Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Colon Semicolon posted:

I'm really suprised at how little people talk about Gunman Chronicles. That game is in a totally different league all it's own. never have I felt more in control of a gunfight than I did in any other game. why hasn't such powerful customization features been put in other games? it really feels like something entirely unique to it's experience.

I played the hell out of the demo back when it first released, but never bought it. Thanks to this post, I was reminded of a copy tucked away in a CD case full of old games a friend left at my place after a LAN party six years ago. I can't believe how well this game holds up. The pacing and challenge is top notch, and the scripted sequences and environmental hazards rival Half-Life in quality. I just ran into Jim French (Father Grigori, L4D's Bill) voicing a scientist, too. That was a nice surprise.

Like every HL mod/game, the enemies are all largely reskins, but in this it's hardly noticeable. I didn't even realize the big dinosaur was a Tentacle reskin until thinking about it just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

treat posted:

Like every HL mod/game, the enemies are all largely reskins, but in this it's hardly noticeable. I didn't even realize the big dinosaur was a Tentacle reskin until thinking about it just now.

:stare:

Are you sure you were playing Gunman: Chronicles? I can't think of anything in that game that could be considered a reskin.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Thief 1 was ugly yet beautiful in its own way.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

:stare:

Are you sure you were playing Gunman: Chronicles? I can't think of anything in that game that could be considered a reskin.

I used the term loosely since they're actually remodeled and the behavior of most enemies is altered enough to make them unique.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hmm. Doom 2 seems to be picking up a fair bit now that it's out of the terrible city levels. I'm glad I pushed through those. Let's see what's next.
pre:
The Catacombs: finished
Entering: Barrels o'Fun
:wtc:

Edit:

pre:
Entering: The Chasm
:wtc::wtc::wtc:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 3, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ToxicFrog posted:

Hmm. Doom 2 seems to be picking up a fair bit now that it's out of the terrible city levels. I'm glad I pushed through those. Let's see what's next.
pre:
The Catacombs: finished
Entering: Barrels o'Fun
:wtc:

Beautiful (and maybe Brutal) Doom makes Barrels o'Fun an accurate map name. :colbert:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Barrels o' Fun is awesome :colbert:

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Mak0rz posted:

Beautiful (and maybe Brutal) Doom makes Barrels o'Fun an accurate map name. :colbert:

If you want the level to be really fun, you should play it with The Blessed Engine :q:
Speaking of which, I can't seem to get its silly custom death animations to work. Does anybody know how to do that?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

treat posted:

I used the term loosely since they're actually remodeled and the behavior of most enemies is altered enough to make them unique.

You realize that remodeled enemies with new behavior is the exact opposite of a reskin, right?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Alpha3KV posted:

If you want the level to be really fun, you should play it with The Blessed Engine :q:
Speaking of which, I can't seem to get its silly custom death animations to work. Does anybody know how to do that?

I should probably try TBE sometime. I remember reading it back in the day - it's by Doug the Eagle, the same guy as The Hacker's Guide to Sin and similar works for Ultima, Morrowind, Thief, and Arx Fatalis - but I never actually tried it out.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Goddamit, gently caress Alien Vendetta.

The levels are large and beautiful, it plays nice with Brutal Doom, but boy, but it sure tired me out. Having hundreds+ of monsters and killing them all is really fun, but when the some of the maps begins to constantly throw Cyberdemons at you, it really begins to drag out.

gently caress Alien Vendetta.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

HardDisk posted:

The levels are large and beautiful, it plays nice with Brutal Doom, but boy, but it sure tired me out. Having hundreds+ of monsters and killing them all is really fun, but when the some of the maps begins to constantly throw Cyberdemons at you, it really begins to drag out.

Throwing a bunch of cyberdemons at you is like the same level of fun as making you go through most of a level with just the pistol. poo poo ain't fun.

Brutal Doom's pistol replacement is the best thing ever, though, but it's kind of balanced out by the fact that specters are loving terrifying.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Alien Vendetta Map20 is the worst level I've ever played in any "good" Doom WAD, and that includes like, all of Eternal Doom and TNT

e: actually, it might be Z1M3 from KDIZD. Don't really want to double check, though

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 3, 2011

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Alien Vendetta Map20 is the worst level I've ever played in any "good" Doom WAD, and that includes like, all of Eternal Doom and TNT

e: actually, it might be Z1M3 from KDIZD. Don't really want to double check, though

Between any map that I've played from AVpretty much any wad and any map from KDiZD, I'd say that the worst is the one from KDiZD.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

HardDisk posted:

The best thing about Alien Vendetta is that it throws a couple of easy 50-(weak)monster levels at you after the gauntlet clusterfucks that pop up every nine maps or so.

