIUS Canada subscription is up for renewal, and this time when I call to "cancel" to get the best rate, I'm going to hardball them down to the lowest price possible and not really care if I do get cancelled.

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 2, 2011

hypersober
Mar 27, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

It really does. Time off from the grind makes everyone more likely to be productive when they are there, and seems like a pretty relatively cheap method to improve morale greatly.

This is the reason why I hesitate to leave my current job. My boss is pretty reasonable when it comes to taking time off from work. I could take up to a month off as long as I give her at least a 6 month notice. In 2008, I visited the Philippines and stayed there for 3 weeks.

In July I took 1 week off. the following week I took Friday and Monday off. I also has a sick day scheduled the following week after.

I work for a non-profit company so the pay is lovely.

nurall
May 4, 2005

hey hows it going

Millstone posted:

Time to load up your iPod brother

My SIRIUS Canada subscription is up for renewal, and this time when I call to "cancel" to get the best rate, I'm going to hardball them down to the lowest price possible and not really care if I do get cancelled.

post what the best deal they offer you, mine is up on the 11th. (us sirius, but shouldn't be too different)

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

nurall posted:

post what the best deal they offer you, mine is up on the 11th. (us sirius, but shouldn't be too different)

Well...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/08/sirius-xm-to-raise-prices-in-2012.html

quote:

Sirius XM Radio Inc. said it expects to raise its prices next year, now that a federal mandate to freeze subscriber fees has been lifted.

"We continue to believe it would be appropriate for us to increase our pricing to be able to continue investing in and delivering the best audio content in the world," said Sirius XM Chief Executive Mel Karmazin during a conference call with analysts to discuss the New York company's second-quarter earnings.

Karmazin did not say how much the increases will be, noting that the company has not changed its monthly base fee of $12.95 since the merger of Sirius and XM in 2008. As a condition of approving the merger, regulators at the Federal Communications Commission barred the combined company from raising its prices. The FCC lifted that restriction Thursday.

David Frear, Sirius XM's chief financial officer, acknowledged that higher prices could decrease the service's number of paying subscribers, which surpassed 21 million in the quarter ended June 30.

"Generally, when you raise prices that you tend to dampen demand," Frear said. "But ... we think that price increases make a lot of sense, given the programming we're delivering and given how long we've left the price unchanged. It just makes a lot of sense to increase it in the future."

The announcement came as Sirius XM reported an 11-fold increase in second-quarter net income to $173.3 million on $744.4 million in revenue. It had earned $15.3 million a year earlier on $699.8 million in sales. It also raised the number of net new paying subscribers in 2011 to 1.6 million, up from its previous forecast of 1.4 million, thanks to the company's push into used cars and other efforts to recruit customers.

Its shares, which closed at $2.11 Monday, spiked up briefly to $2.21 after the morning earnings release, before closing at $2.07, down 4 cents.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Millstone posted:

Is this an age progression photo of Gary? Uncanny.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Maybe they need to raise prices to pay off the inevitable settlement from Howard's lawsuit. Seriously, who was stupid enough to believe this merger was ever in the interest of the consumer?

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Jesus Christ, seriously I mean look at those goddamned teeth.

Ok so let me get this straight. No Artie or anyone in his chair, less Howard per week but more money and more Robin?

SOLD!

Come to think of it, does anyone think Howard just might toss someone in the chair now that Artie is gonna do a show with Nick?

Give us anyone....put Shuli in there, I don't care.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Two Kings posted:

Maybe they need to raise prices to pay off the inevitable settlement from Howard's lawsuit. Seriously, who was stupid enough to believe this merger was ever in the interest of the consumer?

ahahaha, what business venture is?

what business is?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I was just going to say that! (no really)

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

(it's Mel Karmazin)

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

This will all blow up spectacularly before Howard's contract is up. Howard Stern will be doing second tier podcasts on Adam Carolla's ACE Podcasting network, or Kevin Smith's SMODCAST network by the end of next year.

Not really, but one can always dream.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

I have a feeling we're going to see a huge rate hike which is really funny. They're going to lose so many subscribers.

Consider what you can get now with Spotify for only $10 a month. I'm cancelling everything but traffic in September.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Glumwheels posted:

I have a feeling we're going to see a huge rate hike which is really funny. They're going to lose so many subscribers.

Consider what you can get now with Spotify for only $10 a month. I'm cancelling everything but traffic in September.

