Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

I was excited about the toyota subie powered sports car but for 25k you only get 200 hp. Meh, I will buy a 500hp mustang and supercharge it. Oxcart owns.

Isn't it supposed to be really light though? But yeah I see your point, hell a base Mustang or Camaro has 300hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

tobu posted:

I've been fairly interested in the Hyundai Veloster which is destined for Australia sometime later this year. It's got a suicde door but terrible looking wheels and a fat arse.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/124151/hyundai-veloster-review-first-drive/

Its got more than a little Megane III coupe in it, although the A pillar area is quite different.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with the new Hyundai Elantra? I'm considering one, because roughly 22k buys a loaded one, with a comforting 10 year warranty. It looks great outside and in, and it took first place in Motor Trend's recent sedan comparison. But I have no knowledge of Hyundai's current reputation for quality.

Is a 2012 Elantra as good of a value as it seems? Thanks bros. :love:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

jiggaman0204 posted:

Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with the new Hyundai Elantra? I'm considering one, because roughly 22k buys a loaded one, with a comforting 10 year warranty. It looks great outside and in, and it took first place in Motor Trend's recent sedan comparison. But I have no knowledge of Hyundai's current reputation for quality.

Is a 2012 Elantra as good of a value as it seems? Thanks bros. :love:

I've had my eye on them a little as well. I rented a base model a business trip a few months back and my overall impression was very good. Smooth ride, tons of space, felt light, quality interior. Rear seat legroom felt tight to me. Trunk was huge. I can rarely get all the gear I travel with into the trunk, but it fit without issue.

Definitely the best car I've rented, but I wind up with a bunch of lovely rentals (Last year has been HHR twice, Chevy A loving veo, Hyundai Accent, Dodge Charger, and some others I can't even remember). My daily driver is a 99 Corolla so any new car (besides the loving Chevy Aveo) feel pretty nice to me.

A lot of people say that Hyundai now is basically how Toyota was in the 90s. I can't speak to that completely, but I imagine they try to make stuff pretty reliable if only so their generous warranty doesn't bankrupt them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In that rough class I think the Elantra is pretty drat good. I get rental cars a lot.

My money, at $22K, would be on a Focus SE hatch, I think. Definitely worth a drive in that segment.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The Focus is definitely more of a driver's car, but you'll spend a lot more to get the same level of equipment as the Elantra, and once you go through Ford's packaging scheme the price will probably end up on another planet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

NOTinuyasha posted:

The Focus is definitely more of a driver's car, but you'll spend a lot more to get the same level of equipment as the Elantra, and once you go through Ford's packaging scheme the price will probably end up on another planet.

This is a good point; I personally don't give a gently caress about things like heated rear seats and satnav but if you do care about FEATURES the Elantra is probably a better buy.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is a good point; I personally don't give a gently caress about things like heated rear seats and satnav but if you do care about FEATURES the Elantra is probably a better buy.

That's the opposite of reality, the Focus price is jacked up specifically because they throw in a bunch of useless gadgets like Sync, then a $1000 sunroof that somehow isn't standard on a car that's already over twenty thousand dollars base, which is how you end up with a $25k Focus and you have to spend even more for the crappy lemon-status Ford My Touch navigation system. The difference between that and a comparable Elantra ends up something like five grand.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Whoa, whoa... Sync is awesome, not a "useless gadget."

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I ended up going with an Elantra. I test drove a Cruze, which was decent but overpriced. Plus, you get far less gadgets and the back seat is tiny.

The Focus is also much more expensive than the Elantra for a similar option sheet. Plus, I find its front end hideous.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jiggaman0204 posted:

I ended up going with an Elantra. I test drove a Cruze, which was decent but overpriced. Plus, you get far less gadgets and the back seat is tiny.

The Focus is also much more expensive than the Elantra for a similar option sheet. Plus, I find its front end hideous.

How did the 3 drive compared to each other?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

PT6A posted:

Whoa, whoa... Sync is awesome, not a "useless gadget."

(Full disclosure: I work for Big Bill, but) Seconding this. Sync is amazing compared to a lot of the generic bluetooth integration in a lot of cars. I haven't used it with an Android phone, but if you've got an iPhone/Windows Phone, it really is a great experience.

On top of that, when did we become so entitled that every car above $20k has to have a sunroof?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrSaturn posted:

(Full disclosure: I work for Big Bill, but) Seconding this. Sync is amazing compared to a lot of the generic bluetooth integration in a lot of cars. I haven't used it with an Android phone, but if you've got an iPhone/Windows Phone, it really is a great experience.

It works fine with an Android phone, as far as I know. I only tried to make calls, but it was able to do that without a hitch, with full contacts integration. I don't know if any of the text messaging features work. I also really love the iPod integration. It's very nice to be able to change songs without looking, or even taking your hands off the steering wheel.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

How did the 3 drive compared to each other?

The Cruze drove quietly, and absorbed potholes well. The Focus was the least quiet but seemed to be solidly planted. The Elantra's engine was as quiet as the Cruze when maintaining speed or accelerating moderately, but got a bit loud when I floored it.

Since I do mostly highway driving I didn't care one bit about redline performance or the ability to handle twisting backroads. Thus I chose the Elantra, which offered the most highend options, for the least money, with the best interior and backseat room, and the longest warranty.

I entered the test drive process not knowing which of the 3 to buy. My wife and I drove the Elantra last, and we both immediately knew it was the right choice.

