Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I dunno if it was actually midnight or if it's a specific day, but you have to be good buds with him and it has to be after dark in the town square (and playing as Kyle obviously). He's just hanging out there with his cocoa. Kyle asks him what up, and Max gives you an informative lecture about his "hot milk drink" that his family invented or something. And it tastes bad but when you mix it with milk "a wonderful chemistry takes place" and it tastes really great and he drinks it every night and "Kyle! :mad: Don't you think our friendship is JUST like the chemistry that occurs in my hot milk drink?"
kyle: :sweatdrop:

I think he then lets you have some so you can drink to the chemistry of your amazing friendship.

fake e: I found a page with a coupla Max quotes.

"I really really hate WEEDS. They're so persistent! And they get everywhere! And they're so... so... ugly! Ugh, i find them deeply disturbing."

"FLUFFY SCARF is so enchanting the way it’s so fluffy. I just love this. Well, just a little background knowledge you should remember."

Max: I really like PROOF OF WARRIOR. I can’t really say why aloud. If you want to know, lend me your ear.
Kyle: Okay, go ahead. <I can’t wait to hear>
Max: *whisper* The reason I like it is…
*whisper* a secret.

Who remembers, "Now give me 20 tomatoes and you can marry my sister"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Max's pecularities are even better than some of the stuff Pia says in RF3.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
This has probably been tossed around several times in the thread, but I can't actually recommend Frontier to anyone in good faith and urge you to instead just buy Rune Factory 3. As much as I love HM and have been playing for many years of my life, Frontier makes it really hard to enjoy the game with micromanaging Runeys being so important. Rune Factory 3 is definitely the way to go, and I am on the edge of my seat for OceansTides of Destiny. My only gripe with RF3 is that nearly all of the marriage options have really awful personality quirks.

Though in Frontier, if you were to grow your bouquet as early as possible before your Runeys start to cannibalize themselves and force your crops into decay, I guess you could ignore farming entirely and it would be a complete non-issue. Then it just becomes a monster raising sim instead of a farming sim. :v:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Emalde posted:

Though in Frontier, if you were to grow your bouquet as early as possible before your Runeys start to cannibalize themselves and force your crops into decay, I guess you could ignore farming entirely and it would be a complete non-issue. Then it just becomes a monster raising sim instead of a farming sim. :v:

This is exactly what I did. gently caress Runeys.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Decided to get Rune Factory 3 based on your guys recommendations and it's probably the first Harvest Moon where I've cared enough to want to get to know all the villagers. They're all so insane I love it. Haven't been doing much farming though because I've been having more fun killing stuff in the forest haha.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
Years ago I enjoyed playing some Harvest Moon game. I have no idea which one it was. I'm about to start this Sunshine Islands one now. Is it any good?
What's the acclaimed/popular game of the series?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Mountaineer posted:

This is exactly what I did. gently caress Runeys.

The only way I'd ever play that game again is if I get the Wii homebrew channel just so I can cheat and max out the drat runies. God I hope they never come back.

And for people looking for recommendations, I suggest hunting down Shepherd's Crossing 2 for the DS if you want to hate yourself and the concept of farming games for awhile :shepicide:

I've played that game so many loving times

And have debated writing a FAQ for it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wandering Knitter posted:

And for people looking for recommendations, I suggest hunting down Shepherd's Crossing 2 for the DS if you want to hate yourself and the concept of farming games for awhile :shepicide:

What does this mean? Is it John Deere DS-bad, or Harvest Moon 64-addicting?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

What does this mean? Is it John Deere DS-bad, or Harvest Moon 64-addicting?