I don't know anyone who actually pays market rate for Sirius. As soon as you breathe "ehhh, I dunno about that", they literally start throwing radios and free poo poo your way.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
"Hi I'm calling about cancelling my subscription/the basketball goal/the Kenmore dryer"
"I'm sorry sir, did you want to cancel your subscription?"
"Yes/No"

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

"Hi I'm calling about cancelling my subscription/the basketball goal/the Kenmore dryer"
"Yes/No"

That prank call by Richard is pure genius.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

"Yes/No"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWMbJrRv7mM

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

Speaking of Spotify, I found a Baba Booey song on there

http://open.spotify.com/track/6Wu16gF2Ca5mVVgx3Lo2o7

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Alright Eric we have to go now...

PLAY THE CLIP!!! NOW!!

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
"my co....host is saying to play the clip from last night"

"tell your cohost to go gently caress himself"

haha the best.

Ah, the golden era of the Satellite shows.....

:smith:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Did Dominic mention on the show that he was representing the family from the Taconic State Parkway crash? I don't remember hearing about it.

He's in the new HBO documentary. Nice dye job.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
MAYDAY MAYDAY

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy
The boat...the boat..the boat is on fire.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Former Human posted:

Did Dominic mention on the show that he was representing the family from the Taconic State Parkway crash? I don't remember hearing about it.

He's in the new HBO documentary. Nice dye job.

I just watched that...it was haunting to say the least. Proof all over the place she was drunk and the family just couldn't come to grips with it. They found undigested vodka in her stomach and they refused to accept it. Dominic, for his part, hired them a PI who took off with their money then randomly showed up with again once the documentary crew got involved. The PI wanted to be paid to be involved in the documentary...which was hoping to shed some light on it. Way to go Dominic!

We laugh about him, but he really is a loathsome individual.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Everyone on the Stern Show posted:

We laugh about him, but he really is a loathsome individual.

Everyone but Richard that is, that man is a saint.

Maybe Fred too.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The news department ran a story on this, but basically, Robin thinks that "Captain America" should have been less a comic book movie with weapons, explosions, and action, and more a story on race relations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robin-quivers/captain-americas-usa_b_915142.html

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

Sand Monster posted:

The news department ran a story on this, but basically, Robin thinks that "Captain America" should have been less a comic book movie with weapons, explosions, and action, and more a story on race relations.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've read for a while. I'd say some other snarky things about it, but I don't think I could do any better than this comment:

quote:

I could see why you think the movie is designed to be historical­ly accurate and not a work of fantasy fiction based on a comic book since you did not know the date Pearl Harbor was bombed.
With your extensive knowledge on all things I am surprised that you did not dissect the science behind the Super Solider Program that transforme­d Mr. Rogers into Captain America. You could prove to doctors that a diet of fruits and veggies in your mouth and coffee up your bum could turn us all into Captain America. You could explain at a cellular level why ayahuasca is better for increasing neuron transmissi­on in the brain then the drugs and medicines used in the movie.
How about writing about the physics behind Captain America’s shield as a projectile or as a defense against bullets? I think an article on the metals used in the shield would be useful to all the engineers reading your articles.
And for the last 20 years you have been on the radio, when people change their voice to mock you they try to sound like the Queen of England. They put on a British accent and try to sound as high and mighty and self-aggra­ndizing as possible…I wonder why

I have much more to say about how retarded this is, but I'm gonna bite my tongue. I think we're probably all on the same page here.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Uhhh, complaining about Captain America picking a multicultural team is a bit crazy. Captain America can pick whomever he wants, he is a captain. Who is going to stop him? Hey Cap, thanks for saving us and going on this dangerous mission, please don't take any minorities with you, the army hates sending minorities into dangerous missions with low chances to return.

This seems about as inane as complaining X-Men First Class didn't address the issue with teachers not making enough money.

Anytime I think Robin has a valid opinion on movies, I just remember she loved "I Am Number 4".

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Sand Monster posted:

If Captain America's team is as "diverse" as she says, I agree with her. The military simply wasn't that color-blind or open to women in positions of leadership, and it's anachronistic and misleading to say otherwise.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Wasn't Robin crying racism not that long ago because some movie didn't address it? Now she's pissed off because a movie shows a diverse cast?

She'd fit in perfectly at Reddit.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Transmodiar posted:

If Captain America's team is as "diverse" as she says, I agree with her. The military simply wasn't that color-blind or open to women in positions of leadership, and it's anachronistic and misleading to say otherwise.

It wasn't the US military for the most part, it was the secret division that dealt with Aliens and hover cars and super science and magic, people who are aware of aliens and magic powers usually don't bat an eye at black people. It was the early rumblings of Shield, the people who handle all that poo poo and knew better.

All this is moot because the Marvel universe is not our universe, they have actual living gods walking around it, one of whom Marvel made black without even addressing it in Thor, which is part of the same world as Captain America. Maybe racism wasn't that bad because people teamed up together to fight space monsters early on, who knows, the movie didn't cover it. It also didn't bother to explain evolution, religion or if they are as upset about the ending to LOST as we had been.

