Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Deus Ex is the only thing close to it. I don't understand why there can't be more games like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Litch991 posted:

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines - is there any other game out there that reminds you of this game in story quality and presentation with not as many bugs?

If you like Bloodlines then Troika's other classic Arcanum' is surely a good bet? It's a similar setting and tone and it's just as open ended. And, well, it also had a few bugs! But I think they might have been squashed in patches by now.

It's only $5.99 on GoG which is pretty much daylight robbery.

Other than that, Deus Ex 3 is only a few weeks away.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What's the current market on real-time strategy? I recently picked up Company of Heroes and got me a hankering for a good non-standard strategy game again. I enjoyed the general gameplay of grabbing and holding territory through squad-based tactical combat, but thought the complete lack of defensive options and any sort of unit variety was kind of a turn-off. Has there been anything else in that vein recently that isn't Dawn of War? There have to be SOME recent RTS titles that aren't based around APM and giant globs of units.

Red Octopus!!
Oct 27, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I was thinking about getting Chrono Trigger for the DS since I never had a SNES, but I'm always concerned that if I buy a big-name RPG, it'll be a long slog through a nigh-incomprehensible plot and griding against low-level baddies. This is also why I've never bought FF6 for the GBA. I like CT's designs, though, so I was wondering if it's only good if you're the type who has waaay too much time on their hands or if it's a relatively basic/short game compared to say, WoW. Same with FF6 Advance.

I also was considering Astro Boy: Omega Factor for the GBA. I dunno if it was just me, but I heard this game got pretty decent reviews for a franchise tie-in, as did the PS2 game that came out around the same time, I think. I'm a bit of a Tezuka fan so I figured I'd ask.

Finally, I really like games with easter eggs, so when it comes fo the Metal Gear Solid series, should I just get Twin Snakes for the GC, and then MGS2 and 3 for PS2? And for those latter two, can you tell me more about the versions that have a subtitle to it? Like "Substenence", "Snake Eater", "Sons of Liberty", etc?

strifetoe
Nov 27, 2007
Chrono Trigger is like the biggest slam-dunk-go-buy-it-right-now-are-you-retarded game ever created. It has undoubtedly stood the test of time(no pun intended).
FF6 is a fun game and some people consider it better than CT, but its no where near as focused in the plot and battle mechanics department as CT can be.

IMO opinion of course you sperglords.

Can someone recommend me a game like Might and Magic 6 - 8 that isn't Wizardry 8?

I've been looking for a replacement CRPG for years. I've beaten those three games countless times. I however, hate the ridiculous difficulty of Wiz 8's paths... and I can't stand gothic and some of the older CRPGs are just an abortion. I've of course played The elder scrolls games and they are fine and dandy... but to me, the ability to explore, train skills, find phat lewt, and exploit the system while creating the ultimate party... Might and Magic can't be beat.

strifetoe fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 27, 2011

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Red Octopus!! posted:

I was thinking about getting Chrono Trigger for the DS since I never had a SNES, but I'm always concerned that if I buy a big-name RPG, it'll be a long slog through a nigh-incomprehensible plot and griding against low-level baddies. This is also why I've never bought FF6 for the GBA. I like CT's designs, though, so I was wondering if it's only good if you're the type who has waaay too much time on their hands or if it's a relatively basic/short game compared to say, WoW. Same with FF6 Advance.

I also was considering Astro Boy: Omega Factor for the GBA. I dunno if it was just me, but I heard this game got pretty decent reviews for a franchise tie-in, as did the PS2 game that came out around the same time, I think. I'm a bit of a Tezuka fan so I figured I'd ask.

Chrono Trigger can be completely beaten much more quickly than FF6, and I don't think you ever have to grind in that game. Get it, you'll love it.

Astro Boy for GBA even moreso. Yes, the console game sucked, but that is probably one of the top 3 GBA games I've played. There is so much to do, even after you beat the (incredibly good) game.

