Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jp82729
Sep 5, 2003

Hoping they clean that Grey up a bit before launch. The robot body, hand color and the head to torso ratio all seem a bit off.

Other than that, looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

The one that looks a bit suspect to me is the genie. Doesn't the vapor trail near the base look a bit hand-carved? But then, there are so many great details on others, and even on the genie, that the trail seems like an odd thing out, so I suppose maybe it's intentional.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

ireladd posted:

The one that looks a bit suspect to me is the genie. Doesn't the vapor trail near the base look a bit hand-carved? But then, there are so many great details on others, and even on the genie, that the trail seems like an odd thing out, so I suppose maybe it's intentional.

It might very well have been made from a hand carved mold, considering these are very early prototypes

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

It might very well have been made from a hand carved mold, considering these are very early prototypes

Often new parts, especially fig parts, are made on a 3-D printer first and are shown that way as prototypes so that could explain it as well. When the Prince of Persia line was first shown, the ostrich and camel were still like that. Most of the new parts look finished to me, though. Sometimes they make new person/animal parts in a deliberately blocky style to keep them somewhat Lego-y and to mirror older parts like the horse, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I love google translate:

a poster on the Chinese website with the original pics posted:

Section 2 is a popular European country legend
hidden gold goblin
caught him if
he would give you the gold

Also calling the Minotaur a Tauren (translation error or just more exposure in China to WoW than Greek Legends?)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

A Samus minifigure? Too good to be true.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gravity Suit is purple, not pink. :colbert:

Also, Fonzie.

conscript salad
Oct 5, 2005
I am not allowed to post outside of CC or repsnake will hurt me.

Captain Invictus posted:

Gravity Suit is purple, not pink. :colbert:

Super Waffle posted:

...these are very early prototypes

Let us pray.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Has anyone bought the new Naboo Starfighter set? I want it so bad, but the piece count is terrible for the cost.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, Fonzie.
That guy would make the perfect rat-rod speed shop mechanic.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm hoping one day they'll do a terra cotta warrior.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Has anyone bought the new Naboo Starfighter set? I want it so bad, but the piece count is terrible for the cost.

Ouch, 318 parts for $50, and only two minifigs (advertised as 5, but R2D2 doesn't really count and the battle droids sure as hell don't)? SW sets are getting worse pricing all the drat time. LucasFilm needs to back the hell off and allow lower price points, and they'll sell better. Who cares what the minifig secondary market is?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Krazyface posted:

I'm hoping one day they'll do a terra cotta warrior.

Getting 8000 of them would be pretty tough though. I'd love to see an official one too but, while we're waiting, how about custom accessories from Taiwanese customizer Bricktw?

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

On the recent topic of buying Lego, what do you all think is a good price per pound of random Lego, assuming you know nothing about what's in it?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Getting 8000 of them would be pretty tough though. I'd love to see an official one too but, while we're waiting, how about custom accessories from Taiwanese customizer Bricktw?

I mean, drat. How does one just decide to start doing this sort of thing?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Torael_7 posted:

On the recent topic of buying Lego, what do you all think is a good price per pound of random Lego, assuming you know nothing about what's in it?

Hard to say, if you know absolutely nothing about it. Especially if you can't be sure there are no clone brands in it. The $10/pound 'going rate' seems high for something sight-unseen.
If you're at a specialty store and can actually pick your pound of Lego out of the bin, or it's a well-sorted AFOL collection, probably $15/pound. If you're buying a bulk lot and know it's from mostly old sets (1980s, early 90s), $12-15. A bulk lot that has a suspicious amount of plain bricks (like they'd added a bunch for filler), probably no more than $5.
I see a lot of bulk lots offered for $4-10/pound on Craigslist; the $10/pound ones seem to stick around longer and get reposted.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Very helpful, thanks. I've actually been looking at craigslist/eBay/etc in my quest to rebuild my collection, and bulk bricks is one means.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

I'm looking to create a cg render of some bricks for a printed page cover. What's the best (and easiest) way to get good looking, high resolution results (preferably something that is as photo realistic as possible)? I like the look of these bricks.

My model is really simple and just contains black and red standard bricks.

I've installed the LDraw All-In-One-Installer 2011-01 which looks like it contains just about everything needed including the LGEO stuff.

It comes with Pov-ray, but I can't get something nice and big out of it. The shadows are very harsh and all over the place. I'd like to remove the background and any shadows cast on it.

Where can I find a good tutorial? Everything seems very out of date and badly documented.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, Fonzie.

Fonzie is so 60's, this is the modern era. Tunnel Snakes rule!

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I've spent $350 the past two days restarting my collection.

Self control can be a hard thing...

Yalloglanchie
Jul 19, 2009

nose to anus
Space Girl :swoon: I'm loving everything about this minifig.