EDIT: the Focus's build quality was excellent, but I believe most consumers will get more use and value out of the Elantra's goodies than out of the Focus's ability to eat up tight turns. But maybe that's because I have kids, and I'm not in my 20s anymore.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 2, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
If someone told 2005 me that the 3 best small cars in the US in 2011 would be made by Ford, GM and Hyundai I'd have laughed.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

If someone told 2005 me that the 3 best small cars in the US in 2011 would be made by Ford, GM and Hyundai I'd have laughed.

Me too. Especially Kia/Hyundai. The Elantra, Sonata, and Optima are all great looking cars that pack on the features and keep the price low. I would expect them to shrink the 10 year warranty soon; these cars are just too good.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The only problem is they are not the best small cars unless your best factors include gotta have it factor.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Elephanthead posted:

The only problem is they are not the best small cars unless your best factors include gotta have it factor.

Then what is?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Why a 1991 Miata of course.

And my GF bought a car last week and it also came down to a choice between the Focus and the Elantra and we went the other way (Focus), mostly because the Ford dealership was really eager to sell and we got them down below invoice. Still I was super impressed with the Elantra and even the new '12 Accents are nice, with a solid interior.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Another glowing review for the Boss:
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2011/08/02/track-tested-2012-ford-mustang-boss-302/

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Out of curiosity, what do you think is the ideal form for making and giving a brief test drive review?

I've always been curious about how you can evaluate something like that.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

MrSaturn posted:

On top of that, when did we become so entitled that every car above $20k has to have a sunroof?

It's "Big Ballmer" now. :colbert:

There's a lot of talk about Sync not being so great with WP7, (no USB, bluetooth doesn't work with voice commands).

Fake Edit: Looks like most if not all of the Sync issues might be fixed with Mango.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

travisray2004 posted:

Then what is?

Probably the Civic, honestly. It's funny and ironic that it's now the most milquetoast new car in the segment, but it's also probably the best people-moving appliance in the segment. It has solid fuel economy, decent options, excellent reliability, and a cavernous interior.

E: Full disclosure, I am kind of a Honda fanboy. On the other hand, from everything I've seen, I'd probably get the Focus hatch or the Cruze with the economy package and six-speed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the civic is probably the fourth best car in the segment, most of its competitors get better fuel economy, have cheaper options, are similarly reliable and have sizeable interiors

like the civic does not do anything better than any other car except carry the honda name

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I daily drive an 07 Civic Si, and I couldn't agree with KYOON more. The Civic is by no means the best car in its class, especially since the 2012 cheapens up an already less than impressive interior.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
We had an '05 Civic and I miss it daily, even though we replaced it with a Saab convertible. :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Faerunner posted:

We had an '05 Civic and I miss it daily, even though we replaced it with a Saab convertible. :(
There is something wrong with you. Unless your Saab is anything other than a manual-transmission Aero. Then there's something else wrong with you.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the civic is probably the fourth best car in the segment, most of its competitors get better fuel economy, have cheaper options, are similarly reliable and have sizeable interiors

What competitors get better economy?

Am I missing something:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

very good now try not comparing fuel econ specials

the elantra is BIC and everyone else gets the same highway fuel economy

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

very good now try not comparing fuel econ specials

the elantra is BIC and everyone else gets the same highway fuel economy

Okay

Sure the Cruze is a larger car but I didn't know what else to put for the forth one. What other competitors were you thinking of?

Besides I think you may well find the economy of direct injection models drop off markedly after a few years of usage, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Toyota all had that problem with their DI petrol models and the technology hasn't really changed. Only time will tell.

dissss fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 4, 2011

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

dissss posted:

Okay

Sure the Cruze is a larger car but I didn't know what else to put for the forth one. What other competitors were you thinking of?

Besides I think you may well find the economy of direct injection models drop off markedly after a few years of usage, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Toyota all had that problem with their DI petrol models and the technology hasn't really changed. Only time will tell.

What website is this?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

fueleconomy.gov

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dissss posted:

Okay

perhaps all better was a bit overstating it, more like "not a class leader" would be more accurate; my larger point is that the Civic does not do anything particularly well. it's a fine car, it's just about fourth best in the segment. i don't think that's a controversial opinion at all.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The manual Cruze Eco also gets the same 33 combined. It's probably safe to say that fuel economy is pretty much the same across all these cars, but since the Civic is down one gear on both the MT and AT (other than the Focus which is still on a 5 MT) the performance probably suffers a bit.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The car review wobble. Maybe the Civic really is the 4th best, but it's probably still pretty good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pretty much any small car you can lay 18K on at this point is pretty good and this derail is kind of silly so my apologies for that one.

I drove a new Passat the other day. It was very nice in terms of ride and drive for a midsize sedan, but the 2.5 is pretty soft for a car of its size. I can't imagine it being particularly competitive against the Sonata, and they're going to build like 140,000 of them per year in TN soooooo... not so good.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

perhaps all better was a bit overstating it, more like "not a class leader" would be more accurate; my larger point is that the Civic does not do anything particularly well. it's a fine car, it's just about fourth best in the segment. i don't think that's a controversial opinion at all.

As someone who just spent 6 months agonizing over a new economy car purchase, I can attest to the Civic being extremely average in appearance and performance. It's not 2004 anymore, Honda.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

InitialDave posted:

There is something wrong with you. Unless your Saab is anything other than a manual-transmission Aero. Then there's something else wrong with you.

It's a 2000 9-3SE with the Aero package. And an automatic.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It would be nice if Chrysler came out with these ads last week while this thread was still active.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBRLZjOz2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXFV6242g-8

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I don't normally like car commercials but that second one is awesome and such a perfect marketing thing to do. If Dodge knows what's good for them, they should plaster that one all over TV.