Not sure about the other question. :)

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I played the DS re-release of Front Mission a while back. Anyway, the other day I saw that Front Mission: Evolved was now a 3rd person shooter? Ugh. Well, now I got some questions:

1) is Front Mission: Evolved any good? I'm big on games like Battlefield and Armored Core, so if this is kind of like a happy medium of the two, that'd be pretty cool.

2) What would you guys say is the best Front Mission game? I really like the whole giant robot building meets tactical rpg game that this series used to bring to the table.

3) Are there any other good Giant Robot Tactical Rpg's our there?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I'm looking for a game I can play while listening to audiobooks - meaning that it doesn't make me stop and read something (my brain can't handle reading/listening to words at the same time).

Minecraft and Peggle/(other popcap games too) were my goto games but I'm tired of them and wondering if there is anything else out there.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

bigperm posted:

I'm looking for a game I can play while listening to audiobooks - meaning that it doesn't make me stop and read something (my brain can't handle reading/listening to words at the same time).

Minecraft and Peggle/(other popcap games too) were my goto games but I'm tired of them and wondering if there is anything else out there.

Faerie solitaire is on steam for $1.70 for the next 8 minutes. gogogo

modig
Aug 20, 2002

bigperm posted:

One of my best gaming experiences was Super Mario World + America the Book the Audio Book. So I recommend that, but I think any solid platformer should do. I think you want to avoid puzzler platformers, and with SMW it helped that it was like m 3rd (ever, not in a row) playthrough so I didn't have to think too hard about how to solve levels. Mostly just run and jump.

modig fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 29, 2011

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I do it while i'm playing open-world games - just like blowing poo poo up in JC2 or doing side missions in Assassin's Creed. Anything where you have to run around a lot

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

"Its a Strange World...Let's keep it that way."

Blackula69 posted:

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I do it while i'm playing open-world games - just like blowing poo poo up in JC2 or doing side missions in Assassin's Creed. Anything where you have to run around a lot

I just finished Saint's Row 2, and it surprised hell out of me. Sure, it's is a basically GTA turned up to 11, but that last notch on the dial is filled with humor and that makes all the difference in the world.

IE: I picked a female for my character, but gave her the male British voice. So, for the whole of my game, I was basically playing a trans-gendered Michael Caine. I thought the joke would get old. It didn't.

Prototype is also pretty good for a more action/gore-centric type of open-world game. But, the game suffers from bad difficulty ramping. Basically each fight is pretty much "Just add 1-3 more of X new enemy type you've encountered" until you're fighting of 5 tanks, 4 helicopters and 3 giant hulk monster things. Fun, if you like it, but it can get old.

Crackdown 1 (Don't ever touch 2) is also pretty awesome, and puts you in the role of a good guy for once. You basically play a supercop that levels up as you do stuff in the game until you can jump over buildings and run faster than cars and punch people across the map.

Acid_Burn
Nov 20, 2008
I played Amnesia and I can agree that it's the scariest game I've ever played. A game hadn't made me jump since I played Thief 1 and tripped over a zombie I thought I'd killed an hour before. Any other games like that? older is better because I have a crappy computer that cant handle most mainstream releases from the past couple years.

I'm also looking for an online RPG along the lines of NWN1 or Diablo2, just something hack and slash with a strong online presence that's not an MMO.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Acid_Burn posted:

I played Amnesia and I can agree that it's the scariest game I've ever played. A game hadn't made me jump since I played Thief 1 and tripped over a zombie I thought I'd killed an hour before. Any other games like that? older is better because I have a crappy computer that cant handle most mainstream releases from the past couple years.

I'm also looking for an online RPG along the lines of NWN1 or Diablo2, just something hack and slash with a strong online presence that's not an MMO.

You could try the Penumbra series which is by the same developers (Frictional Games or something like that), its pretty much an older version of Amnesia with a different plot of course. I haven't played any myself so I can't tell you which one to get or how good they are, but I have heard good things of them from my friends.