It's a very weird game and I don't like it too much. It's not overtly bad or anything, but mostly boring and devoid of charm. The villagers are boring, there's no real exploration to speak of, and the town is a static map where you select different houses. The farming mechanic is alright, and ranching can be a little fun, but it seems like they throw in too many unnecessary steps (thrashing wheat, for example). It also had its plus sides, but to be honest, I forgot most everything about that game, it's been over a year since I've played it.

edit: It also has a pretty different tone from HM. It seems more focused on survival, at least at the start. You have to prepare yourself for winter, and if you don't store enough food you could starve. You also need fire wood. Another example of the different tones is how you have to personally butcher your animals to prepare them for food.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's a very weird game and I don't like it too much. It's not overtly bad or anything, but mostly boring and devoid of charm. The villagers are boring, there's no real exploration to speak of, and the town is a static map where you select different houses. The farming mechanic is alright, and ranching can be a little fun, but it seems like they throw in too many unnecessary steps (thrashing wheat, for example). It also had its plus sides, but to be honest, I forgot most everything about that game, it's been over a year since I've played it.

edit: It also has a pretty different tone from HM. It seems more focused on survival, at least at the start. You have to prepare yourself for winter, and if you don't store enough food you could starve. You also need fire wood. Another example of the different tones is how you have to personally butcher your animals to prepare them for food.

That sounds like a really interesting concept for a game. All the stuff you mentioned in your edit sounds really cool. Too bad it sounds like they didn't try to give it much personality, though. A lot of the fun of HM is socializing with the townsfolk.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
It's a bit more like a puzzle/time management game than HM. Time only progresses when you perform an action, and you have a limited amount of time each day, so you will end up spacing out your planting a bit to minimise wasted time.

There are marriage candidates for each gender, but you don't have to romance them. Instead, when you cook a meal you will have the option to take it to a villager and share a meal. They each will only accept certain dishes, and will only accept them once, and there isn't really any other way to interact with them so you can go for several years without visiting someone.

There's no relationship system, you can probably marry someone without visiting them at all: you just go to the mayor and ask to get married, and he'll ask for a dowry based on how rich your prospective partner is. Playing as a male looks MUCH easier than playing as a female: I think as a male, you just have to have a herd of <x> sheep, but females have to shear sheep and make bedcovers, which takes a TON of wool. I've been playing my game for about 15 years and don't have enough wool to marry one of the somewhat rich bachelors, so I have no idea what happens after marriage.

I found it pretty enjoyable, I'll still pick it up every now and then and play a few seasons. The animal system is really neat, I think, but is somewhat flawed: if you milk your goats/cows at all, they tend to stop giving out milk entirely and their babies starve to death. Farming! :black101:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

That sounds like a really interesting concept for a game. All the stuff you mentioned in your edit sounds really cool. Too bad it sounds like they didn't try to give it much personality, though. A lot of the fun of HM is socializing with the townsfolk.

There's a pretty good moment early on where a girl gives you a goose to raise then comes by a day or two later and beheads it in front of you and serves you it for dinner. And then she becomes the most boring character, saying the same line every time you visit her. I only got a few years in (time passes more quickly in it than HM) but you never have any meaningful interactions with her or any of the other villagers. Maybe you can marry someone later on, but that wasn't apparent at first.

edit: Hey look at that, thankfully someone who knows more about the game chimed in.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Mediant posted:

Years ago I enjoyed playing some Harvest Moon game. I have no idea which one it was. I'm about to start this Sunshine Islands one now. Is it any good?
That's the one which is an updated version of an earlier game, but is still considered pretty annoying as a result of the way watering and light works on crops. Basically, if they get too much or too little of either, the crop will fail. And you have to jump through a lot of hoops to open up portions of the map or something. Basically I heard goons talk about needing a spreadsheet to keep track of their crop growth and I steered clear.

quote:

Probably Rune Factory 3. It seems to have the most consistent praise, though it's different from the traditional format.

naptalan posted:

if you milk your goats/cows at all, they tend to stop giving out milk entirely and their babies starve to death. Farming! :black101:
What..? You mean like they won't have enough milk left for their offspring or milking actually makes them stop producing over time? Because if the latter, uhhh....