The robot alien looks like poo poo though. Is it an alien or a robot?? It can't be both!!!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Yalloglanchie posted:

Space Girl :swoon: I'm loving everything about this minifig.

The robot alien looks like poo poo though. Is it an alien or a robot?? It can't be both!!!

Sure it can! There's even an alien android minifig in the Alien Conquest series.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Shuppiluliumas posted:

My goal of recreating Knights of Cydonia in Lego form is one step closer to reality. I'm digging the smirk and eighties hair.

drivel
Feb 24, 2005
Drivel is what comes forth from your mouth why don't you SHUT THE FUCK UP,Mods?

Nap Ghost
I'm looking to buy one or two big lego sets for the 'kids' for xmas. I'm currently looking at two of the modular buildings, maybe the Grand Emporium and the Pet Shop or the Fire Brigade.

Anyone know of a better deal than buying them straight off lego.com at $150 each?

I'm getting them shipped to the US and then taking them home on a plane to Australia as the aussie prices are retarded.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Put that space girl head and hair on a red dress Lego body and bam, you've got yourself a Cylon.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

drivel posted:

I'm looking to buy one or two big lego sets for the 'kids' for xmas. I'm currently looking at two of the modular buildings, maybe the Grand Emporium and the Pet Shop or the Fire Brigade.

Anyone know of a better deal than buying them straight off lego.com at $150 each?

I'm getting them shipped to the US and then taking them home on a plane to Australia as the aussie prices are retarded.

I don't think you have many other choices but I'd be interested to hear about them if there are any.

I'm trying to get Lego to Argentina and the only sane way apart from stuffing friends' suitcases when they travel abroad is buying through Bricklink.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Captain Invictus posted:

Put that space girl head and hair on a red dress Lego body and bam, you've got yourself a Cylon.

Oh wow, nice call.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Captain Invictus posted:

I was thinking of other stuff you could do and then realised it's only really the hair that matters and something like the previously released lifesaver would probably work just as well. The face isn't a particular gender.

I like the flight suit though. The pink is kind of dumb, but fun in a retro way (and goes with the Farah Fawcett hair). Do other figures have a similar flight-suit design in another colour?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Gravy Jones posted:

I was thinking of other stuff you could do and then realised it's only really the hair that matters and something like the previously released lifesaver would probably work just as well. The face isn't a particular gender.

I like the flight suit though. The pink is kind of dumb, but fun in a retro way (and goes with the Farah Fawcett hair). Do other figures have a similar flight-suit design in another colour?

Spaceman from Series 1:

Cyborg from Series 3:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The original space bad rear end. Spyrius was the poo poo

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The original space bad rear end. Spyrius was the poo poo

Pffff...whatever. :rolleyes: Blacktron 1 came first:

Blacktron 2 never happened.

Then came this dude with Space Police 3, which got me all excited for a new Blacktron line:

I love this minifig.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Sexual Lorax posted:

Spaceman from Series 1:

Cyborg from Series 3:

And outside of the collectable figures, Space Police 3 and the guys in blue from Alien Conquest.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Flavor Bear posted:

And outside of the collectable figures, Space Police 3 and the guys in blue from Alien Conquest.

Good call.

Unrelated, while looking up the other stuff, I came across these guys. Custom weapons aside, it's pretty badass:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Flavor Bear posted:

Ahaha, that guy has the greatest LEGO faces of all time :haw:

Sexual Lorax posted:

God drat, that's awesome.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

drivel posted:

If you notice it early, whenever Toys R Us does their buy one, get one 50% off deal, that is where I managed to pickup two Tower Bridges (sold the second one for retail price) and got a train + Grand Emporium, saving me tons of money. But generally when the sale is on, you only have half a day on the first day to place the order before it goes out of stock online.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Buying Lego on EBay is annoying, unless you know exactly what you're after. Ty to search and trawl for deals and you just get overloaded. :toot:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sexual Lorax posted:

:haw:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I took down my Galactic Enforcer from on top of my bookcase where it's been sitting for the last 6 months.

[a] That fucker's heavy.
[b] It's SO swooshable!
[3] There's so many awesome little parts on it. I'm breaking it down to take back to the UK with me, and I'm really looking forward to seeing all the components. It's like I'm discovering it all over again.
[iv] If there's one niggle, it's that back plate ramp thing. It's so plain compared to the rest of the ship. It's just a flat black plate and that feels kinda... eh. I might have to greeble it up or something.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

Gravy Jones posted:

My goal of recreating Knights of Cydonia in Lego form is one step closer to reality. I'm digging the smirk and eighties hair.

Seriously, wanna put that hair on a male figs head and do a 'Twisted Sister on Neptunes Moon' diorama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

boner meter posted:

Seriously, wanna put that hair on a male figs head and do a 'Twisted Sister on Neptunes Moon' diorama.

A little something like this?