As for my own request, are there any games like Fire Emblem I could try that are not FFT or Tactics Ogre, I've been itching for a playthrough again, but I must've played through each of the GBA games at least twice now.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

AtillatheBum posted:

As for my own request, are there any games like Fire Emblem I could try that are not FFT or Tactics Ogre, I've been itching for a playthrough again, but I must've played through each of the GBA games at least twice now.

Devil Survivor was mentioned recently in the thread, it's definitely worth a look.

Jeanne D'Arc is pretty good if you have a PSP and don't object to insane interpretations of historical characters.

Shining Force is one of the forerunners of the genre, and there was a slightly-odd-but-not-terrible remake of it for the GBA. It's not as complex as the Fire Emblem / Tactics Ogre games, though.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
I haven't played a management sim in ages, but from what I've seen, the scene is like the modern equivalent of shareware. Have there been any truly good games (Rollercoaster Tycoon is an example) released in the last five years? City sims and other sims don't count.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

If by management you mean business sim/strategy, not that I've been able to discover myself. There are a lot of trashy -tycoon games which all boil down to the same thing, with the plasticky graphics and barely any spreadsheety maths running underneath the drag and drop building layout design. My warning lights usually go off the minute I see those kind of graphical front ends, because you know that they're relying on looking good in videos and box art for people who aren't really into the hardcore day to day business stuff.

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."

doctor iono posted:

I haven't played a management sim in ages, but from what I've seen, the scene is like the modern equivalent of shareware. Have there been any truly good games (Rollercoaster Tycoon is an example) released in the last five years? City sims and other sims don't count.

The best I can think of is OpenTTD I guess. Look into it if you don't already play :)

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Harmonica posted:

If by management you mean business sim/strategy, not that I've been able to discover myself. There are a lot of trashy -tycoon games which all boil down to the same thing, with the plasticky graphics and barely any spreadsheety maths running underneath the drag and drop building layout design. My warning lights usually go off the minute I see those kind of graphical front ends, because you know that they're relying on looking good in videos and box art for people who aren't really into the hardcore day to day business stuff.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was afraid had happened to the genre. :(

Epileptic Nazi posted:

The best I can think of is OpenTTD I guess. Look into it if you don't already play :)

I've actually been meaning to try OpenTTD, totally forgot about it. Thanks!

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Kontradaz posted:

I played the Uncharted 1 demo. It was disappointing. It's like Tomb Raider but in a bland and generic jungle place with really boring enemies and lack of interesting puzzles. I'd much rather plop down and finish those Tomb Raider games that I've been putting off.

I don't think the demo was very representative of the entire game as a whole. You really need to play it from the beginning and get the whole story and learn the relationships between the characters to appreciate a scene from the middle of the game. The dialogue and voice-acting are some of the best I've ever heard in a game, and the puzzles are more interesting and more fun than Tomb Raider, and the story is like an Indiana Jones movie. On that note, I will concede this point:

savetheclocktower posted:

Skip Uncharted 1 if you have to; it's above-average, but it isn't essential.

Uncharted 2 is essential. It's one of the best games I've ever played.

The sequel was leaps and bounds better than the first one, in terms of gameplay. The story was pretty much in the same vein, and the original voice actors are all back, plus some new ones (all still very good), the dialogue is still very well-written and the puzzles and environments are much better the second time around. The combat was improved, too. Really, the second one is a much better game, and while you don't have to have played the first one to understand what's what and who's who, I still highly recommend it.

And the third installment will be out very soon!

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any shooting (FPS preferred but 3rd person is OK) games for the PC where you can upgrade you guns and become incredibly powerful?

I'm thinking of something like Ratchet and Clank, but for the PC.

Although, any type of shooter where you upgrade your weapons and equipment also sounds really good. (I've already played Borderlands, but it had TOO MANY weapons for my taste; I'd like a couple of choices but not a thousand)

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Final Fantasy Tactics is probably my favorite game ever. I also liked the two handheld sequels. Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, and Tactics Ogre were decent, but not great. What else is there? I'm so bored on train rides.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

joshtothemaxx posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is probably my favorite game ever. I also liked the two handheld sequels. Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, and Tactics Ogre were decent, but not great. What else is there? I'm so bored on train rides.