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 3, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Mediant posted:

Answer:

Zenzirouj posted:

Probably Rune Factory 3. It seems to have the most consistent praise, though it's different from the traditional format.

RF3 is a wonderful game. The villagers are endearingly insane, the combat is tight, farming is straight forward and fun. It's the most fun I've had playing a Harvest Moon game to date.

But if you want to restrict it to the core series, check out Harvest Moon 64 or Back to Nature. Even though they're older, I prefer these to the more cutesy direction Harvest Moon has gone in recent iterations.

Let me know how you like SI, because I loving hated that game :)

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Answer:

RF3 is a wonderful game. The villagers are endearingly insane, the combat is tight, farming is straight forward and fun. It's the most fun I've had playing a Harvest Moon game to date.

But if you want to restrict it to the core series, check out Harvest Moon 64 or Back to Nature. Even though they're older, I prefer these to the more cutesy direction Harvest Moon has gone in recent iterations.

Let me know how you like SI, because I loving hated that game :)

I guess I'll try RF3. I played SI for like half and hour and got super bored. And if it's something I'll need spreadsheets for then forget that. I'll try to go track down Back to Nature and RF3.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Mediant posted:

I guess I'll try RF3. I played SI for like half and hour and got super bored. And if it's something I'll need spreadsheets for then forget that. I'll try to go track down Back to Nature and RF3.

The problem with SI is that aforementioned spreadsheet issue with sun/water (and you can't reset to change the weather, it's set a week in advance) and to unlock certain parts of the town, you have to ship certain numbers of items. 30 spring fish to unlock this guy, so forth and so on. Also, you have to talk to everyone, even the no-name people at least once every month or they leave and you have to earn them back. The hunger system is in the game, but because it takes so long to unlock anything that sells food, you basically have to try and eat grasses, crops you grow, or just let yourself starve. There were some good parts, but in got lost in all the crappy gameplay.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Emalde posted:

The runey system was such a terrible, terrible idea in an otherwise good game. I think the only reasons I'd go back to Frontier is to hear a bit more of Mist's ramped up insanity and to go dungeon diving.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Office Thug posted:

The runey system was such a terrible, terrible idea in an otherwise good game. I think the only reasons I'd go back to Frontier is to hear a bit more of Mist's ramped up insanity and to go dungeon diving.

I didn't think the runey system was that bad, but again, only if you know how to farm them, and it was a bit of a hassle. I think it was a good concept on paper, but it didn't work well in practice if you didn't look at a walkthrough and set up farms to be able to balance it all out properly. It would be better though if they could refine it to allow for stable populations at some point.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Office Thug posted:

I've never played RFF. Can you elaborate on how they crazyed yp Mist?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Palleon posted:

I didn't think the runey system was that bad, but again, only if you know how to farm them, and it was a bit of a hassle. I think it was a good concept on paper, but it didn't work well in practice if you didn't look at a walkthrough and set up farms to be able to balance it all out properly. It would be better though if they could refine it to allow for stable populations at some point.

The ability to just move runeys without using that god awful vacuum cleaner would have made things much more bearable. Then you could have just spent a measly 5 minutes each day balancing out all the areas and keeping any excess runeys in your pockets, all without literally resorting to a spreadsheet to keep track of the numbers.

I've never played RFF. Can you elaborate on how they crazyed yp Mist?

"Tomorrow's the boat race festival. You race in boats!"

*Whilst looking around in your new house*
Raguna:"Huh a guide on growing turnips?"
Mist:"I WONDER WHO PUT THAT THERE MUST HAVE BEEN A SMART PERSON"

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Will Tale of Two Towns have a lazy translation or the same translators as RF2/3? Or just totally different developers?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Star Guarded posted:

Will Tale of Two Towns have a lazy translation or the same translators as RF2/3? Or just totally different developers?

I assumed they always had Marvelous Entertainment, which I thought they used to localize every Harvest Moon game?