Keep playing, it's a fantastic WAD.

EDIT: Can someone remind me what Map20 is again? I do remember it giving me hell, but I can't remember the specifics.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

The best thing about Alien Vendetta is that it throws a couple of easy 50-(weak)monster levels at you after the gauntlet clusterfucks that pop up every nine maps or so.

Keep playing, it's a fantastic WAD.

EDIT: Can someone remind me what Map20 is again? I do remember it giving me hell, but I can't remember the specifics.

The huge gently caress off pyramid level. "misiri halek"

I don't understand the HUGE hate for it though, since I actually sorta like playing it from a pistol start though it does drag on and on.
I don't think it deserves WORST LEVEL EVER though even if its an unwieldy beast.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I loved looking at Misri Halek, but in terms of size and in some points navigation, it's indeed far from my favorite.

AV was pretty good overall about not falling into looking like a bad Plutonia or Hell Revealed clone, though, visually speaking. Map24? (Dark Dome) was the only real offender I remembered, but it made it up with some visually fantastic hell levels elsewhere. Of course, then Map29 had to go and put in the original Revenant Curve that has been reproducing itself like a mimetic virus in the minds of mappers ever since.

On a side note, it's cool to see people taking any opportunity to bring up their hate-on for KDiZD. :rolleyes:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lawman 0 posted:

I don't understand the HUGE hate for it though, since I actually sorta like playing it from a pistol start though it does drag on and on.
I don't think it deserves WORST LEVEL EVER though even if its an unwieldy beast.

it's really really slow and plodding, which is the oppisite of how AV should play (and it's surprisingly underpopulated for a map that size). IIRC most servers that run coop games on AV have a setting that automatically skips that map.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Misri Halek was an absolute nightmare on Hardcore mode, that much is for sure. gently caress that level forever.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm trying to play Doom 64 EX and it's working well, except there is no music. I found a link to a page that has some music, but the link is dead. (doom2.net)

Does anyone have a link to the music?

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
While I admire the design of Misri Halek I've only played through it twice. It's just too drat long.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kakumei posted:

Misri Halek was an absolute nightmare on Hardcore mode, that much is for sure. gently caress that level forever.

gently caress Misri Halek in general. Who thought that putting a slow-placed maze level that takes like an hour to complete was a good idea in a MegaWAD that's all about huge monster hordes?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I just finished a huge playthrough. First all of Ultimate DOOM, then KDIZD, then DOOM ][. Now I'm looking for something else.

Alien Vendetta sounds somewhat familiar, so I might have played it a while ago, but I can't remember. My other choice is probably http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/2002:_A_Doom_Odyssey - Anyone play this?

I generally liked KDIZD, but I'll agree with the sentiment that there was too much stupid backtracking. I got lost way too much.

Edit: I'd like to stick to vanilla monsters and weapons, if possible.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
AV really sucks in the mid teens because the levels just go on forever but after the hour long pyramid maze it picks up again.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It certainly gives Z1M3 a run for its money.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I liked TNT. I'll concede that it had some really dumb level designs though, such as MAP04 (Wormhole) which had the exit positioned so that you could effectively bypass 75% of the map.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

manero posted:

I just finished a huge playthrough. First all of Ultimate DOOM, then KDIZD, then DOOM ][. Now I'm looking for something else.

What other WADs have you already played? I've been enjoying Scythe 2 a lot - a megawad of reasonably sized levels that have great architecture but are hard to get lost in with great gameplay and barely any bullshit traps. Also, although I'm sure you've seen these already, the cacowards are great for finding good WADs and the first post here has a nice list.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lawman 0 posted:

Ah, that. gently caress Misiri Halek. :argh:

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

SwissCM posted:

Barrels o' Fun is awesome :colbert:

Agreed. especially after all those city levels in Doom2.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

ToxicFrog posted:

pre:
Entering: The Chasm
:wtc::wtc::wtc:

Me and my friends used to play DM on this level for hours. I'd get a phone call in the evening after dinner:

"Level 24?"
"Sure."
*click*

Then it was time to fire up the US Robotics 56k modem and drift away. I recently replayed Doom 2, and even now, 15 years later, I remember that level like an old childhood bedroom.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Hahah reminds me of people now and COD. "Call of the Dead?" "Sure!" *click*

Some things never change. :shobon:

I used to love DMing with Doom 2. The satisfaction of sneaking up on my friends and throwing a BFG shot at them was great. This was when Doom 2 launched of course, so multiplayer definitely wasn't what it is now. This was exciting stuff!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Chinook posted:

I'm trying to play Doom 64 EX and it's working well, except there is no music. I found a link to a page that has some music, but the link is dead. (doom2.net)

Does anyone have a link to the music?