If you have a PSP, Jeanne d'Arc is supposed to be top-notch.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

joshtothemaxx posted:

I liked Devil Survivor for the DS.

edit:

VVVVV That would be neat! I think WoW is more about making potions, and it isn't extremely interesting (obviously) once you get the recipes. I can think of some game with reagents, but nothing that seems to fit exactly what you are describing. I hope someone else can, though.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 3, 2011

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
So here's kind of an odd request. Can anybody recommend me a wizard simulator? Back a few years ago, when I logged like 200 hours on Morrowind, I spent the bulk of that time doing stuff like collecting books for my hermit shack, gathering wild ingredients, enchanting poo poo, and brewing potions. Is there a game that focuses on that sort of thing? I guess like The Sims but in first person and with a fantasy theme.

I guess that's kind of how some people spend their time in WoW, but for some reason I can't really stay interested in MMOs...

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
My friends and I get together regularly to play scary games, and we just finished Silent Hill 2 so we're looking for a new game to play. We have pretty much every console available to us as well as a PC which we've used in the past for horror adventure games.

Ideally the game would be something that has good spooky atmosphere, maybe some jump scares thrown in, and a decent amount of puzzles that require thought or insight to solve rather than just having to randomly combine items until something works. Monsters and combat are optional.

The Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and Resident Evil games are all already on the table so I don't need recommendations for those. Other games that have either already been played or are already under consideration:

Amnesia
Dead Space
Scratches (PC adventure game, turned out great)
Obscure (crap)
Echo Night: Beyond (actually very good for a bargain title, very scary if you can get past the controls)
Clock Tower 3 (tense at times but crap ending)

I'm kind of itching for a good point and click adventure game and it's hard to judge those because there's a lot of crap out there, so recommendations for those are particularly welcome.

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 3, 2011

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
Amnesia. Amnesia Amnesia Amnesia. Not only the scariest game I've ever played, but nearly exactly what you're looking for. A definite focus on the spooky atmosphere, occasional jump scares, decent puzzles. Check out the thread.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Whoops, sorry, already did Amnesia :( I added it to the list. I agree it was amazingly scary and it was a huge hit. How are the Penumbra games?

One of the problems is that some of the people who come over get motion sick with fast moving cameras, which is why I thought point and click might be good, with the mostly static scenes.

Here are a couple point and click games we're considering, if anyone has input on them:

Dark Fall: The Journal
The Black Mirror
The Lost Crown
Last Half of Darkness: Beyond the Spirit’s Eye

Ideally we'd like to play games that will scare us, not just have a horror theme. Sanitarium failed on this count. It was kinda creepy and disturbing, but just that, not scary at all really. Also, while reading is not a problem usually, too much of it can drag on with a group in a way it wouldn't while playing alone. Scratches was bad like that in a few places, with a lot of reading.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

gos_jim posted:

Whoops, sorry, already did Amnesia :( I added it to the list. I agree it was amazingly scary and it was a huge hit. How are the Penumbra games?

Eh, they're pretty good. Frictional Games' entire "horror style" has definitely peaked in Amnesia, though, so I personally wouldn't say go back and play them now.

I haven't played them myself, but have you tried the Fatal Frame series? From what I've seen of them, they're really fun as a group horror experience.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

gos_jim posted:

Dark Fall: The Journal

This is very slow, has a lot of text, and generally would not be fun at all to play with other people.

If emulated SNES games would be acceptable, you should check out the original Clock Tower. It's a very good little point & click (and waaay better than Clock Tower 3), and pretty much as scary as you can get on a 16-bit system.