Plus his "diverse" team has basically just stereotypes anyway. The sneaky hand to hand asian, the brave bold drunk Irish man, the uhh, the black black guy? I think they had a Jewish accountant too.

I'm pretty sure this article would have been better if Ralph wrote it, at least he knows something about the source.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts

AxeManiac posted:

It wasn't the US military for the most part, it was the secret division that dealt with Aliens and hover cars and super science and magic, people who are aware of aliens and magic powers usually don't bat an eye at black people. It was the early rumblings of Shield, the people who handle all that poo poo and knew better.

All this is moot because the Marvel universe is not our universe, they have actual living gods walking around it, one of whom Marvel made black without even addressing it in Thor, which is part of the same world as Captain America. Maybe racism wasn't that bad because people teamed up together to fight space monsters early on, who knows, the movie didn't cover it. It also didn't bother to explain evolution, religion or if they are as upset about the ending to LOST as we had been.

Plus his "diverse" team has basically just stereotypes anyway. The sneaky hand to hand asian, the brave bold drunk Irish man, the uhh, the black black guy? I think they had a Jewish accountant too.

I'm pretty sure this article would have been better if Ralph wrote it, at least he knows something about the source.

Did you see the movie? It was the US Military for the at least half the movie.

Robin is actually quite right about the problems with Captain America. In WWII he was a propaganda tool. In the movie, he remains one. In a world that gives at least lip service to realism America has done no wrong. And in that, Captain America is a propaganda and marketing tool. The movie actually nods towards this by LITERALLY making Captain America a propaganda tool shucking for war bonds.

It's not the greatest work of art ever and doesn't pretend to be, but it misses a key part of the Captain America of the current Marvel universe. The current Captain America is less about national bravado and more about principles. The movie showed none of that aspect of the character, and thus should be criticized as a movie that had a shallow character who ignores the realities of the world in which he inhabits.

I counted two black guys in the Army. The guy who was rescued and a random black guy I saw in the crowd when Cap marched back into camp when he rescued them. Clearly, the army hasn't be desegregated even in this fictional world.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

burmart posted:

Robin is actually quite right about the problems with Captain America. In WWII he was a propaganda tool. In the movie, he remains one. In a world that gives at least lip service to realism America has done no wrong. And in that, Captain America is a propaganda and marketing tool. The movie actually nods towards this by LITERALLY making Captain America a propaganda tool shucking for war bonds.

I'm not sure you saw the movie. Captain America hates just being a propaganda tool, he feels like an idiot doing it - to the point where he fails to show up for an award ceremony in Washington, because he's busy planning an operation with the Howlers in a bunker underneath London. He jumps into the fight despite everyone telling him he can't, and he does it because of the principles he has. If it's not exactly historically accurate, well, what do you expect? It's an action movie based on a super hero. This is like watching Crank and complaining that people's hearts don't work that way, or watching Spider-Man and complaining that it doesn't address gentrification or homelessness in New York City.

But this isn't Cinema Discusso so I'll let it drop. To get back on topic: I dumped my Sirius subscription today. When the woman asked me why, I said it was because Howard Stern wasn't funny anymore. Then I said I was recording the conversation and if she said anything to try and convince me to stay on, I'd post it online and make fun of them. I was on hold for about a minute, then she said my subscription was cancelled, thank you and have a good day.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Let's use the rest of the vacation to talk about our favorite bits and interviews since Howard re-signed. I'll start:

Ok now you go

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

burmart posted:

It's not the greatest work of art ever and doesn't pretend to be, but it misses a key part of the Captain America of the current Marvel universe. The current Captain America is less about national bravado and more about principles. The movie showed none of that aspect of the character, and thus should be criticized as a movie that had a shallow character who ignores the realities of the world in which he inhabits.

I counted two black guys in the Army. The guy who was rescued and a random black guy I saw in the crowd when Cap marched back into camp when he rescued them. Clearly, the army hasn't be desegregated even in this fictional world.

Listen, what do you do for living?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Let's use the rest of the vacation to talk about our favorite bits and interviews since Howard re-signed. I'll start:

Ok now you go

There was something Fred was doing that was kind of funny... can't think of what it was, though.

(I'm being dead serious, here)

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Ok now you go

It was that time Richard and Sal were in the studio and...OH WAIT.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
Remember when Little Lupe came in for the sixth time and said almost the exact same thing she said the last five times? :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
My favorite bit was when they had Lady Gaga in and they all pretended for the next few shows that stupid song about telling your parents you will wear your hair however you like was deep and moving.