Also, ToTT is apparently set to release next month.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The DS version, yes. The 3DS version still doesn't have a release date. And even though I would love to have more than one game for my 3DS, honestly I see no reason to wait for it. It'll probably just be 3D-enhanced and cost 5 or 10 dollars more.

fake edit: While writing this post I went and looked up the version differences, and yeah they're pretty underwhelming.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

The DS version, yes. The 3DS version still doesn't have a release date. And even though I would love to have more than one game for my 3DS, honestly I see no reason to wait for it. It'll probably just be 3D-enhanced and cost 5 or 10 dollars more.

fake edit: While writing this post I went and looked up the version differences, and yeah they're pretty underwhelming.

quote:

The 3DS Version Has an Extra Petting Mini Game

Sounds like a pretty big difference to me.

I will probably purchase it just to have a 3DS game, unless it comes out way later.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I assumed they always had Marvelous Entertainment, which I thought they used to localize every Harvest Moon game?

Also, ToTT is apparently set to release next month.

I wouldn't count on it coming out next month, Natsume always pushes things back at least once.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...
I started playing Rune Factory 3. I feel like an idiot though, because I can't figure out how to put things in the shipping box. What am I missing?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Mediant posted:

I started playing Rune Factory 3. I feel like an idiot though, because I can't figure out how to put things in the shipping box. What am I missing?

Set them as your held item and then throw them at it.

Mediant
Dec 23, 2010

In Brightest Day...
In Dankest Night...

Emalde posted:

Set them as your held item and then throw them at it.

Oh. Of course! Throw my crops at the box. :suicide: Thanks RF.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Mediant posted:

Oh. Of course! Throw my crops at the box. :suicide: Thanks RF.
Well, you don't have to throw them at the box, you can just walk up to it and plunk the item down into it. This is also how you give stuff to people, as well. But really, why wouldn't you chuck 'em at the shipping box? "YO KARINA, THINK FAST!" *BAM*

Also, I have almost teched up all the seeds to level 10, thus assuring Sharance is the undisputed leader in quality seed-stock.

My god, I'm becoming a nutter, just like them... :tinfoil:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tupperwarez posted:

My god, I'm becoming a nutter, just like them... :tinfoil:

And isn't it glorious

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Corridor posted:

And isn't it glorious

I'm about to start a replay, so I hope I get there too~!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You don't starve to death. If you run out of firewood or food you're forced to marry a fat chick. :geno:

In other news, where do I have to preorder to guarantee that plushie llama? Because I NEED that llama.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

You don't starve to death. If you run out of firewood or food you're forced to marry a fat chick. :geno:

I'll take death over that.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

In other news, where do I have to preorder to guarantee that plushie llama? Because I NEED that llama.

Gamestop, to get the white plushie llama. We all missed out on the brown one, unless you won that fan contest.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
So during my replay of RF3, I'm falling back in love with this game, even harder than the first time. Sakuya's line about looking being free, but many people purchase things after looking, so she recommends that you do just that is a perfect example of how this game can balance silly without becoming abrasively so.

I laughed for a solid minute when Shara explained where your HP/RP gauges are in the tutorial.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.

Wait what? I'm going to need some explanation here :crossarms: Not that I don't believe you, knowing some of the bizarre leaps of logic that sometimes happen in these games.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Catkin posted:

Wait what? I'm going to need some explanation here :crossarms: Not that I don't believe you, knowing some of the bizarre leaps of logic that sometimes happen in these games.

I'm guessing because of the blubber stores she has shes the only option that could survive a harsh winter :downs:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Fat people ALWAYS have food. I know this because I am a fat people.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
I'm thinking about picking up a harvest moon game, unfortunately the wii is the only console I have available.

Which one should I choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Zosologist posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a harvest moon game, unfortunately the wii is the only console I have available.

Which one should I choose?

Harvest Moon 64. There might have been a Gamecube one that was decent though. I think most of the Wii ones incorporate waggle stuff to them so I wouldn't enjoy them but you might.

• Locked thread