Also I unironically consider King's Quest III the scariest game I have ever played, and there's a free point & click fan remake. Basically you're the slave of an evil wizard and for a large part of the game you have to conduct your investigation while he is asleep or away on a journey, never sure exactly when he will wake up/return. And even if you're around when you should be, if he notices anything amiss, he'll know you've been up to something and kill you anyway. It's an extremely nerve-wracking, paranoia-inducing game in a cute fairy tale fantasy world.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 3, 2011

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

The weird russian game....

fake edit: remembered, Pathologic. Look up the RPS article on it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Quote is not and has never been edit.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blackula69 posted:

The weird russian game....

fake edit: remembered, Pathologic. Look up the RPS article on it.

I don't know if Pathologic is so much scary as it is depressing, but it's certainly an experience. The translation is a bit shoddy and the official translation patch has kind of been hanging in limbo for a while, but the starting two campaign options are both coherent enough that you can at least get the gist of it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

gos_jim posted:

My friends and I get together regularly to play scary games, and we just finished Silent Hill 2 so we're looking for a new game to play. We have pretty much every console available to us as well as a PC which we've used in the past for horror adventure games.

Have you played Call of Cthulhu? It's a bit clunky but I think if you enjoyed Scratches you would definitely be able to look past its flaws.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 3, 2011

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Thanks for the tip on Dark Fall, I think The Lost Crown is made by the same guy so will probably steer clear of both. Will definitely consider Clock Tower, I have always wanted to play it but just never got to it. King's Quest III I'm not sure of, aren't those games (King's Quest) kind of prickish with screwing over the player because of missing little things and making them start over? I feel like the trial-and-error style of gameplay I've heard they're kind of infamous for would not be very good for a group atmosphere.

I have heard of Pathologic and how depressing it is but never played it, will take a look, thanks.

I have also played CoC, provided you're referring to Dark Corners of the Earth. Not with this group, but on my own years ago. I enjoyed it until the Feds got involved and it seemed to devolve into a bunch of clunky gun fights and kind of lost interest. Also I think the first person woozy perspective would quite possibly make at least one of my friends literally vomit.

I've also played Condemned, FEAR, and The Suffering so those are out, in case anyone was going to suggest them. Thinking of CoC reminded me because I played them all around the same time.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

BusError posted:

So here's kind of an odd request. Can anybody recommend me a wizard simulator? Back a few years ago, when I logged like 200 hours on Morrowind, I spent the bulk of that time doing stuff like collecting books for my hermit shack, gathering wild ingredients, enchanting poo poo, and brewing potions. Is there a game that focuses on that sort of thing? I guess like The Sims but in first person and with a fantasy theme.

I guess that's kind of how some people spend their time in WoW, but for some reason I can't really stay interested in MMOs...

I realize you said no mmos but I would like to recommend checking EQ2 out. You can be a wizard. There is player housing so you can collect (in game and player written) books to put in your hermit shack (that you can break out of and have entire zones to decorate).

In addition per your other requests - crafting in EQ2 is very diverse and you can be an alchemist and make potions (and poisons!) and a transmuter (to break gear down) and adorner (to make adornments to gear) and harvest anything in game. Tradeskilling has it's own quests and two epics.

If you post your email in this thread someone will send you a recruit a friend, a 14 day trial OR there is a f2p version of EQ2 that you could play as well.

twitch and spasm
Jul 21, 2010

gos_jim posted:

Thanks for the tip on Dark Fall, I think The Lost Crown is made by the same guy so will probably steer clear of both. Will definitely consider Clock Tower, I have always wanted to play it but just never got to it. King's Quest III I'm not sure of, aren't those games (King's Quest) kind of prickish with screwing over the player because of missing little things and making them start over? I feel like the trial-and-error style of gameplay I've heard they're kind of infamous for would not be very good for a group atmosphere.

I have heard of Pathologic and how depressing it is but never played it, will take a look, thanks.

I have also played CoC, provided you're referring to Dark Corners of the Earth. Not with this group, but on my own years ago. I enjoyed it until the Feds got involved and it seemed to devolve into a bunch of clunky gun fights and kind of lost interest. Also I think the first person woozy perspective would quite possibly make at least one of my friends literally vomit.