Bummer, it looks like no one has a link. Doom2.net is still down, and I can't find the music using google. (All forums post I find link to that site which is not active). If anyone throws them up on a site for me I'll sing their praises.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Chinook posted:

Bummer, it looks like no one has a link. Doom2.net is still down, and I can't find the music using google. (All forums post I find link to that site which is not active). If anyone throws them up on a site for me I'll sing their praises.
Doom 64 EX gets the music straight from the rom, so if you're not hearing it, there's a problem with either the port itself or the rom you're using. Have you tried checking the options to see if the music volume was turned all the way down or something?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

manero posted:

Alien Vendetta sounds somewhat familiar, so I might have played it a while ago, but I can't remember. My other choice is probably http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/2002:_A_Doom_Odyssey - Anyone play this?

I generally liked KDIZD, but I'll agree with the sentiment that there was too much stupid backtracking. I got lost way too much.

Play AV, it's pretty much a classic, though it has a much different design philosophy than Vanilla Doom iwads.

Also it's probably where you should figure out that most custom Doom wads are not made with "UV is the default skill setting" in mind.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Lork posted:

Doom 64 EX gets the music straight from the rom, so if you're not hearing it, there's a problem with either the port itself or the rom you're using. Have you tried checking the options to see if the music volume was turned all the way down or something?

Yeah. The instructions point out that I should go get music from that site. I don't hear any music and I've played with the settings. Oh well.

It's very different than Doom, though, the game itself. Seems sort of clunky, but I'm going to try it out and see what people like about it.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Chinook posted:

Yeah. The instructions point out that I should go get music from that site. I don't hear any music and I've played with the settings. Oh well.

It's very different than Doom, though, the game itself. Seems sort of clunky, but I'm going to try it out and see what people like about it.
I have Doom 64 EX and it has the music out of the box and no instructions to download it from anywhere. Are you sure you didn't get the really old remake version (called Absolution TC) by mistake?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

tombom posted:

What other WADs have you already played? I've been enjoying Scythe 2 a lot - a megawad of reasonably sized levels that have great architecture but are hard to get lost in with great gameplay and barely any bullshit traps. Also, although I'm sure you've seen these already, the cacowards are great for finding good WADs and the first post here has a nice list.

I haven't played much beyond the vanilla stuff, at least in the last 15+ years :)

I fired up AV, and it's pretty good, so far. I'm up to Map04 or something, and I totally had a "I've played this before!" flashback, so I must have played it at least once years and years ago.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
All Doom and Quake Games are on sale today on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/quakecon_doom
If you somehow still don't have these games, now is a great time to get them.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Alpha3KV posted:

All Doom and Quake Games are on sale today on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/quakecon_doom
If you somehow still don't have these games, now is a great time to get them.

:circlefap:

Let's see, of these I'm lacking D3X, Final Doom, Master Levels, both Q2 expansions, and Team Arena... hey wait a second, this is just Doom and Quake! As you said! No Heretic/Hexen love? Oh well, I already legitimately own all those.

FYI, there's also http://store.steampowered.com/sub/11027/ which is all id and Bethesda games. So it's the above pack, plus Brink, Call of Cthulhu, Commander Keen, Fallout 3 + expansions, Heretic, Hexen, Hexen expansion, Hexen 2 (no Heretic 2?), Hunted: The Demon's Forge, RtCW, Rogue Warrior, Spear of Destiny, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Wolf3D all for $70. Not a bad deal, not bad at all. Hell, for Oblivion and Fallout 3 alone, that's worth it. Hmm...

Full news article here: http://store.steampowered.com/news/5990/

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Team Fortress 2 promo items are dumb, but the one you get for buying Quake 4 (ugh) is the Quake 1 rocket launcher. The reason I think people in this thread will appreciate it is how it's placed on the screen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
420 ammo hellllll yeah