I've also played Condemned, FEAR, and The Suffering so those are out, in case anyone was going to suggest them. Thinking of CoC reminded me because I played them all around the same time.

I would recommend System shock 2 I can't believe it hasn't been recommended yet.

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

bigperm posted:

I realize you said no mmos but I would like to recommend checking EQ2 out. You can be a wizard. There is player housing so you can collect (in game and player written) books to put in your hermit shack (that you can break out of and have entire zones to decorate).

In addition per your other requests - crafting in EQ2 is very diverse and you can be an alchemist and make potions (and poisons!) and a transmuter (to break gear down) and adorner (to make adornments to gear) and harvest anything in game. Tradeskilling has it's own quests and two epics.

If you post your email in this thread someone will send you a recruit a friend, a 14 day trial OR there is a f2p version of EQ2 that you could play as well.

Hmm, well, that definitely sounds like what I'm looking for. I played EQ2 for a while several years ago, but it looks like they've changed it quite a bit since then. I'll check it out. Thanks!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I'm looking for a game with a dynamic campaign like Combat Flight Simulator 3. Something with a huge theater map where battles are fought all long the front to inch it forward.

I've played the close combat games and especially liked the upgrade to CC3 (Iron Cross maybe?) which gives it a much larger campaign map than 4 or 5, but I'm looking for something that has AI on both sides moving the front as well, and also a focus on individual or small group combat instead of the 100+ vs 100+ battles of the Close Combat series.

Basically I want a giant, pretty map with the feeling that I'm a very small (but important) cog in a very large and long war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

You've inspired me to dig out the Close Combat games because I haven't played them for years.

edit: okay, having spent the last two hours reading up on the series and not really reaching an answer I should probably ask you all properly: what's the current latest, greatest or fan-favourite version of Close Combat? (no thread on the forums :( ) The last time I played it properly was around 10 years ago with CCIII, but there's been numerous releases since then and the series has changed hands a lot.

Is it Last Stand Arnhem with Matrix' latest megaupdate?.

The system specs seem to still be incredibly low, is that correct? I don't want to buy it and then find out it performs horribly unless you have a new system (mine is a few years old).

BAD POSTING AHEAD posted:

Basically I want a giant, pretty map with the feeling that I'm a very small (but important) cog in a very large and long war.

Operation Flashpoint will give you that small cog in a big machine feeling, though the campaign isn't dynamic (as far as I can remember). I haven't played ARMA 2 so I don't know if they changed that, though I imagine if you PC can handle it would be the best game nowadays. Both games have vast environments.

Silent Hunter III, with Grey Wolves 3 mod, SH3 Commander and SH3 Gen, offers the same 'small boat in a big ocean' sensation and is very atmospheric and realistic (as in, you can plot torpedo solutions using rulers and stopwatches). There's a somewhat dynamic campaign if you use those mods (and you should, the vanilla retail game is broken), but ultimately you will always lose the war because it's a historical game, and no one sub can change the outcome - though you can have campaigns where you're holding out versus a tide of allied forces, and the better you do as a commander the better your boat/crew (again: with mods). Here's a smaller list of patches/mods I think are essential, GWX is Grey Wolves stuff (though you can add a dozen more to that), the rest are mostly tweaks to make it all more fun.

Sci-fi wise, Space Rangers II has a truly dynamic universe where the war tips one way and then the other and you can influence events yourselves by fighting in battles, or supporting one side (or playing them both off each other). It's possible for either side to conquer the other, or just oppress them and dominate the galaxy.

X3: TC with certain mods will give you the same thing, a galaxy being fought over and territory changing hands, and it's certainly absolutely massive.

It might also be worth checking out Jagged Alliance 2 if you've not played it, since it's similar to Close Combat but the campaign is dynamic (and it's brilliant). There's also Mount & Blade Warband which fits some of your description, even if it's not that pretty unless you run new mods on a beefy system.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 7, 2011